Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/200470
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The overall Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

Is knight fall not that good anymore? I have sets of hierarch voice and reliquary sitting here.

it was never good

→##

I certainly had a natures claim planned for the SB, i have it in the tappedout page i think. how are you liking the list?

i actually basically have it built, i cant wait to test it at a local. Im going to play ssbm tonight, but i think tomorrow they run modern so i could go give the list a run and see how it works at my local. It isnt perfect because im missing a couple fetches but it works for me.

What does your decks pretty good hand look like?

>inb4 babby assembled his meme deck

what's the deck list?

is it budget?

kill yourself immediately

It's somewhat budget. I spent about 300 bucks on it over the course of a couple days. I had several of the cards or replacements nearby, and Im currently borrowing a couple fetches and replaced a couple (a basic land, a smoldering marsh, and an academy ruins with a buried ruin). Replaced a third serum visions with a breaking//entering which are themselves replacements for glimpses, but the deck is very playable as it is. sorry about the rotation, uploading from phone and all

you can edit the pictures on your phone you troglodyte

and what happens on turn 8 ?

What do you mean turn 8

I did but i couldnt find the edited one after baka. I did it again for you

am I retarded? why hedron crab?

M E M E M A G I C

To put shit in the graveyard for Spellweaver Helix
You know, the win condition

because you're playing fetch lands and life from the loam. standard use case is you mill yourself at least 12 for 1 mana (which can win you the game if you have spellweaver in hand), and more if it sticks around on the board. worst case is they remove it and you trade 1 for 1 anyways.

didnt realize it was target player. whoops.

Forest
Stomping Ground
Arbor Elf
Utopia Sprawl
Stone Rain
Molten Rain
Goblin Darkdweller

>yfw you're against the mirror
>yfw when they win the die roll and stone rain your 1-land hand

Current deck list. Dropped Wildspeaker and added another Thragtusk-bro.
Mirror match up is literally who counts to three first.

Anything I should know about infect? Just now picking it up

seppuku

Learn to consider every single path of play.

Watch Tom Ross play.

Learn to count to 10.

intimidate your opponent into misplaying.

Carefully consider all possible plays and outcomes for the turn based on what you opponent might be holding and how you may be able to stop him or if it might be better to let him do his thing and swing for lethal another turn. Then shut off your brain, turn your Glistener Elf sideways, blow your Vines and watch the tron player cry.

Prepare for salt.

I'll keep

Im gonna run this in a Mono Green Budget aggro deck

sure am glad my picture uploaded

With classic cards like this

Smoke a blunt and then realize that you have all the time in the world to think about your choices. It's the other guy who wants to get it to turn 6

Fuck your lands

>wasting a slot on growth

Meme magic indeed

count again. become immense is 5G

>not putting a second growth rather than probe to ensure elf doesn't get bolted before you untap

As a Jundfag, I like when you have this hand. I have a good chance to stop you if you're on the play and you auto-lose if you are on the draw.

I like that you can (retrace) Raven's Crime yourself in a pinch to pitch the combo.

yeah my best hands against you are like

pendelhaven
Breeding pool
noble
2 agent
blessing
vines

pray you don't have two discard spells on the play

also, way to grab a garbage bolt printing

You underestimate the power of Inkmoth Nexus.

>can't Abrupt Decay / Maelstrom Pulse / Dreadbore it
>can't make you sacrifice it to Liliana of the Veil
>flying
>you can animate it whenever you want

>Playing Jund unironically
Disgusting

it depends on how much pressure im under. also at Charlotte one dude crumbled my nexus to dust and it felt kind of bad.

>being disgusted by the idea of others having a good time with top tier decks

I'm having a hard time seeing this behavior as anything but jealousy.

Heh, I like M11's Lightning Bolt the best. I just took the MM2 version because it's the latest printing.

Yeah I guess. I absolutely LOVE Bolting the Noble Hierarch, and from all that gained tempo it's much easier to start flinging removal spells on anything you have left.

Crumble to Dust sounds kinda slow though. I understand bringing it in because it can be a blowout, but man it's scary thought to tap out for a counterable spell when you have an Inkmoth Nexus on the battlefield. I like Fulminator Mage in this matchup, it feels safer.

lots of people are too stupid to bolt the noble. and I agree with your thoughts on crumble - that's why I wasn't expecting it at all. I guess it worked out for him, but I'm gonna blame that on me keeping ass hands bc I had just been sitting around for 3 hours waiting for the round to start.

Who else play against themselves to test each deck and learn new strat?

I have two dice and roll them to see the power of each force 20 = full legion 1 = small outpost. I run a tally and have head cannon with each decks conflicts eg: White setting in Athens and fighting off encroaching green beasts, deeper in green territory come black who aim to spread disease, red/white is a faction split from Athens that joined a planeswalker,)

Any Bant Eldrazi players here? What are your 3-drops: Skyspawner or Reshaper?

So I'm going to a big local tourney tomorrow. Running U/G infect. It's gonna look like similar to turtenwalds list.

2 Forest
2 Verdant Catacombs
3 Windswept Heath
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Pendelhaven
3 Breeding Pool
4 Noble Hierarch
4 Glistener Elf
4 Blighted Agent
1 Viridian Corrupter
2 Twisted Image
1 Distortion Strike
2 Apostle's Blessing
4 Become Immense
4 Might of Old Krosa
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Vines of Vastwood
1 Dismember
1 Spell Pierce
4 Mutagenic Growth

Sideboard
2 Spell Pierce
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Dispel
3 Nature's Claim
1 Unravel the AEther
2 Dismember
3 Wall of Roots
1 Twisted Image
1 Grafdigger's Cage

Local meta is usually composed of jund jeskai grixis eldrazi zoo affinity merfolk scapeshift

Any suggestions?

Nigga that's autistic as fuck

Son. What are you doing?

as someone else said, that's unbelievably autistic. that said, I do pilot decks against each other myself and I will probably start doing what you described. the hardest part is trying to make decisions as though I don't have perfect information when I really do.

>and I will probably start doing what you described
SON. Why?

honesty I've never liked wall of roots in infect. I always run invisible stalker in that spot, though I admit it's kind of a pet card. my advice is to do everything confidently and if you're dead on board, jam into whatever removal they're representing. sometimes they just don't have it.

There are no local games near me though and I only have 1 other friend that plays
mfw I witness a dice roll of 3 make a comeback over a 20 roll

>Creative thinking
>abstract way to imagine matchups
>autistic

Don't your decks have themes? why can't the themes compete against each other? Knights vs Vamps, Wolves vs Rouges and shit like that? I dont have full on fanfic for each deck, just a theme, and as for being autistic....were posting about MTG on a Nippon Weeb site, c'mon

Do you run equipment for your stalker? Like rune chanter?

no, but I usually have 3 wild defiance in the 75 and rancor in the evasion slot. people use their life totals pretty liberally as a resource against infect, especially grindy fair decks.

Is Rancor worth over apostles/distortion? I used to run it but usually board it out after game 1.

I like it, but how does it win?

Also anyone here play monkey grow? What's it like?

I count blessing as a protection spell rather than evasion. to me, rancor really only feels bad on inkmoth nexus. it's also real cute to nature's claim your own rancor against burn.

monkey grow is dope. being allowed to play force of will when everyone else isn't feels insane. it's like Jund but it trades some percentage points for super cute bullshit, so I prefer it.

How many wild defiance do you have mb?

2. I don't have my exact list with me but I think the pump suite was something like:

4 might
3 groundswell
3 mutagenic
3 become immense

I've been meaning to test with Owen's list though.

The deck is still fast and capable of t2-3 kills without groundswell. Sometimes it's underwhelming when you can't landfall specifically for that kill window around mid-late game.

I totally believe you (srs) I just haven't gotten around to testing without them yet. I also was running 10 fetch 4 fetchable so that helped with landfall a little.

I had this at the modern weekly. I had a bit of a boner.

Nah man even being on Veeky Forums and talking about Mtg that's still autistic as fuck

I've never played Affinity (although I've played against it plenty of times).

The play is dump everything but Cranial and Springleaf right?

T2 is less clear to me. Assuming no disruption: Cast Drum, cast Plating off the opal and Drum-Ornithopter, attack with Memnite and pump with Steel Overseer right?

you cast drum t1 of nexus. play and equip plating t2 I'm guessing.

Not quite, you dump everything but plating by using spring leaf tapping one of your critters to get the overseer down. Then you swing with the land turn 2 plated up and activate overseer.

Not him but turn 1 play the land, tap and play spring leaf then ornithopter, memnite and opal. Tap springleaf and opal for steel overseer. Next turn you can untap and tap him to pump the team and play a plating, tap ornithopter to equip to memnite and swing for 8

Meant to say you activate the land for the overseer trigger

I put t1 land, creature, creature, tapped land for drum, tapped drum and opal to cast overseer; pass turn. T2 I did cast plating with land and opal, used drum to equip, swing in with ornithoper because they had a blocker, pumped with overseer. 7 damage, 3 beefy creatures turn 2 aint bad at alll.
Overseer dies to a strong wind though.

Run Kitchen Finks in the sideboard. It's really, REALLY good against Burn, Jund and Grixis.

>but Infect

Dude. It's fucking amazing and it's getting a lot of attention online as of late. Lots of lists run a playset in the sideboard and it's fantastic.

Right, I forgot that drum is essentially free T1.

In Affinity everything dies to a stiff breeze. The thing I've felt losing to the deck is that the deck doesn't care. They're doing something wretched with an Overseer, Signal Pest, Ravager, OR Plating and they have more threats than you have answers.

The deck has so many fucking bad draws but by the time that becomes an issue you're stabilized against it but one of the manlands get you.

It's a weird fucking combo-aggro deck.

i LOVE it when people underestimate signal pest. And when they're DON'T underestimate it, they're spending their t3 mana to abrupt decay it, I'm swinging in with vault skirges and manlands and giving no fucks.

I've been playing Affinity since 2013 and stopped in 2015 but, despite the hate in the meta, Mox Opal has no business being legal.

Do you know how powerful Mox Sapphire is in Vintage? Good thing we can only have one on the battlefield at a time thanks to the Restricted List, or else it would be chaotic. Well, Mox Opal is pretty damn similar in Affinity, except you have 4 copies in your deck instead of 1, extra copies you draw become Lotus Petals (even better Lotus Petals if you have Arcbound Ravager on the battlefield) and it gives you mana of any color. It speeds up the deck to bullshit levels by allowing more consistent T2 Plating Equip plays.

At least the card is definitely on the DCI's watchlist. Affinity will likely get some new toys in Kaladesh and Mox Opal will get banned.

The deck is beatable even with a bunch of opals in hand and ravager on board. Sure, it feels "unfair", but if enough decks in the meta can win, then if you lose to it, it's either bad luck or your own fault for playing a deck that can't beat it.

Decks with ancient grudge and a bunch of removal (Bg/x) make affinity sweat, because if you stop them after their turn 1-2 hand dumps, they go into RDW top-deck mode. Infect can combo around affinity, especially if blessing in hand. Tron plays pyroclasm, karn, and ugin main, which is enough explanation. Jeskai control has access to stony silence, pyroclasm, electrolyze, a buttfuckload of counterspells/ other removal.

Affinity is probably the best deck game 1 in the format, but game 2/3 is an entirely different story.

You're correct about kaladesh though. If the artifacts are too gud, Affinity might get too good.

Prepare for byes against ad nauseam.

Piggy backing off cards that are stupid broken in certain decks, I'm surprised that ancient stirrings is still legal. I play R/G Tron and the consistency that the card provides the deck is absurd. At least it's only used in that one deck and is a common (I think?) so I doubt it will get the banhammer

Nth for Kiki chord

Ancient stirrings see play in Bant Eldrazi as well. The card is actually pretty broken in general.

now you've made me miss playing amulet bloom :(

Whats the current meta for land destruction?

the rg dark-dweller stone rain deck is getting a little popularity. it's still a fringe deck at best but it's good draws are ball crushing

How is this a guaranteed quit?

Most decks in modern run fuck all for basics

Spell Pierce is an amazing card.

This wouldn't be too bad.

Must be my local meta, I only see basics along with a handful of dual/ triple lands to shore up mana screw. If lots of nonbasics are a thing, then pic related becomes more viable.

Holy fack just survived a zooicide onslaught at 2 life. Turn 1 vision, turn 2 howling mine, after his turn I'm at 4 life at this point. Turn 3 Exhaustion, he plays 2 Swiftspears and brings me to 2. I draw a Cryptic, pass and he casts thoughtseize, which I counter+tap, then I go off from there.

Missing: 1 Warp and 1 sb Grafdiggers.

Gonna pick up the School/Cloud package but hot damn is it expensive. Considering an Engulf the Shores instead of Evacuate, even with 6 non-islands it looks better. Alternatively I could just cut it

>What does your decks pretty good hand look like?
Plains, Waste, Port, Vial, Mom, Mystie, Thalia

Nice to see another turns player.

I've been using this decklist for a while:

4 Thing in the Ice
4 Dictate of Kruphix
4 Serum Visions
4 Ancestral Vision
4 Time Warp
2 Part the Waterveil
2 Walk the Aeons
4 Temporal Mastery
2 Cryptic Command
4 Remand
1 Elixir of Immortality
1 Jace Beleren
1 Mikokoro, Center of the Sea
1 Minamo, School at Water's Edge
1 Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1 Inkmoth Nexus
2 Radiant Fountain
18 Island

SIDEBOARD (15)
3 Sun Droplet
1 Grafdigger’s Cage
2 Gigadrowse
3 Hurkyl’s Recall
2 Hibernation
2 Vendilion Clique
2 Spellskite

>Gonna pick up the School/Cloud package but hot damn is it expensive.

I want to buy some foil Japanese ones, not sure how expensive that's gonna run me.

hey constructedfags, i just opened a nahiri do u guys think she is going up or down in price in the future

her price right now depends entirely on standard. That being said, I can't imagine many ways her price will stay $30 forever.

just between anons, are some of those cards proxied.

Also have you seen Reid Duke's UW version?

decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/200470

I like having access to Timely Reinforcements and Path to Exile but after playing it a lot in xmage I find the Celestial Colonnade to be a really flimsy wincon.

Here's his video on it.

Hey, I'm new to mtg and I found this card (pic related). I'm a little confused as to how its effect works. Does it mean that one skeleton has to be in the graveyard, and one on the field, and the one on the field can take the other our of the graveyard? Or can I have an empty board, and the skeleton in the graveyard, and tap mana to get it back to my hand?

it's the second

you're right that normally activated abilities only work for creatures that are on the battlefield. but if it says something like "move this from your graveyard to x location" then it means that activated ability actually only works when it is in your graveyard, instead of only when it is in play. so, all that means is when it's in your yard you can pay 3 to put it in your hand