Pathfinder General - /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Vehicle shown with optional extras edition.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/prone-shooter-combat
d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/parting-blast
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monkey-lunge-combat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, as cool as the accidental exploit was, it went from "this is kinda neat" to "holy shit what" once Strength was added to the mix.

Fluffwise, they're psionic in nature. I'll amend the wording on the taboo a bit when I get the chance.

oops.

Urban Barb 17/Urogue 3 may only get 42 Dex for +16 mod, so only +56 per hit, which does give you a 16 damage per hit deficit. Of course, this is offset by a significantly higher AC/Reflex/Initiative, and +1d6 sneak attack (which admittedly, a high level character will have little to no issue stacking up), plus another 1d6 from a power charrm leaves only a +9 damage per attack difference. And then having those rogue levels means you can dump the remaining extra feats into boosting your sneak attack dice even further up.

Sounds like that's a reason for them to close the loophole for that too.

Loophole?

Can a aegis 3/warder 2 take advaced study at 5th level if they have practiced initiator (warder)?

No, you need 4 levels in a single initiator base class, archetype or PrC to qualify for Advanced Study.

Which is better for me, /pfg/?

I want to be a Dex-Fighter/Illusionist type, two weapon fighting with a Cane Sword and Greater Unarmed Strike. Practiced initiator is disallowed because the GM has declared the half-scaling sufficient. Our level cap is 10, after which we starting getting bonus feats.

My options are:

Eldritch Scoundrel Hidden Blade Rogue 10
Caster Level 10, 4th level spells
Initiator Level 10, 5th level Maneuvers w/ Feats
Sneak Attack Progression (3d6 with a Feat)
Free Weapon Finesse
Rogue Talents
+7 BAB
+3 Base Fortitude
+7 Base Reflex
+3 Base Will

Wizard 4/Warder 2/Bladecaster 4
Caster Level 9 (4th level spells)
Initiator Level 8 (4th level maneuver)
Intelligence to AC
Armiger's Mark
Free Two Weapon Fighting
Free Familiar
Free Arcane School Bonuses (Mage of the Veil)
+8 BAB
+6 Base Fortitude
+2 Base Reflex
+8 Base Will

I am open to any other suggestions you guys might have to help me get my Martial Gish on.

so could I take it if I did aegis 4 / warder 1 with initiator's soul? If so what level maneuvers could I get?

this line is causing the confusion:
>New Aegis Customizations
> The maximum levels of maneuvers and stances gained through aegis customizations is limited by those listed on Table 2-1: Archetype Maneuver Progression, although this restriction does not apply to maneuvers added to his maneuvers known through other methods, such as prestige classes or the Advanced Study feat.

could I grab level 3 maneuvers from the disciplines I chose with initiators soul, even though the customization's would lock me to level 2?

Yes, Adv Study effectively lets you grab maneuvers as if you had full progression.

I am playing a level 3 Psychic Detective (Investigator who is a 6th level psychic spellcasting class).
My DM let me take Sacred Geometry because he had never heard of it before and it works really well with my character's fluff.
Two questions:
-Which two metamagic feats should I take for [min]maximum usefulness?
-Which 1st level Psychic spells might work well with them?

So far I am thinking Extend + Persistent Spell with Burst of Adrenaline, Sleep, Vanish, and something else as spells known.

Can TWF ever be as good as two handing power attack?

I want to run a modified Hell's Rebels campaign for my players where they are Thrune agents and the secret masterminds behind the rebellion are a mint cartel.
How terrible of an idea is this?

It can when you TWF a two hander and a dragon style unarmed strike.

standard answer is if they have enough on-hit effects like sneak attack or what have you, then yes

Only if you're a Diopsid dual-wielding large longswords with Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting.

Yes, but you'll pay more feats for it.

or Stupendous Strength, from our DSP overlords

So no.

Yeah, no.

Something being good is also dependent on how costly (in gold or character resources) it takes to achieve it.

Hey, friend and I are having a discussion. Which is more useless, Prone Shooter or Parting Blast?
d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/prone-shooter-combat
d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/parting-blast
Friend is arguing that Parting Blast picks up a bit of situational usefulness by denying enemy necromancers your corpse. While that point is fair, I don't think it's enough to overcoming needing to take Reverse Toughness to do it.

Opinions of /pfg? Any other candidates for the worst feat in the game?

Just take it as a Gambler.

I wish Paizo would port Dragon Compendium over, it's all *their* stuff after all. It's kind of swingy in 3.5 "style good options and terrible options everywhere" but a lot of it was really great (and the only change from that style in PF is the consistency with which the mundane options are bad and the casters' are good).

Wanted to thank everyone from last thread for the feedback on Steelforge. Had life stuff to take care of, so direct response time is limited.

We are compiling it all and taking a good look at what people mention. More is always welcome

I don't understand prone shooter. The description about stabilizing your weapon. And the whole 'shooter' bit, makes it sounds like it should add to your attack roll.

There's always the feat for taking a standard action to increase your reach until the end of your turn without taking Lunge's penalty.

(me)
I actually found out that the PFSRD version is the errataed version. The original removed the penalty for firing a ranged weapon while prone. Which was a 3.5 mechanic that was removed coming into PF.

Though honestly, the question stands: i a feat that removes a nonexistent penalty better than Parting Blast?

Prone shooter is still better.

Essentially, any feat that assumes all has gone wrong is still worse than a feat that could contribute to things going right.

A prone shooter could save your bacon. Unlikely and would put you in a fair bit of risk to do, but it could. Parting blast takes up a feat for something you will never benefit from.

In fact, it also makes it harder for YOUR cleric to bring you back.

Prone shooter still has benefits, even if it had to be fixed from discussing a penalty that doesn't exist.

Not even DIO can say how useless that is.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/monkey-lunge-combat
Yeah, this feat is completely useless.

You actually have to find a way to provoke with your move/swift to even get a benefit from it, because it ends at the end of your turn.

Well, now we're talking about the version of Prone Shooter that did literally nothing, not the new version.

Pls more deliciously flavourful descriptions, like those elemental special materials.

There are some options clearly intended for enemy encounters or NPCs because they're useless for PCs, and that's fine. Gotta replace those Skill Focuses with something.

I would be more scared of an enemy with Skill Focus (Craft (underwater basket weaving)) than one with Parting Blast

I don't get it.

It's a Nissan Pathfinder

Forrest is that you

I'm fairly sure even without looking at them, they're holdovers from DrowAnon's Forgeworks.

This is actually correct. Those are only lightly edited from his version. One of the items from the Steelforge I release, the Transference Vellum, also originated with him

The hell does that do --
>Moves enchantments around on the cheap
Huh.

So; about those lawful/chaotic versions?

Question. I'm playing in a home Reign of Winter campaign tomorow night, starting at level 1. I made an android conjuration wizard since they get a lot of really neat bonuses, but I'm wondering if there isn't a better option. Supposedly, anything first-party is allowed.

Law and chaos are much less commonly concrete things in PF, and although DSP has precedent for dealing Axiomatic damage (courtesy of Lords of the Night), they have no analogous "upgraded" version like Sacred or Profane. If I can come up with something appropriate for them, I'll add them to the list.

Take the alternate racial feature that heals you for 2 HP per hit dice the first time each day you go below 50% HP. That gets to be really, really nice as you level up.

(me)

So, anyone have any advice on this decision?

Transference Vellum is missing some important notes about not working on temporary weapons.

A Mind Knight PsyWar can, at level 3 (the first level his Trance kicks in), use Call Weaponry to summon an infinite number of +1 X weapons and then transfer those enchantments onto permanent gear at just the cost of the Transference Vellum, since Call Weaponry explicitly calls real weaponry from across space and time.

At level 4, he can augment the power (thanks to +1 ML) and get +2 X weapons instead.

My last Pathfinder game just got delayed for the rest of the summer, after two failed attempts to get a session going in May and now June.

Console me, /pfg/

but it martial so it okei xD wiserd is real problem nerf wizen now buff pow damage

My current Pathfinder game hasn't been played for two months. Even if people's schedules really do clear up and we play, I've lost all motivation to run it.

What about Systematic and Erratic?

Wow, yeah. Errata when?

Sounds stupid desu

That's my concern.

I'm just one of the players, the GM has been putting it off, but if we wait too long, he's probably not going to be as interested.

I WAS ONE DAMN SESSION FROM WRAPPING UP MY CHARACTER ARC

>t. Paizuri

Oh shush

I mean, the downside of this is that you have to play a Mind Knight PsyWar. Call Weaponry is cool, but it falls off really quickly - its neat scaling tricks are feat locked, and half of 'em don't even work that well (looking at you, Mind Blade Knight - 'half my Psywar' level means the feat doesn't even do anything until level 10)

I'm still planning to play one in a game, but it's not the most efficient option for regular play. I could see it being a hilarious cohort for a crafter using this scheme to majorly discount early weapons, though.

Not going to lie, that's a major one that I missed. I'll talk to the bosses to see about updating the PDF if possible. If not, then I'll make sure it gets changed for any compiled release which may occur in the future

omg y u nerf marital u caster supermaces

MEMES
EMESM
MESME
ESMEM
SMEME

Got a question on the Psychic Armory soulknife archetype: Is "Swirling Panoply" supposed to be a 1st level ability? In the playtest it's a blade skill you can take, but in the pdf release it's simply given.

Sorcerer (blue dragon/orc x-blooded) 1/ Magus 4/ Arcane Trickster 1/ Evangelist (Cayden Cailean) X

Is this going to work out as well as I think it is for burst damage potential? What Magus archetypes should I take (if any)?

Try that Havoc sorcerer thing from MTT, if you can find it.

>About to start a Curse of the Crimson Throne game
>GM is an AP virgin.
>There is a teen in the group
>One of the player characters is a fighter.
>Express to the other players you are shocked someone is going to play an obsolete class.
>GM ask why is Fighter low tier
>"You know, linear fighter, quadratic wizard"
>GM: "I don't know what are you talking about"

Ah, just got the official word. It's a Bladeskill, there were just layout issues that made it look otherwise. Disregard my earlier answer, I was wrong

>quoting tvtropes
>expecting people to recognize it
S U B H U M A N

>d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/parting-blast

Is there any action to this? Can you just take one burn whenever however much?

Is this a free burn generator?

Or you just resell the weapons for infinite money..

I didn't know that the source from that expression was tvtropes.

Oh, I couldn't answer (work filters) a while back, but, I gotta say...

For something that's supposed to be AN ARTIFACT, the little orange disintegration orb is bloody WEAK (and kinda short ranged) in its small portable mode. 2d6 disintegration impulses? as an artifact?

That's basically an extra 2 dice of damage for the price of an artifact!!! OUCH!

>extra 2 dice of damage
except not, because it's not on every attack you make!

..Could you have more than one of these prepped at a time and LITERALLY go nova?

It was intended more as a "transport mode", but I can upgrade it to be more of an "option" if people want. Wondering what people feel is appropriate for the 1/turn auto-pew

From an artifact? Empowered disintegrate.

>tfw university is finished for the year
>the university's society games have wrapped up
>tfw will never play pathfinder again

unless I persuade my mates from home on d&d3.5 to move to pathfinder and I DM even though I've never DM'd before

"Empowered disintegrate" is way too much.

A more reasonable level would be, like, 6d6 or 8d6, which is the same power level as a rocket or cannonball and takes no actions from your character despite attacking every turn.

You......actually I think that would work.... Hey we finally found a use for it! Hrm at 20th level with 15 burn it would do around 150d6+510 damage, not bad.

>21 average damage
>28 average damage
Literally trivial

And screencapped for future use thanks

Let's see...

The exact wording for the first part is
>You can accept 1 point of burn to prepare a kinetic blast that automatically triggers upon your death.
which would imply that you could. However, the second part says
>If you are killed at any point before your burn is removed, Your body instantly erupts in an explosion that deals an amount of damage equal to that of your simple blast to all creatures in a 5-foot radius.
Which seems to state that, regardless of how much burn you put into it, you can only deal your simple blast in damage one time since it's a single trigger. Obviously that was the intention, but does the RAW reading support the better version?

Good, you capped the right answer and not my oops that I had to delete.

Maybe, but you or that other user (if you're not the same dude) suggesting "Empowered Disentegrate" is way too much.

If the disintegration beam is dealing about 50 damage per strike, it could be useful... and also make certain character decisions irrelevant. Even artifacts don't make character decisions irrelevant.

Nope. It just says that if you die before you remove the burn, you explode and deal damage equal to a simple blast. Not once per burn, not attack with 1 simple blast, just deal that much damage.

Do you have a big collection of these things somewhere?

dick of many things :^)

Nope, sorry

Well played

If it's around 25-30 DPR but of a total-annihilation damage type, undeterred by any resistances, immunities, reductions or hardness, uncaring whether you're a reflective tarrasque or a "LOL ALL ELEMENTS" demon, it's a handy enough extra boost. We can live with that, especially with the 'and now we make camp' mode.

Alternatively, keep it 2d6 but linked to whenever you hit something?

Disintegrate actually gets reflected by the tarrasque's carapace, m'cuck

The intent here is in no way to have a bigger death, but rather, if there's no action to accepting this burn, we've got an upgraded (hey it's a feat) 'wager' here, that ISN'T A WAGER, and thus lets you go really nuts on a cash-out concentrated mode, as opposed to the standard stake-raiser format.

I'm saying, if the sphere was not.
Currently it's 'empowered disintegrate' does mean it would reflect, and reflect is bad.

its stills bed

Oh, you're attempting to apply it to the not-a-kineticist-just-a-psionic-caster, got it.

hey guys, does the size penalty to AC apply to CMD? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but the argument came up and I could use a rules citation

Remember, if we keep it reasonable it's more likely to see use in a campaign.

Also, Forgelords can make minor artifacts, which is a consideration.

i assure you my bed is still moving

Kinky...whatcha doing user?

Reasonable yes, but that's why it does still have to be a bit better than a weak magical item.

If we consider its price to be 50k, for example, since forgelord, then we want to look at what we'd get for that value.

A 22d6 disintegrate (CL11 Level 6 spell) at-will would be 118 800gp, for use activated. An Infinite 'wand'.

The main mode is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than that, BUT, the shoulder alt-form is about equal to a level 1 "continuous" we could say, and slotless, so that would be 6*1*2000*1.5=18k after the "second function" 150% multiplier.

Sorry, forgelords?

Is that another arcforge thing?

I've always wanted to make artifacts

chasing it please help

FUCKING TRANSMUTERS GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

What are some of your favorite items? I like the Lyre of Building, just thinking of having it being some secret my character keeps around to only unleash the magic of in dire situations. Would need to get some means to hide its magical properties, but still.

Using that to topple an evil tower, disassembling some shit (as I use the components to make something useful to me), or just digging a tunnel to circumvent the terrible maze because time is of the essence seems like a great use of it. Just don't let it get found out and only whip out the big feature when the world needs it to happen.

The minor protective effect could be passed off as something else with the right characters.