40 Aesthetic Inspiration

>Imperium
Far and away the Dune movie, with its baroque costume design, grimy utilitarianism of its machinery and cultivation of distinct aesthetics across different factions.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nfYx_013UuY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Mechanics
Raygun gothic, 50s "atomic age" sci fi. Sweeping metal shapes, brassy filigree of concentric circles and huge, lumbering Wobby Wobots.

>Eldar
70s sci-fi and fantasy art. Rounded, organic shapes, crystalline structures, gaudy color and pattern choices, slapdash of various elements from "exotic" cultures.

>Necrons
Ptolemaic Egypt, but also 50s B-Movies. Elaborate angular architecture, ornate headdresses, emphasis on gold, some Roman influence ("Praetorians"). Coupled with flying saucers, stilt-legged walkers, and "death rays" seemingly powered by arcane crystals.

>Tyranids
Giger's Biomechanics work. Exposed muscle and sinew (note the ribbed texture), emphasis on fluid organic shapes, phallic/sexual imagery abound (largely focusing on females in names).

That's what I've got for now. Anybody willing to take a shot at the other factions?

Almost forgot

>Tau
80s-90s anime. Sleek, simple designs, evoking efficiency and mass production. Note the single eye on battlesuits and FW helms, a reference to the iconic Zaku.

>Far and away

Just stop. Plastic high chairs? Faux tiger print rugs? Marines in hazmat suits and welding masks? (That's Shaddam in the OP, not Leto, btw.)
The term Gothic doesn't continually appear in 40k background lore for nowt.

Mechanical sensibilities are courtesy of graphic artists with no mechanical skills whatever, Nids are not at all biomechanical in appearance and Tau are literally lazy and misguided pandering to the Gundam market - no more.

What was supposed to be the point of this thread, anyway?

To gather salt, maybe?

>Pointing out someone's inadequacies is salty
???

The purpose was to open discussion for 40k's artistic influences.

Clearly this thread is not for you, as your autism has left you creatively sterile.

No, as in, the thread is a slightly elaborate scheme to get salt/whatever by proposing something that others will perceive is wrong.

Or, you know, a bait thread.

I mean, c'mon, OP claims the Imperium aesthetic comes from the Dune movie, and uses terms like "baroque" and "utilitarianism," when the IoM is anything but those.

You are quite off your rocker if you're suggesting that Dune wasn't a major influence for many aspects of 40k, including its aesthetics.

Show me a picture that indicates the aesthetic influence that Dune had on 40k. I remember a lot of the 3e art, and I fail to see how much of it was inspired by the movie.

OP claims the Dune movie, which, to my knowledge, may or may not match the art that went with the actual books.

Here's just a basic one for you. Here you see the Navigators in Dune...

...and here is classic 40k art of a Navigator.

The op said the imperium gets its utilitarian look from dune, except very very little of the imperium can even come close to being described as utilitarian

I'm gonna quote the OP
>grimy utilitarianism of its machinery

Meaning, the huge, boxy, ugliness of 40k vehicles.

Tell me this Spice Harvester couldn't pass for some IG vehicle or another.

This should be a cut scene in Battlefleet Gothic

youtube.com/watch?v=nfYx_013UuY

Heavy doses of 2000 AD, at least back towards the rogue trader era.

Nobody's mentioned Starship Troopers yet?

>Dune is the closest thing we'll ever get to a big budget live action 40k film

Yes

It's not covered in hilariously oversized cannons.

the age of strife, based on what little art work there is of it, is very, very mad max (not the first movie ofcourse)

>setting with a space emperor
>specialized class of mutant humans who enable ftl travel
>space jihads
>space messiah
>neo-feudal space empire

Clearly no one at GW ever read Dune, the only prior work of fiction that matches 40k setting design on a large scale, rather than just little inspirations as with most borrowed ideas in the setting.

As for the movie, I thought most of what it portrayed matched what I pictured in my head when I had read the books decently. Maybe not the Fremen, but most of the rest.

and it maybe entirely coincidental, but the age of strife reminds me of some of Luis Royo's artwork. Interestedly enough, you can see some clear 40k influences in the Starsiege Tribes art he did.

>not the good movie ofcourse
How unfortunate.

Ork aesthetics are basically Mad Max.

I actually kind of dislike the Ork aesthetic...
It seems much too human and it doesn't make sense, except for Gorkamorka. Ork vehicles and equipment looks like it's made from scavenged, pre-manufactured materials. But surely in most cases the Orks themselves manufactured all that stuff, so why is perfectly rectangular chunks of metal etc.

It should be crudely poured and cast metal with lumpen, stringy rubber or plastic.

Do you mean clearly someone DID read Dune?
also
>lasguns
>flamers
>"Imperium" in lieu of Empire