What's Veeky Forumss opinion of this series?

What's Veeky Forumss opinion of this series?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=71AzW9_p4Jg
youtube.com/watch?v=eRGMsxotwuE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pitch black was alright

This.
Silly movie that was better than bad (so exceeded expectations) but not quite good, followed by some awful movies and that one mediocre video game.

Mostly Diesel's vanity project, and it shows, and it's ugly. Not a good character by any measure.

An accurate depiction of your typical Drow PC.

A fun ride for the most part

I'm watching it atm and it got me to asking the question.
It's good so far, I'm liking it.

The kid is an /r9k/tier autist, though.

oh hush.

Pitch Black was pretty damn good and Chronicles of R was ok.

So every drow is a Mary Sue?

Exactly!

Pitch Black was a Traveller scenario, except Vin was the only guy who knew the GM was playing a survival scenario one-shot from the back of an old gamer mag, and built his character appropriately.

After the almost TPK of the one shot, Vin pressured the GM into running another game in that universe so Vin could play his pet character. Vin hosted, paid for dinner and snacks and it was his birthday, so the GM pandered pretty hard to Riddick, even letting Vin establish that he was the last of something.

Only one other player from the last campaign stuck around for the rest of the vanity campaign, the others just showed up to dump exposition and try out their weird genasi priestess.

For the third campaign, not wanting to run another solo game, the GM invited all the other players to roll mercenaries hunting a dangerous criminal. He didn't tell them until the last possible moment that it was Vin playing Riddick, with all the xp he got from conquering the Necromunger Empire.

Guilty pleasure of mine, I love that he made an effort with lore, a beautiful setting with stuff moderately fleshed out that allows Vin's love of Sci-fi and fantasy to shine through.

Love them.

Nah, but most PCs are, yeah?

The guy who played the Imam is a good player but he can be pretty That Guy at times.

Like the arctic ice adventure, where even at the end he wouldn't reveal if he was infected or not, or during that other one where he wouldn't just wear the goddamn MacGuffin glasses, until the beat-down, drag-out pvp.

The thumbnail makes it look like he's wearing a miniskirt with a white trim around the bottom.

first one was a great little underrated sci-fi classic, along the lines of Event Horizon

second one sucked balls. Some bits are enjoyable but it's just so stupid. It doesn't even seem to be set in the same universe as the first one.

third one realised that the second one sucked balls and decided to get back to its roots. Really just a cheap imitation of the first one, but it's fairly enjoyable

Am I the only one who liked the animated movie?

>Dark Fury
Not too bad. Honestly, one of the better ones in regards to worldbuilding. I liked them all, but Chronicles was the weakest.

Pitch Black is great as a stand alone sci-fi horror movie
Chronicles onward is this weird science fantasy thing that makes little sense

as others have said its Vin Diesels pet project that he just can't help coming back to and it makes enough money each time that he and the studios can afford it

Personally I would love to see Vin do a straight up fantasy film considering how much he loves D&D

Check out The Last Witch Hunter. Modern Fantasy. I liked it well enough in theaters.

Well... he did make The Last Witch Hunter, though I haven't seen it yet.
Sorry, Vin, I know you're in this thread.

I liked all of them. I don't get why so many people on Veeky Forums get so elitist and feel like they have to dislike something to justify the things they do like.

Pitch Black was good.
Chronicles was good.
Dark Fury was good.
Riddick was good.

Pitch black is great
Chronicles is ydecen if you watch the directors cut
RIDDICK was alright.

Vin is a great guy and a fa/tg/uy so Im a little biased towards him and his movies

>ydecen
Meant to say decent.
Not sure what happened there

The Vidya games are legit GOAT

This. They had their gripes, but they ended up great.

Reality rejecting your statement.

The directors cut really does fix a number of problems.

Can't believe they cut out an entire character who explained damn near everything

If you accept it as a cheesy action film series, they're really fun to watch.

Pitch Black: Good
Chronicles of Riddick: So Bad that it became Good
Riddick II: Forgettable
Escape from Butcher Bay: Phenominal
Escape from Dark Athena: Underwhelming but Good

Holds the distinction of being one of single-digit franchizes where the video games were better than the films on aggregate.

Great worldbuilding and a setting I'd like to see more of, terrible plots and way too much focus on Vin Diesal's favorite sci-fi campaign PC.

just fucking kill him fuck
was alright

youtube.com/watch?v=71AzW9_p4Jg

>ST 8, PE 7, EN 7, CH 1, IN 5, AG 7, LK 5
>Heavy Handed, Night Person
>Melee, Unarmed, Sneak

Pitch Black was good, it should have ended there.

Surely I'm not the only one that liked the Necromongers parts.

I like it. Escape from Butcher Bay was awesome.

I thought the kneeling ships were pretty cool

I'm actually a fan, not just because it's they're pretty okay kind of modern pulp movies, but because... Well, he's making stuff that's original.

Pretty much every movie made now is a remake or a reboot of something else. Books, TV shows, other movies, movies from other cultures, comic books... Seriously, Hollywood is just raiding the dustbin of shit that's been made before to bastardize for money. Hell, it's ruined Tim Burton; guy made some great original stuff, then got caught up making remakes and his career kind of turned to shit.

Vin Diesel actually has the balls to produce new IP and doing shit he loves. You can tell he's a DM and a writer who can at least get some shit done right because he loves worldbuilding and fleshing out a setting. I'm biased as fuck in favor of what we've been force fed for the past decade of the same old shit we've had before. And while new IP is often just dramatic Oscar bait, Vin's actually producing some schlock that's fun and accessible. I'm not saying it's not cheesy action films, but I'm at least saying he's doing something original where originally is the exception rather than the norm.

They were aesthetically amazing.

Supposedly the plot will shift back towards them as the focus of the next Riddick movie, so there's that.

Looks like art deco meets gothic cathedrals.

There are at last two more movies planned now that Vin got enough money from the Fast and the Furious franchise
Riddick 4 is titled Furia and will apparently be a prequel/origin story
There will also be a spinoff TV show on SyFy called Merc City

Fucking awesome, needs a third video game as Butcher Bay and Dark Athena were great.

Also, I remember an interview where Vin Diesel mentioned that he took inspiration from Warhammer 40k in making Riddick as well as a rumour where he brought a pack Blood Angels Assault Marines.

The actual plot stinks to high heaven and the pacing is fucked.

But the fact is Vin Diesel does a damn good fucking Riddick and you love to watch his mary-sue permabulk assassin antics anyway.

Well meme'd

Reminds me of Rome with the art deco.

>prequel
Well fuck, looks like you're right. That seems kinda odd given the extended ending scene in the DVD release of the last Riddick movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=eRGMsxotwuE

>It doesn't even seem to be set in the same universe as the first one.
Yeah, this confused the shit out of me. I played and was impressed by the game, and liked the first movie, but when I tried to watch a Riddik movie I was terribly confused.

Would you guys play a game where Vin was the GM?

Maybe

Depends what he's running.
All the evidence points to him being sincerely into Veeky Forums stuff, which is a clear positive, but also being somewhat casual about rules adherence. Maybe as a GM, it' wouldn't be so bad, but you'd have to watch out for self-insert dmpcs.

Yeah. The first movie seemed to be set in a world roughly equivalent to Firefly, where humanity was in its early expansion phase, but the second seems much further into the future, with established civilizations and wildly advanced technology in some places. Then in the third movie, we're back to the low-tech wasteland, but Riddick takes shelter in some ancient ruins on what appeared to be an uninhabited planet. Where'd they come from?

But to be honest, I doubt there was much consistent worldbuilding for these movies, and they just went with whatever seemed cool at the time.

The riddick character got so much lamer in the second movie when you find out that he's a generic last of his kind chosen one.

getting his eyes shined in prison for 20 packs of menthol Kools was a much cooler origin than being an alpha furian

Were Riddick's shiny night-vision eyes really a racial trait? Because there was that scene on the prison planet where one of the Necromongers revealed to Riddick that he was also a Furyan survivor, and that guy's eyes were normal.

Also, I find it funny that even centuries/millennia into the future, criminals are still smoking menthols.

Oh shit, Riddick was totally Melkor.

Goddamn, what a life. How many D&D players ever got their campaigns turned into movies and video games?

No, he got those eyes in prison. I think you misread the other anons post a bit.
I think he just wanted to show the difference in character building in the first and second movie with that.
And I find that to be quite accurate what he says.

>medicore videogame
nigga I'll fight you, Escape from BB was the best thing that came out of this series

Found Vin Diesel

If only, user.

If only...

Yes, correct.

The video game retconned them into a racial trait.

Never saw Pitch Black.

Chronicles of Riddick was fun. I would call it 'good,' but the over-the-top silliness of the whole thing let me enjoy it.

No movie was mostly decent. Fucking the gay out of the lesbian chick kind of made that half of the movie a bit creepy, though.