What system should I use to run a Touhou Campaign...

What system should I use to run a Touhou Campaign? I want Cute Girls throwing around obscenely over the top magical spells, but I want everyone to have their own unique sets of spells, not a universal type thing where everyone can cast everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/file/d/0B7EiMC40FKulNU5ZWHR5SkU2RVk/edit?pli=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Most of Gensokyo's residents don't have clearly-defined powers. In general, they have a sort of vague description of what they can do, and can use it in a bunch of weird ways as long as it fits that descriptor. I think something flexible like Nobilis would be good.

Also they have magical bullets, but those would be really strange to model on a tabletop.

There is a Danmaku Flowers RPG system, I can't comment on it either way.

Mutants and Masterminds. GURPS.

Strike! might actually make sense to use because of the potentially heavy combat/noncom ability differences, but it's 'ehh.'

Honestly?
If you don't want the usual answer of GURPS and Mutants and Masterminds, try OVA 2e. It's pretty free-form enough to do that (the character creation is super open) and it's super flexible and easy.

Innocents fluff and stats with Mage the Awakening spell creation.

Mutants & Masterminds would be good. And as much as I hate to say it.. GURPS is good for this as well.

The Flowers RPG is practically unplayable. It's full of arcane rules that make no sense and occasionally work against each other outright, mainly as a result of trying to ape D&D.

What you want, OP, is a different game called Tale of Phantasmal Land. It's a Touhou RPG made by someone who actually knows what they're doing, and as a result is much more solid.

Also, you could as well just use any system and implement NPCs/monsters with special abilities.

For example, with D&D 5e you could easily stat Yukari Yakumo as a commoner with 11 int/wis 12 cha and give her an ability that's like a mixture of Teleport and Gate which she can use an unlimited number of times.

I've been having fun with TriStat character creation. It's point buy and freeform like Gurps, but a bit better balanced, and with a much smaller and simpler rule set. Fun note, it's also the basis for stuff like the Sailor Moon RPG.

Anima could work, it has enough flexibility to make literally anything from japan, you just need to figure out what are the categories the characters belong. For example: Cirno would be a pure mage, with Water/Air spells; while Shirou from Fate would be a Technician/Psychic, since those two fit more to his skillset than mages.

You always have 3 ways to use supernatural powers and cause the (almost) same effect, and whatever fits more mechanically tends to require some interpretation.

You might as well just use Fudge and have the broad-strokes powers as traits and have everyone bullshit about how it helps them with everything.

Make It like Fairy Maiden Wars fangame, which is a Touhou Super Robot Wars. The battle proceeds as a standard turn-by-turn game, however as in Super Robot Wars, you can answer to an attack by attack, evasion or defense. It helps that you can also choose to be either airborne or on land whenever's your turn. What touhou part adds, is a passive mode called graze, where your evasion rise up but your acc lowers down. For bosses, the spellcards mean that the map around them turns into a danmaku pattern, which works as a debuff for you. Your spellcards are not only special attacks, but also clean a part of the pattern around you. It's really neat.

Giant Guardian Generation is a super robots system, I don't know It but you can check. FATE also seems like a feasible idea and It's fairly easy to use

You could just use FATE. It's good for each character having unique stuff

Have you got the pdf of that?
The link on 1d4chan 404's.

docs.google.com/file/d/0B7EiMC40FKulNU5ZWHR5SkU2RVk/edit?pli=1

Wow, that was fast!
Thank you!

I want to tie up Cirno

the first moment I read this I thought you said FATAL.
I wasn't sure how I should react to this.

I think in one thread it was concluded that the system in Don't Rest Your Head would with minor modifications work well with Touhou style powers. I think some user was even going to start working on a conversion (codenamed "Can't Sleep, Lolis Will Eat Me"), but not sure if anything came from it.

>toushit
>in Veeky Forums
You oblivious of history? GTFO to /jp/.

There was a pretty good Touhou thread a few months ago. /jp/ isn't a very good place to discuss using the setting for and RPG anyway. All they'd do is argue about waifus.

Veeky Forums touhou general

>12 cha

Having a game where players are normal humans who end up in Gensokyo could be fun. Having to try to find some way back to the regular world, while somehow dealing with magical lolis in funny hats, most of which probably want to eat you.

>All they'd do is argue

One could achieve something similar by sufficiently tweaking Fire Emblem PnP's system, which is basically a conversion of FE onto Veeky Forums format; Super Robot Wars itself once ran on the same engine as Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars, so most of the mechanics are translatable.