Frostgrave Saturday?

Resources
FAQ thread where you can ask to Joseph A. McCullough, Frostgrave designer (forum handle joe5mc)
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0

Online warband creator
battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

Rulebook:
mega.co.nz/#!CVF3GTIS!i0V9IaACpjj1s1Bq2wqvZII5T5ad8UULZYWW3mpefc0

Lich+Golem+Sellsword+Alchemy:
mediafire.com/folder/1e68645496dga//Frostgrave

Warhammer Townscapes: old school Warhammer Fantasy print buildings
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

Official Miniatures
20x Soldiers and a lot of bits
northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467
20x Cultists, and a lot of bits
northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7731

Wizard sheet
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXdkRYZlM5TjhRSDA/view?usp=sharing
spell cards
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXV3psZ0hOT1AwMEE/view?usp=sharing

Don't forget - you can use any miniatures from any manufacturer, regardless of their race - just make them obvious what they are.

"Required" scenery
>6x6 mausoleum
>6 special treasure token - 3 per player
>Various spooky skeletons
>A Genie
>10 inch+ high tower and enough broken wall sections to make a 12x12 ruined building
>Zone mortalis kind of board + 4 doorways
>6x statues
>1x giant worm (human sized)
>6 small buildings without roof
>6 wraiths
>a well
>4x 2" diameter discs
>6 columns or ruined columns (or re-use the statues)

If expansions are in play, add-
Hunt for the Golem
>One Granite Golem
>Five corpse markers per player
>Ruined factory terrain

Sellsword
>Six pillars
>Four additional wells
>Nullmen miniatures (suggested number: 2-5 per player)

Thaw of the Lich Lord
>Assorted cultists
>6 Rangifiers (reindeer beastmen)
>One ship
>A cart
>Seven independent doorways
>One Ghoul King
>A throne
>A large cauldron
>Banshees (1 per warband)
>A 6" wheel/circle
>A Lich Lord
>Two Wraith Knights (+1/player beyond two)

Alchemy
>One Alchemical Monstrosity
>Four Fire Flingers

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's that time again.

How do you guys like the new Wizards?

The new soothsayer look pretty awesome.
Way better than the other version of it.
That the bestcrafter and his apprentice have some kind of animal traits makes me curious what that lore will be all about.
I'm not sure which of the two is the apprentice and the master actually. Going by how the others are arranged in that phot it seems the more bestial one is actually the master.

So that's interesting.

I'm the guy who was looking for arabian knights the last thread.
And it kind of dawned on me that the Cultist ones would kinda fit the bill.

At least vaguely. The Cultist box comes with scimitars and kopesh weapons too. The armored skeletons have vaguely byzantine influences as well if i'm not mistaken.

This is the alternative I'm looking at, currently.
These are Perry, slightly cheaper and historically more accurate.
I've got a box of Haradrim from LotR from ebay I'll convert as mooks and thugs, so I figure these might also fit little better in terms of scale.

rulebook is down

Op user said he was gonna buy it in pdf. Have faith in OP user.

Where are you reading the rules?

Oh, I was just talking about the models.
The beastcrafter has a head that looks like it belongs on a tiger or another big cat and the apprentice seems to look like one of the thundercats.

is it just me, or do these models look...kinda shitty? How's the rules in practice, then?

I can't speak for these models specifically, but the other wizards and soldiers are excellent quality.
They are actually somewhere between 25mm and 28mm, i.e. between truescale and heroic, so have finer details than, say GW models, but they are smaller than Infinity models.

Here's a size comparison between various historical ranges and the GW LotR line. Manufacturers are in the filename.

>The new soothsayer look pretty awesome.
This. He'll be my new #1 pick, even though I'm currently using pic related as my wizard.

Loving the new copplestone sculpts.
You guys here the next expansion might be about barbarian hordes?

Never seen these before. Anyone get the evil barbarian with a previous Nickstarter? I thought I should have gotten one, but I don't.

Bump?

>Never seen these before.
Yeah, Northstar minis and Osprey announce these things on facebook, I usually miss them too.

They also announced 6 captains with the hired swords expansion.
4 male 2 female.

I'm a big fan of Jorah Mormont in the background here. Shaka Zulu, not so much.

You could probably get away with calling all of these female if you painted them right.

I'll probably buy them all anyway.

I love the fact I can use my old metal magic and mega minis for Frostgrave; it's so scale friendly.

Any of you guys go the whole hog and actually base your minis on snow/with a winter theme? I can't bring myself to do it, it means I can't use them on any other terrain but winter themed stuff.

I'm looking for some good Draugr to be raised undead soldiers for my Necromancer. Plain skeletons are 2spoopy and I think more recently deceased corpses adds to the unpleasantness of undead, still wielding the weapons that failed them in the last life.

I'm sure it's been argued to death, but is anyone using 2D10 or 3D6 instead of d20? If so, how do you find it compares?

>Shaka Zulu

The mic rula? The old schoola? You want a trip, He’ll bring it to ya?

>Any of you guys go the whole hog and actually base your minis on snow/with a winter theme? I can't bring myself to do it, it means I can't use them on any other terrain but winter themed stuff.
I think I'm gonna do it with all the stuff I'm buying for FG anyway. My old O&G army for WHFB was based with snow as well, so if I use minis from that army I won't have problem with that anyway.
I'm mostly conflicted about going for a cobblestone looks or just dirt. A lot of the minis I have have integral bases, that makes elaborate basing a little more difficult.
I've been tempted to put my GW skeletons and treasure markers on these bases for example.

>I'm looking for some good Draugr
The Red Box Draugr are pretty good, but Tre Manor works in 30mm rather than 28 or even 25 depending on what else you use.
There is also a german company called Stronghold Terrain, that recently split in two. So either Stronghold Terrain or Elladan sell white walkers from Game of Thrones, if you are into that.

>There is also...

Thanks for the info, I'll ook them up. I was thinking SAGA draugr but the look more like villagers rasied from the dead. The Fenris minis draugr are perfect, but they've only released 4 of them, and I'd need a few more.

You are gonna change the results from a linear distribution among results to a bellcurve.
I don't think that's a good idea really.

There is something to be said for the inherent swinginess of a d20 as well. You still have a chance if you are the underdog, which is nice.

pic related, the draugr

>A lot of the minis I have have integral bases, that makes elaborate basing a little more difficult.

Yeah, I grind the base down a bit on the concrete floor of my gaming shed and base as usual, using mdf circles and various grades of sand with tiny rocks and pieces of cork. It looks fairly generic, but fuck working those bases all the way off.

I heard Into the Breeding Pits is supposed to be more of a dungeon crawl? A whole FG warband down in a dungeon would be too many soldiers, most dungeon crawlers have 4 warriors.
Anyone know anything further?

Have any of you guys ever made a list of stuff you need for a complete bestiary?

Something like the maximum number of rats or zombies that can be on the table at once at any given time.

Is that you, Ulfsaar?

OP user here. Running into issues with cleaning the pdf for the new rulebook. Might just return it and try and find it somewhere less watermarky.

Talk with the 7chan bros, they are experts in this kind of things.

OP user here. Added the shitty version of the core pdf. Looking for a good one in the meantime.

Doing so. Hopefully, they have one or another.

>Ulfsaar
I had to google that.
I don't play Dota, so I was a bit confused.

Anyway it's a 75mm figure I considered using a snow giant or troll or something like that.

Here's another mini that could make a nice giant.

From what I see, it's RULES for dungeoncrawl, plus a new school, plus traps. There's like 4-5 scenarios, which is a bit less than expected, but it's a splat, not a campaign.

Huh. Neat.

no longer works

>Have any of you guys ever made a list of stuff you need for a complete bestiary?
So I take it nobody has a list like that?

Ahh Frostgrave. I wish I had someone to play with

Tell me of your games and warbands. Epic Campaigns? Brutal defeats? Particular Heroics? Cunning Sorcerers?

>I'm sure it's been argued to death, but is anyone using 2D10 or 3D6 instead of d20? If so, how do you find it compares?

The thing is, Frostgrave NEEDS the swinginess of D20.

People who think it's a flaw need to remember that the game is made so that even if things have gone badly in a campaign, you still have a shot.

A thug or dog CAN beat a templar, it's not just a matter of wading in with your best goons and knowing you're safe. Which is also one reason why the power level difference is not that big between the best and the worst soldiers, the dice roll is still the important part.

As soon as you reduce the swinginess, the snowball effect of winning early becomes way, way more pronounced.

I totally understand that a lot of people are sort of against it on principle, and want a more predictable outcome of fights and so on, but you need to tweak WAY more than just the dice in order for the game to not be shit if you want to change it that way.

Which is why our group remade the game from scratch, and now use a system based on D6 pools with 3 different colours of dice.

Are Beastcrafters an entirely new type of wizard, or are they just renamed witches? Or is it something like being a lich?

Entirely new type, it seems.

So I wrote a list. This is based off of the BRB and Thaw of the Lich Lord and does not take, Sellsword, Hunt for the Golem or Dark Alchemy into account. It's a WIP.

The way to read this is as follows: The numbers in parenthesis are from the random encounter table and are the maximum amount of creatures at maximum level needed each time you roll that encounter. If the numbers on the standard table differ between FG and TotLL a second number is given. The brackets contain the references to scenario specific amounts or rules related to the use of creatures to give you an idea of how many you might need.
The Mausoleum could generate dozens of skeletons over time for example so you'll likely want to have more than 2 in your collection.
Since you roll for each treasure being picked up at least once you could end up with the number below times three times the number of players present in total. Highly unlikely you'll roll that many encounters or even the same one twice though. I'll probably aim to have at least every encounter once, plus some extra for those subject to special scenario rules.

cont'd in next post.

>Frostgrave Bestiary

Armored Skeletons (3) (TotLL:4) [The Final Battle: 12]
Skeletons (2) [The Mausoleum: spawns a skeleton each turn]
Ghouls (2) (TotLL:4) [Lair of the Ghoul King 2 per player plus one for each creature phase]
Wraith [The Haunted Houses: 6]
Vampire
White Gorilla
Small Construct
Medium Construct
Large Construct
Minor Demon
Frost Giant
Snow Trolls (2) [The House of Longreach: 1]
Werewolf
Worm
Bear
Boar
Ice Spider (2)
Snow Leopard
Wolves (2)
Minor Demon
Ice Toads (2)
Zombies (2) (TotLL:3) [The Dark Cauldron: one for every creature phase]
Giant Rats (4)
Wild Dogs (2)
Imp
Genie[Genie in the bottle: 1]
Statues [The Living Museum: 6]/Column [The Complex Temple: 6]
Worm [The Worm Hunts: 1]

>Thaw of the Lich Lord Bestiary

Banshee [The Bone Wheel: one per warband, minimum 2]
Blood Crow
Death Cultists (4) [Loot the Cart:4] [The House of Longreach: 4] [The Dark Cauldron:5] [The Final Battle: 6]
Frost Wraith (2) [The House of Longreach: 2]
The Ghoul King [Lair of the Ghoul King]
Rangifier (3) [Run of the Rangifer: 6]
Spectre
Wraith Knight (2) [The Final Battle: 2 plus one for each additional player]
Zombie Troll
The Lich Lord [The Final Battle]
Human Mage, Servant of the Lich Lord [Battle on the River: 1]

Jesus. That's a lotta dudes.