Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>Gosh that was fun. There were a lot of lesbians though. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf
Post the original version if you have it.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/905895-exalted-backer-charms?p=906607#post906607
pastebin.com/zn0LfVHf
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/906866-how-do-you-use-money-in-games
youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I really like the art for the backer charms book, is it actually buyable right now if I didn't spring for it during the KS?

It will be on DrivethruRPG, ETA undetermined.

Right now it's been sent out to those who bought Charms, to fix things like wording, layout, and in Puritan-Demon Cofraternity's case, not existing.

It's also going out, more slowly, to people who bought it as an add-on during the KS.

After the final version has been solidified, it will go up on DriveThruRPG for anyone to buy.

>forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/905895-exalted-backer-charms?p=906607#post906607
So, uh... I guess sorcery-boosting Charms aren't as taboo as this general thought.

Besides, the devs REALLY should learn to put general rules in easy to find, logical places. Because that bit about stored successes counting as non-charm dice is another general rule hidden in Charm text.

I hope it gets put in an official errata document or something.

It's not even in charm text. It's in dev *commentary* on a charm, for a charm that not only isn't in core, but is in a supplement that has to be paid for (well, ostensibly).

I hope it doesn't, on account of it being completely fucking busted.

wait what they forgot one?

Yes, and despite some user's claims, only this one. Poor guy paid for that.

So, can I learn Heaven-Turning Calculations by just using the two charms that came before Truth-Rendering Gaze for the Any Two Charms requirement?

Also, does Heaven-Turning Calculations apply to Sorcerous Workings?

The prerequisites never count. Otherwise why the fuck would it specify?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Guess I'll have to get two more charms before I can get that then. Shame.

And yes, yes it does apply, if you can justify or stunt using Math in your sorcerous workings.

Its honestly one of the best charms in the game.

As an ST I don't generally allow Heaven Turning to apply to working rolls. It says spell effects, workings to me aren't spells and thus don't qualify. Though I'm sure others do qualify it as such.

I had a Serenity who mastered Compassion, Conviction, Earth Dragon and Prismatic Arrangement of Creation.

Will ex3 let me make the Rock of Love and Peace once more?

Well, PAoC and Earth Dragon obviously aren't around yet, but probably will be eventually.

Compassion and Conviction are gone, but you can take Defining Intimacies to the same effect and back them up with Integrity Charms.

That user is likely referring to the virtue styles, not the virtues themselves.

Oh, then no, I wouldn't expect those to make a return.

>Also, does Heaven-Turning Calculations apply to Sorcerous Workings?
No. It doesn't even apply to Shape Sorcery actions. It applies to rolls in your spell's effects. Which, don't get me wrong, is still really good, it's just not THAT good.

Its not the styles so much as becoming a nigh-invulnerable brick shithouse that everyone did not expect from a bluesid of all things.

I think we might see them come back later on. Lots of people didn't like the Virtues constraining their character, especially since 2e's perfect-or-die system restricted your Virtue builds something fierce, but nearly everyone who played the Virtue styles liked them.

Maybe each Virtue gets replaced by a sutra or something.

Unless you've played 1e, of course.

I did, but I was more of an Abyssals and Lunars kinda guy.

i forget which were those?

Evenin' /exg/, I'm one of those anons that complains every so often about how short the War tree is in comparison to most of the rest of the charmset, and the lack of high essence effects (Yeah, yeah, you pick your supernal for the E3 stuff, whatever). So, novice homebrewer that I am, I wrote up a bunch of War charms to expand the canon set:

pastebin.com/zn0LfVHf

This is still a draft more than anything since while I tried to have the mechanics fairly fleshed out, the fluff is still bare-bones on a lot of these (except for Shield of the Sun's Chosen, which is someone else's Ex2 homebrew charm that I adapted 'cause I thought it was fuckin' sweet). I'm at the point where I want some more eyes on these because while I may think they sound fun, I wrote 'em so I might be full of shit.

The main things I was going for were A) some high essence war charms to make supernal War feel a little better B) a thematically appropriate Join Battle swapper, C) some exploration of initiative as it represents the flow of battle and relates to War's ability to manipulate that flow (like Lore's ability to manipulate Willpower and Essence). I'm kind of awful at naming stuff, so quite a few of those charm names were swiped from various canon and homebrew War charms I found when playing the one Ex2.5 game I was ever in.

So please, feedback, questions, clarifications, suggestions, whatever. Lemme have it!

Taking a look now, just wondering if you saw the 2 War charms in the new backer charm supplement?

Yep, I took a look at 'em, but while the dice-adder is useful, and the other one can let you get up to some shenanigans, they didn't really get the 'I need to pick my jaw up off the floor' like some of the other marquis high essence effects in the core book, and certainly nothing like some of the stuff in the backer supplement.

I should also add that I'm honestly not entirely sure my charms hit the jaw-drop mark either. Shield of the Sun's Chosen kind of does, but as I said earlier, I can't really take credit for that one.

I don't know about balance, but I quite like these effects.
>Mob-Dispersing Rebuke
Maybe reword that as take the lowest of the 2 rolls.
>Voice of Celestial Command
Maybe "issue commands for up to an additional".
On the whole, pretty cool ideas.

Can someone help explain what this post is trying to say
forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/exalted/906866-how-do-you-use-money-in-games

He's saying that tracking actual cash on hand is dumb and gamist, and that he prefers Resources ratings because they serve more as a narrative tool then rather than a vital character resource to be expended. I don't agree with his logic at all, despite personally also preferring Resources to cash on hand.

>On the whole, pretty cool ideas.

Thanks!

>Maybe "issue commands for up to an additional".

Is it a clarity issue? The wording is pretty close to that already. Currently it's "issue commands to up to an additional". Does swapping 'to' for 'for' work better grammatically?

Yeah, it's just that "commands to up to" sounds slightly weirder than "commands for up to".

That makes me wonder, is tipping really a thing that makes sense in Creation? Or ancient Asia or Rome?

>That makes me wonder, is tipping really a thing that makes sense in Creation? Or ancient Asia or Rome?
Giving someone a gratuity because their employer only covers part of their wages? Sure, it's a cultural tradition that could make sense anywhere that employers are massive scumbags.

But didn't it start in 17th century England? Seems like Americentrism to project that cultural idea on to other places.
People are too busy not being poor themselves to toss about money from pity. Rich folk like dynasts would probably have some strong cultural taboo against any treatment like that toward their lessers, especially if you lump in the Immaculate Philosophy's strict caste system.

I might expect patronage to be a thing in the big cities, and bribing the help of whatever establishment the current scene is taking place in is a classic...

but not tips.

Yeah, historical patronage is really cool, plus small time hush hush bribes. But an mandatory expectation of customers adjusting employee's wages feels off. Maybe some strange culture in all of Creation does it though, it's a big place.

There's actually an extremely prominent tenet of noblesse oblige in the Immaculate Philosophy. Their faith demands that the common folk accept and follow the Dragon-blooded as their superiors, but at the same time the Dragon-blooded are obligated to be just, generous, and competent leaders, giving their all on behalf of their subjects.

Anyway, the main limiting factor is really the presence of widespread service industries staffed by the poor. When your typical shop is run by a single artisan and maybe an apprentice, of course a gratuity is nonsense. It's only when you have widespread restaurants with workers paid a starvation wage, or porters at hotels asked to do manual labor for even less than a laborer's pay, or what have you, that you start seeing tips.

You need industries where clients are interacting directly with the staff, and where the staff is being paid a disturbingly low wage as a matter of course, before the very notion of a gratuity would occur.

And that just isn't super common in pre-modern, pre-industrialized economies.

Yeah, I forgot about the expectation of benevolent DBs. The rest makes a lot of sense though.

Hey, /exg/, I'm new to Exalted and wondering about some things.

I picked up a used copy of the second edition book on the cheap, and I'm loving the setting details. Does everything fluff-wise generally carry over to the third edition?

Is White Wolf planning to ever do an actual print run of the 3e core book? If not, what's the deal? Is the demand really that low?

How is the experience with DriveThruRPG's copies? I don't want to plunk $70 on something that will fall apart.

Sorry if these are common questions. I lurked a bit and didn't see anybody asking them.

>Does everything fluff-wise generally carry over to the third edition?
Not all of the little details, but it's still the same setting, yeah.

>Is White Wolf planning to ever do an actual print run of the 3e core book?
White Wolf doesn't exist as a company anymore. Exalted 3e is printed by Obsidian Path, and they follow an exclusively print-on-demand model, because the overhead for printing and storing books in advance is just too high.

>Is the demand really that low?
If you order a book, they will print and ship it to you.

>How is the experience with DriveThruRPG's copies?
See above. You're coming at this with expectations for how the printing industry works that just aren't correct anymore.

There are PDFs of all of the second edition books available.

3e does not take much of the Second Edition fluff for granted.

And quite frankly, much of the actual high quality fluff is to be found in the First Edition books.

Like said, but I'll also add some people are reporting the spine is a bit too weak for such a massive book, I don't recall if this is the standard or more expensive version.

Thanks for the swift responses.

Ah, I didn't know White Wolf went defunct. I've never dealt with a print-on-demand model before, so I'm wary. But if people aren't reporting major quality issues, I guess it's fine. I'm just, as a consumer, used to dealing with large stock to drive down online prices and having the option of used copies.

I know there are .pdfs of everything, but I'm the kind of autist who likes to read game books on the couch. Thanks for the first edition tip. Any particular recommendations for fluff books?

From what I'm hearing, the more expensive version has significantly thicker paper but the same binding.

>Any particular recommendations for fluff books?
Basically anything other than the splat books, to start with. Games of Divinity, Manacle and Coin, whatever. As long as it's about the setting, rather than the exalts, it's usually a great read.

You're definitely going with 3rd edition for mechanics right?

>Any particular recommendations for fluff books?
In addition to the two already mentioned, the two books I always hear mentioned for fluff are Scaventer Sons and Blood and Salt.

Greatly appreciated. Thank you, Anons.

Yes. From what I'm reading of the 2e combat mechanics, it's a nightmare.

You'll find some resources like fluff books in the OP links, enjoy getting into it, and feel free to pop by here any time you have questions.

>There's actually an extremely prominent tenet of noblesse oblige in the Immaculate Philosophy

Eh, it's not really noblesse oblige. It's true that Dragon-Blooded are expected to be competent, just leaders, but the Philosophy also posits that Dragon-Blooded should lord their station over mortals and not treat them especially well.

You could say it's the REALITY of noblesse oblige more than the ideal, which seems fitting for Exalted.

what are some suggestions for social stuff and intimacies that you guys have for a GM new to the system?

The way I've been doing it in my head, there are usually Intimacies to do with self-preservation and comfort that tend to be defining and major on nearly everybody, then I'll come up with between 2-4 more intimacies for a character. Does that make sense to you guys?

I only do this for characters that matter.

Someone here suggested having at least 1 of each of these types.
Intimacies: Specific, General-Achievable, and General-Continuous.
Though this might be better for PCs than NPCs.

I sorta feel like self preservation stuff should be assumed by default and not necessary as a specific Intimacy.

> The result of this reroll cannot be higher than that of the original.

Low essence carms should have this. You foce them to re-roll, if it's higher then that's the chance you take

>But didn't it start in 17th century England?
Maybe that is true, but it doesn't necessarily imply a practice like that would be out of place in the Creation. Some things are tied to a certain, specific cultural historical and ideological context, but there is no particular reason why tipping couldn't be a common custom in a pre-17th century setting.

>. Rich folk like dynasts would probably have some strong cultural taboo against any treatment like that toward their lessers
There can be and probably is such a taboo in some societies, but it would be weird if some kind of a Creation-wide taboo existed.

Still, not treating mortals especially badly either is a part of being competent, just leaders, and if tips were a part of how things normally work in the Realm - which they probably aren't - they wouldn't in any way go against the tenets of the Faith. They'd just be a part of normal payment, and a part of commoners earning their daily bread.

What critter's skull is he wearing?

I kind of assume most people to have some kind of default, 'common sense' intimacies. Stuff like "I want to live", "The world is more or less like it appears to my senses", generally the kinds of assumptions, beliefs and desires almost all people have, even if they don't really consciously think about them.

So do the mechanics. A "defining" intimacy is defined as it being something that someone is willing to die for, and a "major" intimacy is defined as something that people are willing to commit major effort too, but are not willing to die for.

Therefore, mechanically, the self-preservation instinct exists, and lies between a defining and major intimacy in terms of strength.

Order to kill oneself are Unacceptable Orders, right>

Yes.

>Anonymous 06/05/16(Sun)17:57:40 No.47621331 ▶
>
> (You)
>Order to kill oneself are Unacceptable Orders, right>

Yes, but only directly. Orders that are likely to result in death might still be obeyed if they run off a defining intimacy.

That and for exalts 'Things that will kill you' get fuzzier. An exalt with a way to null falling damage wouldn't treat 'Go jump the airship' as an order to kill yourself but a mortal would.

>Low essence carms should have this. You foce them to re-roll, if it's higher then that's the chance you take

I'm going to assume you meant it should NOT have that clause.

I took that clause from some of the charms in the corebook that force rerolls of someone else's successful dice. (Ruin Abasing Shrug, and Unhesitating Dedication being the major examples). Both of those are Essence 3 charms, granted, but it's a relatively narrow effect at Essence 2 so I don't think it's out of line. Now that I think of it though, I might want to drop that to half Essence, rounded up since for some reason I'm only now remembering that it's a raw Willpower roll for rout, and most battlegroups from core book antagonists will be lucky to even HAVE five dice.

They specifically changed it between the leak and the backer version from "sorcery" to "spell effects", meaning its not supposed to function with workings.

I would argue that "tipping" is to a large extent the default mode of the age of Creation, to such an extent that there's no name for it and almost no thought about it. "Tipping" only exists as a concept after "not tipping" becomes a thing, which happens due to the existence of fixed, written-down, known-in-advance, public prices that almost everyone is expected to pay exactly.

Before £3-a-pound catalogs and order menus, you _haggle_, and the equivalent of the tip is baked into the haggling.

>Therefore, mechanically, the self-preservation instinct exists, and lies between a defining and major intimacy in terms of strength.

Are you willing to die for your self-preservation instincts, son?

Haggling is definitely the norm, but I wouldn't say that counts as tipping at all.

It's actually the opposite of that, [Thing you're willing to die for] is just stronger than your [Self preservation] which trumps [Thing you're not willing to die for], Defining>Death>Major.

>Haggling is definitely the norm, but I wouldn't say that counts as tipping at all.

Not exactly "tipping" but when hoighty-toighty silk-and-silver comes buying, you're going to start at a higher price than you would for Joe Blogs, and he's less likely to be haggle, lest he be taken to care about money (implying that he has so little of it that he needs to be careful with it). I think this would be understood and accepted by both parties as part of their station in life.

Which is completely separate from the idea of tipping, the customer pays more based on their wealth, not the brief variation in quality of service to offset low wages. There shouldn't be any places with the crazy idea of lower wages because of an assumption customers will pay the rest. Especially due to the lack of an industrial scale service industry like user said.

Elsewhere in the world, we still have the notion of "tipping", while the employer still pays the actual value of the labour.

The US is an outlier for its system. Pretty much nobody else does it that way.

youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

That scene is retarded. They get minimum wage regardless of tips. If you cant live on minimum wage, reduce your expenses

In most parts of America, you literally can't live on minimum wage without going into massive debt. The minimum cost of living simply exceeds what full-time on minimum wage earns in most areas.

I get the idea that you might not be American, and might therefore have a different idea of how minimum wage actually plays out here in the states.

tipping is getting out of control because everybody plays along. now EVERYTHING has a tip jar.

even worse when its built right into the payment system. swipe your creditcard getting fastfood? machine asks 10,15,or 30% tip. they can see if you select zero and this is done before you get your food. they get a full minimum wage and do jack shit, why tip them?

>full minimum wage
>do jack shit
Mate, clearly you've never worked a fast food job, nor tried to support yourself independently on minimum wage. Tipping exists because minimum wage is a fraction of an actual living wage in most areas, and many minimum wage jobs are grueling, hard experiences.

Minimum wage is the minimum amount that companies are literally allowed to break people before they're criminally exploiting them, not the minimum amount required to make a living.

inb4 "why isn't the minimum wage the minimum amount required to make a living tho"

Note: It may be of relevance that tip-heavy jobs in the United States (waiter etc.) frequently have legal exceptions to what is otherwise minimum wage.

>why isn't the minimum wage the minimum amount required to make a living tho
because (((some people))) have lobbied very hard to have government take over most of the cost of employing low skilled workers so that the money for paying them can come out of taxing the middle class instead of those (((people))) who actually run the businesses.

>"why isn't the minimum wage the minimum amount required to make a living tho"
Because it just isn't, and it shouldn't even be thought of that way anymore, because that's not the cultural niche it holds, regardless of its original intent. Minimum wage has come to be seen culturally as the sort of thing that only young people still living as dependents earn, jobs that you're not supposed to try to use to support your actual life in the first place.

Regardless of what minimum wage could be or should be, that's the way it's perceived in the US.

Also, this. Servers at restaurants are specifically allowed to typically be paid significantly less than the already-literally-borderline-criminal minimum wage, because tipping is expected to the point that it's already factored into their legal minimum wage.

I wasn't actually asking but ok.

Im not American, but as I understand it, if tips fail to make up the difference to the minimum wage then the employer still has to pay the gap.

>if tips fail to make up the difference to the minimum wage then the employer still has to pay the gap
That's why some employers have instituted mandatory tip sharing, or recording tips across shifts as an average. That's more of a scumbag boss thing, admittedly, but the idea that they actually do pay the difference is laughable in practice.

And more to the point, fucking retarded, that it's even come to that.

technically but usually they dont. it's calculated by the paycheck so if you dont make good tips all week then yes they pay the difference but usually you will have some good days in there that float the difference.

So either way they get min wage, so why is it my responsibility and not their employer's?

Mate, nobody's saying you're literally required to tip. But you're a cunt if you don't, the same way you're a cunt if you don't hold a door/elevator for someone, or if you cut in line. Sure, you can do all of those things. There's no law that you're breaking.

But you're a massive, stinking cunt.

because if the employer straight paid them the higher wage there would be more tax money shelled out by them so your overall cost would be higher and their profit would be lower and the employees would make less money.

>But you're a cunt if you don't

Why?

Am I a cunt for not tipping everyone i interact with? Should I tip the guy cleaning the train station, he's probably on minimum wage too

>Am I a cunt for not tipping everyone i interact with?
No, because most other jobs have it where it's either a contract violation to accept a tip, or where any tips go directly to the company rather than the worker.

The jobs where you're a cunt if you don't tip are the only jobs where those poor sons of bitches are usually actually allowed to keep the gratuity.

Anyone want to do a Let's Read of the miracles charms?

>Am I a cunt for not tipping everyone i interact with?
basically. stop being a jew.

Social norms aren't entirely rational, but adhering to them, within reasonable limits, is still an important part of good, polite behavior. Refusal to follow these norms makes you a contrarian, at the very least, but a conscious decision to not act according to norms is still in many ways better than actual inability to even understand these norms.

So waiters have more rights than cleaners because they get to keep tips, this then obligates me to tip them?

That's fucking retarded

Well, it turns out you're a cunt.

Well, it turns out I disagree with you. What now fag

Isator Levi on OP forums did some brief thoughts:

since it was done in a scene of game of thrones, I've been attached to the image of firing an arrow straight up to let it come back down again, so i like a charm that does so with a bit of a divine twist on it

the idea of a Solar having a means to multiply via moving very fast is cute

so heart-eating fist is basically a power boost for killing somebody, mediated via gambit mechanics, and balanced by requiring as many successes as it would take to kill them anyway. fair enough

i like the potential of honor-instilling mantra for stories of leading or reforming an organisation

i like the effect of creation of adamant specie, as well as its suggestion of solar charms that are uncanny short of outright unnatural. i find it to be something pointing at the use of money and bureaucracy in ways I've recently discussed

i'm not usually down on the idea of MacGyver Charms, but I think Ever-Ready Innovation Discipline fulfills the promise in a reasonable and interesting way. also, I see what they did with that reference to cheese recipes.

Strength from Conviction Stance is another example of what I've been talking about, of powering Integrity through characterisation and plot points, creating the experience of resisting or overcoming something rather than just making it a flat effect

i'm not sure how soul-drawing pattern fits into linguistics. I don't dislike the Charm itself, just can't quite see the connection.

i like the idea of a solar having a kind of "writing on the wall" effect. It seems like it could create some very ominous scenarios.
(1/2)

I can live with that, guess I just have to avoid America forever

>guess I just have to avoid America forever
That's not a poor choice.