Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

>Playing?
>Brewing?
>Next MTG Purchase?

The updated Modern Metagame is below.

Other urls found in this thread:

modernnexus.com/topdecks/
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-04-16-CET-spirit-tribal/
magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/fabrizio-anteri-disqualified-grand-prix-manchester-2016-05-28
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The overall Modern Metagame.

Information on Tiers and how they're calculated:
modernnexus.com/topdecks/

Direct link to the spreadsheet:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VwzQKE-QTxRqzZjZ2n0o1Cp80enNcYQACf3d7xlsVDc/pubhtml

this format is bad and you should FEEL bad

i havent seen junk in like a fucking year. what happened to that deck?

its called Abzan now

it doesnt matter if it has two names i haven't seen the deck at all locally and it used to be fairly popular. never read about it here either.

>Playing?
infect, grixis teachings
>Brewing?
pauper thresh
>Next MTG Purchase?
sideboard cards for whatever pauper deck o decide to play at the starcity event coming up. playset of tarmogoyfs, they're the only non-dual land I'm missing for legacy rug delver. just got my living situation sorted out, so now I'm free to pick them up this month.

>Playing?
Jeskai Nahiri, Grixis Midrange, Kiki-Chord
>Brewing?
Jeskai Nahiri Kiki Combo
>Next MTG purchase?
EM Force of Wills

Jesus fucking Christ, Emrakul is horrifying! What the fuck they were thinking?

Anyone have the new meme deck with Sundial of the Infinite in it?

That just because Jund is better, and seeing as the decks have so much overlap when it comes to what cards they run, my bet is that all the memezan players jumped ship and joined the jund master race.

is phage the untouchable finally playable?

I am looking for 2 or more decks which are balanced against each other to play against my girlfriend. How do I find something like this?

buy a duel deck u dingus

yeah, ya dingus

is this modern playable now?

>Playing?
Played RG Tron a few weeks ago. Barely won most of my games, so I probably won't play that again for the rest of the year.

Lat Friday, I played Jeskai Nahiri. Went 4-0. Good times. Will play again sometime.

Next up: Eldrazi, Infect or Jund.

>Brewing?
Nothing. There's plenty to choose from.

>Next MTG Purchase?
EMA foils.

oh shit super secret tech for the red land destruction deck

Gravecrawler, Diregraf Colosus, Death Baron and some form of selfmill.

Prized Amalgam and Diregraf Captain could work very well if you are willing to go U/B.

Geralf's Masterpiece and Skab Ruinator could work wonders here, they are a couple of hidden gems people havent figured how to use yet.

That and Glimpse the Unthinkable and you should be golden.

You could even add green and put some dredge up in there, Life from the Loam, Golgari Grave Troll all work great here. Then, with so much self mill, you could even play the Gitrog Monster as a control finisher.

Also
>Golgari Thug
>Ghoultree
>Jarad, Lich Lord
>Lord of the Undead
>Louthleth Troll
>Unbreathing Horde
>Vengeful Pharaoh
>Forgotten Creation

Sultai Zombies really has a lot of nice toys to play around with.

I have the card on the left, what should I do with it?

Nothing.

Thanks user I'll be sure to do that right now! thanks again for such an insightful comment, so rare these days, wow just wow #Blessed

Hello, I'm new to Magic, I've been only playing Magic: duels. But there's still something about rules i don't comprehend. When blocking with multiple creatures, which creature is first to take damage?
An example: enemy is attacking me with 5/5 creature. I'm blocking it with 4/4 and 1/2 creatures. Which of my creature is dying and why?

your enemy decides where the damage is assigned when you block it with multiple creatures, so he can assign two to the 1/2 and the rest to the 4/4, or four to the 4/4 and one to the 1/2; basically, just block with shit you're willing to lose or you know cant die

I see, thanks.

You're welcome, my man. Glad I could tell you what you shoul do with your card.

Would True-Name Nemesis be enough to make Merfolk (actually) Tier 1?

Merfolk would need affinity to stop existing to be tier 1

While still bad, Affinity becomes a much easier match post-board. I win about half the sets I play against Affinity, thanks in part to SB Hurkyl's Recall, Chalice of the Void, and Pithing Needle.

All the goodstuff.dec dropped off during Eldrazi winter. When Splinter Twin got banned and Ancestral Vision and Thopter Foundry got unbanned everyone went to brewing with those cards and nobody was sure what to play so people played Jund.

That being said the BGx decks should start to come back to fight against Jund and Grixis decks again.

Merfolk is pretty strong already without TNN in Modern.

I also think TNN was one of the worst designed cards ever. Powerful yes but clearly a really bad design.

i hear this a lot but no one ever really explains further. what makes it a poor design? the intent is very clear, make it a threat that's very hard to interact with, but it still has reasonable answers

Well of course, that's why it's been the top of Tier 2 for awhile and even had a stint in Tier 1 last year.

Well for one it's got an extremely powerful ability(protection from a player) which in a multiplayer Commander game isn't too threatening but in an Eternal format like Legacy it's a stupidly strong card. Second it's also in a ridiculously strong tribe that's notorious for giving creatures Islandwalk and boosting P/T and it's also extremely aggressively costed for its abilities, P/T and protection. TNN may as well have protection from almost everything in a 2 player game and a card that actually has protection from everything is Progenitus and is not so easily cast(normally that is but can be Natural Ordered.) Finally it's also in colours that has easy access to many counterspells so if you don't counter it there and then it's going to start beating your face.

There are answers to it but lot of the time you either have to outrace the thing or have a universally strong wrath type board wipe(WoG, Damnation, etc.) which is expensive and may even still get countered outright not to mention also costs cmc 4 so you might take some big hits before you can even wipe the board or another toughness based reducing board wipe(Golgari Charm, Toxic Deluge) and even in the last case it's a big problem if they've already increased the toughness by some other Merfolk lords because you've probably taken a crapload of damage from it beating you for a while.

>3/1 unblockable for 3
>hexproof
>indestructable
>also a merfolk

Answers: Languish, Golgari Charm?

>destroy opponent's hand
>can't do anything against topdecks
I swear I'm going to start playing Thoughtpicker Witch

>Languish
Yes.
>Golgari Charm
Merfolk are almost never at base P/T.

As implied, TNN would probably be coming in as at least a 4/2 or 5/3 most of the time.

at least it wouldn't have a jitte on it (in this format)

>Playing?
Affinity
>Brewing?
Zooicide
>Next MTG Purchase?
SB cards for zooicide. MD is in the mail. Super excited to give the deck a try since noone at my LGS plays anything like it. Also has the added positive that there is very rarely any burn (Zooicides worst matchup).

When is Nacatl worth running in naya burn?

>Indestructible
Reread the rules on protection. Can't be dealt damage, but destroy effects still destroy it, so long as they don't target.

I just realized Ghost Quarter reads "destroy target land" and not "target nonbasic land"

Always.

How do I get really good at jeskai harbringeR?

Never. While it looks good on paper, it lacks haste or an ability to further your burn plan, so it'll just end up slowing your deck down. It's better to just leave the slots open for more burn.

I'm running Soul Sisters and I'm running a 1 of Iona to get underneath Windbrisk Heights. Should I switch it for Elesh Norn? They both hose certain decks, but Elesh seems to hose more.

Then again it's probably dumb to have even one of either in my deck, but I want to give it a shot.

Elesh is often the better choice, combined with less feel-bads because your dumb ass picked the wrong color.

Yeah, I sometimes just blow up all my opponent's lands when going off with eggs just for shits and giggles (if I know they can't do shit with the untapped mana, otherwise that's awful risky)

Why did you think people refer it as strip mine with leonin arbiter?

I thought it was just because of the abundance of nonbasics in Modern

What does your deck's god hand look like?

>Kami of False Hope / Topplegeist
>Aether Vial
>Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
>Phantasmal Image
>Drogskol Captain
>Hallowed Fountain
>1-2 basic lands

Spirits tribal is extremely fun. It really has a lot of control tools specialized for every T1 deck, so the sideboard plays an extremely important role in the deck.

At the same time it remains an aggro tribal deck, but its a very unique one, better than merfolk and elves I'd say.

>god hand
the post said "good hand", not god hand. if I had wanted to put a spellweaver magical christmas land hand, it would have included two simians, and a faithless looting. there is a turn 2 hand in that deck but its so incredibly unlikely.

>The post said good hand.
Well, this one says god hand does it not?, post yours.

>spellweaver
>flame jab
>worldfire
>simian spirit guide
>simian spirit guide
>land
>faithless looting

you need to t1 looting discarding your worldfire and flame jab and you need to get a second flame jab, and that sets you up for a win when you untap for t2.

seperate all your lands from your everything, side board, then mash shuffle three times being careful to make sure you dont overshuffle and present your deck to your opponent to cut once.

>overshuffle
lol

>present your deck to your opponent to cut once
your opponent can cut as many times as they like up to and including shuffling as many times as they like. your deck is not "safe" from "overshuffling" (by the way it isnt a thing)

Check the list yourself, unlike Merfolk it doesn't rely on islandwalk and its far more resilient than elves against removal and boardwipes. Its also able to beat them both 1 on 1.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/17-04-16-CET-spirit-tribal/

>unlike merfolk it doesn't rely on islandwalk

merfolk doesn't RELY on islandwalk, it takes advantage of it by running spreading seas. they remove a color source and swing unblockably. kind of a shame that pyroclasm is a silver bullet for you.

he was making fun of anteri, you troglodyte

>Pyroclasm is a silver bullet for you
It is. On the other hand Spirits survive it comfortably and can immediately bounce back from similar boardwipes thanks to Lingering Souls and Promise of Bunrei.

who the fuck is anteri and why does not knowing him make me a troglodyte

>Indestructible.
Ummm what? No its not.

Also your list is missing all of the wrath spells, all of the mass blue bounce spells, all of the Lilliana sac effects, and a BUNCH more that i cant remember off the top of my head. Its good yes i will give you that. Its not unkillable.

magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/gpman16/fabrizio-anteri-disqualified-grand-prix-manchester-2016-05-28

i haven't read the article but I do want you to know that i appreciate you having linked me to it

k i read it now

LOL

>implying I play one deck

>a bunch more
No I think sac and boardwipes is all there is. Blue boardwipes are just shitty white boardwipes anyways.
Really though, a card with 3/1 unblockable hexproof would be OP in modern, disregarding the tribal and anti-damage clause.

Anyone play abzan company? I recently built the deck and was wondering about some tips and tricks and some spicy tech. Also what's your opinions about voice of resurgence in the deck. I'm surprised to see lists having them in the SB, some don't even run them, and not in the MB.

there are lots of matchups where voice is just a grizzly bear.

I remember the card being absurd in pod, but that's rpobably because of the sacrifice clause.

While I'm on the subject of pod. How similar is company to pod?

Reminder that these are fun and the Hoofs on the Loose

Reminder that these are not fun, and the Hoof is contained

lmao no it's never a grizzly bear. normally a "counting" creature (crusader of odric, veteran warleader, wayfaring temple, scion of the wild, you name it) costs at least 3 mana unless it has some clause. voice of resurgence is a grizzly bear plus at least one of these triggers on death unless it's exiled. so it's basically 5 mana worth of shit for a colorful bear and that's completely ignoring the fact that you get extra triggers from their shit which buff each other up.

that card is nuts, it just happens to do shit all when you path or anger of the gods it.

against infect, affinity, tron, scapeshift, and ad nauseam, it's just a grizzly bear.

>Jund has the closest deck to have a 50-50 matchup against everything
>still has unwinnable matchups

The deck is fun and strong, but sometimes it's hell. Tron and Jeskai are really fucking hard (the former being completely impossible) and there are other tough matchups out there, like Scapeshift and Eldrazi. Jund may be the most played deck in the metagame, but it's definitely not an easy button and it's most certainly not 50-50 against everything.

Suicide is basically "kill yourself as fast as possible and hope the opponent doesn't have removal"
How does it ever win

opponent doesn't have removal / only has bolt

oh you mean decks that aren't interactive and just leave it as a 10 turn clock

gotcha

yeah obviously that's what I meant. why are you acting sarcastic? I didn't say it's always just a bear, I said sometimes it is. and against those decks, you don't get 10 turns to beat with a 2/2. grow up.

>why are you acting sarcastic

i'm not, i mean that post in the most literal way possible. i wasn't considering decks that don't interact with it at all where a swinging 2/2 isn't nearly relevant enough (aka a 10 turn clock)

oh sorry I got overly defensive then

totally cool user

Got any info on your Grixis Teachings?

Get out.

Don't mind me boys, just over here beating Jund with my god tier mono black control deck

Instant (29)
4x Anticipate
1x Blue Sun's Zenith
2x Cryptic Command
1x Darkblast
1x Gifts Ungiven
1x Hidetsugu's Second Rite
1x Kolaghan's Command
4x Lightning Bolt
2x Mana Leak
3x Mystical Teachings
1x Negate
1x Noxious Revival
2x Spell Snare
1x Surgical Extraction
3x Terminate
1x Think Twice
Land (26)
1x Academy Ruins
1x Blighted Fen
1x Blood Crypt
4x Bloodstained Mire
1x Breeding Pool
2x Ghost Quarter
3x Island
4x Polluted Delta
2x Steam Vents
2x Sulfur Falls
1x Swamp
1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1x Wandering Fumarole
2x Watery Grave
Artifact (1)
1x Engineered Explosives
Creature (5)
4x Snapcaster Mage
1x Vendilion Clique
Sideboard (15)
1x Ancient Grudge
1x Anger of the Gods
1x Countersquall
1x Izzet Staticaster
1x Liliana of the Veil
1x Molten Rain
1x Negate
2x Pyroclasm
2x Spellskite
2x Thoughtseize
1x Volcanic Fallout
1x Wurmcoil Engine

I originally made it in 15 minutes while waiting for one of my lectures to start. Tuesday night at my lgs is free so we play intentionally bad decks for shits and giggles. I've killed people with second rite 17 times in sanctioned magic and got 4th in a 30 person gpt with it. turns out a pile of good grixis cards will win sometimes. I'm always looking for suggestions for cool cards to add. the maindeck is 61 cards just as a joke. I'm happy to answer any questions. the only thing teachings doesn't get in the maindeck is explosives.

Man, I can only hope I come up against you and your deck at the next event I go to. I love free wins.

>I've killed people with second rite 17 times
>13 marks on the card
explain the discrepancy

I took that picture a while ago and didn't feel like digging through my backpack for the card and taking a new one just to post.

What do you play again

Bump

R8 my brew, so far my worst matchup is boggles. Its the only deck i can do literally nothing about.

I have no clue what the fuck I'm supposed to be looking at there. Looks like Esper, which you should really give up on
If you insist on playing it and want to beat Bogles, then bring in more hand hate and take out Ashiok for LotV. Consider Wraths too.

why razorverge?

Wreaths are actually pretty useless against all that totem armor sadly, and the deck tries to control the board enough to either mill an opponent out with ashiok or beat them to death with their own creatures, or snapcaster if I need to. Fiendslayer Paladin makes any red matchup that doesn't run pyroclasm pretty easy, and most mid range/control decks don't run answers to ashiok. Even the answers that bgx has, the only really worrying one is abrupt decay.

>Boggles

Celestial Flare?