What makes a swashbuckler fun in your opinion? Do you prefer them medieval or early modern?

What makes a swashbuckler fun in your opinion? Do you prefer them medieval or early modern?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE
youtube.com/watch?v=cWaOdv28noo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Swashbucklers are the paragon of toxic masculinity and will be summarily banned when Hillary gets into office, as they should be.

You think stories about daring swordsmen rescuing maidens from bandits, pirates, and lecherous counts/sultans is a bad thing?

Early modern is a lot more interesting than medieval in general.

Yea, I never got all the wanking over the Middle Ages

Early modern age has a distinct flavor all its own

Nice balance between romanticism and enlightenment themes

It was the last stage of history where science and magic were one

Being able to do a lot of stuff (being suave, tough, dextrous, and strong) and generally being a "cool" character.
And they usually have access to guns which is cool too.

There is only one god, and his name is Bait. And what do we say to him, child? (You).

Gee i wonder.
Why would a cocky roguish swordsman with neat acrobatic be fun to play?

>Never played Zoro(no not the anime twat), Robin Hood (yes he was also a decent swordsman), MyNameIsIndigoMontoyaYouKilledMyFatherNowPreppareToDie.png

There is no bait but bait and user is his prophet

They're charming, witty, charismatic, good with a sword and they wet panties.

Basically the opposite of what I'm like ;_;

I'd say that musclebound barbarians are the paragon of toxic masculinity. Swashbucklers have a rogueish charm to them.

Think James Bond (Connery) with a sword

Bump

Because they're the fucking best: Banter, Battle, and Banging.

youtube.com/watch?v=nB8tiSMCwRE

The roguish noble mindset is a system of values that is pretty foreign to me, so it offers greats roleplaying opportunities.
Let's take d'Artagnan, the hero from the Three Musketeers, that technically rapes a woman (she was evil, but still) and beats his lackey when he wants to get paid, but is still considered a honorable gentleman by his peers and has a lot of other virtues, being ready to die for his queen, or to ruin himself to buy his friends a drink.
A fascination combation of being and appearing.

Also, the fact that the swashbuckler is a self-made man, beginning modestly and catching every opportunity to further its growth. Pic related going "fuck you, I'm gonna be awesome, be a major renaissance man and get into fights constantly" always warms my heart.

Early modern. It can still have a medieval feeling in some remote places, but the tech and social/political elements are much more interesting IMO.

Jokes on you, I live in Europe.
Also female swashbucklers like Christian Davies, La Maupin, or Mary Reed.

The rules usually give them many advantages due to top-down design.
Swashbucklers wear frilly shirts and tights instead of armor, so they get features that let them fight without any sort of protection and do just as well as the guys wrapped in leather and chain. Swashbucklers are agile so they get features that let them do shit anyone else would simply fail at and break their neck in the attempt. Swashbucklers are charming so they get features that let them get away with things anyone else would get thrown in jail for doing.

>banter

Swashbucklers are the literal opposite of toxic masculinity, they're flamboyant, lithe athletic tricksters who beat up the musclebound brutes typical of male power fantasies.

When Hillary is elected only swashbucklers will be allowed.

>not respecting the Bant

Please depart, knave

Rape was weirdly acceptable for old timey heroes

youtube.com/watch?v=cWaOdv28noo
do this, just don't fuck up at the end.

>instead of armor

Like hell they don't

M8 flamboyant clothing and long hair was macho back then

You'd cry like a girl if confronted with swaggering swashbucklers looking for a fight in the evening

There have always been musclebound, graceless brutes who couldn't dance with a gun aimed at their heads. Only in more enlightened time they weren't treated as paragons of masculinity.

This is what I assume for all swashbuckler lovers.

Bruh, you think soldiers & fighters back then weren't well muscled?

*fiction lovers

Shhhh, he's a video game playing dexfag. Leave him to his delusions.

A daring hero with a wit as sharp as his blade! Moving through the battlefield like the wind, his feet light and dancing! Swinging on chandeliers to crash out a window and escape the evil henchmen! What's not to love about Swashbucklers?

Queer

>I don't know the difference between musculature and a body builder
>I've never seen portraits of the kind of men this is based on
>implying a swashbuckler lacks grace

Your beer belly isn't muscle, jsyk

Who said bodybuilder?