Is there a game like 3.5 meets old school?

is there a game like 3.5 meets old school?

Castles and Crusades, perhaps?

5e tried to do that, too.

5e

5e Didn't feel that Old school to me, it could be that when we play an OSR player usually dont have story even a name, and with the 5e campaign everyone had their backstory , also i prefer the skills and feats in 3.5

Depends on what you mean with 3.5.
Castles & Crusades goes for the sort of late D&D fusion with older stuff. Basic Fantasy RPG also did something similar.
Adevnturer Conqueror King is more or less a Basic/1E thing but they do use simplified feats and other things 3.5E players might find familiar.
The well-beloved DCC RPG also has some 3.5E bits in it like it's saves and slightly higher power level.

Dungeon Crawl Classics

the only problem i see with dcc is the weird dice

What is your favorite game of the ones you mentioned?

I think that mostly all OSR dont use skill

I think there's a company that makes adventure modules for a variety of more modern versions with the 'old school feel' (which as far as I understand means instant-death traps everywhere).

It depends on what you mean, really. Castles & Crusades is essentially a streamlined AD&D that uses the unified d20 mechanic of new school D&D along with attribute-based saving throws. It doesn't have the customization of 3.5 though (no feats, skill points, etc.), and seeks to maintain a solidly old school aesthetic. I like it, though it's rather important to include a caster fix (add only half a caster's level to their spell DC, rather than their full level) or high level casters become too powerful (though not 3.5 levels of bad).

i like everything about 3.5 except that pc become too powerfull

Play 3.5e with the E6 rules modifications (google)?

E6?

Personally, I'm happy to do away with shit like this:
>In 3.5 you get skill points that vary according to class and intelligence modifier. You buy up skills with different costs and maximum levels according to your class. This is something you do every time you level. A number of your skills are adversely affected by your armor and shield (so if you put your shield down, you have to recalculate). Some skills are affected double. Also, if you cast spells, then armor and shield can give you a chance of arcane spell failure. Of course, if you have masterwork or magic armor, the penalty is reduced. Now, certain skills have synergies with other skills, meaning that if you buy a skill up to a certain level, you get a bonus towards another skill. Keep in mind that many of the skill descriptions have specific target numbers or formulas determining what happens when you use them. And there's taking 10 and taking 20. And there are lots of things that modify your attributes (spells that boost them, poisons that lower them, etc.), so you might have to recalculate everything during your game.

But if you're cool with 3.5 but just want to keep shit from getting too crazy powerful, Epic 6 seems like an answer.

Doesn't 3.5 count as old school by now?

Not in D&D. Old school D&D is all built on the same core system and is essentially interchangeable. 3e is not. Besides, if you divided the timeline of D&D into equal halves, 1995 would be the dividing line. It'll be another decade before that line hits the year 3e was released, and 3e would still fall on the "new" side at that point.

3e marks a point where DnD's designers started properly thinking about game design, for the first time since Basic (which were also great games).

Unfortunately in doing so, it was basically Homer's concept car from that Simpsons episode.

By contrast -
cars these days can be built so that the doors are light but secure. And they can be so quiet that they make barely any noise once you're inside them. In fact, car manufacturers are artificially adding weights to their car doors to make them sound 'solid', and playing artificial engine noises through the speakers - even though this makes the car run worse overall.
4e was a car that had light door and no artificial engine noises, and this somehow shocked people, despite it running just the same as the 3e car.

I'd agree with you that 3e was the first time they conceptualized the game from the ground up (rather than it growing organically or making comparatively minor tweaks to what had existed before). Unfortunately, they misunderstood or misapplied a lot of what they thought they knew about D&D and ended up with pic related (only a lot more Rube Goldberg-y).

>4e was a car that had light door and no artificial engine noises
4e really isn't doing the same thing as old school D&D though. I mean, it's okay if you prefer it, but it plays distinctly differently than if you merely streamlined, modernized and standardized old school D&D.

But that's all beside the point of what qualifies as old school and what doesn't.

Lamentation of the flame princess?

Dungeon Crawl Classics is what you're looking for.

I'm reading a lot of ridiculous propositions above so here's WHY.

D&D 3.5 characterizes itself by having a three-fold save system, a lot of fiddly bits to play with (in the form of builds and feats) a good bit of character personalization.

DCC is by far not my favorite OSR system, but I think it does the job right : it has a lot of in-built mechanical toys to play with, it really caters to the teen inside me that used to munchkin the fuck out of AD&D 2.

LotFP is B/X + Ascending AC, Better AC and Specialized Classes, no relationship to 3.5.

Castle & Crusades comes from AD&D + unified d20 mechanics, so it's basically a pretend-old school pretend-new school.

ACKS is different, but I heard a lot of 3+E players like it so it might be your style.

I should mention that my knowledge of 3E and later come from browsing Veeky Forums and reading the books. I started with AD&D and shortly migrated to 5e before giong back to basics with OSR games like LotFP. When playing D&D at all, that is;

When people say "old school" they mean a certain style of play, either taken from or inspired by the games people were playing in the 70s and 80s.

It was distinct from whatever you'd like to call 3e. If you said "I love old school gaming, as best exemplified by 3e D&D" then nobody would know what you're talking about unless you're trying to imply that 3e plays more like AD&D than people think.