Dinosaurs or Dragons?

If you can only have one or the other in your setting, what would you choose?

Dinosaurs.

Anyone who disagrees is a fag.

Dinosaurs

More variety to fulfill all roles and they won't take over the world

Dragons. They're so ill defined and vary so greatly from setting to setting you can have them be basically anything, including dinosaurs.

Dragons aren't real, so you can make dinosaurs and call them dragons

Depends on the setting.

Orcs and ice and dwarves and barbarians type fantasy?

Dragons.

Cyberpunk?

Dinosaurs.

Elves and dwarves and treetowns with a few mines?

Dragons.

Elves and gnomes and treetowns with a few mines?

Dinosaurs.

Ringworld type scifi?

Dinosaurs.

Prehistoric American setting fantasy?

Dinosaurs.

Ice age fantasy with minimal magic? Or sci-fi with such a planet?

Dragons.

Yes.

Dinosaurs, 100%.

Especially because there's opportunities then for dinosaur wizards

Dinosaurs.

Dragons the size of velociraptors.

>not dinosaurs that end up being called dragons, because the natives don't know what WE'D call a dragon and you want to throw your players for a bit of a loop.
Little did they know that the JP-styled Spinosaurus was just as dangerous.

my nigga

I vote for Augmented Dinosaurs.
Dragons carry the connotations of power unearned, long lasting yet somehow fleeting, a fixed concept of power that is the upward limit, but cannot exceed it.
Dinosaurs are something primal, in a way dragon lore can only hope to try and imitate. They are not at base stronger than a dragon, but they have room to grow. Where dragons can be seen as a pure concept, dinosaurs are animals, living things based on parts. Take a dinosaur. Make it better. Claim victory from the dragons by going beyond them in every aspect.

Dinosaurs. Dragons are for losers.

Dragons, because I don't know what kind of climate should be there to make dinos not die.
I'll just make big fae lizards, call them dinodrakes and have them represent wacky dinosaurs

>This
If I had to pick one or the other. Then totally dinosaurs. Especially if I can turn them into forces of nature ala Primal Rage

Dragonsaurs.

Dragons, probably. Dragon stories and symbols just have more antique cred than dinosaurs, who only really hit it big in the last hundred years.

Post dragons and/or dinosaurs

Dragons only when I can also have dinosaur shaped dragons

Otherwise dinosaurs are better

Depends. Dragons have better potential to be characters or power players. Dinosaurs feel better for being more of an aspect of a setting, like the shit that makes sure the people stay within their walls.

Neither

Is that a Dimetrodragon?

>ITT: Large Lizards General

dinosaurs

Dinosaurs, from various eras and areas, all with passive magic that causes them to occasionally raise themselves from the dead once all the flesh has rotted off their bones. Kind of a reference to paleontology.

I'd also give them a natural predisposition to developing magical powers. Mostly simple stuff like fire, ice, or lightning breath. Maybe a few with complex powers like limb regeneration/rapid healing, or something that disables magic within a certain proximity. Maybe 1 in 50 have a breath power, 1 in 1000 has something complex.

The civilization world be somewhere in between dinotopia and monster hunter, with heavy magic use by humans in day to day life.

And people say feathers ruined dinosaurs, look at this fabulous fuck

>Dinosaurs or Dragons?
Yes.

The REAL question is which one makes better monstergirls.

I've actually put dragons in my games but I have never used a dinosaur. So I'm going to vote old school.

No, but which one do you mean? The stegosaurus one or the gorgonopsid one?

Dragons every time.

Whichever ones make more sense as a robot subspecies.

Suspiciously underrated post

Caw caw,motherfuckers.

God-Dragons versus Primordial Dinosaurs. Both have existed before Gods and Man and were at war with each other for ultimately control of creation itself

Damn son, got anymore?

That game was the shit

it's a whole manga you dingus

just look up tyrannosaurus monstergirl manga and you'll find it

dinosaurs for sure

much much better version

>it's a whole manga,
Oh okay I'll sear-
>dingus

>maneuver doesn't work on predators bigger than you
Won't know unless you try!
DEUS VULT!

>Augmented Dinosaurs

I tend to like my dragons as old spiteful relics so dinosaurs.

>Knights riding dinosaurs
Fuuuuuck that's cool

>Fuuuuuck that's cool
That's an actual, canon thing in certain regions in Exalted. Specifically the Hundred Kingdoms region of the Scavenger Lands. You can be a knight riding a dinosaur trying to slay a Shinto-style flaming boar spirit, for example.

It's literally the first thing I thought of while looking at that picture - how perfect it would be for a new PC of mine.

>you can only have one or the other in your setting
But dinos and dragons are the same thing

Too lazy to shop that perfect reaction into a proper image.

>FIRE. FUCK.

It's a thing in the "Eberon" D&D 3.5 campaign setting too. The halflings ride dinosaurs.

I want a Stegosaurus that mimicks my words and screams racial slurs at people before goring them to death.

Dinosaurs. They can easily fill the dragon niche. Dinosaurs have more of a sword & sorcery feel to them.

I've actually been working on something like this for a setting.

The lore is essentially that in the distant past, dragons were the dominant lifeform. They were borne of fundamental concepts like the storm, fire and earth, embodying the natural world. A few of those dragons (mostly those that were borne of water, as they embody change) created other life, pouring their essence into their creations so that they would become intelligent. This is where the player races came from.

These dragons, as they seeded life, became mere shadows of themselves. They became less and less magical over time, but retained their longevity and intelligence. Most became reclusive, watching over their creations in their retirement and occasionally sharing their wisdom with them. Some took a more active hand and became as gods to their subjects. Mostly they were pretty cool, though.

Dinosaurs, on the other hand, came from dragons that took offence to these lesser races populating the world. These were, for the most part, earth dragons who saw these new lifeforms as a way for the water dragons to expand their influence on to land. So they took to creating their own races; servitors that would act as their influence on the world but without the intellect of the water dragons' creations. Giant lizards and armoured behemoths that would tear down towns and slaughter the people there. Flying creatures that would prey upon travellers.

Very rarely one of the dragons themselves will take to the field, their claws like diamond and their roar an avalanche. They are natural disasters made form and the shaking earth is the herald of their approach. Fortunately, most dragons are dormant in this era; the wars of the past having exhausted them so that they sleep for an age, but if one should wake it would be a cataclysm unlike any seen in living memory of any bar the dragons themselves.

That's the summary of it, at least. I've been working on this for a couple of months now.

Both
Together

That's a triceratops, pal.

mine was reversed, the planet was much like cretaceous earth before the stone of first magic crashed into it, those who didn't die were altered by the exposure, ceratopsians becoming almost griffon like, Wyverns and Drakes abound but no real dragons, troodontids or Dromeosaurids evolved into the first Sapient Life, the Kobold, who's grand civilizations would inspire mysteries to the Elves and Humans to come later.

The Kobolds started getting into Designer Life and Created the so called Lizardmen and later the Dragons as their crowning achievement, alas civil wars caused the kobold cities to crumble into such ruin that nobody even knows who made them anymore, even the kobolds themselves have forgotten, now believing the dragons created them as servants.

Dragons natural magic reservoirs enables them to interbreed with most anything, believers in hybrid vigor. they have gained a wide variety of shapes and sizes (most resembling their prehistoric ancestors still), including the human sized Dragonborn, with the advent of humans the more interventionist of the dragons thought to engineer the elves as an artificial evolution of humans, Most of these elves saw the error in such actions and rebelled against the idea of replacing humankind, seeking to mentor their parent race who as of now are in the Hyborian age.