Freeform Roleplay

Does anyone here participate in Freeform Roleplay?

If so, what's you're preferred medium? Forums? Skype? Tumblr? MMO's?

Does anyone use dedicated resources for character profiles like RP Repository or Charhub?

Do you prefer creating and piloting a single character or having everyone write out extensive scenes controlling both their main character along with many NPCs?

What kind of themes or settings do you prefer? Medieval? High Fantasy? Dystopian Sci Fi? Generic Animu Highschool? (lol)

Does your group divide the task of running plots equally or does one person act as a GM to guide or push the story in a certain direction or run loose campaigns?

Do you have any interesting experiences, stories both good bad or completely retarded?

If you don't like freeform then why not?

Lastly-- and this is a stupid longshot -- but does anyone play or have played Furcadia? I know, I know. Got sucked back into it and have been working on creating a new RP community with custom patches and shit. If anyone's interested I can fill you in on the details.

Anyway feel free to answer any of the questions or toss in your thoughts about the subject.

I prefer to have some kind of structure to my games.

>furcadia
I'm one of those degenerates, so I can understand. I hopped in there once. Found it boring and never went back.

Do you prefer tabletops then?

I've only ever done text based online but since I live in a fuckhuge city I've been considering dropping by one of those TT meetup groups.

And yeah, it's dreadfully boring without a core group of friends. Most folks, myself included, use it as a glorified chatroom with movable avatars.

They ran some Kickstarter a while back but the updates have been dragging on for years. Been bleeding players for a decade so there's not many left besides ultra diehards and people who invested too much time/money to leave.

I dig the custom isometric art in the dreams though many stand empty nowadays. And there's a few places left with 60-100+ concurrent players.

Yeah. With rules and boards and minis and such.

If I want to rp without such things, there's furnet irc.

Oh, I've never heard of that. Not very experienced with the scene besides furc and WoW, unfortunately.

I'll check it out. Thanks man!

At the moment, there are 9825 users in 1023 channels. You'll probably find someone there to rp with.

Hot damn, that's impressive. On a good day Furc gets maybe 1700 across all maps and dreams.

Do you know if there are group RP's? I'm not really interested in 1 on 1's. Although I suppose I can just pop in and see for myself.

Too bad it's entirely text based. There aren't many games like Furc that's a graphical medium with a nearly full focus on roleplay, are there?

Been playing a One Piece freeform RP after hearing about it here on Veeky Forums. It's pretty cool/fun but the pace is slow. As I understand though, that's how these things always are. Kind of works out nicely though, where it doesn't take a huge commitment or effort, and just something fun to do during spare or down time.

Oh, me too, which one?

Bon Voyage.

Ah, hoped for another ODAR guy, but whatchagonnado.

Oh, that sounds interesting!

Do you ever encounter any conflict with people either picking or creating and abusing really powerful Devil Fruit curses? I never followed OP beyond the Crocodile dude's arch so I have no idea how crazy the special powers get.

Forum Freeform is definitely nice if you don't want a major time commitment. Few posts a day, stories take weeks or months to progress but it's less stressful and gives everyone time to think about what their characters do.

Im a fan of realtime freeform because I can dedicate an hour or two a day to playing and I can bang out relatively short posts in quick order..? but it's super dependent on having your partners online at the same time.

I used to do a lot of passive on forums, moved to MMOs, and a few IRC chats. Most of the old places I know of are dead now though. I wish I could find some freeform fantasy RP place, either on IRC or wherever.

>Does anyone here participate in Freeform Roleplay?
Yep.
>If so, what's you're preferred medium? Forums? Skype? Tumblr? MMO's?
Chatroom for the sessions themselves, with a forum for anything that needs to be recorded.
>Does anyone use dedicated resources for character profiles like RP Repository or Charhub?
Nope.
>Do you prefer creating and piloting a single character or having everyone write out extensive scenes controlling both their main character along with many NPCs?
We have one or more characters each that we alone pilot except in special cases.
>What kind of themes or settings do you prefer? Medieval? High Fantasy? Dystopian Sci Fi? Generic Animu Highschool? (lol)
I personally prefer modern fantasy or cyberpunk. Our current game is a hard to describe mashup of a ton of genres- modern fantasy, political thriller, cyberpunk and sci-fi, etc.
>Does your group divide the task of running plots equally or does one person act as a GM to guide or push the story in a certain direction or run loose campaigns?
We have two main GMs who alternate running the current plot, though the players occasionalyl get involved in crafting arcs.
>Do you have any interesting experiences, stories both good bad or completely retarded?
Not any I'd be confident in storytiming.
>Lastly-- and this is a stupid longshot -- but does anyone play or have played Furcadia?
Nope.

>Like freeform rping
>Like GMing for it
>Can't stand slow pace though
>Never get to do anything because of this
>Best I've ever gotten were people agreeing to post at least once a day if that

I tried starting a small community where I'd GM quests during my work days and time off with everyone just moving around the overworld doing stuff but it fell apart since things ended up moving at a snails pace.

Not anymore. Because if you play with strangers, you're fucked

I run freeform games not unlike a typical DnD session rather than on a forum, everyone gets together for a night (or a few nights) a week and we kill 6 hours or so in an IRC chatroom. There's an out of character chat where the players and I are free to dank meme away and an in-character channel where we go around posting one at a time, with the players having agency over their characters and the GM (me) controlling just about everything else.

I've been foreverGMing for a couple guys for about eight years now, banged out nearly a gig of IC posting covering about 2500 years of a little fantasy setting I've been slowly building with every campaign. Freeform's not for everyone, but if you get a good group going, it can be pretty darn cool. Feels more like writing a collaborative novel than a DnD group.

>Does anyone here participate in Freeform Roleplay?
Used to.
>If so, what's you're preferred medium? Forums? Skype? Tumblr? MMO's?
Forums. I tried Skype and it was a bit too intense for me.
>Does anyone use dedicated resources for character profiles like RP Repository or Charhub?
Nah. Our games last from a month to an year (depends on the scale), and we make a new character profile for each game and post it in a dedicated thread.
>Do you prefer creating and piloting a single character or having everyone write out extensive scenes controlling both their main character along with many NPCs?
The latter. I like global games with lots of characters and plotlines.
>What kind of themes or settings do you prefer? Medieval? High Fantasy? Dystopian Sci Fi? Generic Animu Highschool? (lol)
Low Fantasy (Elder Scrolls in periods between the games) or Apocalyptic (Fallout). I abhor Generic Animu Highschools, but absolutely love Dysfunctional Animu Schools (Battle Royale, Dandanronpa, Mitadake High, etc etc).
>Does your group divide the task of running plots equally or does one person act as a GM to guide or push the story in a certain direction or run loose campaigns?
The former, but with some limits: GM writes the intro to the game, gives a semi-vague plan for the game and acts as an arbiter in any conflict.
>Lastly-- and this is a stupid longshot -- but does anyone play or have played Furcadia?
No, and probably will not.

Have you considered MUDs or IRC? It's all done in real time postwise so you don't have to wait days for your players to post. You could probably start a group and GM it then just have everyone agree on a time to meet and post, like arranging an IRL tabletop meeting.

Maybe whip together a Wix site with lore and rules or use RP Repository to host a dedicated group forum, character profile pages and what have you.

I'm a huge fan of RPR since I can make custom character profiles (it's free and super user friendly with stats widgets or HTML for the more coding inclined) and everyone I play with uses it as well so I can keep track of activity via our personal forum, like planning dates and times for events or discussing plots OOCly in a place where everything is nearly archived.

Well, that depends. If you have a solid group of trustworthy participants you don't have to worry about retarded asspulls ruining a good plot.

Usually a small reference sheet requirement with a stat allocation section helps weed out the shitters since you can see if someone tries to roll a ridiculous character.

I do! F-list mostly. Used to play WoW.
You can't really control NPCs very convincingly in WoW, so I stick to my own character and the occasional >He says hello to the barkeep, the barkeep greets him back

Any setting t b h f a m but I'm a sucker for grimdark low fantasy

In general, one person ends up being the go-to DM. Sadly.

>Interesting experiences
mang I have too many stories, experiences, etc. I have thousands of hours invested in WoW and F-list

That's pretty darn amazing!

My old group ran from around 2004-2008 and we had up to two dozen major players with many more participating in smaller subplots. We wrapped up the entire thing in a massive event and someone wrote everything that happened into a massive story/lorepage for everyone to read afterwards.

A lot of the friends I made back then I keep in touch with today and hell, this dude and chick who met on there ended up getting married lol.

Some of us still do freeform stuff today still but toned down since everyone got older and busy.

Right now I'm working with some friends to brew a new community since we noticed a lot of old faces returned recently and are looking for a good fun environment to play in.

I'll probably be one of the main GMs but my goal is to just ideally guide players along overall plots with key events while they collaborate on the finer details. Working on worldbuilding, putting together some plot ideas with my friends and drawing concept art for locations is really fun!

I never knew there was an Flist RP community haha. I've only seen links on character descriptions via Furcadia. Have you ever considered trying it out? It's pretty dated visually (like, Ultima Online dated) but there's a few good communities spanning Modern, Medieval Fantasy and so on.

I'm working on a grimdark low fantasy community myself atm. Setting is a spooky plantation settlement/town with aspects of Southern Gothic and some mild Lovecraftian undertones (like weird happenings, inexplicable things lurking in the fields, strange cults, etc.). Kinda like The Village with real monsters. And anthros lol.

What's the best servees for RP? I was told to stay away from Moonguard. I used to play on Argent Dawn but it was very, very, low pop and really lacking in RP outside of Goldshire Inn and Silver Moon City, for whatever reason.

>I used to play on Argent Dawn but it was very, very, low pop
Literally most populous RP server on EU. Where I am, too.

Looks reeeeally dated. Yeah, there is a community, but it'd kind of hard to find. After a while though you start to see that most people know at least one of your friends, and you know one of their friends, etc etc.

I'm currently worldbuilding a low fantasy world, too. Lots of lovecraftian things under the surface

I used to do nothing but free-form roleplay for years.
Mostly on RPOL or Gaia Online to be honest.
Now I stay away from RPOL but occasionally hop on Gaia or Second Life to ERP.

ERP is the patrician RP desu

Ah yeah, AD NA. I heard the EU counterpart was yuuge

And yeah there supposed to update it eventually to 32bit. Seem some custom patchers preparing their assets and it actually looks damn good for an isometric game. Too bad the update date is totally unknown.

And your concept sounds excellent! Hope it pans out well for you and your group =)

Aw shit i forgot Gaia existed. That was the shit back in highschool. Maybe I'll drop by if I can even remember my old name n email lol

:^)

>Freeform Roleplay?
Yes, although it does have some structure in the form of statistics and having to purchase 'moves' with experience earned based on word and character count.
>Preferred medium?
Forums.
Nope!
Well, it depends on the situation. I do have plans revolving around leading an Orcish army against the Elves of Yggdrasil, but I'm solo until I get that in order.
Eh, the site I use has a multiversal setting where an omnipotent being steals characters from across far too many settings and places them in his own demented realm. It sounds kind of bad, but then you realize you can have a space marine put a 2edgy4u assassin in their place.
A bit of both. Everyone largely does their own thing, but there are staff-run campaigns from time to time.
>Do you have any interesting experiences, stories both good bad or completely retarded?
All I really have is the time a nihilistic asshole bastard who had managed to piss off half the site and maintained a minor staff position left the site when fifteen of the best writers on the site had enough of his shit and set up camp waiting for him to show up. Funny thing was, he kept talking shit up until he realized he was outnumbered 5-1 by people far superior to his own mediocre skill.
I think I accidentally played it without knowing what it was when I was too young to know better.

I've been RPing on WoW private servers since like 2008 or something and I'd recommend private servers over retail.
>Quality of RP is much higher since you can just ban / bully people that absolutely suck at RP.
>Everyone is always IC when in the world.
>Players have access to a few GM commands, can morph into whatever.
>Dedicated Staff that hosts custom / lore events in RP fights. Assaulting Icecrown Citadel back during WotLK for example. No actual mechanical combat included but emote battles.
>Can get yourself player housing.
>Access to all armor regardless of class. Also armor that's usually not available to players.

Only problem is that the population peaks at like 100 concurrent players at best.