EDH/Commander general

Weenies edition

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prossh-combocontrol/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck

Do I build Skullbriar or Odric next

Anyone feel bad for winning with certain combos?
I won a game playing Alesha today with Revielark and Karmic Guide, and it felt hollow, like I didn't accomplish anything. It was my first time with the deck, but I had used the combo before, notably in Saffi. I'm not against combo because it's needed, but I don't know.

Build Damia instead, two decks in one

Winning with Mike and Trike, or Devourer and Ooze feels pretty dull.

I was playing Kamahl with an active Beastmaster Ascension, and I just felt bad that no one could remove it.

I'm not sure I even like winning.

I want to build a Dralnu deck but I am having trouble coming up with a wincon, any suggestions?

thats a common feeling

combos are anti-climactic but its not the combo's fault, its your opponent's fault for not having anything to stop you

So /edh/ I'm currently trying to brew a Maelstrom Wanderer-Primal Surge deck. I'm on;y going to use the single copy of primal surge and just permanents, I already have things like Akroma's Memorial and Pathbreaker Ibex to assure the win. What I'm looking for suggestions for is things that let me search for Primal Surge and ways to either get it back or get around a counter or some sort of answer to it.

Now I'm doing this mainly to make primalsurge.dec so if there is a better option for my general I'm all ears.

Any ideas?

I feel the same way. I play a Prossh deck with lots of combos but it also has tons of just fun things to play with in multiplayer. Rarely do I go infinite as soon as I can and even if I have it on the board I keep it around just in case someone can answer or if someone else tries to go for the win.

I don't play the deck very often just because I don't like the feeling of winning that way. But I do play with a group of close friends that play but don't have decks and whenever one of them plays it they always have a great time (and win) so I keep it around.

So.

I have a tappedout deck for Nahiri. I love that she has really strong synergy with a lot of awesome white effects. All good white draw is good in Nahiri due to both token and equipment synergy, she's great with wrath effects, and she runs humility like nobody else.

What I'm a lil less sure of is how she wins. How viable is it really to voltron up a token post field sweep and beat down? Is there a better way?

I don't play my first deck much. Ezuri elves, made from the green 2014 precon. It runs a lot of tutor, the three elves that tap for mana equal to elves, and the 3 artifacts that untap a creature by paying a bit of mana. It is my most powerful deck, and it taught me a lot about EDH and what I like about EDH.

I don't run significant amounts of tutor in any deck I built after, and combos are incidental, not a primary strategy.

If I go infinite in Meren, it's probably just because I happened to get all the pieces, and I have mazirek, woodfall primus, blood artist, and viscera seer all in one place, because it would be very challenging to deliberately get all the pieces.

(replying here 'cause the other thread got abandoned)

I still can't get over the fact planeswalker cards got introduced in Lorwyn, like "here's a storybook world, where there are no humans, and everything is magical, and populated by goblins and giants and elves BY THE WAY HERE'S THESE 4 NEW SUPER MAGICAL HUMANS AND THEIR SUPER MAGICAL CAT FRIEND AREN'T THEY COOL THEY COME ON A NEW KIND OF CARD PLS BUY THIS SET"

>All good white draw is good in Nahiri due to both token and equipment synergy,
Skullclamp, Mentor of the Meek...and?

Mask of Memory
Rogues Gloves
Sword of Fire and Ice

puresteel paladin is badass
Stone Haven Outfitter is respectable because you're going to be casually wiping your own tokens and shit.
Stonehewer Giant repeatedly tutors equipment library to field, which is not true draw but still strong card advantage

No other white deck focuses on both weenies and equipment, except Kemba. And Kemba doesn't like field sweeps very much.

Puresteel Paladin for a Nahiri deck.

Bygone Bishop is dece, better if it was ETB instead of cast.

White has no draw.

Never considered those, but I guess there's typically at least one opponent you can swing in on. Sword's a bit rich for my blood though
Ever since Stone Haven Outfitter got spoiled, I knew I wanted to get it on the field with Skullclamp, if only to say I was drawing 3 cards for 1 mana and a token in monowhite.
Giant's an auto-in, and really I'm surprised Puresteel wasn't reprinted in the Lithomancer deck

0/10 flavor
At least some of the colors match

I know what that's like. Before I dismantled my 14 decks, I had a few that I loved to play, but I didn't play often because they were just too good at what they did, at least for my group. Keep in mind that my group isn't a bunch of bad players. Most of them have been playing since at least Ice Age.

I don't know why it makes me feel bad winning with a deck I like to play.

If you are set on finding Surge as quickly as possible, add Ring of Wishes and Planar Portal.
By adding black somehow, you can also include Sidisi and Rune-Scarred Demon.
You also have access to Parallel Thoughts.
You can get around counter with something like Dosan, Boseju, Teferi or even Sphinx of the Final Word.
Aren't you afraid of cascading into Surge? It will put it on the bottom.

I need to make a new deck, Veeky Forums.

I'm currently undecided between Daxos, Alesha, Roon and Doran.

I tend to turn all of my decks into boring control decks but I want something different for once, so which one is the most interactive and fun to play (both as and against)?

Rise from the Tides or Empty the Pits.
First one is slower play, but second one is riskier.
You can also Traumatize yourself beforehand, or activate Mirror-Mad Phantasm once or twice.

I want to make a deck that abuses my meta. My LGS uses a points system that penalizes you for mass land destruction, infinite combos, mass discard, and similar "unfun" things.

As a result, everything is creatures turning sideways, so I really want to make a Keranos stax deck that wins by slamming Repercussion and casting Blasphemous Act.

Is this a good idea, y/n

Y, that or Mizzix ramping into fireballs. That's my go-to for my meta where everyone's too afraid to attack until they're gonna win.

Don't forget stuffy doll and pyrohemia!

interesting, got a list?

I really think Grizix would be better.

>I still can't get over the fact planeswalker cards got introduced in Lorwyn
Technically, they were introduced in Time Spiral.

forgot pic

Build Odric 1.0. Odric 2.0 isn't as good. Still GOOD, but not "free damage and/or force shit to die" good

I want spell-clones. You play them as instant and are exact same copy of a different spell in the stack with all the attributes, like option to buyback and stuff. They don't copy the spell, but they are the spell. Why don't they already exist?

Interacting with the stack is too hard for new players.

So, how did your games go this weekend?
Got 3 wins against Scion the Ur-Dragon, Progenitus, Ezuri and Horde of Notions.

Fuck that. I want some things that are actually fun. Like flanking, which was great keyword.

With what deck(s) were you playing with?

Mina & Denn landfall+ramp.

Lost a 1v1 against a Teferi mono-blue combo deck, then won a 4 man game against an awfully optimized Talrand, a barely-better Daxos, and an okay Zozu. Then I narrowly won a 4 man game where the other 3 were Odric Soldier tribal, Sharuum, and Gisela.

Mostly because that wouldn't actually work within the rules of the game. There's a reason that things like Twincast just CREATE copies- rewriting the rules to have you cast a spell that copies a spell would be way more effort than it's worth when you can accomplish damned near the same thing by just having spells that create copies.

How the fuck is tribal a type and not a supertype like legendary or basic?

Because supertypes can't have subtypes, and the whole point of Tribal is giving creature subtypes to things that aren't creatures.

I play Sisay, and I can usually pull a very sudden blowout win with Avacyn, Tabernacle, and Armageddon/Vorinclex. I protect it with Dromoka if necessary. But I win pretty late and it's not completely impossible to stop, so I like it.

>Avacyn/Tabernacle
I hope you realize that doesn't do what you think it does.

How is Goyf related to Planeswalkers?

Your tokens don't die to skullclamp with Outfitter on the field.

Tarmogoyf listed "planeswalker" as a card type in the reminder text as a card in Future Sight, before Planeswalkers existed. They were printed in Lorwyn, 4 months later. So Tarmogoyf is the first instance of the word "planeswalker" meaning something within the actual rules of the game.

Did you read the reminder text?

Oh yeah. Neat.

Tabernacle says destroy, not sacrifice. Oracle text says destroy too. I do my research.

Stupid me, I was thinking that Tabernacle worked exactly the way the corresponding Magus works. That's what I get for not checking Oracle.

Yeah, I was surprised too. I was also surprised it wasn't banned. So is everyone I play it against.

Honestly, Tabernacle is one of those cards that I think should be banned purely on a price reason. If the Moxen are banned more for costing an insane amount of money than for being fast mana (for that, Mana Crypt is better and cheaper) then there's no reason Tabernacle and Bazaar and Imperial Seal should be legal.

Why shouldn't they be legal? Mox are banned because of powerlevel

r8 h8 apprec8

Moxes are banned PARTIALLY because of power level, and partially because of prohibitive cost. Every single deck can legally run Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, and Mana Vault, which can lead to much more disgustingly explosive starts than having 1-3 moxen in your deck, but they're legal because they're not 600+ each.

So blue square is a tryhard asshole who I'm sure wins 9 games out of 10, orange and green square have no money for manabase, purple square hates people, red square likes smashing things, and I'd guess lavender square either has a "big boy" deck and then goofy Teysa, or it's legitimately just dragon tribal.

So the real question: which square are you?

tabernacle, imperial seal, and bazaar aren't that powerful. They're just expensive

I'm blue, me and purple are the main spikes so we win most of the games when we play our competitive decks. Orange is a waifufag, and green has autism so he must build every single mono color. You're spot on about red, and lavender has dragon tribal

Which is my fucking point.

There's 5 main 'criteria' the RC use/used for determining whether or not a card needs to be banned. Those criteria are Creating Undesirable Games/Game Situations, Warps The Format Strategically, Creates Too Much Mana Too Fast, Interacts Badly With the Structure of Commander, and Creates a High Perceived Barrier to Entry.

Fucking MANA CRYPT is legal, which is much more warping than the moxen. Why is that? Because while it's stronger at creating too much mana too fast, and possibly creating undesirable games, it doesn't create a high perceived barrier to entry like the moxen do.

Imperial Seal may not be format warping, but it's stupid expensive, and when "is stupid expensive" is one of their criteria for a card being banned...

I have a friend who has a 'modular' mono white deck where he switches out his lead based on who he's playing/how many people (e.g. Odric when there's a lot of people, Avacyn if it's just me and him or a few people). The idea has always seemed odd to me, but he makes it work enough that I can't say it's crazy.
What are your thoughts on the concept of having a deck that could swap out commanders on a whim?

>it doesn't create a high perceived barrier to entry like the moxen do
this is why the cards aren't banned

For fuck's sake.

That's why MANA CRYPT AND SOL RING are not banned. I'm not fucking calling for them to be banned.

I'm saying I'm confused why a 600 dollar Moxen is banned for costing too much, but an 800 dollar Vampiric Tutor isn't, among other cards.

If you understood how the game works you know that doesn't make sense

Funny enough, the oracle on this card is sacrifice, which I believe the card is based from the original land.

These cards don't create a higher barrier to entry, they're just expensive. Why ban them?

They create a perceived higher barrier to entry, because without those 800 dollar cards your deck is worse than it would be with them. If Moxen were legal, would you not instantly cram the appropriate ones into every deck you could, just like every single deck starts with Sol Ring and Mana Crypt right now?

>They create a perceived higher barrier to entry, because without those 800 dollar cards your deck is worse than it would be with them.
Imperial seal doesn't make a deck stricly better, there are a selection of tutors that could be argued are better

Doran is kinda uninteresting. There's a little bit in the way of shenanigans you can pull about having low power creatures, but it's not a super interesting strategy.

Which Daxos? One is low power enchantress, one is voltron. I don't love either.

Alesha is pretty neat, there's a lot you can do with her, and she forces a somewhat aggressive play style, which is nice.

The only Roon deck I've ever seen was a control deck. I'm sure there are other options, but bant blink is a strong control archetype. Still, you could focus a bit more on the beat down with avenger of zendikar, craterhoof behemoth, zegana, armada wurm, hornet queen, etc. but in the end, it is a value deck, and value decks do best in longer, grindier matchups. That lends it to control.

>fucked up two potentially game-winning plays last night
>Group giving me endless grief for it

Shoot me now, /edh/

Motherfucker

This plus cantrips. but yeah, white has fuck all draw.

Run Oloro "Fuck All Creatures" deck. Some user here probably has the link.

>10/1/2009: "In a multiplayer game played with the limited range of influence option, Divine Intervention won't necessarily end the entire game when its third ability resolves. All players within range of Divine Intervention will leave the game. They'll neither win nor lose; as far as they're concerned, the result of the game is a draw. All other players will continue playing."

>limited range of influence option

I didn't even know such a lame mode exists

>limited range of influence option
What the fuck is that

Yup here you go. It's a bit outdated but I'm lazy and haven't updated it, I believe I dropped Garruk for Primal Command. Also I had Triskellion but I dropped it for something else, that one was a little too much feel bad.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/prossh-combocontrol/

I think it's meant for different formats, like prismatic, I think.

It's for emperor games.

How do I into Ayli lads? I was thinking just big dumb white/black creatures but maybe you'll have better suggestions.

It's MOSTLY used in Emperor and Battle Royale, because once you get past like 5 people in a game, not using limited range of influence just makes things stupid.

You need this when playing in big groups from 6-8 players upwards to keep global effects in check. Usually you have range of influence 1 or 2, and multiple players not affecting themselves taking their turns simultaneously.

Also in Emperor Magic emperors have range 2, while lieutenants have range 1. It's a pretty rad format, you should try it. Pretty flavorful with commander too.

It's a SUPER rad format, but it takes for-fucking-ever.

It also require carefully selected decks. If an emperor play combo then it's basically a countdown on the game because the enemy can't interact with it.

Honestly, I feel like that's not a HUGE issue because the kind of group who would go "fuck yeah, Emperor Commander sounds fun" already have a healthy social contract and don't have to worry about someone wrecking the game because they're WAAC.

What was the longest edh game you played?

Back in August when I started edh and mtg, my group and I played one game for eight hours. I was playing Brago and my buddies were playing Marchesa and Zurgo. Don't worry, Brago won in the end.

Mine is fake.

What happened

I have a Maro tribal deck with 4 different commanders based on how strong the decks I'm playing against are:

Zegana is probably the strongest, since when I cast her my hand size almost always doubles or more.

Kruphix and Edric are mid power level, Kruphix provides support by making my hand size unlimited and letting me store extra mana. Edric is more aggressive, letting creatures like coiling oracle generate extra value while they're on the field.

Kaseto is for more casual games, letting Maros get in for big damage, and acts as a voltron back up plan.

This wasn't my original plan for the deck, but I like having the flexibility. My newest project for the deck is working on 3-5 flex spots so I can swap a few cards in and out based on who I'm using (Blue Sun Zenith for Kruphix, Bioshift for Zegana, etc.)

>5-man game, playing Zirilan
>end up being the archenemy by killing a player on turn 6
>remainder of the table tries to kill me and fails

I felt like a fucking supervillain, it was radical

What other commanders make you feel like a supervillain?

Brago

Honestly, my Treva Enchantress helps with that. I just hide behind all my fucking magic circles and watch everyone kill each other because it's too hard to kill me. Then I headshot the poor bastard who 'wins' the three-way duel that I was spectating.

First game I misassigned damage from Godo (he was an 8/8 and not a 5/5 as I thought), which would have killed the player that was trading with me and likely have won me the game

Game 2 I played Atarka World Render (not on the field), some guy had an Angel's Trumpet out which I didn't know was out, and I attacked with a bunch of dragons, tapping them without knowing they had vigilance, and passed my turn only to get laughed at for tapping them out

I fucked up but it's never enjoyable to get laughed at for not seeing a card that's out

>tfw built so much red that the other colors feel boring now
>either win in spectacular fashion or do nothing and get smoked

I just like the glass cannon explosiveness of red too much, what else could I build that comes close?

So for the second one, your friends knowingly allowed you to perform an illegal action so they could gain advantage from it.

Where I come from we call that "Cheating".

Didn't know that until now, but it's too late to call them out for cheating

Not really. Next time you play just say "Hey, remember when you guys let me tap my creatures that had Vigilance last week? You can't knowingly let me break a rule. That's called cheating and you're all shitheads."

So you want an explosive deck that has a little more durability? Or do you want to continue to be somewhat fragile.

I'd recommend Jarad. Play fatties, beat down hard, sac fatties to burn everybody for a lot. If you want to hold on to that glass cannon red feel, you could run a lot of black life drain effects, hurt yourself for advantage and ride the razor's edge of advantage.

Marchesa can also be interesting in that way.

Odric 2.0 + online Serra Ascendant + Kalemne is so juicy it hurts

They'll just come back with some argument of like "well you should have paid attention to what was on the board"

I'll just blow up their lands and lock them out of the game because I'm petty and vindictive

Direct quote from the Infraction Procedure Guide's definition of Unsporting Conduct - Cheating.

>A person breaks a rule defined by the tournament documents, lies to a Tournament Official, or notices an offense committed in his or her (or a teammate’s) match and does not call attention to it.

Yes, you absolutely should have paid attention to what was on board, but they do not have the option of allowing you to perform an illegal action.

Random Question If I use sad hypnotist to having some discard the card they just drew ( and thats the only card they have in hand) can they just play that spell in response

>they do not have the option of allowing you to perform an illegal action
Which I will tell them next time. Honestly, it's water under the bridge at this point, and most of it came from one guy who's kind of the instigator of a lot of bullshit

But I'm still going to be an asshole and use Boil and Wake of Destruction when he busts out Lazav