MTG Pauper General: Stompy Is King Edition

Stompy has edged out Mono U Delver as the most popular deck on MTGO. Get wrecked Delver.
(It's only by one more deck in the meta, but Delver has been king for a long time... and it doesn't take into account UB Delver which is objectively worse than Mono U)
>MTGO Pauper Guide
cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>BUT I WANT TO SEE ALL VIABLE DECKS!
tappedout.net/users/fruuty/deck-folders/

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>WAHHH THATS TOO HARD WHERE...
mtg-hunter.com
The bottom left has a box, select MTGO Pauper, all cards in the card pool and banlist are taken into account.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!

>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/do-atogs-dream-of-electric-thopters/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kuldotha-aristocrats/
mtgvault.com/danitho/decks/ur-aggro-control-burn/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stop making these threads so often. We don't reply. You would be annoyed too if I made a Tiny Leaders general daily.

Make them once a week.

>B-but pauper is not a dead format with set in stone meta

Each thread gets around 50 to 100 posts. Go be salty somewhere else.

This is what happens when WotC doesn't regularly ban cards to force a meta change, the meta evolves on its own. I'm all for banning stupid cards, but to force a meta change? Nah son.

Green is going to be super popular with Mongoose and now Stompy being the confirmed king Delver killer.

Make whatever thread you want, posts only survive if people reply, you butthurt retard. Comparing Pauper to Tiny Leaders, which literally no one gives a shit about ever, is ridiculous.

>3 posters in this thread total
>one of them is me at
>one of them is some other guy at , agreeing with me
>the rest is all OP desperately trying to defend Pauper and its "alive" status

Not impressed. If you really want a good MTG format without spending a lot, just print out Legacy/Modern decks and play with friends instead of forcing them to play with draft shaft.

Good luck with the rest of the thread.

Thanks for the reply and bump :)
See ya later.

I'm this user and I can't agree with you about how pauper is not a "good MTG format".
Myslef, I really like playing with commons and find whole format as nice and cheap way to have fun with my playgroup but we are not giving a fuck about meta decks etc. Just grabbing more or less recent cards and trying to make something new and fresh.
These threads here are mainly masturbation circle aroud stompy and delver - no interesting informations, new cards, tactics etc. Just reposting same decks.

> :)
Ugh, you are not helping me, user

I can't remember the last time delver or Stompy was ever talked about in a general. Stay upset though.

Won a pauper FNM at my store recently with the following Affinity list:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/do-atogs-dream-of-electric-thopters/

It worked very well against Mono U Delver and Elves; the final match was a mirror, except the guy ran a more standard list with that white metalcraft flier, while I ran Disciples of the Vault and benefited from his artifacts dying.

Felt so good man

Im not sure how good ornithopter is in that list. It could be better if you add something to make it lethal, like Bonesplitter or Rancor.

Im working on an aristocrats build with Atog in it. Would appreciate some ideas, friendos.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kuldotha-aristocrats/

>good MTG format
>Modern
>in any capacity

I'll give you Legacy, but fucking Modern?

Yeah he most be trolling.

Also Affinity is awesome. Great matchups vs top tier.

Frankly, I know it's not the top pic. In fact, the mirror list I won against during the FNM was, ironically, better and more consistent than my list. It just so happens that playing an Affinity mirror with Disciples of the Vault wrecks the deck without disciples.

The main reason I play the little guy is because it potentially allows me a turn one play like this:

Artifact land > Springleaf drum > Ornithopter > Ornithopter > Frogmite > Frogmite > Tap the drum for Myr Enforcer.

Of course it almost never happens, but when it does, the look on everyone's faces is priceless.

So, how big is the Pauper online community? Is it mostly played on MtGO, or on free platforms?

What's a good sliver list? I always loved slivers when I played as a kid.

Currently I'm running a rat tribal, which basically functions as MBC.

Probably green white. Muscle and Sinew sliver are super efficient lords.

Mostly on MTGO but it sees testing play on other free platforms.

White Green is the best, lots of lists for that everywhere.

I play MBC, and am having trouble against Tron. How does MBC fight tron?

Mono Green Tron? MBC can't win that one. Your best bet is more edicts or verdicts

Nice thread.

Card Advantage. If you allow him draws, you'll be in trouble.
Go hard on Duress and discard. It's creatures are vunerable to removal and hardly have haste.
Make him play from the top deck while you trash him.

How necessary is obuliette? Can't I just use unearth even if I don't get devotion? Faceless Butcher seems too easy to remove.

Wat.

For MBC.

I'm thinking about building Izzet Blitz, why don't people run Brainstorm in Pauper? Not enough fetching to get the full benefit from it?

I use Brainstorm in my U/R burn deck
Works pretty well

Oubliette isn't necessary. It's just the best choice at that cmc.
Feel free to replace it with pretty much any other kill spell. I use Victim of Night but there are other good ones.

So in my MonoW Soldiers deck, I'm using Icatian Javelineers and Deftblade Elite as my one drops. Does anyone think Elite Vanguard is worth it for the +1 power? I guess Elite Vanguard into Veteran Armorsmith gets me 2 2/2's on t2 which is kinda nice.

I think it's worth replacing Deftblade Elite with Vanguard or Boros Elite.

Unfortunately Boros Elite is an uncommon, and therefore not legal in pauper.
Deftblade Elite is really good. I think you're underestimating Provoke as an ability. The Deftblade ability allows me to more-or-less choose how my opponent blocks which allows me to grind out games a little better.
I'll test it though.

Mono White kinda sucks, so it needs every edge it can get. I'd say it's worth it.

FYI White Rebels would be a nice addition to your gauntlet. It's a fun swarm deck, and around 12 to 14 bucks shipped in paper.

Peopledont use it because there are better options in Preordian and Ponder. Brainstorm can rearrange the way you get your cards but it can't get rid of the unneeded ones. You really need that shuffle effect.

Im trying to make Brainstorm work in a mercenaries deck, but its a work in progress.

Magic is dead. Long live Pauper!

How much better is Chainer's Edict than Geth's Verdict really? It's so much cheaper on paper.

NB4 some dork tells me Chainer's isn't legal.

Chainer's isn't legal in paper ;^)

forced sac effects are really potent, especially if they are relevant late game.

I figured so but thought I'd ask.
Second question, why not this instead of Shadow Rift? Sorcery Speed, but half the cost and still cantrips.

Just realized I'm a massive asshole, I thought Shadow Rift cost 1U. My bad.

What is the best white deck? Soul Sisters? Or Weenie and Rebels?

Easy there. At least Slip cant be countered by Pyroblast.

some nice tech for that deck is Flame Jab, helps pump fiend/cyclops when you're running out of gas

Chainer's is always a potential 2-for-1, Geth's is always a 1-for-1.
Chainers is better.
However, I think that if you're relying on getting to 7 mana to proc chainers you're relying on janky stuff. Geth's is fine for a cheaper option.

Thanks man. I think I'm just going to go Chainer's and replace obuliette.

I'm trying to make the best mono colored decks for my project (pic related) and think I really fucked up. I picked White Rebels for the white deck as I was cheap.

Soul Sisters is the most competitive white deck though, right? I'll throw white Rebels in another box.

I think rebels should be splashed with blue for cards like brainstorm and impulse, along with some other tools that you can dig for.

Is this legal because of EMA or was it legal before?

EMA, unless there was some MTGO release I'm not aware of.

Back again with the deck list.
Creatures:
3x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Mogg War Marshal
4x Goblin Electromancer
2x Sparksmith
3x Goblin Matron
Instant/Sorcery:
4x Brightstone Ritual
3x Lighting Bolt
4x Preordain
1x Tarfire
4x Dragon Fodder
2x Krenko's Command
1x Battle Hymn
3x Distant Melody
Land:
5x Island
4x Swiftwater Cliffs
13x Mountain
After some play testing I've noticed that when the deck goes off it's hard to comeback from it, also Matron works great getting the desired goblins I need or even a Tarfire to help take out a pesky 2 health flyer. However it greatly lacks consistency. The mans basis seems to be fine, however the draw engine is greatly lacking. I'm fiddling around with it and am going to add back 2 keep watch and a 4th Distant Melody. If anyone else has an idea of how to help make the deck more consistent, do please share your ideas.

>Splashing blue in Rebels

Wat.

You could splash UrzaTron in Rebels, but I see no reason to splash Blue, you don't draws, you need mana.

Seems like Tron would be less consistent than just splashing G for STE/Rampant Growth effects. More explosive is it goes off, but without building your deck around searching for them, it seems like you'd just get stuck with one or two of the Urza lands too often.

Since the deck is a bit slow, you could afford to add fetchlands. The fetchland would allow you to take advantage of cards like Ponder and Brainstorm. It might get you the cards you need more often.

>dat deck name
You, I like you.

Feeding the lands to the Atog is kinda risky, isn't it? Or do you kill consistently before it becomes something to worry about?

I've experiment a bit with Ashes to Ashes. It's awful against people who go wide.

4x choking sands in sideboard should help

Maybe find a way to run 4x preordain 4x ponder?

That's the issue, it was originally designed to combo off and win early.
The original list had 8 goblin token spells, 4 keep watch, 4 Manamorphose and 4 melody. But it lacked the ability to combo effectively.

Too bad nobody even gives a shit about Solved Meta Leaders

If there is even a chance of a fog or a possible blocker don't do it.
I've won games against affinity just allowing Atog to go unblocked just to fog after he sac'ed the board.

Who even dose that without a fling in hand?

I know this is not pauper related, but could you guys take a look at this deck and tell me if its any good?
Im a complete noob and only play casual, but there wasn't any threads up so I thought I could just ask here
mtgvault.com/danitho/decks/ur-aggro-control-burn/

>Savannah Lions is now a common

What happened to Magic?

It evolved. Get wrecked.

P O W E R C R E E P

Pauper isn't a newbie or casual format. Try asking in another thread as this one is fairly unpopular.

Creatures are now good. Spells got nerfed.
It's not out of hand though, some old creatures are still playable.

shoulda have post it in the modern thread
btw is viable as a casual deck, even if fetches/boilers and snapcaster aint that cheap and i wouldnt ever consider to buy em if not aiming to play competitive
still, even for a 4fun list it can be largely improved

lists that run brainstorm need also evolving/terramorphic to get rid of the bad cards you put on top
and playin fetches in izzet blitz is a terrible idea

>36 posters
seems like my dynamic ip router will keep pauper alive for another day ;^)

>shoulda have post it in the modern thread
No. Nobody should post anything in the Modern thread. Ever. That way lies shitposting.

It looks like an okay casual deck. The Fetches and Shocklands are overkill and will drive the price up the wall, but if you already own them for some reason or are proxing, go ahead. Same goes for Snaps.
I'm not exactly sure for what you are building here. You have a lot of good, but incredibly expensive cards in there. If you are including those, you are already halfway to a really good deck for a Format, if you are just building for Casual you are pumping the price sky-high for little benifit.
Anyway, consider Counterspell, Brainstorm and Incinerate.

Paper pauper is mtgo pool with paper cards else it isnt a format

How does the mtgo card pool differ from the paper one? Googling isn't helping me figure this out.

They launched a MTGO exclusive set with rarity downshifts.
Cards like Chainer's Edict were released as common on Vintage Masters but only as uncommon on paper sets.
Some people claim that's bullshit and that those cards are not playble in paper pauper.
They are fags, but they are angry for a reason, Wizards should have released them all on Eternal Masters but didn't.
Don't be a fag about this if you want the format to stay alive.

You'd say that - but in my final game I lost game 2 precisely because I didn't turn atog sideways. He had one blocker and I had an option of Galvanic Blast, sack everything, swing with atog and THEN if he tries funny business (which he did - he killed the atog) sack and fling in response. Instead I proceeded straight to sacking and got punished big time.

That's another good reason to run Disciple of the Vault. If you have one on board, your opponent would take 7-8 damage by the time your board is clear. You have two? The opponent's dead before you even fling.

I must mention again that my list is in no way optimal though, I just find it fun to fish for turn 1 enforcers with thopters and to kill people without even attacking or casting anything. And fun is what pauper is about. If you want more consistency drop black lands for white ones, drop thopters for metalcraft fliers and disciples for more mana rocks/card draw.

> do you kill consistently before it becomes something to worry about?
Affinity is fast but not that fast. It takes one blue mana (Hydroblast) to fuck your shit up. Therefore the best way to win is still turn your robots sideways and look for an opening - when an opponent is tapped out or topdecking or you have a pyro/hydroblast of your own. This is easy because Affinity actually has both burn and creatures as an alternative wincon.

It's much safer to fling people game 1 for this very reason - they are less likely to run super cheap counters for you.

Okay, can someone give me a straight answer to a question I have? I've wanted to play MOTO for ages, and I have an account, but the main thing stopping me from playing is that I have to buy in, with cash. I'd rather spend my cash on physical cards and play against my friends (who won't buy MOTO) for free.

However, I will happily play Online, if I can play for free and earn prizes. I am aware that there's some sort of points system that you're awarded based on your performance in an event. Are these points awarded only for paid-entry constructed and limited events? Or can I earn them from casual games? I'm happy to grind if I have to grind; What I don't want to do is rebuy my decks. I already bought them once.

If online doesn't appeal to you then don't bother. Its usually much cheaper than paper, or there are terrible free programs like xmage or cockatrice. You have to pay for the client, then you can use Player Points to buy things. It is possible to go infinite, but it ain't easy. Google "MTGO pauper infinite" for more details.