WIP - Painting/Sculpting/Converting General

No WIP thread on Veeky Forums?!? Emperor's Teeth! That's HERESY!!!

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>In the face of death, I shall have no remorse.
youtube.com/watch?v=N_ZgyNoHtjw

>Previous Thread:

This is a Scourge I worked on this afternoon. I've never done wings before but I think they turned out pretty good. Still need to base it obviously but I had fun with the model. One thing I struggled with was the hair. I was trying to go for an aqua-marine/emerald color, a very bright greeny blue but I just couldn't get it to work.

im trying to get a hold of airbrushing for basecoating my nids and some stuff
shame I was only able to do the upper part of the leg kinda right

Getting some Super Dungeon painted for a friend.
God I really want to play Frostgrave with these things.

>I was trying to go for an aqua-marine/emerald color, a very bright greeny blue but I just couldn't get it to work.

Hmmm... I just picked up a bottle of Citadel's Drakenhof Nightshade. I wonder how that would look washed over a bright greenish-blue. What approach did you take?

I based in Temple Guard Blue, then washed it with a watered down Waywatcher Green glaze. Then I dry-brushed it with Niblet Green and Skink Blue before finally washing it lightly again with a dark blue.

Honestly I was just throwing everything I could think of at it. It came out alright but it's not the color depth I was hoping for.

Well, everyone starts somewhere

is that 3d printed?

yeah, I'm the guy from last thread

this guy precisely, since I can back link

What exactly am I looking at?

>working on my unit of gunmages
>one of the poses has terrible flaws
>get discouraged and don't want to paint them anymore
I've pretty much accepted that the model is going to turn out ugly as shit. Can't really hide massive flaws on the model. Maybe pp will send me out a replacement model.

I'll just work on my vanguard instead.

how big is that model? id love to use it minus the scythe as a imp in frostgrave

Me learning how to paint by mucking about with bases 3d printed for cheap minis. The two on the right were supposed to look like concrete, the one on the left was an experiment in what Leadbelcher would look like.

So are the treads on the rhino supposed to snapfit somehow? They ended up being the only thing I really felt the need to use glue on.

ah

They need to be glued on.

does anything else really need to be glued? it seems to fit together just fine without it.

I always glue the side doors, the sides, and the front plate down, I just leave the roof and the rear door loose. I only glue the top hatch down if I have no intention of swapping it out for something.

I need help with a Forest scheme for Tau. I was thinking Olive green armor and brown fatigues.
What's a good highlight to olive green?
What's a good way to do brown fatigues?

And what's a good way to do forest bases? I'd prefer to avoid drowning everything in flock.

Forest floor would actually be mostly dirt, with leaves and twigs.

Reposting this here from the 40k general a few days back, my blue Mechanicus. Gonna finish up the Rangers, then it's on to painting a fuckton of automata and that Dunecrawler.

Just finished the base for Miss Step (Malifaux).

Hey WIP, I recently picked up a Maw-Krusha (pic related) and I'm unsure what to do with the base. It's got a lot of room so I could do something neat, but I don't know if I want to start a new "Orc only" army or include him in my Spider tribal Goblins army.
The spider tribe I wanted to look like it's in a swamp, which I'm not sure would look as good with the Maw-crusha which looks like it belongs on a wrecked battlefield or up in the snowy mountains.
I'm not sure, help/ideas plox?

He's not exactly tiny.

I like it.jpeg

I have some 3d models i need printed for a conversion project I'm working on, pic related.

Can anyone recommend a service? I'm not sure who's good and bad in the industry; I was thinking of just going local so in the event something goes wrong I can actually go and yell at them in person.

I've used shapeways twice now for shoulderpads and vehicle icons. I'm not sure what they would charge for that but you get to select the material.

What kind of brushes do you assholes use?

Mostly GW ones but when i need to go fine detail i break out the winsor and newton sable size 1 & 0

10 down, another 10 to go.

Still got Cassius, Blood Raven, a Crimson Fist (heavy weapon of some sort), a Sons of Antaeus (done in truescale because they're supposed to be gigantic), Salamander (converted to power armour), Mentor Legion ( tacticool sternguard), and 1 or 2 other conversions.

Dats a weird lookin squiggoth

Minotaur's looking good, I'm surprised I've never noticed him posted before. Shield is the head of a tack?

Anyone have suggestions as to alternate models for Nurgle Blight Drones?
Someone suggested Plague drones but they are barely 1/3 the size.

I don't mind conversion work thought the idea is to keep build budget below the price of the official FW drones.

He was the last to be finished. Yep its a brass tack. Problem was nothing would stick to it. So I had to scuff it up with sandpaper, then prime it, then paint it brass again, which was annoying.

reposting because it was near ded thread.

i swapped the legs from model a to model b for 2 models and swapped right leg a with right leg b for 2 more.

2 have normal legs. most have at least 1 ironguts arm and most arms had to at least be re positioned with a blob of grey stuff in the sockets.

the runners arm was cut up and changed so much to get that pose i had to sculpt half the arm, hoping it will look decent when primed.

Ooh, looks nice.

I was thinking of doing blue Mechanicus to go with my Storm Wardens, mind sharing how you did them?

VERY WIP dwarf warriors. third color, first layer past primer. Ten down with the brass, seven left.

these two look particularly good. although I'd be a little concerned about the loyalty of that Dark Angel wearing a HH era shoulder pad.

I am a fucking retard

Cloaks are Caledor Sky, then a coat of Teclis Blue watered down to nothing along the folds and upper surfaces where light would hit, then Teclis Blue in thin lines around the hems and such.
Armor is Runelord Brass painted right over the black undercoat, Leadbelcher on the edges to give it some shine, then dabbled or streaked with N(vowels) Oxide, that worn brass technical paint. I focus on rivets and joints in the armor where it'd be harder to polish.
Metallic parts are just Leadbelcher and then Nuln oil, the wooden guns are Rhinox Hide and then drybrushed in the direction of the wood grain with Gorthor Brown. Lenses are Waagh! Flesh and then Moot Green, all lenses, glassware, and screens get a layer of Ardcoat to shine them up.

Still not sure on the basing, thinking forested or woodland to keep the color scheme in the cool colors spectrum, I've only used red and yellow in stuff like the wiring to underline the details.

I haven't built or painted miniatures in about six or seven years now, kind of feeling as I go along, what works and what doesn't. There's a GW guy (I think his name is Duncan) who does painting tutorials, I've watched most of them, learned other lessons the hard way.

anyone used these or can tell me how they work?

seventeen seems like a weird number for a unit, but the blue/brass looks pretty good so far

Ok so I've just tried doing a wash and it really doesn't look right. Am I doing something wrong here? Yes I'm a complete newfag. Should I not be using black? Is the wash too thick?

I think the issue with washing him is that your green is pretty thick, and has some kind of weird texture to it. It almost looks like super fine flock or texture paint. The wash is hanging in the texture.

Though to answer your initial question, I think you're supposed to wash and then highlight over the washes, that'll make the edges of the plates and such stand out more.

The weird texture looks like he's either primed too thick or from too far away(bits of it drying mid air and then sticking to the model to produce a weird texture)

The tiny dots of white showing through all over him also hint to that.

Yeah, I think i sprayed the undercoat on way too thick, hence the odd texture. There's just one layer of watered green on it, so I think it has to be the undercoat. Was pretty difficult to tell when it was covered with the white due to the colour of the resin itself, I wound up overcompensating trying to get it in all the recesses. Might use black for the next model (Vyper). I'm going Iyanden, does yellow/blue work well on a black undercoat?

Think I might just forgoe washing these models and just highlight them instead. Glad I didn't start with the Exarch. Thanks for the backfeed dudebro.

Yeah, primed too thick. I sprayed from about 30cm away, a la the instructions. Was that too far? The thick texture made it really fucking hard to paint, just sucked up all the liquid, I probably used about twice as much green as I would have needed. Any tips/videos on undercoating in general?

Not sure if I should add a blood effect to his scythe... I think the blood would distract from the rust or possible be kind of confusing to look at.

Use a green wash instead. If you use a black wash you need to go back over with your original green on the raised armor plates, and leave the black wash in the cracks.

Also all washes look dirty and weird like that, unless you gloss varnish before washing, or use an oil wash/pin wash which also requires varnishing.

Ahh, coolio. Thanks man, will try out a darker green.

No! I have no problem with models with open sores etc, but blood effects 9 times out of 10 all but ruin a model

blood effects splashed all over a model's weapons / splattered all over them I meant to say

What's the most creative objective marker you've seen? I've been thinking of making some Imperial Guard related ones, like a flag, a bleeding out commissar, commander half crushed by a wrecked chimera.

Played a 3-way game recently where we used a Vortex Deathstrike launcher as the objective. 500 pts each, squads respawn when they are wiped, if you control the objective until your next shooting phase you give one of the other players a marker, representing a missile strike. 2 strikes removes a player. Was pretty fun, but dragged on a bit. Eventually the Eldar dude won because fucking ghostaxe Wraithblades with a warlock are ridiculous.

This is my custom "Lord of the Plagues" model for Warhammer Quest, what a blast to paint.

>no hook hand

Letting me down senpai.

Couldn't find one in my bitz box :<

but It was a good idea and I did look!

Wow, that's amazingly disgusting.

That actually made me flinch when i opened it... makes me feel itchy for some reason fucking disgusting and bloody good

In the middle of working on this guy.

Well I made a vague attempt at cleaning this guy up. Still looks like ass, but slightly less so maybe. Ah well, we live and learn, I'll undercoat properly next time.

Good job user! From what I remember from the last thread he looks better now. I would clean up on the sword and his helmet where it meets the hair. Did you use a wash on him? If not slather that baby up.

Looking pretty damn good just the way he is.

You could do the swamp theme easy enough by having it's sitting on broken tree logs and stuff. That way it'd fit the theme with the army better.

I've been told they are effectively the same as normal with also having a little bit of 'Ardcoat mixed in. Unsure if accurate though.

Thanks, I tried a wash on one of the other Scorps and, well, see I fucked up the priming somehow, got way too thick a coat. I'll try black on the next model (Vyper) and see how that goes. Need to highlight him next, I was thinking screaming skull or some other light colour. Any recommendations? Oh and pic related is him before damage control.

Maybe try something like this for highlighting on the edges. Or just add white to your previous greens till you get the color you want.

How do you learn to identify the consistency and the quantity needed such that the paint doesn't blob up on the figure, but it also still applies to the figure rather than being stuck in the brush

Or did I just buy a really shit brush to save money?

Anyone know how the heck you add the underslung shuriken cannon to the Vyper model? There's literally no place/way for it to fit without cutting bits off the model.

If it blobs up, it's too thick.

If it won't come off the brush, it's also too thick.

If it flows away from the brush all over the place, that's when it's too thin. And you're probably having way too much on the brush.

A bad brush won't affect paint consistency, instead you get a bad tip, and it won't hold as much paint.

hey guys i have bought storcast part of starter box , have u got some ideas to convert them to deathwing termies ?

making a Hell Blade for my Khorne army.

mix 1/1 green and yellow and highlight the edges of the armour. basically you want the colour of goblin skin.

I'm reasonably happy with these, given that I haven't painted in 10 years. Base paints + wash + an attempt at flesh highlighting, which generally resulted in just painting over the flesh entirely. Is there anything I can do to improve on them, without spending forever doing highlights?

Second squad. Fucked up the primer a little, but I think I managed to salvage it.

Seems pretty good for guardsmen. Decals for squad/army markings would be an easy way to add something without having to worry about doing highlights.

Where do you get them from these days? I've hauled all of my current lot out of my attic, but I'm looking to buy a few more. Do boxes come with any decals, and/or are there better places to get them from?

Also, the base texture paint that GW sells looks like easymode for basing. Is that actually the case/is it worth the price?

So here's my first Guard commissar, and I honestly think it's one of the best models I've ever painted, took me a few hours. What do you think?

Anyone else want to weigh in on the quality of my first project? Should I just use basic black bases?

Same from the back

What's the point for? To indicate direction, or just for style? Basing looks good, and should look good even if you switch to regular bases.

Holy fuck that sword is out of scale, dude should be falling over backwards. Nice paintjob though, well done.

boxes should still come from them, and I imagine they'd be cheap to pick up on places like ebay

never tried the base texture paint, so I can't comment on it

The red on the back of the collar needs to be tidied up, but otherwise job's a good 'un.

>went back to my old Lizardmen army
>so much stuff is broken and missing
>no idea what fits what and I don't have the boxes still

And nothing fucking sticks. I need a good plastic glue.

How is Revell contacta glue, lads?

on the brink of buying my first 40k miniatures, gonna be my first experience with tabletop.
I am afraid of fucking up the miniatures because my hands shake like hell.
Any experience regarding shaky hands and how to compensate?

Press the bottom of your palms against each other, and anchor both your elbows on the table.

I like it user, can't wait to see how he looks once you tidy up the base.

Thanks guys. First time Veeky Forums has thought my painting was good (I posted some not-great smurfs in the thread yesterday), and I'm glad you like it.

How shaky? Mine tremble a wee bit and I like to think my dudes come out okay. Alot of the stuff I just use the edge of the brush to get details that pop up.

I just take it slow, try and control my breathing, and do things in short strokes where hopefully my shaking won't fuck it up.

But I can empathise, user, it's rough when you want to paint

Shout "BOLLOCKS" every time you slip, then grudgingly reach for the colour you need to touch up.

It's for you user, you deserved it.

>that Dark Angel wearing a HH era shoulder pad.

It's not what you think. His left shoulder pauldron is standard Deathwatch issue, and his right shoulder pauldron is embellished because Zameon Gydrael was a Company Champion before being seconded from the Dark Angels chapter.

Thanks ! Gonna try this one sounds good for additional stability

To the point where i can't draw a straight line, it looks all jittery and messy in general.

I start holding my breath don't even know why. I guess I too should work on controling my breath.

>Where do you get [waterslide transfers] from these days?

Have you considered Bartertown?

The generic Space Marines sheet comes with transfers for half-a-dozen chapters. When I suggested I'd be happy to trade the chapters I didn't need (Ultramarines, Black Templars, Salamanders, etc.) for others' Blood Angels transfers, they just *sent* them to me free of charge.

Similarly, I gave away some of my Cadian transfers since I only had the one box and it comes with markings for several different regiments.

Yeah user, holding your breath will probably only make the shakes worse. It's a tough thing to pick up, but I got faith in you

How shaky are we talking? A chronic condition? If not, I've heard that eating a meal to get your blood sugar up will help reduce trembling. Also bracing your hands/forearms on a table is a good idea, shakes or no.