Do you allow noble background characters?

Do you allow noble background characters?

Putting classes to Western Astrology was my idea glad it went places it shouldn't. Who you calling an NPC?

Sure, as long as the player has paid for it.

As long as they don't have access to all their wealth/political favors to fix every problem the party comes across.

Prodigal son who wants to become a knight and make his own name for himself, good shit, I'd definitely allow it.

Weeaboo wanting to play an anime princess who just steamrolls the campaign by hiring bodyguards to do everything for her or flaunting political favors everyone owes her before the game has even started... yeah, fuck that, go find another GM to run your shitty Maid RPG game, thanks.

Why not?

>Do you allow X
The answer is always yes, unless you don't trust your player with this matter or you think it has severe mechanical consequences.
So the answer is clearly yes.

Given that throughout most of history nobles were the only people equipped to pretty much DO THINGS, I'd say very absolutely yes. No better way of justifying your character being stronger, healthier, more literate, having more combat experience and the time and ability to prance about not-Europe going on adventures without having to worry about feeding their families. It also helps justify them acting like assholes, and helps motivating them to go on adventures for reasons other than there being a treasure at the end. "Your people are being attacked by X monster, it's your job to defend them" is every bit as good an adventure starter as "the guy in the black hood randomly approaches you at the bar".

It may take a tiny bit of thought to get all the players on the same level, but I've found that "noble and their entourage" works amazingly for getting characters together in the first place. One of the best campaigns I've ran had a prince, the prince's scarily capable manservant, his bodyguard and his royal advisor/magician for basic characters.

Background characters are NPCs by definition so as a player I'm not in any position to allow or disallow them.

Yes. Only minor nobles, though, unless the players want some high level political maneuvering.

Rate my character
>Wild West setting, supernatural elements (Deadlands)
>Russian nobleman, mid-high ranking, father died in Crimean war and evil cousin/official/cossack stole lands and titles
>Traveled western Europe doing work and getting educated
>In USA now to earn enough money to get back his title, maybe even bring back democracy or industrialization
>was too young to really remember his father, idolizes him and the nobility he represents
>faithful Orthodox, may buy some faith powers eventually
>Tries to draw parallels between the USA and Russian Empire, kind of falls apart in the nitty gritty (democracy, 15 year civil war, etc)

Sure, why not?

I played a top level noble's son in a campaign, but we were mainly in hostile parts of the kingdom, so the only significance of it inside sessions was being invited to parties of other nobles, which the DM used as a plot device. In 5E DnD its background effect is totally negative because your three servants can't do anything of mechanical significance. I once had to use 3 of my 4 spells for a day just casting feather fall to save their lives.

Koishi please go. Your family is outcast, not aristocracy.

Yeah, of course. There's tons of mileage you can get out of a noble background, both as a player and a DM. Hell, I'll let you play a prince or princess if you want.

>Hell, I'll let you play a prince or princess if you want.

Okay! My character is a faerie catboy prince.

stop posting this shit

We're running traditional British Isles fairies here, so pick Cat Sith or Cath Palug.

I actually encourage the backgrounds that give player some standing in the world. Nobility is one of such backgrouds.
Having obligations and something to lose makes way better plothooks than "I'm a murderhobo pls givbe fetchquests".

As long as it's one of the many little dukes and duchess families, I allow it.

Okay, I'll play a Cat Sith fighter.

You meana Cait Sith Fighter?

Being from a noble family is one of the homeworlds in Dark Heresy so yes. Noble characters starts out with an enemy house for the GM to use against them which helps balance their increased monthly income.

Did I stutter.

nope