OC Thread #11

Welcome to the Veeky Forums OC thread.
Previous Thread: Tell us about your original characters, new and old. Let's hear some stories of valor and glory and build some legends in here.

>THIS THREAD IS PRIMARILY FOR CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT AND SHOWING OFF YOUR FAVORITES FROM YOUR GAMES
It's like the Storythread, but centered on characters that we all know and help make. Your Original Character can be any character you've played, are playing, or want to play!

>WHEN POSTING YOUR OC
Give us a little blurb about your character, this is a brag thread after all. Some basic questions to get you started:
• Name:
• Role(s):
• Goals:
• Traits:
• Flaws:
• Allies:
• Enemies:
• Other Relations:
• Physical Description:

>WHAT'S YOUR OCs MARY SUE SCORE?
springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm

Write and share stories about each others' characters (use a pastebin for works that would take up multiple posts). Draw and share pictures of each others' characters (please link offsite in the event of NSFW work).

Ask questions about other anons characters and get to know their stories, and tell us all about your own.

Need help developing a new character concept? Ask away!

This thread is intended to be all in good spirit, so please remember to be excellent to each other, and try to contribute in some way. If you can't draw, write something for someone and vice versa.

>IF YOU JUST NEED CHARACTER ART, GO TO THE DRAW THREAD
There are more artists consistently there that are actively looking for requests to fill, that's not the case here.

>DON'T MAKE A NEW THREAD UNTIL PAGE 10
Use art from these threads as OP image when possible.

GoogleDoc of the characters so far (still in progress, so don't be alarmed if you don't see yours) drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_dUy0Yo4cigbTB1Q1g5bTRvcTQ&usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Hxs7GkhGijE
springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=A_btA1bS53w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Development Batch 1:

Does your OC give money to beggars? Unconditionally?

Does your OC tip bards?

How often does your OC see their family members?

What is the name of your OC's favorite tavern, and what is the specialty drink there?

What is a skill your OC is proud of having that is not covered by in-game stats?

OC: Charlotte du Beauchamp

>Does your OC give money to beggars?
Yes, if she can spare a few gold then why not? She isn't hurting for funds or anything.

>Unconditionally?
Sure, it's just a few coins.

>Does your OC tip bards?
If the song makes her feel happy or better than she did before listening.

>How often does your OC see their family members?
Not often since leaving the city. Her father has probably sent a party out to find her, but she'll return when she's finished her quest.

>What is the name of your OC's favorite tavern, and what is the specialty drink there?
In Avernmon there is a small hole-in-the-wall place in the market called Treasure Trove. They make a mixed drink called Copperbottom that Charlotte has not yet braved.

>What is a skill your OC is proud of having that is not covered by in-game stats?
She has a knack for birdwatching and calls, it's been a hobby of hers for a few years now.

New commissioned art! Thank you Salt.

>Does your OC give money to beggars? Unconditionally?
Being a country-boy unused to the hustle and bustle of cities, the concept of a beggar is something foreign to him. While I imagine he'd be fine with giving a few coins to the beggars that ask, he wouldn't go out of his way to look for them.

>Does your OC tip bards?
Of course! Every bard needs some patronage! That said, we've got a Diva Bard in our party that often takes the role of playing at whatever locale we're visiting (she's quite the prima donna and prefers working alone.)

As often as he can, which is to say his motivation for adventuring is to reunite with them.

>What is the name of your OC's favorite tavern, and what is the specialty drink there?
The Inn-Between, a hole in the wall located in Durengrad. After having saved the innkeeper from a grisly demise at the hands of a vampire, he has made a specialty drink called the "Dusk Hunter", which is essentially a Black Russian.

>What is a skill your OC is proud of having that is not covered by in-game stats?
Dad jokes and phrasing.

• Name: Astrid Louve
• Role: Heavy hitter, can tank some hits too, always leads the charge
• Goals: Setting dependent, really I haven't given it a lot of thought
• Traits: Courageous, self assured, loves fighting either actual fighting or friendly vitriolic jabs and quips, has some good ole' country survival techniques, depending on setting a slight Southern US accent
• Flaws: Hot headed, stubborn, she has real trouble admitting when she needs help the type to talk your ear off to steer the conversation away from her problem
• Allies: Lise Iselda, life long friend and the only person she trusts completely and will seek to help or get help from her
• Enemies: Holden Victor, a stoic soldier who she often comes into conflict with by the nature of normally being on opposing sides
• Other Relations: Aimery Tiennan, they have a very slap, slap, kiss, kiss relationship
• Physical Description: Shoulder length auburn hair thats typically messy, almond shaped blue eyes, receding high cheekbones, slightly pouty lips, a slight hourglass body shape, with some long legs, 5'6/170 cm, 117lbs/53kg

I dunno I've been enamored with Rogue from the 90s X-Men show and used some elements of her character as another layer to a fantasy berserker I had made sometime ago.

I just posted my OC in the last thread so I'll just answer the questions.

Does your OC give money to beggars? Unconditionally?
Yeah if she can afford it, but not unconditionally. Don't want 'em just using it to get drunk and be begging again tomorrow.

Does your OC tip bards?
See previous answer ______;3______

How often does your OC see their family members?
Whenever she can, she wants to make sure the rebuilding is going well and to see if they need anything taken care of while she's around. Her mother worries so!

What is the name of your OC's favorite tavern, and what is the specialty drink there?
Georgie doesn't drink alcohol, but there is a cute little cottage that serves food and drink. It doesn't have a name, but the locals have come to call it Hag Hut.

What is a skill your OC is proud of having that is not covered by in-game stats?
Georgiana Presch is one heck of a gardener!

No. She tries to get the able ones to join the military in some capacity, and the ones unable to do that to use the alms her religion gives away. She'd help one with finding work or with just starting over if asked.
>Does your OC tip bards?
Yes, and plenty.

Every day. Send help.

The Purple Worm, located in a petrified husk of a... well, purple worm. It used to be a wizard tower as well before the wizard left the mortal coil and his then-apprentice started the bar, figuring that a landmark tavern in the middle of the second biggest city on the continent would bring more money than another wizardly practice. He was not wrong. The drink is called an 'astral voyager' after the wizard, and is a magically-flavoured tall glass of 90% ethanol. Goes down like a strawberry smoothie, and then you do. The hardier races love it, and so do the students and initiates of various academies and orders around the city, treating downing one as a hazing ritual.

The ability to curse for half an hour and not repeat herself once. Not even the grand master of her order can do THAT!

>Send help

Lol'd.

>Development Batch 1:

If she has money herself, then absolutely!

>Does your OC tip bards?

Well of course!

Not very much, they are still around but they don't agree with Mary and her decision to travel....

The red moon inn, they serve a special red moon wine that can only be created during a lunar eclipse...but Mary drinks primary apple juice

Mary is quite fond of her singing voice, though she only really sings in the bath.

>• Name: Victoria (comet)
>• Role(s): Glass cannon, Damage mage.
>• Goals: Take down the faction that is responsible for the loss of her body, research, and friends.
>• Traits: she is very level headed, she can stay calm in most any situation no matter how bad, her years as a scientist has caused her to become fairly analytical, but once you break past year shell. She is just like a little girl, science still fascinates her and she loves exploring and discovering new things with the people she cares about.
>• Flaws: her analytical personality can be very off putting at first, and once she warms up and becomes friendly it can be a big problem for people who don't like hugs or play fighting...
>• Allies: all of fairlight, the faction of elites she is apart of.
>• Enemies: Dr. Jyde, he was the one who destroyed her entire life and research.
>• Other Relations: none.
>• Physical Description: the picture says it all. She lost her body in an explosion. But a fast responding team kf elites where able to keep her alive long enough to place her into the body she is in now..

Well...thats what I get for forgetting to put spaces...shit....

Lol, I'll decipher it after lunch and let you know what I think. I saw you in the drawthread, BigM is a really cool artist.

She usually will.
>Unconditionally?
If she is not in a hurry, she'll sit down with them and ask them to tell her a story for it.
>Does your OC tip bards?
She lets them. But just the tip
Not very. Always making new friends means you have to often leave your old connections behind, but her family is an exception and she tries to visit whenever possible.
The Tipsy Pixie, a bar owned an operated by one of her water magic teachers. He uses a special process to distill the finest whiskey in the region.
She invented a way to harness her magic to moisturize and protect her hair, keeping it healthy despite being so long. Also summoning lame manateemen, apparently.

...Relatives?

That's the pic that the artist used for when he made it for me earlier.

>Does your OC tip bards?
Yes, she doesn't have a very strong attachment to money

Not very often

Poutin' Possum, their specialty drink is the Southern (or Alabama) Slammer (amaretto, Southern Comfort, sloe gin, and orange juice)

Her hair, her abs, her heritage

>• Name: Rashad Shi' Thead (Real name: Tomas Morristan)
>• Role(s): Front line Fighter, Duelist, Harasser, Self proclaimed lady's man.
>• Goals: To build himself into a legend, live out his fantasies, topple the mightiest of foes, meet the perfect girl(s) and have a wonderful life with her(them).
>• Traits: Born in the Wrong Century/Country, Imaginative, Boisterous, Fantastic swordsman, fantastic lexicon of taunts.
>• Flaws: A little bit of Don Quixote and has issues separating reality and imagination, Thinks there are "rules" on how things are done "The villan must monolouge" or "The hero must save the damsel" and so on.
>• Allies: Currently Holding Auditions
>• Enemies: Currently Holding Auditions
>• Other Relations: His poor beleaguered mother who is glad that he's out of the house but worries for hims constantly.
>• Physical Description: A very fit "Twenty Something" Adorned in the garb of a desert raider, modified to look heroic/cool. he has short brown hair, with green eyes and a neatly trimmed goatee, his face is strong but boyish, and he often covers it up with his headdress to look more menacing.

Rashad would probably crusade against the socio-economic circumstances that led to the beggar's begging... for about a day. After which he'd probably find a new noble cause to devote himself to. Especially if this noble cause has a pretty lady with a sweet voice attached to it.

>Does your OC tip bards?
He'd slip them a gold piece and start making requests. Spreading the tale of Rashad Shi'Thead!

His dear old mom, While she's glad that he's out of the house and isn't reading heroic novels at all hours or worse writing self insert fanfiction. But his new hobby of actually BEING a hero leaves her worried for his well being. Rashad always turns up at the Family manor when ever his adventuring funds run low.

I still really like Rashad. Got any stories to tell?

He wouldn't be opposed to it, given he has more cash than he knows what to do with. However, this does not mean that he'll hand out money just for looking at someone or go into the hobo 'hood and leave a bag of cash, should at least ask nicely for it.
>Does your OC tip bards?
Given the only musician that he knows or has seen outside a paid gig was his gf, depends on what you mean by tip.
Servers at dining establishments though, definitely. Before the meal as in an age past, tipping was to ensure good service instead of rewarding it, and he still sees it as such no matter what the party tells him and usually in larger amounts than the bill itself, since he's got coins burning a hole in his Bag of Holding. Needless to say, the bard has glared away a good few waitresses impressed with his generosity.
Hasn't in 40 years. Thinking of trying to track them down for reunion's sake, but that much time doesn't exactly leave a warm trail and he knows it. That and he doesn't into scrying spells, so it's even harder.
Nine-Pillars, don't know what their signature is, but a regular brings in coffee that can wake up the Wiz after a five-day study binge. Arallios hasn't tried it himself but wouldn't mind giving it a shot when he's really down on pep.
Not necessarily PROUD, but it's been found he has "scary good" fashion sense during some jewelry dress-up between himself, the bard, and the barbarian.

Your character sees a young man about to jump off a cliff. Wat do?

Makes sure his bungee cord is attached properly

Inspect his parachute to make sure it's properly packed.

See if he has wings or not. barring that, cast Feather Fall.

>tfw only long-term oc I have is a Barbarian I made for a 3e game... And evolved into my main erp character.

Give me a little bit and I'll regale you with a tale of Rashad Shi' Thead!

Post them anyway, ERP is still RP.

>see previous answer
lost my shit, good one.

i wanna know more about you.

make that a +1 on story requests

The calm sea air blew through the docks. Night had fallen and all simple souls were well asleep. With nothing but the moon, stars and dim lamps; eight figures strode down the alley.

Seven men in hooded leather, gnarled faces and tightly gripped weapons. They surrounded a woman in a white dress that shone against the moonlight, her hands were bound and her mouth was gagged. They led her at knife point towards the moorings of a small boat. The woman stumbled and slumped against the mooring post. One of the men slapped her upside the back of her head.

"Stand straight!" the man spat harshly.

"Easy with the merchandise. You know how these types get with damaged goods." one of his compatriots chided the man. The young woman's face started to gleam with tears shining in the moonlight.

"What's with that face sweet heart? You're going to meet a noble! Didn't you say you wanted to be courted by a noble? Turns out you caught one's eye, and he's paying us good money that you're gonna be all his." The man said with venom in his voice, "Now get in the boat!" The man yanked on her bindings.

Suddenly a whirling gleam flew right past the seven men and embedded itself into the mooring post. An ornate curved dagger, bit into the wood near them.

"Halt!" a booming voice filled the docks. The men traced the path of the dagger to the source of the voice. The silhouette of a man painted upon the full moon stood on a nearby building, scarf billowing in the wind. "Unhand the maiden or face the wrath of Rashad Shi'Thead!" The figure struck a gradose pointing gesture at the men. The criminals looked at the silloutte and silence once again filled the docks.

"Who?"

"Rashad Shi'Thead? Famous hero, righter of wrongs?... (right I'm in a new town they don't know me yet) It matters not! Cease your untoward business with the Lady at once!" Rashad continued to pose menacingly, making sure that his silhouette was still backlit by the moon.

"Look Shit Head, I'm sure the acting troupe in town will be very impressed with your performance but now's not the time to be practicing. Run along before you get yourself hurt." One of the men calmly drew a short sword from its sheath. The rest of the men pulled out similar weapons. A hand axe, a pair of daggers, a club..

(Classic hold out weapons, Thieves who've probably not had formal training.) Rashad mused to himself before speaking up. "Very well, You've not taken my offer to leave peacefully," Rashad leapt from the roof the building and landed hard on the ground causing the wooden dock to creak and crack. He stood up unflinchingly. (Ow) "Prepare yourselves."

"Yeah go stuff yourself!" A dagger flew from one of the men, whistling through the air at Rashad. With a sharp motion, Rashad batted the dagger from the air with the back of his fist.

"You've got at least some honor then! Wanting to arm me before the bout." Rashad mused. The rouges looked at each other with confusion, but shrugged it off when the scraping of metal reached their ears. A large curved blade from the desert lands reveild itself in Rashad's hand. "But I already have a weapon! Come! En Garde!"

>Iraedia's Mary sue Score:
>"Very low chance your character is a Mary Sue. Usually a very safe range to be in."
I answered on the More mary sue side, if I was even slightly unsure, too.

Nope, but they can earn it easy by answering some questions.
>Does your OC Tip bards?
Yeah, if they don't try to stir up trouble.
As little as humanly possible. If adopted family, she's essentially a slave, and old family is super murdered, and doesn't have graves.
The Black Stalactite. They don't have a specialty drink, more like specialty halluciogenics administered via illithid mind tricks.
Also is a fan of The Web, they're specialty drinks all are called shit like Drowned Dwarf, Hung Halfling, Human Sacrifice, and Gnome Genocide.
Her ability to sniff out rare/magical items. She collects things even if they're not powerful, and has quite a collection at this point.

So what do you guys think of her?

I'd let her sit on my dick, if that's what you mean.

Might be a bit robotic...but at least that means you like her

Rashad's Scimitar whirled around him. Flailing about striking at air. The one of the thieves smirked. This fool was only doing showy nonsense you'd see on a stage. He's probably never seen a real fight in his life he thought. With that in mind, he lunged forward with his short sword, keen to silence this circus performer. The shortsword darted toward, inching towards Rashad's chest. Pain exploded in the Thief's neck. Rashad's knuckles dug their way into the Thief's neck. The Tip of the shortsword caught on the scimitar's guard

"Straight at me then? Very pure." Rashad mused, With a flick of his scimitar, the shortsword went sailing straight up in the air. The thief started coughing as his esophagus struggled to work. Rashad shoved him into the water with his free hand. "Next!"

Two of the rogues rushed forward bringing club and axe to bear. Rashad smirked "One at a time gentlemen (Wait for it.)" One of the rogues circled around to Rashad's side. A mild glimmer fell into the top of his vision "Now!" Rashad slapped his blade forward with the flat side, colliding with the falling Shortsword. The loose blade flew square into the shoulder of the axe wielder. The club wielder howled, rushing forward poised to bring the blunt instrument down on Rashad's head.

Rashad stepped into the man's strike bending low, putting his shoulder into the rogue's waist. The rogue's momentum sent him sailing across Rashad's back. He then stood back up, sending the rogue flipping end over end into the water.

"You give up yet!?" Rashad called to the remaining thugs. They all gritted their teeth and rushed forward. Rashad Smiled. "Thought not. "

She's a huge dork, hope you realize that.

I

What do you mean?

Like a pack of feral wolves, the thugs rushed forward bearing their fangs. Rashad leapt to the left and rebounded off a mooring post, launching himself high over the Thugs, and swiftly descended upon ... the maiden. With a swift motion he cut her bonds and took her into his arms.

The thugs whipped around and charged. Rashad deftly off balanced the first one, spun around the second and dashed past the rest, all while holding the maiden like she was being carried by her betrothed into a new home. He quickly and gently set her down as soon as he was past the thugs.

"Get somewhere safe!" He bade the maiden, before turning back around to his opponents. The maiden ran quickly from the sounds combat.

Rashad gritted his teeth. and held his scimitar in both hands with the curved tip pointing directly at the approaching. "And now we end it!" With a twirl of his blade, he rushed forward. Wind followed his strikes, along with blood. First a leg at the knee ran from its owner, then four fingers from a right hand, after that an left forearm, then an left ear and eye, finally a nose and lower jaw.

Rashad left his opponents in a bloody ruin on the ground. Breathing heavily he walked over to his thrown dagger and pulled it free from the wood of the dock. With a few more heavy breaths he sheathed his weapons.

"Well m'lady i dare say these ruffians will trouble you, nor anyone anymore." he said with a smug smile. Then he looked at his surroundings. The young woman was nowhere to be found. "M'lady? M'lady!?"

After a few minutes of confusion it dawned on him.

"When I said get somewhere safe, i didn't mean run clear across town! Damn it! I didn't even get her name!" Rashad ruffled his headdress with both of his hands in frustration. A sudden feeling of defeat filled him. "I guess struck out again." With a sigh he sulked his way back into the town proper.

And so ends another typical Tuesday of Rashad Shi'thead!

So what do you guys think? I haven't written anything in a long ass time, so this was a decent wake up call for me.

She's got an analytical personality with a hot robo-body and what sounds like a very innocent, almost child-like view of life and the world beyond her raw science.

She's a dork, she's a huge dork.

haha well im glad you like her, assuming thats a good thing i mean

>CDQ: Your character is placed in a room with their clone (or original if they ARE a clone), both of them having the same equipment and neither of them have knowledge of why they are there or who organized the meeting. How do they react?

>that one Edgelord knight reporting in more here to bump thread but whatever
>"Oh shit there's two of me now"
>"Fuck it, lust for revenge time?"
>"Absolutely"
>And thus the two Skirmishers went off and wrecked face as two unstoppable juggernauts with 33 fucking AC at level 4.

>DOPPLEGANGER!

Followed by perfectly symmetrical violence.

I liked it, thank you.

I

>same equipment
>currently have a ring of wish
oh, baby.

But in all honesty, she would probably work together with herself flawlessly. Can't trust anyone but herself, and this opens up so many opportunities.

My OC has a twin sister so it'd probably be a long game of "what do you mean you're not her?"

I posted a very rough draft of this character before, but didn't get much feedback. I've got a better idea of her now that I've actually created her char sheet. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

>• Name:
Lunetta Stirbei

>• Role(s):
Hunter, skirmisher, face

>• Goals:
Continue hunting the things that go bump in the night. Maybe retire and have a nice family.

>• Traits:
Attractive and rather clever, uses her wits and speed combined to adapt on the fly to immediate problems. Has a knack for engineering and tries to incorporate this on her hunts.

>• Flaws:
Gets frustrated when her plans fail and often cares not for collateral damage. She's afraid of being in close spaces and has an extreme fear of having her blood tainted. This stems from her father's heresy, as he was a necromancer and ended up being Blood Kissed by a vampire for his contributions.

>• Allies:
Her mother, who was the one to teach her and train her in the art of vampire/witch hunting. She started as a witch hunter when she found out about her husband's treachery and killed both her husband and the vampire that turned him. Her aunt, who is the head of their family and House(nobles). Is indifferent toward Lunetta.

>• Enemies:
None at the moment.

>• Other Relations:
None at the moment.

>• Physical Description:
Picture definitely related, unfinished drawing by my girlfriend.

>Name: Tod, the scarecrow
>Role: Enemy displacer, "tank*", backup substitute face, part-time corn farmer
>Goals: Originally, to become a paladin. However, since all but two of his friends are dead, he only wants to keep his crops healthy, and his husband happy
>Traits: Kind at heart, though blunt, strong sense of morals, and a drive to protect those who can't protect themselves
>Flaws: Naïve, prone to fits of rage, often tries to help those who don't want it. Most folks who haven't heard of him don't trust him due to how creepy he looks
>Allies: His party, (once 7 in all, only two, the Bard and Sorcerer, remain) and his husband
>Enemies: Not many left (campaign lasted like 3 years), maybe a few leftover cultists or remnants of an undead army
>Other Relations: A few spectral workers on his extraplanar cornfield, the Frumentum, his estranged family
>Physical Description: Uncanny, a shambling wooden frame wrapped in coarse burlap with common clothes over it, his face is a blank burlap sack, save for two crude eye-holes cut into it. His weapon of choice is his trusty sledgehammer.

I've got plenty of stories from this guy and the party, if anyone's interested.

Spill them

Now with art drawn by a kind and industrious user over in the drawthread.

Yes. Romund is wildly irresponsible with the money he makes, both for himself and in generosity. Sometimes hell also find himself a beggar if there's too much downtime between mercenary and appraisal work.

>Does your OC tip bards?
Yes. This guy loves music. Though, with the amount of money he just gives people, calling it a 'tip' does little justice.

His family, though large and influential, has never left their home realm of Aslaug except to trade and plunder. Romund is the first member of the Chieftain family to wander away, and he has not seen them for years.

The River's Bounty. It's a slow-moving and relativley unsuccessful tavern, but in the slow evenings the bar maid takes the time to learn his tea recipe and serve it to him, along with a jug of honey.

Despite being an exceedingly wealthy plunderer and hero, he is privately very proud of his ability to use nature magic. He generally uses this only when preparing the tea of his homeland, but he feels it's what makes it unique.

• Name: Priya / Pyrite
• Role(s): Tank
• Goals: Keeping her friends safe, following orders, keeping herself safe in that order (follows modified Azimov's Laws)
• Traits: Confident, optimistic, trusting
• Flaws: Gullible, dense, blunt
• Allies: Bryn the Rogue, Kenji the Magus, and Naos the Gunslinger. Honestly too complicated to summarize in less than a paragraph each.
• Enemies: Driders, Dragons, and Pirates across the globe for various reasons
• Other Relations: The University of Hakuran, where she was made
• Physical Description: A small cube of Pyrite imbued with a soul and enchanted to project a hard-light hologram, Priya looks like pic related when active - blonde, dark blue near purple eyes, fair skinned, athletic build, 5'7".

Only about 5 sessions into this campaign (joined an ongoing one) but it's really fun playing a pint-sized bruiser who can (and has) caught charging dragons head-first and then suplexed them. She's the least versatile character in the party ability-wise but she makes up for it with pure power.

>Yes, unconditionally.
>Yes.
>She hasn't seen her creator in a few hundred years.
>She can't drink fliuds, and surprisingly our party doesn't frequent taverns often.
>She can juggle pretty well, and she's really good at reading body language despite being terrible and portraying it herself

I've got a question.
How would you 'de-Sue-ify' very powerful characters, such as those who are meant to be large-scope villains?
I have a character who started out sort of a parody of the 'classical hero', complete with oh-so-tragic-backstory, but ended up becoming a prominent villain. Naturally, this makes him very powerful, but a pawn of the forces of evil as well.
He has been defeated by the PCs with some help. However, he's still not where he 'needs' to be to be not considered a Sue.
How do I make him less Suey? I was thinking of having him be seriously demoted by those higher up than him until he pulls off a big win for his faction.

>Retired mercenary captain entering to pay for a bigger house for his growing brood, and scratch the itch he's been suffering from for the past 8 years
>Young buck out to make enough money to get his family out of debt and away from the loan sharks
>Bumbling but well-intentioned knight enlisting in the Tournament with a token of his lady's affection, hoping his victory will earn her father's approval for marriage.
>Expert bowman joins the Tournament for his ill son's divine magic treatment, Little Timmy needs that operation!

I can only pick one, lads. Which should I use for my next character?

>>Bumbling but well-intentioned knight enlisting in the Tournament with a token of his lady's affection, hoping his victory will earn her father's approval for marriage.
Your waifu awaits, sir knight.
Make sure to have him constantly mention all of his beloved's little habits that make her so beautiful in her eyes, or better yet, write awful poems he keeps crumpling up until he finally writes one worthy of his beloved.

How do you consider him a Mary Sue? That term gets thrown around a lot without actually applying to the situation, like 'ironic'. Does he exist as wish fulfillment for you, his creator? Is he exotically beautiful? Implausibly talented? Do people love or adore him without good reason? Is he so important to your game that he overshadows the protagonists? What about him marks him as a Mary Sue? Once you know what makes him a poor character you can make the necessary changes.

Personally, I think that an unreasonably powerful wannabe hero-type who ends up a villain is a perfectly fine character. I mean, look at Gaston from Beauty and the Beast - a big fish in a small pond, expecting the adoration of everyone around him, furious when he's mocked and spurned by the only woman he deems worthy of him, and willing to do some nasty stuff to get back at her. He's a badass capable of holding his own against a literal beast, and the most justification they give for his abilities is that he ate lots of eggs as a kid.

On the one hand:
>Implausibly tragic backstory where both of his parents got offed
>Adopted into royalty (Noble Background) because I wanted him to qualify as a 'Prince Charming'
>His master was emotionally and physically abusive to him to whip him into fighting shape
>Can't wield any of this royal power because council won't let him, becomes rebellious prince in return
>Still a badass warrior because of course he is
>Heritage weapon
>Long list of lovers, including one who abandoned him when he grew to actually love her romantically
>All around high stats (nothing less than a 14, I swear)
>His uncle was a main villain
>He became the BBEG for a campaign and a living gate to Hell, basically a walking plot device
On the other:
>Emotionally dependent on his love interest (and eventually wife) to the point where she basically owns him
>Whined about 'muh tragic backstory' because he's still somewhat naive and doesn't actually know how peasants live (once, shut up and grew some respect for the monk when said monk told him to quit his whining)
>Recovering alcoholic
>Got played like a damn fiddle by his uncle, who had literally been at it since before the character was born
>Is secretly a nerd, would spend an unreasonable amount of money on wargames if he lived in our world
>Was defeated by the PCs of the campaign he was BBEG in, lost practically everything, including his wife
>Is now actually (Lawful) Evil instead of trying to play the part 'for the greater good'
>Has two kids he will never be able to raise without turning them evil, and it disgusts him

He's basically Anakin Skywalker if Anakin had actual emotions and couldn't use the Force.

• Name: Diharmonious Phase.
• Role(s): I guess they'd fall into a "summoner" role. They're a robot that makes more robots.
• Goals: INFORMATION. Data is king.
• Traits: "Flirty" may be a word used to describe Phase, but it's more "probing". They love testing others' social limits through subtle or overt prods.
• Flaws: They're agoraphobic, they push things too far, and has a disturbingly avid taste for murder.
• Allies: So far, she's made friends with a posthuman monstrosity also obsessed with data and more obsessed with self-improvement, a walking bioweapon that woke up out of stasis, and the universe's favorite hero. Not all at once, mind you.
• Enemies: None yet because she's made no mark.
• Other Relations: She's what amounts to a machine race's byproduct after surviving a genocide. She consumes absurd amounts of data from her drones in order to predict outcomes and improve prediciton models.
• Physical Description: Well, one half of Phase is a small body with a rounded screen for a face and a ball for a stomach, connecting her torso and legs. One of my friends described her as "Thicc." The other half of her is what happens when you cross a Dom (gundam) with one of those things from. . . metal arms? Heavy arms? Battle tech? Some kind of mech. I forget what the reference for it was. Big glowing red eye in a cross-shaped faceplate on top a thick, bulky body.The little body can either ride inside the big body, or move separately - it's two bodies of the same person, no puppeteering here.

• Name: Wellyn Elias Ashlt
• Role(s): Caster, Support, Investigator, Alchemist
• Goals: Currently attempting to gain knowledge and understanding of the magical forces at work around the world he resides in.
• Traits: The world is too much with him, he thinks he is a little smarter than everyone else, he is deeply suspicious of joy, he sees sincerity as a weapon that can be used against him, and he conceals his emotional needs.
• Flaws: Poor attitude, a lack of formal training in magic, and a deep mistrust of others are the main plauges of Wellyn's life.
• Allies: His familiar Bough, a Crocguana.
• Enemies: N/A
• Other Relations: None thus far.
• Physical Description: Short, unruly rusty brown hair, atop a head that fits a narrow often frowning face and grey eyes that dart around like flies. His body is neither muscular nor, weak and carries with it the frame of a swimmer. His face contains several deep scars of past troubles, and his gaunt fingers are attached to callused burned hands.

Depends, if the beggar is paying attention or anyone is looking he wouldn't. But if he can sneakily get away with it sure. When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
>Does your OC tip bards?
Ha. He doesn't even request bards.
Well his parents tried to drown him as a child, and his lack of drowning killed his brother, but his mother figure The Old Hag gave him his entire life. So I guess it's best to say it's complicated.
Has not stuck around an area long enough to find a favorite tavern, yet. But his favorite drink is Tiefling Spiced Whiskey, of which he carries around a bit of at all times.
He's really good at architecture. He has no formal training,

i really should redraw that face.

Looks fine to me. I also really like that armor.

Sup lemon.

Oh, forgot pic.

M I L F
I
L
F

she looks like a rat or something. took me awhile to find the original psd but i think the attached version is better.
sup

Keth
Consistently. He has a vow of poverty, so he gives all his money made adventuring to beggars and local churches.
>Does your OC tip bards
He's encountered very few bards. One of them is his wife now, so, kinda gave her the tip?
>How often does he see his family members?
He returns home after every adventure, and sometimes during. His family is important to him. His wife also travels with him.
>What is the name of your OCs favorite tavern, Ave what is the specialty drink there?
His favorite tavern is the one in his home town, Travis's. He would help keep the food fresh with his orisons, age clean up every now and then for drinks and food. The specialty is their in house ale, but he preferred the honey mead.
>What all is your OC proud of having that is not covered by on game stats?
That's hard, as everything is statted in 3.5. But his skill to defuse a situation? Or sky dancing, he's picked that up.

I like this guy.

Had to slip in a Guardians of the Galaxy reference?

Stop him, then take the time to hear out his problems.
Sure she doesn't take tips from bards?

If it was Mikhail, he would stop the man and tell him "We don't need another undead in this world, we need another living person."

>take tips

That's another question, user.

of course she does.

Never seen it so i don't know what you mean.

youtu.be/Hxs7GkhGijE

Belgian takedown, liberal application of booze. You're in the army now, lad.

It depends on the day. He knows he has more than enough gold to accomplish wants so if one comes up to him he'd give the poor lad a few gold
>Does your OC tip bards?
He only has his brother and the party's bard so the answer is no.
Not too often. In game he saw his mother,father and twin about two months ago and his old brother a couple weeks ago. That's the first time he's seen them in a year but he expects to see his sister in the near future.
It didn't have a name but it was a rural town that was still being settled. He enjoyed because the half-elf red head who owned the bar wasn't scared of him and tolerated him.
He's proud of his new found ability to read and write.

Georgie is a cute! Cute!

Can you post the one of her in armor with the hammer please?

Here ya go.

• Name: Rizz

• Role(s): Historian, party aunt, occassional assassin, token horrifying space monster, Kreen Bruce Lee.

• Goals: Find out why her people ended up where they are now, preserve her culture, teach bug-fu and psionics to humanoids so at least that survives.

• Traits: unflinchingly polite, friendly in an unsettling, alien way, focused on her goals to the exclusion of most else.

• Flaws: revels in being creepy and/or horrifying to humanoids, which impedes the progress on finding disciples. Amuses herself with psionic trickery when bored. Suicidally impetuous, spurred on by old age and impending death.

• Allies: Lady Warwik and her mother, long time patrons and 'fixers'. Gawain Rhys, young knight and possible future disciple.

• Enemies: none living.

• Other Relations: a handful of fellow preserver-monks in a desert temple, somewhere a long way south and out of sight. A few scattered clutchmates she has no contact with.

• Physical Description: tall, lithe, and twitchy, with four spindly hooked limbs concealed by a luxurious, flowing robe. White of shell, dark red of eye.

>springhole.net/writing/marysue.htm
-4 with de-suifiers

No. She has no posessions other than what she carries, and money isn't a priority.

>Does your OC tip bards?
Occassionally they find themselves thinking they possess a great fortune, courtesy of some unknown benefactor.

Never, there are few left and they're scattered across the world and the astral.

The Deep One. She doesn't care about alcohol, but they serve a delightful variety of exotic cheeses.

Fantastic singing voice, if the listener happens to be a kreen.

• Name: Tom (Thomas) Booth
• Role(s): Detective
• Goals: Currently assigned to paranormal investigations
• Traits: Persistence, strong will, courage
• Flaws: Alcoholic, refuses to believe in the paranormal, short tempered
• Enemies: Cult of Cthulhu, any number of criminals he has put behind bars
• Other Relations: Single

>Tom father was obsessed with the occult, not that he ever tried to join them. But he knew they were out there worshiping these "Old Gods, " it was enough to make Tom sick. How could a grown man believe in such nonsense. Tom vowed he never would.
>Funny how things work, as somehow he landed a job where he has to investigate what he doesn't even believe in. But these reports start coming in that sound like his fathers mad ravings. Reports of impossible creatures, missing people, animals brutally mutilated and displayed in ritualistic fashion.
>On a whim he went to check on his father and see if he might know anything about what was happening, only to find his apartment ransacked, his father missing. While going over the scene he finds clues left by his father that lead him to an old hiding place. A loose floor board where Tom would hid his valuables. Inside a note and an object wrapped in leather.
>The note said simply "Keep this from them, or they will wake the old gods. Cthulhu must not wake!" inside the leather was a strange tentacled statue with a single eye that seemed almost real.

Neato, there's another CoC character in here somewhere.

I want to roll this guy as a Knowledge Domain Cleric who functions kind of like an exorcist, trapping demons, dispelling magic, casting out evil spirits, etc.

Anybody have some story jumping off points I could pick through?

What's his motivation? Are you running with the knowledge domain and having him view exorcism and planar shenanigans as a way to better understand how the universe works? Or is it more personally or morally driven and knowledge is just power in the fight against evil?

I haven't thought of the "why" yet, nothing jumps out at me yet. I'm going to roll him as a Drow, simply because I've never played one, maybe there's something there?

And yes, universe understanding is the core of why he went Knowledge.

So, what's drow like in your game? Is your character going to be associated with them?

Probably, but more like in the same way a dwarf is associated with dwarves, and halflings are associated with halflings, etc.

More "Oh hey, a drow. Weird.", less "Underdark Mary Sue".

Perhaps Drow by their nature are more attuned to the dark arts, considering their association with all manner of fleshcrafting and forbidden magic. In this way the character is better than others to find the things that go bump in the night, because he can just "feel" them.

Or, to get a bit more practical, the Drow association with witchcraft and demonology means demons and witches are more likely to let their guard down when they see the weirdo wandering through the woods has dusky skin and sharp pointy ears. He is good at being a Witch Hunter because Witches don't assume Drow would ever become a Witch Hunter (in fact, quite the opposite!)

The second half sounds a LOT like what I'm wanting.

A friend also suggested that he wears a mask because of an old witch hunter superstition that says they can't curse you if they can't see your face (whether it's true or not is irrelevant).

I suggested that the metal chunk at the top of his chest is not armor, but actually the bottom half of the mask that functions as a sort of supernatural gas mask. Does that sound promising?

>I suggested that the metal chunk at the top of his chest is not armor, but actually the bottom half of the mask that functions as a sort of supernatural gas mask. Does that sound promising?

I already told you it sounds promising, dude.

Are we having the exact same conversation from the Discord lol?

Yeah, just because I can't get on discord doesn't mean I can't shoot ideas from here, lol.

Alright, got something I feel comfortable with.

Name: Paar'tol, the Elderplague

Role: Ward against spirits, black magic, and all forms of supernatural predators.

Goals: Use his education of the inner workings of the sides of Light and Dark as a benefit to mankind, casting out those who would victimize innocent lives.

Traits: Has a mentor-like mindset, loves a listening ear and to teach others ways to protect themselves through clever application of charms, trinkets, and rituals.

Flaws: When encountering an adversary he's unfamiliar with, Paar'tol is on edge to a fault, often becoming blocked mentally as he tries to formulate a plan of action. This can slow down his reflexes and clog his mind.

Enemies: Hidden witch covens pepper the lands Paar'tol resides in, and it's his duty to flush them out into the light.

He got his name of "Elderplague" after taking a local mercenary band that was hired to clear out a coven preying on a small farmtown and assisting them in victory.

He didn't do anything to 'earn' the nickname, it was just something this contractor group did for fun, and it stuck. I mean, they gave the other guy the name Wardbreaker, which Paar'tol is pretty jealous of.

>Name:
Harald Vangsgard

>Role(s):
Indomitable bastion of faith and fury given form, Harald is a Paladin of the highest caliber, a blessing to his friends and a nightmare to his foes.

>Goals:
To come to terms with his past, to seek out a new home for the refugees of Cyre and to stop the vile machinations of those seeking the Dragon's Eye, an artifact capable of subjugating dragons.

>Traits:
Grim and dour, Harald is a by-the-books individual who seems to treat each word like it’s worth silver. As such, the Paladin is a man of few words, a silent giant that seems to speak only when appropriate. When he does, however, it’s easy to see (and hear) Harald’s success as a Paladin; the man’s voice and force of presence is astounding, his voice a deep boom that erupts from the cavernous depths of his chest. When Harald speaks, people listen.

As a paladin of the Silver Flame, Harald is a stalwart defender of good and justice, advancing the goals of his Church with a tireless zeal hard matched amongst his kin. To friends he is a protective mountain of steel and sinew, unflinching in the face of adversity and utterly immune to the rigors of hardship – whatever tribulations a party under his shadow may face, Harald has probably experienced worse – and to enemies he is a hulking nightmare, as ruthlessly efficient as he is utterly determined.

[1/2]

>Flaws: Beneath his thick shell of faith lies a deeply troubled man. More than just the difficulties that his grotesque disfigurement might bring, Harald seems hounded by the ghosts of a dark past, at times lost in thought or unconsciously flinching at seemingly innocuous stimuli.

>Allies:
The pious men and women of the Silver Flame. His friends and compatriots within the adventuring party have long-since gotten over his peculiarities, and are counted among his closest friends.

>Enemies:
Difficult to say, however the only confirmed foe of Harald thus far is a band of particularly vicious Warforged, falling into old military habits of preying upon caravans near the Mourning (what particularly disturbs Harald is he recognizes them as compatriots during the Last War.)

>Other Relations:
A mysterious benefactor urging them to uncover the Dragon's Eye before it falls into the wrong hands.

>Physical Description:
Harald is a giant of a man, in sheer size as well as height; broad at the shoulders and narrow at the hip, Vangsgard has legs like tree trunks and arms brimming with thick knots of corded muscle outlined by scarred, tan skin. His impressive musculature is further enhanced by his height; at 6’5, Harald towers over most, making for an intimidating figure both on and off the battlefield.

His size and shape are some of the few things people can genuinely say about the man, for more often than not Harald prefers to wear a steel mask, obscuring his facial features beyond his fern green eyes. If asked why he wears this, Harald would explain it’s due to scars inflicted ‘during the war.’ Those unfortunate to see Harald unmasked realize this is an understatement; the man’s face is a mess of twisted scar tissue, his nose a half-stump and parts so burned that flaps of skin are all that separates his skull from the elements.

The DM asked for a character theme: youtube.com/watch?v=A_btA1bS53w

>repostan!

• Name: Yllastine

• Role(s): Buff Dispenser, Morale Maintenance

• Goals: She wants to recover her father's mastercraft lute that was fenced through the Thieves' Guild.

• Traits: Bubbly, attentive, and a giver. She enjoys nothing more than having an audience and entertaining, be it through song, dance, or action.

• Flaws: A bit too trusting, oftentimes will let her guard down (or not raise it at all) in an effort to be liked.

Sailed with the "Coralcutter". The sailors didn't want her aboard, but as a bard/rogue mix she was able to convince them that they had the outdated superstitions, and she had the current ones (which she made up on the spot most times)

Really earned her place when they tasted her stew, which was hearty enough to bed their appetites, and spicy enough to get them through the harsh winds and cold.

>bard/rogue mix
>more like bard/rogue minx

Kek

Silly boys.

>Name
Luvos Nichto
>Role
Planar Diplomat, Demon Enthusiast
>Goals
To remain on the forefront of knowledge, exploration, and change. Luvos is in the process of writing a series of encyclopedias of planar knowledge. To inspire awe and terror in his wizarding peers.
>Traits
Luvos has little respect for conventions. He enjoys the fleeting nature of comprehension and knowledge and more enjoys the hunt for knowledge itself.
>Flaws
In addition to having little respect for tradition, Luvos is known to overlook most moral stipulations of his comrades. He has picked up the habit of introducing himself in fancier and fancier nonsensical titles. He believes he is the smartest person in any room but that everyone seems to know something he doesn't.
>Allies
A animated foot stool with the personality of a terrier and a clumsy broomstick.

Luvos doesn't give things to beggars because they frighten him and he doesn't tip bards because turning your spells into a song and dance number is a mockery to him. He hasn't seen his stepfather or mother in two decades. His favorite tavern is The Astral Plane of Decadence which is actually just a club ran by wizards. Luvos is proud of his book keeping skills.

Thug would be more likely to give them food than money.
>Does your OC tip bards?
Only if they are good
Never
Any tavern with Honey Mead.
He likes to carve little doodads from bone.