BattleTech General

/btg/ is dead, long live /btg/!

Clanner Edition: No freebirth Spheroids allowed

Old Thread: ===================================
TtS: Promise Land
mediafire.com/download/58qc4n2owy2gsb7/E-CAT35SN206_BattleTech_Touring_the_Stars_Promised_Land.pdf

First Succession War
mediafire.com/download/dp9iiecoaz4c29k/E-CAT35235_BattleTech First Succession War.pdf

TtS: Brownsville
mega.nz/#!7xMngZBR!d0Ayoy_8rDrtsXZ7-M6wGPrmDq8O8F5_0d4G8dkLxzM
===================================

>/btg/ does a TRO:
builtforwar.blog(not spam)spot.com/

>How do I do this Against the Bot thing?
pastebin.com/pE2f7TR5

>Overview of the major factions?
bg.battletech.com/universe/great-houses/
bg.battletech.com/universe/the-clans/
bg.battletech.com/universe/other-powers/

>How do I find out what BattleMechs a faction has?
masterunitlist.info/

>Map of /btg/ players (WIP):
zeemaps.com/map?group=1116217&add=1

>BattleTech Introductory Info and PDFs
bg.battletech.com/?page_id=400

>Rookie guides
pastebin.com/HZvGKuGx

>Sarna.net - BattleTech Wiki
sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page

>Megamek - computer version of BattleTech. Play with AI or other players
megamek.info/

Unit Designing Softwares
>SSW Mech Designer
solarisskunkwerks.com/
>MegaMek Lab
megameklab.sourceforge.net/

>BattleTech IRC
#battletech on irc.rizon.net

>PDF Folders
mediafire.com/folder/9q792hobnbpw3/Battletech
mediafire.com/folder/sdckg6j645z4j/Battletech

I declare a trial of possession for Butte Hold. With what forces will you defend it, /btg/?

So how did everyone go about rebuilding between the 3039 conflict and the Clan Invasion?

Also, is there any figure on the number of Mechs that were granted to the Combine by ComStar?

Pure speculation here but I always assumed roughly 12 regiments worth, since the the DCMS would be hardpressed after the 4th War to rebuild so many of its own regular formations *and* add a dozen more.

Not saying all the material went to the Ghosts, but the equivalency was injected into their supply pool.

This Based Princess

I bid me, holding your Kahn's butte

>since the the DCMS would be hardpressed after the 4th War to rebuild so many of its own regular formations *and* add a dozen more.

I thought they rebuilt a lot of their devastated Mech Regiments with cheap and easy to produce designs like the Wolf Traps, Dragons and Hatamoto-Chi?

So does anyone here play MWO? Is it worth getting into?

You know, I think you're right. Comparing the 3025 DCMS and 3039 DCMS it's grown by around 25 regiments.

I play it a bit on-and-off.

It's fun to run around and do some fighting in, especially if you run with a couple of other players who know what they're doing.
No real pay2win either, just pay2notGrind. But the grind is real and balance (and common sense) can be a bit of an issue.
Also, they somehow managed to make the game look worse over the years.

The guys in /gerg/ on Veeky Forums are decent folk to roll around with and their general also has a bunch of tutorials etc, since MWO requires some more thought than your typical shooter.

>it's grown by around 25 regiments

Uncle Chandy must have made a fortune then.

Also this is making me want to read Heir to the Dragon.

That's actually one of the BT books I've wanted to read and haven't.

>I declare a trial of possession for Butte Hold. With what forces will you defend it, /btg/?
It's Redjack's, so.. poisoned ale and diseased whores?

Yeah, that's also where a lot of the "Panther Company" stuff comes from. They were busy pumping a lot of resources into getting the Catapult line working during the war, too, and had it online within a year or two. There were also a bunch of experiments with things like the Gaussback and the sidegraded Trebuchets that were intended to give them cheaper, more expendable units for the rank and file while they shuffled things like Thugs/Hatamotos and Grand Dragons to the aces.

It's a good book, definitely worth a read.

Alright thanks, I'll check out some twitch videos first and take a look at /gerg/.

Wolf cucked the sphere. Alaric did! He took a Wolf army to Terra. There was NO ONE left to cuck, da wimmiz wuz his.

So I was googling some BT and found this gem from a forum in 1996

>I would have said the same thing in 3049 when the Clans Attacked. Hell i would have even said it up until Hanse Davion died. But with the new Marik-Liao Alliance, we still dont know to what ends Sun-Tzu will take against the FC.
>But if Victor S-D gets the Lyran half of his realm back. Which he will for it has been forshadowed in Malcious Intent. Then there goes the end of Liao Space :)

>And I say good riddance.

Now that I think about it, maybe the Free World's League had something to do with the Combine crash re-armament.

Weren't they selling the Combine arms in the years before 3039?

Theoretically, but their jumpships would have to cross the FedCom-occupied Terran Corridor plus the FWLM was up to its neck dealing with the Andurien secession while simaltaneously trying to keep enough force on its borders to fight off FedCom raids.

I'm not saying "never" but it seems unlikely.

It was detailed as a brand new trade deal in House Marik. A couple years later the 4th War started. So probably nothing happened.

Yeah, the war likely put paid to it. Janos was too busy sending relief shipments to Sian.

subject to change

kinda cringy with the fan-canon and RL references. what is this for?

I keep hearing
>Normal person in the Fed Suns is an illiterate serf
Can anyone actually provide a source on that?
I've never seen it in a sourcebook.

MW1e autist is that you?

>FedSuns occupies the most thinly populate slice of space
Since when? That's the Draconis Rift.

Steiner's government is Northern European, not British.

>Can anyone actually provide a source on that?
>I've never seen it in a sourcebook.
I've seen plenty of sources saying that the FS *Outback* is home to horrifically poor educational standards and widespread illiteracy, but never the suns as a whole

True, but this is pretty much the "outback", so it's the vast majority of the Suns anyway.

Plus there's a vested interest in other fans making the Suns players feel like shit. Taurians, Dracfags, Elsies, Cappies, and some Leaguers all feel better about themselves the worse off the Suns are.

Hey motherfuckers, guess what day it is?

Hint: It's glorious

CUE THE PARADE! LET NO TOASTER GO UNFUCKED THIS GRAND DAY! GIVE THANKS TO BLAKE AND NUKES TO WOLVES!

To Tacoma with thee, enjoy the aroma!

Don't forget the worlds the taurians were occupying (since your map is 3075), because those were also pretty damn outback, too

And thence shall we parade unto the Periphery looking for some good society, if you catch our drift.

what are you memeing about, /btg/?

Blake eleison, faithful!

Three urbanmechs stacking on top of one another to join an Assault lance.

Post Blakists and Blakist accessories!

...aren't comics supposed to be funny? Or at least witty and clever?

Blakefags are at it again, but with autism instead of nukes

Sixth of June.

AKA the Toyamest Toyamas in the WoB

Everything connected to battletech is terrible, and there's no hope of improvement for the writing, franchise, or fanbase. It will be terrible until it dies at last a tiny, gasping death as the tabletop world moves on, uncaring and unconcerned at the protracted demise of a game that was never good in the first place.

Holy shit that's retarded. They whip 25 regiments out over 12 years for the War of 3039, then pull 32 regiments out of nowhere over the 10 years between that and the Clan Invasion to cover their losses in the War of 3039 and 20-Year Update stuff at a rate of almost 3 per year, and then can't replace the 5 regiments they lost to the Clans and the what was it, 2 regiments (IIRC- Otomo and another regiment) they lose to Black Dragon bullshittery with another 16 vanishing into the ether for FM: DC.

Numbers by FASA and CGL. Not even once.

It's for a newbie's guide to BattleTech, and anything cringey is from the actual books. I'm starting with the '80s stuff and then adding or correcting as I work my way through newer material.

If-it-isn't-new-it-isn't-canon user, is that you?!

It's one of two extremes, not the norm - see pic related (although the norm is still pretty bad). If you'd rather have a pageref from the OLDER book, that might take me a day or two since I didn't annotate anything.

If you have a better word for the pie-shaped regions occupied by each Successor State, I'm open to suggestions.

Honestly, using IRL references for the "gist" of something is an extremely good idea for a newbie primer. it saves tremendous amounts of time and effort by leveraging the newbie's pre-existing knowledge.

That said, a general disclaimer (at the *top*) that points out that "IRL references are made for brevity and are approximate at best" wouldn't be out of line. Just to make sure that the aforementioned newbies don't get the wrong idea that these factions are *only* limited to "IRL references...IN SPAAAACE!"

>I'm starting with the '80s stuff and then adding or correcting as I work my way through newer material.
Why don't you start from the house handbooks and periphery 1e, rather than MW1e, which was effectively superseded by those books?

>If you have a better word for the pie-shaped regions occupied by each Successor State, I'm open to suggestions.
Something not made-up would be a good start. There are already plenty of fine descriptions of the Successor States.

Do you have a particular one in mind? The idea is to pick whichever government has the best or most parallels.

>and anything cringey is from the actual books

Half of it looks like you made it up yourself and when someone else pointed out you were wrong all you say was that they should suggest a better-worded option.

Since it's from the books, show me where the Suns occupy the most thinly populated slice of known space.

Also you misspelled "compulsory".

>House Davion has earned a reputation as the fairest and most just of the Successor Houses...
[citation needed]
I'm a Davion player and this is news to me. Or is this fan-canon you're inserting to guide players?

How about dispensing with real life references and actually describing the government type?

>I'm a Davion player and this is news to me

There's words to this effect in the old Merc Handbooks; Davions are the most fair and just (ie, they don't pull the company store trick very often)...TO MERCS. And in comparison to the other Houses, that's generally an accurate statement.

But it's only in relation to merc relations, not "in general." Context does matter. But that's almost certainly where it's coming from.

Just use the actual fluff. It says everything that needs saying.

I'm too used to people yelling "remember the 100million Hanse killed" to remember anyone considering House Davion fair and just lol

What book is that from?

I thought it was "100 billion", which is why Hanse Davion - and by extension everyone who likes the faction - is objectively worse than Stefan Amaris and Hitler combined.

You're not saying the Capellan and Taurian fans I talked to about this lied to me, right?

All the people who ever died were personally killed by Hanse Davion. Even Jesus. Especially Jesus.

Nothing canon. It doesn't mention how the Davions keep their citizens under-educated, under-paid, and under-fed so they can maintain their imperialist war machine against their peace-loving neighbors and the Draconis Combine.

Silly Laowai, why would I lie?

Well, some of those IRL references *are* explicit from the books, but yeah, fair point. I'll work something up.

It was helpful to have a short overview of each House before tackling each one in depth. Plus, it has stuff on mercs and merchants that the other books don't really address.

I'm looking for a word which delineates a region of space, not a political entity.

Granpa, stop talking to the foreign devils and get back in the car.

>I'm looking for a word which delineates a region of space, not a political entity.
That's dumb. Just call it the largest successor state. Or if you have to call it a slice, call it the largest slice of space residing under one banner. Thinly populated? Really where the fuck does that even come from? The Suns have more people than the Capellans and Lyrans combined.

>The Suns have more people than the Capellans and Lyrans combined.

Only if you consider Fedrats "people."

>Taurian fans I talked to about this lied to me, right?
I don't think I've ever seen a taurian fan, even the most tardcore pull out the "muh 100 million 4th sw" shit. That seems an exclusively cappie thing

How do hand held melee weapons work?

You know, I find a lot of complaints against CGL pretty petty, but honestly, what the fuck is up with the Battleshop? How does a company run such an obviously incompetent/unethical sales service? Person after person keeps posting about never getting any product and never getting hold of anyone. I got stuff from them long ago, but haven't ordered in years, and like hell if I'd ever order from them now. Is this Porchbux II: The New Extension?

He might be assuming Taurians care about the 4th War, which is a common mistake. Taurians know Operation Rat was really just a fake-out for an imminent invasion of the Concordat that was prevented only by the TDF's reputation and nukes.

Can you elaborate? I've never dealt with the Battleshop.

Well, as I said, I've personally had no trouble, but that was a long time ago. But people have been posting a ton in the past year or so on the OF about not getting their pre-orders, and then their mails going unanswered no matter who and how many they contact.

As of the latest errata just released, the only melee weapons that can be made into handhelds are the ones that have set stats that don't very according to weight, which is mostly things like chainsaws and mining drills and such, but also includes flails, chain whips, and vibroblades, but specifically not shields or spikes.

No restrictions on the weapon functionality any more either, but like all handhelds it requires using both hands, and the handheld can only contain the one melee weapon.

Let's stop factionposting and start posting mechs. How about a round of post-one-review-one?
we haven't done that in a while

Would a Grand Titan be reasonable to find in an AFFC regiment in the late 3050s? Or were they reserved for the Knights like Albatrosses?

I will post a Timber Wolf because it is my favorite 'Mech.

Nice Mad Cat.

Do hand held require their own heatsinks?

It's an IS general design, so it'd be fine in the later 50s.

Yes.

I guess I'll start. Part of a series of Thunderbolt refits of 3025 mechs.

The Timber Wolf is a nice all around mech with a variant for everyone.

I did order from them in the past but I had to wait over four months for delivery and had to e-mail them every week even to get that.

That was about two years ago.

So to me it sounds like it was shit and has gotten progressively worse.

And that was on top of BattleCorps failing to provide anything like the fiction output it was supposed to on the nearly $100 I dropped on an annual membership.

Then there's the video from GenCon last year where Coleman straight-up says the shop is fucked because they didn't know what they were getting into and don't know how to fix it. Judging by posts on the OF it's gotten a lot worse since then.

TL; DR you will have by far a better experience as a customer buying from literally anyone else.

Personally I make it a point to pirate everything BT-related that CGL releases. Not because I want their shitty TTS stuff or anything else, but because however petty it might be it's still the only way I can get back at them for the way they carry on as a company.

But without your money as a consumer, how are we supposed to pay to fix things? That's the downside of piracy - you pirate things and it costs us the sales we need to generate the revenue to fix the problems. Which means that when the problems continue, you have only yourself to blame. Pirate.

Allrighty then

You had money. Then you let Coleman steal most of it. Then you let Coleman stay on as one of the heads of the company. Then you started producing poorly laid-out, badly fact-checked product and degenerated into useless micro-content like Touring the Stars that the writers obviously have a hard-on for but which few if any fans want, put advancing the plotline on hold, and caved in to the demands for more Succession War content on the OF.

So no, assuming you really are with CGL, the problem isn't mine. I tried supporting you but only got shittier service and shitty products out of the deal, before eventually you started putting out shit nobody wanted any way. Surprise surprise, if you treat your customers like shit, they stop buying your stuff.

You only have yourself to blame. Idiot.

Seriously can't tell if this is meant to be a troll post or an actual CGL one though.

I like it.
Got a solid armament, though I'm not so sure about only twelve shots for the big gun. Overall looks like it really wants to get in close and brawl, which it looks like it could do pretty well.
Now, here's a Cestus

It's a Cestus -6Y without an XLFE. It's okay I guess, but not really original.

BEHOLD MUH ROBUT

Speaking of original . Its a silly design, but it'd be fun to let loose on a lance of mediums and pretend to be Jason Voorhees

Got your horror movie right here fampai.

Fuckin' reposted to fix my post and i fucked up the picture

>It's a Cestus -6Y without an XLFE. It's okay I guess, but not really original.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was going for.
It's the only mech I had on my phone, but I'll dig through the archives and see if I can find something of mine that's more interesting

Well if that's what you were going for, go nuts. Though I think the XL gives it a bit of charm, since the engine is added just so it can have a huge fuckoff gun.

Anyway, have the ultimate in Taurian engineering,

DARKEST OF AGES/10
It could kill elementals decently well?
It looks like a good underoptimized fluff machine. Just dump the second ton of streak ammo and give it CASE, because building mechs without CASE is just pure why

Anyways, I found this complete asshole of a grasshopper

I did this one ages ago for the "make a Waco-Beemer" challenge. Still like it, even with how much of a turd the Blazer is.

>I'm not so sure about only twelve shots for the big gun.
Well, the AC/5 to Tbolt-10+ammo swap is pure upgrade on almost every design that can take it. Even the ones that push their heat to the ragged edge (looking at you, Rifleman) can usually afford to drop a little ammo for better heat management. For some things, like the Shadow Hawk, dropping the AC and shitter LRM for a Tbolt is really nice. Too bad the system is from the late CI in Solaris instead of a desperation measure from the late Succession Wars.

>Too bad the system is from the late CI in Solaris instead of a desperation measure from the late Succession Wars.
In-fucking-deed.
It's actually pretty well balanced for the succession wars era, too.

>Personally I make it a point to pirate everything BT-related that CGL releases. Not because I want their shitty TTS stuff or anything else, but because however petty it might be it's still the only way I can get back at them for the way they carry on as a company.

Same. I refuse to give them a dime.

>b-but we can't get better without money

Too bad assholes, you burned that bridge years ago. Ditch sleazeweasel Coleman and cuckboi Randall and I *might* consider paying for something. Unfortunately, since those two have had their hands firmly around the neck of the franchise for decades now, it's probably never gonna happen.

I remember doing one as an experiment

Not shown
>Armoured actuators
>Armoured life support
>Armoured sensors
>Armoured engine
>Armoured Gyro

CGL doesn't actually post here, since they can't erase threads to hide their fuckups. They just bitch about us elsewhere.

Not shown

>things the rules for Superheavies prohibit, see p. 255 of FM:3145

OK.