British Superhero Regulation

I'm running a UK-based superhero RPG, and I'd like a snappy name for the organisation that oversees superheroes and powers.

Ideally it would be "The Ministry of ..." , and would have a stupid acronym.
My best so far is 'the Ministry for Extra Normal Technology and Activities', or MENTA.
Suggestions please.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ministerial_government_department
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Posting photos of lycra-clad fools in 'original' costumes.

Her Majesty's Abnormal Service

They call them the H-MANS

MORSE - Military Office for the Regulation of Superpowered Entities
?

British Superhero thread?

>snappy name for the organisation that oversees superheroes and powers.

Centre for Unusual Capabilities & Characteristics

SARC: Superpowered Activities Regulation Commission

( there's some British government departments here that I'm trying to work from:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ministerial_government_department )

Like Ofcom, or Ofsted you need an "Office" for this:
Office for Heroic Unusual Characteristics and Criteria?

>OfHucc

Why not change one word and literally just make fun of MENSA? Seems fittingly English.

Why not follow the theme of things like the Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare? Something weird and thematic rather than just an acronym.

Ofuc:Office of Unusual Capabilities ?

>Ideally it would be "The Ministry of ..." , and would have a stupid acronym.
Ministry of Unusually Multi-Masterful Youngsters (M.U.M.M.Y.)

Now combine this with the fact that their currency is the GBP (Good Boy Points).

I use Department of Parahuman Affairs for my Murica weaver dice campaign

>weird and thematic rather than just an acronym

It's a modern-day teen-heroes game, and I'd like the government to appear quite over-regulated and distant. Private superhero groups and leagues might have glamorous names.

The Supernatural Personnel Utilization Department.

If anyone was curious, I'm going to try running 'Masks', the new powered by the apocalypse teen-hero game.

It'll be interesting because like Monsterhearts it's focused on emotional responses.
I'm looking forward to trying the no hit-point combat rules: because in comics a super can get hit by a car and shrug it off until at some point in the narrative he doesn't, all super-combat 'damaging hits' inflict emotional status on people, so they then start to retreat, call for help, lash out, recklessly endanger others etc.

Office for the Congruent Organisation and Unified Regulation of Superpowered Entities (OfCourse)

In Mutants and Masterminds it's simply "The Ministry of Powers." Mostly because Powers are the accepted name for Supers in the U.K.

HMSS
Her Majesty's Superhuman Service

SPUD?
I guess that could be the Irish Sub-Division.

Ministry for Oversight, Regulation, Detainment and Restraint of Enhanced Demihumans.

Mordred

Centre for Utilization of Characteristics and Knowledge

On second thoughts, switch 'Restraint' for 'Restriction'.

Ministry of the Unidentified and Metanormal
Mum's the word.

>running something that is as abysmal as Monster Hearts

I can't tell if you're retarded or insane. Masks is literally the running joke of horrible, monstrous idiocy of modern RPGs here on Veeky Forums

PISCES

Thanks for the ideas, keep them coming.

So far I'm thinking that
- Everyone reports to OfCourse: Office for the Consistent Organisation and Unified Regulation of Superpowered Entities

- Those that choose to work with the government are currently with the quite easygoing SPUD: the Supernatural Persons Utilisation Department

- If a campaign gets going, in the background there's a political movement to force all supers to either work for the government or be hunted down, which would be MORDRED: Ministry for Oversight, Regulation, Detainment and Restriction of Enhanced Demihumans.

>I don't like thing!
Yawn.

I'd say, first, look up how the UK various governmental agencies are named. It's not going to be a ministry, but rather an executive agency falling under a ministry or a ministerial department, probably Home Office. Then, looking at the organization forming this department, you check to see if there's an uniform naming process.

Me, rather than demihuman/parahuman/superpowers agency, I'd go for something a bit more fudged, such as Civilian Special Service Agency.

Adding: that's basically how I named the French equivalent of this agency in my planned superhero game. Aping off the intelligence agency "Direction générale de la Sécurité extérieure" and naming it "Direction général du service civil", which gives it a nice official sounding name and acronym.

Ministry of Ripping Off The Worst Marvel Franchise.

Also known as cocksuckers united.

I've played in a couple of short Monsterhearts campaigns with the same group I'm running Masks with, and we've managed to avoid a lot of the bullshit that it is famous for. There's repeatedly been some teenage melodrama resulting in the accidental deaths of one or more NPCs, and a bunch of kids trying to cover up a murder, hide the bodies, mind-wipe or drug witnesses and other crazy shit that stupid schoolkids would do if they were inordinately powerful.

With the right people you don't go down the tumblr 'I'm a needy bisexual wolf-kin' route.

It wouldn't be it's own Ministry. It'd be run under a joint commission of the Home Office, MoD, and Justice. There'd be stakeholder input from senior officials of the JIC and CPS, and a new focus on community outreach and bridge building.

It would be where damned souls in Whitehall are sent to do penance for their sins, reorganized every time there's a change in government, the budget would be better expressed in pocket change than pounds, and the main activity of the civil service staff would be hanging grimly on until they can claim a pension and escape.

Actual super-heroics management is done under a dodgy P3 contract with a joint venture between a gulf sovereign wealth fund, the Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan, and an unnamed Russian oligarch operating for legal purposes out of a galvanized tin bucket tied to a sheep wandering somewhere on the Bailiwick of Jersey.

Frontline staff providing the services would be largely indifferent people on Mandatory Work Activity. They were won in a poker game between the unnamed Russian oligarch and the then Minister for Work and Pensions, and for the most part believe they're administering disability tests.

This hits too close to home

>Ideally it would be "The Ministry of ..." , and would have a stupid acronym.
Ministry of Abnormally Gifted Individuals a.k.a. MAGI
or
Ministry of Advanced, Gifted, and Powered Individuals a.k.a. MAGPI

Good points. This is why I'm liking the idea of a regulatory body run by Civil Servants like 'OfQual for Qualifications': the basic regulation of supers is an independent, largely politically neutral body.
After that, I guess that there's branches in the military and policing fields.

>a new focus on community outreach and bridge building.

Exactly! I'm planning on starting these teen heroes in an compulsory ASBO-like programme. So far it is:
ExCRO : Extra-ordinary Community Responsibility Order

The Royal Commission into Superhuman Regulation and Public Safety.