Game Store Thread

We talk about our LGS. What do you like/what do you dislike?
I'll start

I like-
> Huge selection of every card game
> MTG scene is very competitive, but not douchey and pretentious
> There's an open copy or every board game on sale for you to test play

I dislike-
> Only 3 workers opposed to the 90+ people in the shop every Friday night
> Play area is cramped
> Bathroom is always disgusting

Other urls found in this thread:

kxan.com/2016/01/25/75000-worth-of-magic-the-gathering-cards-stolen-from-austin-store/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-café
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can't really expect a ton of employees, most of those stores don't make a whole lot.

>bits bin for 40k/sigmar/anything really. Made a bunch of fun conversions from it

Dislike
>owner is an actual manchild supports only games he likes and lets everything else die away
>40k group is mostly super competitive and a lot of them use shitty 3rd party models or recasts

>Iike
Good store with a variety of RPGs and board games

>Dislike
It closed down

>like
Location, it's like an 8 minute drive and has a great selection. The store has a great layout, too.

>dislike
Employees are fucking passive aggressive dicks to you if you don't play Heroclix or MTG. Many things are marked the fuck up. Example: WoW monopoly is $125 in the store. $30 on Amazon.

well ok lets go back in time then
Like:
>3 storefronts 1 for each comics and everything else(pretty much anything tg), gaming tables and a couple of arcade cabinets, and internet cafe

Dislike
>the owner died and the rest of the family had troubles
>since then stores have come and gone in the city and none have really stuck around for long, execpt for the oldest comic shop in town and they dont sell /tg (just magic boosters)

>Like:

Room to breathe

>Dislike

No room to breathe

>actual minatures games that aren't xwing are played there.
>I get a discount and store credit for teaching novices how to paint.
>new owner is a fucking amazing guy who orders shit for you and has it in next day, even if you order at closing time.
>video games are sold and played here too.
Dislike:
>melee tournaments on EDH day because they think they own the place.
>too many xwing players
>no mtg competitive scene
>melee tournaments on EDH day because they think they own the place. They smell like shit too.
>old owner who still comes to the store to Hanget out is a pretentious cunt who almost kicked me, a very high paying customer, out of the store because I accidentally called my 40k opponent who's also my best friend, and I quote "a cheeky little bitch," in front of a potato and his mom.
>FUCKING DISGUSTING MELEE PLAYERS AND THEIR WEEKLY FOX WANKING TOURNEY. I SWEAR TO GOD THE STORE SMELLS LIKE WEEKS OLD CUM AND DIARRHEA AFTER AN HOUR.

>like
The player base is nice, if a little on the casual side. The employees are friendly, and the venue itself is very clean and orderly. Their prices and trade in values are great, too.

>dislike
Their selection on singles is straight ass. They never open product and nobody ever trade anything anybody wants to the store, so they just never have stock of anything.

Fucking customers man.

>expects you to carry product and singles for a game a handful of people play
>expects you to control who shows up to the store instead of the customers handling interpersonal issues like adults
>expects you to let people play games for free

My LGS is pure faggotry. Their prices for singles are outrageous and I would be better off ordering cards online.

Anyone work at a LGS? I need a part time job and I'm considering applying to one near me. I'd be better than flippin burgers and getting grease burns.

Unless it's the one or two each state has that's actually of size you will be working less than 20 hours probably.

Fine by me, I just want to be getting a paycheck because I'm a full time student.

Store #1
Pros
>Great selection of singles
>Competitive pricing against internet websites
>Competitive play
>Past employees have been Golden Daemon winners and Pro Tour players

Cons
>Terrible trade-in value
>The competitive level makes newbies who only been playing for a couple years act like knowitall elitists when all they can actually do is copy lists off the internet
>The people there smell
>Small play area for a huge shopping area

Store #2
Pros
>Great trade-in value with a consignment system allowing people to sell cards to other players for store credit
>Consignment system allows you to sometimes pick up cards at a fraction of their actual price when people don't update their binders or when they want to sell off quick
>Friendly enviroment
>Large play area for a small shopping area

Cons
>Poor selection of good singles and sealed products
>Friendly environment brings in player's girlfriends who are nothing but annoying because they don't know how to play

I go to Store #1 whenever I need good cards, and Store #2 to play sealed tournaments because I always place in the top 3.

I worked in a FLGS for about two years. It can be pretty fun being surrounded by your hobby, so talking shop never feels like work. You should have level of social skills, and you should try to be as objective as possible when somebody asks a question, or asks for your opinion on such and such.

Also, a general tip for working retail. Don't try to sell something to everyone who walks into the store, that isn't your job. Your job is to show them everything related to what they're looking for, so they can pick from the options in front of them.

My city has like 6 LGS and for the life of me I don't know how they all stay alive.

Meant for

>Employees are super friendly, helpful, and easy to talk shop with
>Everything is clean, well-organized, feels friendly
>Stock is generally full and varied
>MtG scene is very friendly, except for the actually competitive, who are utter douchebags
>Events are well-organized and consistent

Dislikes
>Constant presence of annoying kids, even at late night events
>Selection is varied, but very limited in some regards, serving as a far more general tabletop store
>Closes super early on Sundays
>The MtG competitive scene almost made me drop MtG

This sounds like mine

Good
>large playerbase, two draft pods and an EDH game every week
>almost everyone is nice
>found an EDH playgroup who aren't too hardcore
>good selection of singles
>decent buylist prices on most cards
>sealed product is sold at MSRP for the most part
>variety of product (WarmaHordes, NetRunner, MTG, X-wing, FoW)
>decent size playerbase for everything

Not so good
>most packs are in French (you get used to it)
>singles are a little expensive, but I'll gladly pay for that convenience
>closed on Mondays and most Sundays

>mostly cool people who aren't that guy

Dislikes
>It's an official GW
>while most players are competitive, there's 1 or 2 guys that really go ham and try to smash new players just because

>store is pretty big, 2 bathrooms, 2 floors, a fucking elevator, lotsa tables, boards and scenery pieces
>huge quantity of board games, tabletop games and card games (don't know shit about the third but they always do tournaments of magic/yugioh)
>huge stock of paints and painting tools
>2 game nights per week, it's also open on sunday
>the managers know their shit and one of them is a top notch painter who always helps you
>they promote new games and always manage to create a niche community

dislikes
>the manager hates the living shit out of gw and always whines about it (for personal reasons)
>it's really difficult to order something, and the order often gets lost (happened to me twice, I once had to wait 2-3 months for the flames of war starter set)
>you gotta pay for tournaments (which is a good thing and a bad thing at the same time.... it depends if you have the money or not)
>card games players are AWFUL (they usually scream and break something, I think they let them come in only because they spend a fuckton of money on those cards)
>sometimes good games get forgotten to make place for newer games (for example it's already impossible to find players for bolt action or infinity)

>always a good selection of singles at fair prices
>gives good trade in value, even when you want cash.
>Has a good standard, and modern scene.

Dislikes
>wish it had a bigger play area
>only DnD group there is wired, and many members smell bad
>store is in a sketchy location. I'm just waiting for the day that some hood niggers come in to rob the place and steal muh cardboard
>edh scene could be better. Most of the people there tried edh, spent hundreds of dollars on their decks, and then just sold them at the last GP so they could foil out their modern decks.
>the place doesn't have a big turnout for it's modern tournaments because it's known as the spike store, and all the scrubs won't come.

>Likes
Wide variety of material.
Well organized, easy to find what you want/need.
Friendly staff.
>Don't like
They just lost 1/4 of their floor space when they renewed their lease, so they lost the three private play rooms.
They've started selling plushies and other "geek-chic" stuff that no one in the store is buying but the owner insists is a wonderful idea.

Local 1 man GW

Like:

Owner is pretty chill and open to many things as long as it's GW made

Decent variety of stuff and always tries to help and not shill shit

Everyone is either a newbie and just starting the hobby or generally have a small collection and now just started gaming

Dislike:

Small space and closed on days I'm usually off

>Like
Wide selection of board games and miniature games.
Staff are pretty chill, even let us get away with cursing every now and again while we're gaming.
Prices aren't worse than anywhere else in Australia.

>Dislike
Really minimal RPG selection, pretty much D&D 5e or Pathfinder.
Endless MTG and Yugioh tournaments take up 90% of the table space.

>even let us get away with cursing every now and again
Kek

I'm pretty new to tabletop gaming in general, so I might not be the best learned in this category.

>Awesome 40k selection, at least fifteen models for a good majority of the factions
>Most of the employees are really cool people and will actually help you out
>Play area usually has a decent amount of people most of the time
>A lot of the fluff books for 40k, basically a small library of them

Dislike
>The owner is really reclusive and when he comes out he gives off this weird imposing feeling
>Smells like sweaty pizza most of the time
>Gets really fucking hot whenever there's more than five people in there
>Warmahordes is pretty much a cardinal sin in there and is treated as such

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the friends of the employees loudly and freely curse, like to an outrageous point, no matter who's in there, my six year old nephew included.

I've got two stores.
Home:
>Good location towards the middle of town, easy to get to from anywhere
>Just the fact that we have a store again is a blessing
>Owner is a cool dude who hires good people
>Lots of free demos
>Heavily involved with the library, constantly doing programs with them
>Several private rooms that can be rented

>Singles selection is a bit lacking
>Same for pack selection, I think the oldest packs they have are Dark Ascension and those are dwindling
>They don't take foils for trade in because nobody buys them
>Owner isn't around too often because he opened a second store in a nearby city

College
>Holy crap the selection
>singles
>packs
>video games
>I'm going to buy that Steel Battalion controller some day
>Staffed by cool guys who somehow remember me even though I only show up for a prerelease or two each semester

>Video game prices are kind of gouged
>Terrible to trade to, they'll give you 60% of the card's low value in store credit and then sell things to you at the median value
>Takes about twenty minutes to drive there and 85% of the drive is highway
>Amarillo's highways are a poorly designed deathtrap
>the store's parking lot is a hole-ridden deathtrap, don't go there after it rains

I live in a town of 90,000, and we had three FLGSs, and a stable market. A fourth game store moved into town, unbalanced the market.

Now, if you've got the capital, it's your money to spend, all's fair in a free market. But they and started using the Local Nerd Community Facebook Group to plug their events, including (I shit you not) the sale of Mary Kay type cosmetics. They do no policing of the behavior of the Magic and Yugioh crowd, who frequently curse and never bathe, and discuss adult topics on the sale floor within earshot of small kids and parents. We now have a store in danger of closing down, another floundering, and the third drastically shifting inventory to compensate.

This new store is cancer, and as much as I want to see it fail, it won't. It has the support of another very successful store in a different town, owned by the same person. All I can do about it is support the stores I like.

My LGS is pretty cool. I live in a small area, so it's laid back enough.

The owner can come off like a dick, but he's really just trying to figure out exactly what you want so he can help you the best he can. That's literally the only con.

The dude is like a babysitter. There are people with clear mental issues and he just knows how to handle them and make them feel special. I'm sure half of the people that go to my LGS often feel as if it's the only place where they feel accepted. It's actually really neat.

Like:
>Massive selection of cards, even a box of unhinged/unglued if you ask
>Large enough play area
>Hosts some tournaments
>Casual deck competitions are common between players with no manager or employee influence.
>Warhammer isn't present
>Prices are fair and go with the TCG player median price
>Sell for 65%, trade in value of %75.
>Not far from home

Dislike:
>No store like this actually exists
>I'm so far out in the boonies that the closest fucking WALMART is over an hour away.

>2 floors, a fucking elevator

W-what? Why?

>even let us get away with cursing every now and again

Good:
>only flgs in the the area, and it's a huge area.
>I'm relatively close to it. About 20 min drive.
>casual 40k community.
>separate role playing rooms in the back.
>great selection of hobby related stuff and good staff.
>mostly great community. Always people there.

Bad:
>40k is so casual that people have to look up rules all the time and games take forever.
>no one seems like a great painter. None of the 40k players seem to have a fully painted stuff. I'm fairly new there and from what I can tell I have some of the best painted stuff in the group.
>I have weak lungs and am adverse to strong smells, and the smell there makes my throat sore for hours afterwards.
>things can be a bit pricey
>lots of not only social outcasts, but very annoying, outgoing social outcasts, not just the shy types.

There are literally two stores in the same strip mall. I go to the first one 98% of the time.

Store #1

Pros
>Employees are great
>Always have football on during Sunday draft.
>Have known the other Patrons for over a decade from another shop that has since closed down.

Cons
>SIngle card selection is lacking
>no AC

Store #2

Pros
>Large single card selection
>Staff is very knowledgeable
>AC
>Large area

Cons

>Patrons are all autistic neck beards
>Owner opened the store out of spite for the owner of store #1
>Over charges for singles

I guess a problem with my LGS is that I don't think we have a DCI judge. It's self policed. I mean, for rulings its fine - but there is one guy who I am like 75% sure mana weaves. Oh well.

>forgot to mention that most of the 'that guys' play warmachine and magic, so as a 40k player that's nice.

Irishfag here, only FLGS that I know of in the area is Gamer's World in Dublin

Pros:
>play area out back has lots of terrain for various settings
>employees are generally quite nice, helped my friend and I out when we were starting 30k
>has a wide variety of games
>does a voucher deal that I got a feee Assault Squad out of

Cons:
>quite small ( only four play tables out back, two in front but those are cards only)
>sometimes you get annoying people wander in off the street (I'm not one of those reeeeeee normies guys but it can get annoying)

Oh no, that sounds like a terrible store :^)
Words truly are a menace to society :^)

Pros
>closest, don't have to drive an hour to the city
>known the owner a while, best friend works there now too
>doesn't mind me hanging out and shooting the shit
>weekly EDH
>meet more people who play DnD in my 13k farm town community
>he's honest with pricing and shows your the sites he looks at for mtg singles.
>he'll order anything into the store for you
>his rewards card program is amazing
>it doubles as a paintball park
>he's growing quite a bit and a 40K scene is starting to grow

Cons
>it doubles as a bouncy castle place for kids, so when kids visit all you hear is WHHHHEEERRRRRR from the air pumps (at least you can go upstairs, but it's still white noise)
>it's out in the industrial park (so that he has room for paintball)
>all the DnD players play a different edition and I don't want to learn another one
>couple of the EDH guys have been playing for years so they have amazing "fuck you" decks and are a little overbearing/competitive.

Not that user but

>People in wheelchairs, when you're lazy as shit, or even if you're caring all your miniatures upstairs or shit you don't want to drop

>old owner of my favorite LGS was a kindly old man that looked like a wizard.
>Store back then had a primary focus on board games and tabletop RPGs.
>When he died, he gave the store to his scumfuck nephew.
>he proceeds to run the store into the ground like a one way train headed for the Kingdom of Molemen.
>Does shit like have shitty college bands play while FNM is going on
>Sells all his old shit online and replaces it with DVDs and Big Bang Theory tier "nerd" merchandise
>Welp. I need a new store...

>Friend keeps going on about this store an hour up the road
>it sounds too good to be true
>Essentially says the store is flowing with milk and honey.
>I go check it out with him
>HE WAS FUCKIN' RIGHT
>They have a whole floor dedicated to RPG books and accessories
>They bought out the store next door for seating to FNM
>the staff are all friendly, and their clientele seem mature and well mannered.

The one thing I dislike is people getting salty as fuck during gaming and throwing a tantrum in the store cussing & hollering, especially when there are kids around. Grow up.

>really friendly employees
>two big rooms, one with tables/board games lining the walls
>8 draft pods on fridays
>everyone i've played mtg against has been friendly and helpful toward me as a new player
>cool doggo named dag hangs there

dislike
>~25 minute train ride away
>customers are misogynists but i guess i should expect this

I remember the first time I went with my dad, the owner made me feel like a million bucks. Showed me all the different types of games he asked "Do you like Swords & Magic or Guns & Explosions?".

Then my descent in 40k madness began.

No need to be condescending there, man dunno where I struck a nerve with you. My nephew is six. I'd rather him not go around spewing what he picked up from some guy at a fucking games store. And even then it's just in bad taste to curse as much as these guys do.

handicapped probably. the stairs are really small too so it comes in handy to take the elevator if you gotta move some tables

>Decent selection of comics and game materials.
>Run by friendly older couple
>Huge collection of obscure B-movies for some reason
>Store is usually pretty empty.
>Less than five minutes away.
>Aside from the gaming groups there, the other customers are usually polite.

Dislikes
>Store is literally the size of a one bedroom apartment and super cramped. Claustrophobia ahoy
>Building is old and falling apart
>The place smells stale and old. Like the contents of a box that's been packed a long time.
>Most of the game groups are the same middle aged guys who have been playing at this same rinky dink location since the late 90s and pretty resistant to new players.

So, I rarely actually go to that gaming store. There's another gaming store in the next town over (the towns are essentially connected, so....)

>Friendly game groups, always open to new players
>Friendly customers
>Large, open area with lots of tables, chairs and two floors.

dislikes
>Very weak selection of anything. Maybe four racks of comics and a smattering of other things. Lots of MTG stuff though in a large glass case.
>About a 12 minute drive across town.
>Staff tends to be pretty apathetic unless you're talking about their game of choice.
>Mostly college students tend to be there. Some of them are cool, but a lot of them are pretty awkward and younger than I am.

I dislike-
> That there's not one in my state
;_;

>one of the most competitive MtG scenes in the region

dislike
>one of the most competitive MtG scenes in the region

>Large game room
>Plenty of tables
>Good parking

Dislike
>Staff is assholes
>Game room is paid entrance only, meaning your fucked if you want to pick up a game.
>Fee to game room means everyone just meets up at their houses
>Impossible to expand metagames without fresh decks, mini crews, etc.
>For mtg there's only 4 cards on display at a time and aren't allowed to look through binders
>Even as an employee
>No one knows what cards they have, have them in the computer and have to do a complete server search for each single card.
>Because they have a retarded layout, a two store space is impossible to navigate if 5+ people are there
>On pre releases you have 15 minutes to open all your packs AND build a deck
>Not much prize support
>Impossible to move around or breath unless by the AC
>Private room is always covered in trash

I'm pretty sure the owner hates all table top games.

Playing MTG. Anyone else have insight on game stores in the Denver area? I'm going to go visit Black Gold soon I think.

Store 1, Denver Central Games:
>80% play area
>Good prices

Dislikes
>The store has been dirty when I've been there
>Employees have been rude to me
I don't go there. I don't have to put up with that.
Store 2, Enchanted Grounds:
>Nice atmosphere
>Active draft scene

Dislikes:
>Full price everything
>Employees haven't always been that friendly, need to go break up their conversations to get help with things
>Where the constructed scene at?

where does lsv play

>fee to get into game room

I have no idea.

>huge play area
>owner is really nice
>warmachine players are really nice guys, play on a very competitive level but dont crush you for the sake of it
>10 minutes away from home by bike
>we can play warmachine there while the store doesnt even sell it

Dislike
>They dont sell warmachine
>40k players are kinda weird, thank god they dont play there all the time
>warmachine player base really shrunk last couple months though might grow thanks to mk3 release
>boardgames are pricy
>smells like wet dog mixed with fastfood during MtG tournaments

>Like
Big MTG support
Big 40k support
Big Xwing support
Big Infinity support
Lots of rpg and game variety for sale

Dislike
No fantasy/KoW players even before WHF got squatted

Feels bad man this is the first LGS my town has had in 10 years and finally my chance to do some Veeky Forums gaming but fantasy was always the game I was most interested in.

The store is amazing though, the owner is a really great guy, and all the people who come in to play are really nice and welcoming.

Is that the Montasy in Forest Hills user?

Pros:
>good stock of products, not much wargaming but plenty of boardgames and CCG
Cons:
>owner is a cockbag
>its impossible to enjoy CCG events because the meta is tryhard

and we wonder why our hobby is niche.
ugh
check your privilege, Veeky Forums, and man up

Pros
>Great community of top tier players (national)
>Open to trying new games
>Lots of table space
>In a closed mall so no shitty foot traffic.
>Most mini gamers are 25+

Cons
>Owner doesn't seem very interested outside of board gaming with friends
>Lacks chairs
>Has neon haired girls every where and beta males you just know are SJWs.
>Facebook group often has said girls posting attention whoring shit
>Have to use facebook to know whats going on
>25 minute drive
>Hardcore cosplaying naruto/bleach fan weebs every where

A thousand keks were heard as the store closed in 2018

Like:
>Pretty much everything in stock with shit like Red Box and Dark Sword figures, lots of things from miniatures lines that I have never even heard of including some games that are made by amateurs.
>Everything else Veeky Forums related sold there too, ranging from tons of BRP books and Lamentations of the Flame Princess to that one limited edition of OGRE.
>Incredibly nice owner, isn't always trying to sell you shit and will give you honest recommendations
>Games that aren't just 40K and MTG played there
>Auctions twice a year where you can sell stuff for store credit

Dislike:
>Smells like fast food
>Far away
>Only a 10% discount for ordering things, too spoiled by 20% discounts
>Infinity only once a month
>I honestly feel that it doesn't have enough tables, but I suppose that is the cost of having so much stuff in stock

>great collection of everything gaming
>organized events with non jackass people
>Friendly staff

Dislike
>Owner killed people twice for breaking into his store if anyone cares I will post the story
>no trade-ins for store credit
>I don't go often enough

>Owner killed people twice for breaking into his store

Which fascist country do you live in?

There is nothing wrong with defending yourself against armed robbers user. I am pretty sure that actual fascists were against the rights of ordinary citizens.

United States. Seperate Instances, 2005 and 2009. Each time it was one person breaking into the shop after hours so owner stayed in at night, each time he confronted them and killed them in supposed self defense. They did try getting him for manslaughter or whatever cause >California but nothing ever came of it. Owner is pretty chill

Armed robbers stealing in a games shop? What kind of collapsing society do you live in?

People would steal from any store if they could. Do you have any idea how valuable some MTG singles are? Of course a robber can make off with just as much as any convenience store, and possibly more.

I suppose living in Europe has isolated me from the real world, where armed thieves take on specialized products shops.

Here these shops don't have money after closing hours, and those games are hard to sell in the market. As an example, it wouldn't be the first time a club is broken in, and then left untouched when the thieves just found an awful lot of games and miniatures.

LGS #1

Good
>Has that local feel
>big wargaming selection, plenty of Warhammer, Infinity, and Warmahordes
>lots of space for playing
>They would do auctions every few months, I got a well painted venerable dreadnought for $10 and NIB Assault Marines for $10

Bad
>Tons of neckbeards
>The clients didn't smell bad but they'd like cook shit in store and it would stink
>one of those stores where you have no idea who is an employee or just a close friend who is always there.
>It closed

LGS #2

Good
>Tons of MTG and playing space for it
>A ton of Warhammer
>Lots of RPG shit
>Really professional, Polos and Khakis for all the employees.

Bad
>No tables for Wargaming
>Magic the Gathering players smell bad and I'd go to the store when it was kinda empty or when they had some other event on but whenever it was Magic the place just fucking stunk
>Professional but didn't have that local feeling

LGS #3

Good
>Always doing a lot of 20% sales like multiple times a week rotating what is on sale
>Stocked some less common shit like SAGA minis
>Seems like a decent selection of boardgames

Bad
>no playing space
>absolutely shit collection of Warhammer and Bolt Action and most popular tabletop games. When they do a 20% off Warhammer it sucks when thats 20% off their one box of Dark Eldar warriors and then 8 other shitty boxes that have been sitting there for 3 months
>Its always empty, I'm pretty sure this store is gonna go out of business too

LGS #4

Good

>Its a comic book store so if you're into that its cool
>Big selection of Warhammer and DnD and other popular shit
>Runs decent amount of wargame tournaments
>Professional staff but still friendly store

Bad

>there isn't really anything bad about this store, I guess if I was a nitpicker I don't like comic books so if they axed that and then just only carried Veeky Forums shit that might be better but again thats not a real complaint

continued.

It happens
kxan.com/2016/01/25/75000-worth-of-magic-the-gathering-cards-stolen-from-austin-store/
>$75,000 worth of cards

It's not about cash, it's about even a small stack of cards that could be worth over 10 thousand euro.

LGS #5

Good

>Absolute masters of social media, I thought it was an all boardgame casual store judging by their facebook and then when I went in it just had your typical LGS clientele, smatterings of neckbeards, etc.
>absolutely massive selection of boardgames
>Good miniature paint amount
>Decent hordes and Warhammer selection
>Good playing space for boardgames and card games
>Do a decent amount of clearance and selling used games, which is great for picking up cheap boardgames
>have sales farily often
>Its closest to my house

Bad
>No wargaming table space
>No non-mainstream stuff, you won't get anything more in depth than the most popular games in a genre.
>When they do friday night magic the store fucking stinks, yet again when they do other events it doesnt
>Kinda that same deal of who is an employee and who is a friend who is just here all the time, but that also plays into their casual friendly image

The only real complaints I have about all these stores is that none of them will dip under MSRP other than sales.

The other complaint is Magic the Gathering players, they just fucking stink up any store that they're in and for that reason I pretty much refuse to go to any store on Friday night if I know they have a popular Friday Night Magic.

>large selection of format staples for mtg
>exceptionally competitive pricing
>awesome staff
>always clean, well-lit and organized
>tons of used dvds and retro vidya
>lots of board games and other Veeky Forums stuff
>play area the actual size of the main store with tables for board games, mtg, dedicated wargaming tables with terrain
>TWO spotless, well-stocked and handi-accessible bathrooms
>seriously the owner just rented the retail space next to the main store and knocked out a door in the wall between them for the play area
>great magic scene with tons of tournament support, even going so far as to host legacy every thursday for the few of us that still play at 5 bux a head with 1:1 entry fee to store credit payout ratio for prize.

Dislike:
>sometimes i have to go to the other lgs because this one doesn't have an obscure legacy common or uncommon in stock. rare but happens.

If you know where to sell them. Here most thieves would just sneer at those weird geeky things.

Feminism/tunblr plz go

For specialty items it works the other way around. Thieves do not necessarily decide to learn about magic cards to steal and sell them, but sometimes magic players may decide to attempt to steal something because they already know the value.

I'm not sure why you find this so difficult to understand.

Cultural differences. There seems to be a much bigger market for Magic cards in the USA, and you seem to expend a lot more money on them than the most dedicated collector I've met.

Also, violence in my city is much lower and rare.

FLGS #1

Pros:

>Yuge selection for just about everything from D&D to Infinity.
>An entire Walmart-sized wall dedicated to minis.
>Every 40k figure in stock, even webstore exclusives and OOP miniatures.
>Active gaming scene for just about every game they sell, including board game nights.
>Excellent staff, the best, very knowledgeable and willing to teach you painting techniques.
>So much gaming room and over 10 40k tables.
>Bits boxes, pre-owned models, large singles selection, and the glorious dollar model box.
>Lots of commission painters available.
>Painting stands with lights and marble slabs to work at.
>Snacks and drinks like you wouldn't believe.
>Special orders usually arrive in 3-4 days.

Cons:

>FNM is the same day as PFS, so Pathfinder DMs have to shout over the throng of M:TG nerds.
>40k scene is pretty competitive, not a lot of fluff involved. But the guys are cool.

That's... that's pretty much it. It's pretty much the best gaming shop I've ever been to.

FLGS #2

Pros:

>They have "Phil". Phil is the guy for everything, he's the man. He's This Guy incarnate.
>Reliable and growing 40k and Malifaux scene.
>Sweetest painted bathrooms that are never disgusting.
>Awesome gaming tables, the best, even have cup holders.

Cons:

>Lots of Not-Phils on staff, results may vary.
>40k shelves are almost never restocked.
>Special orders take 2+ weeks to come in.
>40k night scheduled same as D&D and D&D always uses up 2/6 tables for their game in the back.
>Resident sperglords tend to outnumber the resident cool people.
>AC/Heating unit is unreliable.
>No snacks/drinks in stock half the time.

Most times I'll end up at FLGS #2 because it meshes with my schedule better and because Phil is just that cool, but lately I've been going to #1 since I've played the same guy in 40k like 3 weeks in a row at the other one due to people arriving at weird times.

LGS #1
Good
>owner is awesome
>actually local

Bad
>local is downtown and there is no parking
>more comic shop than game store thus:
>>smaller selection of games
>>smaller play area

LGS #2

good
>clean and friendly store
>a large variety of stuff
>Local with parking

Bad
>Selection is more like a checklist with no real depth
>some of the prices are a little silly (200% profit of portfolios)
>closes early on saturday

LGS #3

Good
>owner and all of his employers are awesome
>best toploader selection in the state
>play area has a free snack bar
>fantastic deals and pricing
>little boosterpack sized paper bags

Bad
>single selection in it's infancy
>bit of a drive to get there(within an hour)
>closes early on saturday and is not open sunday or monday

LGS #4

good
>best single mtg card selection
>largest play area
>best selection of board games
>large selection of board game demos in the play area

Bad
>only tcgs are mtg and pokemon
>almost always smells like mcdonalds

LGS #5

good
>The good single card selection adds competition to keep store #4 in check
>Pokemon singles
>carries a variety of other card games

bad
>is a yugioh store so it has yugioh players in it
>>people will steal your shit
>poor separation of play and sales areas
>dismissive staff, over shadow the nicer folks behind the counter

LGS #6

Good
>is a miniature store with a play area
>has a work bench
>staff are nice

Bad
>overpriced paint

LGS #7

Good
>lots of support for japanese tcgs

Bad
>takes about an hour to drive to
>inconsistent store hours
>parking lot is small with many of the stores reserving parking.
>almost always a group of people smoking outside

You must live in some backwater shithole in Estonia then.

are you me?

>Packs in French
That's not a con broseph
[s]granted its better when you can actually read it :^) [/s]

> what I like about my lgs
Uhhh... It's the cheapest place in town to get cards?
It's pretty fucking rapey looking though

> hambeast with nasty teeth hits on me every time I go
I'd hit that if it wasn't for the teeth.

> small shop with barely fucking anything
> expect to have a casual meta
> it's top tier decks from rich beach kids

I live in Moscow, we don't have LGS as per US understanding of the term, just some tabletop clubs which also try to sell TRPG stuff, but demand isn't great. From my experience lion's share of clubs are mostly oriented at M:tG and WH40k audience.

But there are en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-café s with pretty tame prices – like, $2 for the first hour or two, $1 for each one after this. So...

I like:
> lots of rather well-furnitured places to play in at an affordable price

I dislike:
> can gather at a friend's and spend the money in question on food
> no official LGS, so some books have to be ordered from Amazon &c.

Haven't visited the scene for a while, though, so things might've changed. Other Russianfags might correct me

Conveniently added after the other game store packed up, although there are rumors it's also because the store owner got stomped with his $800+ deck by some kid using non-white anti aggro cards (scars block was just introduced)

It's better than it used to be where if you didn't have money they would cherryfield a card from your deck/your binder. (Or your army)

I like-
>Employees are super nice, made many a-friend
>Regular "how to play (GAME HERE)" days with a chill friendly environment
>great selection of things, frequent sales, lots of comics and merch

I dislike-
>MtG scene full of elitist pricks
>Scheduled DnD games have way too many fuckin people

Like-
>Employees and Owner are great people, nicest GS I've ever been to
>People come in to play MTG and Pokemon, sometimes Yu-Gi-Oh
>Store has a great selection and will order anything if you're interested in buying it
>Great MTG scene
>Extremely clean

Dislike-
>They run out of stock fast, so the website is never accurate for their stock
>It's a bit of a drive out of the way
>Staff play more often than they run the store, meaning there will often be one person juggling duties while the other one plays

It's hard to think of bad things. All in all, it's a great place.

>Cool Staff
>Good MTG standard and draft scene
>Good Comic selection

Dislikes
>20 minute drive
>Small single selection
>MTG modern is dominated by 12 year olds
>Its in a shitty mall

That sounds exactly like mine. The store has great stuff, but it's got a "mom's basement" vibe to it.

I am mainly a MTG player

Store #1
Pros
>OK selection of singles
>Sometimes they put up foils at a 50%off for no particular reason (even staples, promos and shit)
>Competitive play
>Best play area in my town (store is large, clean, has good tables and chairs)
>Easy to get there with public transportation

Cons
>Overpriced on pretty much everything
>The competitive level makes the environment full of double-chin neckbeard rich fuckers
>Arrogant legacy and vintage players

Store #2
Pros
>Cheaper cards
>Somewhat friendly enviroment (casuals everywhere)
>Store owners always reward ppl with promos for doing ordinary things that somehow help the community, like helping a noob out, calling the forever alone psycho kid to join and play, etc

Cons
>My kitchen table is cleaner, playmats are a must
>Poor selection of good singles
>Friendly environment is kind of a con because player's girlfriends. Hate them
>Full of anime/brony fags and oh god the metal heads, pretentious as fuck (srysly wtf)
>People there stink (including the owners)
>Pain in the ass to get there without a car

>Like:
All players at FNM are very nice and welcoming, and prices are below average.

>Dislike:
It is family owned, and the wife of the owner will never be fired even though she is pretty passive aggressive and off-putting.

There's three in my area
Store one
>Great selection of mtg singles always have what I need
>Stocks warmachine and x-wing/armada as well
>Pretty competitive.
Dislike
>Some of the competitive people are pompous assholes
>Store is pretty small
>Trade in value is pretty bad
Store 2
> GW, so can (almost) always get a game in
>Manager is a great guy, has won golden daemons
>Most of the players are pretty friendly
Dislike
>GW
>Some players get really ass-blasted
>Closed Mondays and Tuesdays, only open till 7:30 PM other days so hard to find time to go
Third store
>Probably the biggest store in the area
>Willing to order product and usually I get it in a week
>Free Adventure League every Wednesday
Dislike
>Only really carries Standard MTG cards
>Don't like one of the store assistants
>They may start charging for Adventure League

Amazing Fantasy?

dislike
>board games marked up 300%
>owner constantly bitches about not being able to compete with internet