Sleeping Gods Quest #49

Previous threads: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Sleeping Gods Quest
Character journal: pastebin.com/kuwEtm6c
Character sheet: pastebin.com/z4MpU1Zu
twitter.com/MolochQM
ask.fm/MolochQM

As the local high priest, it fell to Holm to carry out the cremations, to read the words and to light the funeral pyres. Even so, you took on some of the responsibility, dividing the work between the two of you.

There were, after all, plenty of bodies to burn. About two dozen in all, soldier and civilian alike.

Under the light of the moon – a clear, radiant moon, as if Selene herself was blessing this occasion – you solemnly walked along the neat rows of pyres, reciting ancient words and prayers. When the last of the bodies have been reduced to ash, you'll take that dust and scatter it in the nearby forests. For each life lost, a single pinch of their precious remains will be sprinkled into the waters of the Dragon River – no more, and no less.

A crowd gathered to watch, sobbing relatives rubbing shoulders with grim, stoic soldiers. The Emperor watches from a distance, while Miura – pale with despair – clings to his arm. Perhaps it's a testament to how serious the event is, but the young Emperor barely notices her, staring straight ahead at the rows of funeral pyres.

When morning comes, he'll leave here a new man – a changed man. A change, you hope, for the better.

Although he too had been destined for the pyre, the Ascetic wasn't burned with the honourable dead. No, you handled him personally, taking his remains out far from the Dragon's Head and burning them in a pit. Wasting words on neither prayers nor curses, you watched in silence as those flames – somehow drab and greasy, compared with the pure fires that the others had enjoyed – consumed his flesh. Even now, in a carriage bound for the Nameless Temple, the smell of his cremation seems to cling to you.

The convoy moves across Tenngaru like a wounded beast, one that is bloodied but not yet broken. Limping along with a skeleton crew, the convoy picks up a few soldiers from every outpost you pass but remains consistently understrength.

There were simply too few men left in fighting condition at the Dragon's Head. Taking the survivors would have left the town completely unguarded. Even now, now that the worst of the danger has passed, that vulnerability was seen as unacceptable. So, with only the few dogged survivors riding alongside you, the convoy crawled along the next leg of its journey. Oba, deemed unfit for the rigours of travel, remained behind in the Dragon's Head, his close friend staying by his side. Koa, one of the two apprentices who answered the call, rides the carriage with you, his arm strapped tight to his chest. As the carriage finally arrives at the Nameless Temple, he lets out a heavy sigh.

“I hear we're off duty, now” he says as you both climb down from the carriage and stretch out aching limbs, “Plenty of others to take over guard duty, here. I guess we can relax a little. I feel like sleeping for a week, what about you?”

A day at most, you reply, your duties aren't quite finished yet. For now, though...

>Stick close to the Emperor
>Find Aya and give her the recent news
>Spend some time with Howa
>Rest until the convoy is ready to move on
>Other

>Have someone come get us when Sho talks to Mentor.

After all that we can take a load off for a bit.

Should talk to Aya later though, maybe with Ra and Sho too with the while Takino situation.

>while
whole*

Then later
Cause we got a lot.

give some time for Sho. Just enough time to get Aya to dig some dirt on Takino and maybe tip Hirohito off.

smut when fucko

KoaxVeragi

Okay fine, you want BL? KoaxSho

>>Spend some time with Howa
Aya comes later.

We got plenty of dirt on Takino. What we need to do is start turning the people to love the Emperor more than him. Sharing (and maybe embellishing) the story of defeating the Ascetic assassins and coming to an agreement with Lapis would be a good start.

yeah, I suppose. I guess Aya isn't currently ballsy enough to do a smear campaign.

then

I think she is, but I fear any smear or jab at Takino might cause him to turtle up at the Capital. We might be feeling a little paranoid right now since Ascetic failed and is probably doing his best to look like the loyal general who had nothing to do with it. We gotta keep him relaxed, make him think no one knows anything so he'll lower his guard.

Still we can run doing a smear by Ra and see what he thinks.

>We might
He* might

Damn phone

You've got a lot of news to bring to Aya – news she'll be quite interested in, you expect – but she can wait for a time. You've been away a long time, and you want to take some time out, some private time. Bidding Koa farewell – he scurries off in the vague direction of his quarters, just as eager to be home as you are – you watch as the Emperor and his bodyguards stare around them, feasting their eyes on the surreal architecture of the Nameless Temple. The first time always stuns people, from jaded veterans to innocent children, the high roofs of the wide entrance hall reminding visitors of how small they really are.

A deliberate effort to foster humility, you wonder, or a convenience of the existing architecture?

In either case, it hardly matters now. Determined to look composed, regal and dignified, Sho lowers his eyes from the high ceiling and strides away. Ra pauses briefly to speak with Tawn – the crippled man waiting nearby – before following the Emperor into the corridors. With that duty dealt with, Tawn limps over to you. He looks different then when you last saw him – less uptight, perhaps, but with a newly restored pride.

“Good to see you, Ira,” he says, nodding to you, “I hear the road was a hard one.”

Not so bad, you reply with a grim smile, but not as good as it could have been.

“I won't complain,” a faint smile of his own touches Tawn's lips – what little of them you can see peeking out from his bone white mask – as he glances back to the departing figures, “About the security here being unnecessary, I should say. The less we need the guards, the better. Oh, but I stopped by the archives earlier - I've got a message for you.”

From Howa, you guess, correct?

“Right,” Tawn nods, “She's off-duty today, taking rest in her quarters if you wanted to find her.” He says that in a voice that neither suggests nor implies anything, but his eyes tell a different story.

Thanking him with a sigh, you head off.

[1/2]

Acutely aware of the dirt and dust – the filth of the battlefield – clinging to your body, you knock on the door to Howa's quarters and let yourself in. A year ago, would you have considered such a presumptuous move?

Doubtful – things really have changed between you.

“Well well,” Howa, sitting at the small table, says softly, “It's been a long time, Ira. I thought maybe you'd hopped on a ship and sailed away with some young thing.” Before you can fumble out some answer – insisting, perhaps, that she had got completely the wrong idea – Howa laughs, her voice twinkling like crystal. “Do relax, Ira, I'm just joking,” she assures you, “Sit, and we can talk. I wanted to ask you something.”

Just so she knows, you tell her as you sit opposite her, you're not much of a sailor. In this small room, you're sitting close enough to rub elbows, to butt heads if you both leaned forwards at once.

“Oh good,” Howa laughs again, “So I just need to worry about you running away to some dusty little corner of the mainland.”

You're not running anywhere, you remind her, except when you're hurrying back home. So what did she want to ask, you urge her, something important?

“A simple question,” Howa meets your gaze, her eyes dark and intelligent, crowed with a few tiny, dignified wrinkles, “When all this is over, do you think you'll be ready to settle down? To take a rest, and let the land take care of itself for a while?”

Retirement, you suggest, is that what she means?

“If you like, yes,” she shrugs a little, “I'm sure you could take a position here, teaching the next generation. So... what do you say?”

>I don't know if I'll ever get a chance to settle down
>Teaching isn't really my thing
>I'm starting to like the idea of retirement
>Other

"Still might need to run off and deal with some of the bigger gods like Nodens and Kala sometimes though. I don't think I could ever stomach Mentor's inaction."

Buuuuut that doesn't mean we are just going to sit here like Mentor. Yes the new generation needs to handle tasks like we have in order to get experience so we probably won't be taking normal Writs anymore, but for things we are uniquely qualified for like dealing with Kala and later Selene we will still move into action.

>But no teaching please. I'm a fricking landed noble. Only resting in a seaside manor accepted.

Ira ends up teaching whether he means to or not I've noticed.

>>Teaching isn't really my thing
it really, really isn't.

You won't lie, you're starting to like the idea of retirement. As much as you don't like to admit it, you're starting to feel your age – injuries that you would have shrugged off as a young man now linger like malign phantoms, while more and more you've found yourself longing for rest. Settling down might not be the death sentence you once considered it to be, especially now that you've got a noble title under your belt. With some land of your own – an entire island, even – you could dig out quite a nice little den for yourself.

Having someone to share it with... that just makes the idea that much sweeter.

There's just one condition, you add sternly before Howa can get too fond of the idea, one thing you must insist on.

“Always so stubborn,” Howa's eyes shine with good humour, “Go on then – name your terms. Equal division of the chores?”

The time might come when you need to take action, you reply seriously, to take care of matters that others cannot – or will not – handle. That could mean dealing with bloodstained Kala, or negotiating with drowned Nodens. There will come a time to pass the torch to the next generation, you can't deny that, but it is not yet that time. You're still uniquely qualified to handle the roughest tasks around, and you can't allow yourself to turn your back on them.

You're not going to be like the Mentor – you cannot allow yourself to succumb to inaction or detachment.

“I suppose asking you to do your share of the housework would have been too much to ask,” Howa sighs, a sad smile touching her lips, “But... I expected you to say that. You're not the type to drop everything quite so easily. That's something I can live with – which is to say, I couldn't exactly stop you, could I?”

No, you reply with a smile echoing her own, she couldn't.

[1/2]

And another thing, you add in an attempt to lighten the mood, you're not sold on this teaching idea. It's not quite your kind of thing.

“Ah, you said one condition!” Howa insists, holding up a single, slender finger, “You've already put your cards on the table. Besides, I think you'd make a fine teacher – you certainly seem to end up taking on students, as I understand it.”

Yes well, you grumble, that's not a matter of choice. That's...

“A matter for another time,” she declares suddenly, leaning back and dismissing the matter with an absent wave, “It'll be a while before either of us needs to seriously consider the issue. Maybe age will change your perspective on things.”

You doubt that. Still, with that matter resolved, you can move onto better things. How about wine to start, you suggest, and then you can see where things go?

“No wine, I'm afraid,” Howa shakes her head, “I'm fresh out. I do have something, though, that I'd like you to take care of for me. Just sit there and wait...” Leaning forwards, she gives you a wicked smile. “Just wait,” she repeats, “I'll be right back.”

Covering up a smile of your own, you lean back and watch as Howa rises, slipping through to another part of her quarters. She must have prepared a surprise for you, something to make your return a memorable event. As your curiosity mounts, Howa returns, sitting opposite with ink and quill. Taking a notepad from under her arm, she prepares to write.

“Paperwork,” she explains, with a prim smile, “This Kala... tell me everything you can about her. Our archives have some shocking gaps in them, and I think you can help fill those out.”

That's it, you groan, that's what she wanted you for?

“The sooner we're finished with business,” she remarks, tracing the feather quill down your nose, “We can move onto pleasure.”

Well, in that case...

[2/3]

"I flustered the God of War I think."

You can still hear Howa's gentle snores as you carefully close the door behind you, glancing up and down the corridor with the secrecy of a furtive teenager. You might be getting old, but you're not beyond a few youthful indiscretions now and again. If anything, you can appreciate them more than ever.

Stretching a little, you shake out the creases from your hastily donned – and even more hastily removed – clothes and set off down the corridor. It's about time you stopped in on Aya, just to make sure she hasn't got herself in any trouble. Asking the first apprentice you pass for directions – guidance to whatever room she's using as an office – you make your way there. As you draw near, a strange smell reaches you. Paper and ink, with a note of machine oil. The printing press, you assume, is up and running.

“You!” Aya shouts, as you enter, “I've got a bone to pick with you!”

She... what?

“First you drag my assistant away, just as we were getting busy,” she rants, “And then, when he gets back, he's got a broken arm!”

Ah... Koa, of course.

“Don't you “Of course” me...” Aya continues, before stopping, her words dying on her lips .

What now, you sigh, something else wrong?

“Your neck,” she points out awkwardly, “You've got a... uh... You know what? Never mind – are you here to see how we're getting on, or what?”

>That's right. How are things?
>I thought you might like to hear about current events...
>I'm going to need your help. You've got a hand in public opinion, right?
>Other

>>I thought you might like to hear about current events...
>>I'm going to need your help. You've got a hand in public opinion, right?

Toss in Veragi's Legend in there too. The legend, not the real story. It would go well with Nodens' reveal.
Might want to get Sho and Ra in the same room with us to discuss this as well.

Veragi would be a good middle ground yeah. Something like a palate cleanser from all this anti-god and anti-emperor stuff.

Do we have a hickie? Did we justt squick Aya out?

>>I thought you might like to hear about current events...
>>I'm going to need your help. You've got a hand in public opinion, right?

You were wondering how things were doing, you decide, has anything broken down or gone wrong yet?

“It took a while to get this museum piece working,” Aya complains good-naturedly, patting the printing press with a strangely affectionate hand, “But things seem to be getting on. Still, I've not actually put a proper paper out – a local newsletter, just to pass around the temple. Practice, you know? Oh, that reminds me...” Muttering something else under her breath, Aya turns and starts to search the clutter that has already started to accumulate in the room – open boxes, stacks of paper and stranger things with no obvious purpose. After a while, she emerges with a small, flat book and holds it out to you.

“Here it is!” she announces, “The first book I ever printed. It's, uh, a little rough.”

It is that. Amateurishly bound in new leather, the text inside is actually printed squint, leaning like a poorly built shelf. Still, it's readable, and the book hasn't fallen apart in your hands yet. Flipping to a random page, you read out the first line to catch your eye. Seek strength, you read, and the rest will follow.

“It's a book of quotations, I guess,” Aya shrugs, “Motivational, I guess? Your boss wanted me to rattle off a few copies for the apprentices, and one REALLY good copy. A gift, I suppose. Anyway, like I said, this was the first one I printed. I thought, you know, you might want it. I mean, if it wasn't for you helping to set this all up...”

Closing the book and clasping it to your chest, you thank Aya for her gracious gift. What you don't mention is that Howa gave you a copy – handwritten in a particularly elegant script – of the same book a few years ago. In either case, you announce quickly, you thought Aya might like to hear about what you've been getting up to. Recent events, and all that.

“Neat!” she grins, “Step into my office, chief!”

...You're already in her office.

[1/2]

As Aya bustles about fixing two cups of chilled tea, you tell her about recent events - Nodens and his city, Veragi and the legends that surround her, even Murmur and curse-haunted Voile. Everything up to the Emperor's visit to the Dragon's Head, and the unexpected success he found there. As you recount the practice fight you shared with Maia, Aya's face lights up with a strangely childish enthusiasm, but when your story comes to bloodstained Kala, her expression darkens.

“All this time, we've had something like that lurking to the north,” she mutters to herself, “And nobody ever found out?”

Perhaps that was deliberate, you reply as you think of the first Emperor and his bargain, a deliberate attempt to hide a shameful truth. Rewriting history – the mortal records of it, at least – is well within an Emperor's power. The gods might hold the truth of the matter, but they so rarely share what they know.

“Yeah, well, that's my job isn't it?” Aya offers with a smile, “Take the truth and spread it far and wide. They can't chase down every copy of my paper, can they?”

No, you remind her, but they can burn down her office.

“Wow,” Aya winces, “Low blow, chief, but... not exactly wrong. Still, that's in the past now. I'm ready to start swinging punches, just as soon as I get a target.”

And you might have one to give her. You might need her help with something, you begin, she's got a hand in steering public opinion hasn't she?

“You make it sound so sinister, chief!” Aya protests, “I don't tell people what to think, I just try and give them the facts. If a little of my own opinions slips in, well... a hazard of the job, isn't it? So, uh, why do you ask?”

>I was just wondering
>Wait a moment, this is bigger than you and me. I have to fetch some other people.
>Because General Takino is a traitor. The people need to know
>Other

Hahaha, TOO LATE Aya.

>>Because General Takino is a traitor. The people need to know
"But maybe not quite yet. He doesn't know that we know and we can use that."

"So with that said..."
>Wait a moment, this is bigger than you and me. I have to fetch some other people.

You're in to become a dog of the state Aya

>Because General Takino is a traitor. But we need to set him up before calling him out.

Not quite. In this case interests align. Aya is interested in showing the truth and Takino being a traitor is a big one.

+1

Because General Takino is a traitor, you tell her, and the people deserve to know. He conspired to have the Emperor killed, and even now he might be tightening his grip on the capital. Right now, you're telling her this off the record – this matter is too big, too delicate to publish it straight away without considering the situation. With that in mind, you'd like her to wait until you've brought a few other people along to discuss the matter. Then, once a decision has been made...

“I can skewer the bastard,” Aya nods eagerly, “Takino... I bet it was him, he ordered my office burned. Maybe they were all in on it, all those dogs of the military, but I bet he was the one to come up with the idea.”

Don't get carried away, you warn her, didn't you just tell her how delicate the situation was?

“I guess,” the young reporter throws her hands up in aimless frustration, “Hey, I'm not going anywhere, so take as long as you need. Just, this isn't exactly a spacious office, and I've only got two cups. So, you know, keep that in mind.”

That's fine, you assure her, you're not asking her to serve a banquet.

“Good thing too, I was never much of a cook,” Aya laughs, before crossing over to you. “Oh, and one last thing...” studying you for a moment, she reaches up and fiddles with the collar of your tunic, pulling it a little higher, “That's better. Ready for polite company, at least.”

Grunting out an awkward thanks, you leave her to her preparations and head off to find Ra. In all likelihood, he'll be with the Mentor and the Emperor, making sure that neither of them commit some grievous breach of social protocol.

That would be a crowning irony – defeating the Ascetic and his hounds, only for the land to fall into war because of a single diplomatic incident.

[1/2]

>fiddles with the collar of your tunic, pulling it a little higher
that was a real bro move there

When you find Ra, he's waiting politely outside the Mentor's quarters, peering down at a book – a copy, you suspect, of the same book that Aya gave you. Clearing your throat, you cause him to look up from the little text.

“We're yet to have a disaster,” he says, by way of introduction, “Which is, in my experience, an excellent start. Certainly, this has been the most successful part of the journey.”

Well, you point out, this is a pretty safe place. You've all worked hard to gut whatever influence the Seer might have once held over this place, and the results are certainly showing. Here, at long last, the old advisor might be able to relax a little.

“Relax as the oceans relax, and resist as the mountains resist,” Ra quotes, giving you a faintly ironic smile as she nods down to the book. “I presume that means something,” he adds, “And it doesn't just sound nice.”

You wouldn't know, you reply, you've got two copies of that book and you're yet to finish reading either of them.

“Actually,” Ra's smile only deepens, a faint note of nostalgia replacing the irony, “I'm in exactly the same position. Let me guess... a woman, one very dear to you, gave it to you?”

Good guess, you reply, or maybe he knew the answer before ever asking the question.

In response, Ra merely leafs through the pages and holds up a section for you to read. A whole page of quotations dealing with romance, with courtship, and with the “proper” way to treat a lady. Perhaps, you think to yourself, Howa was trying to tell you something when she gave you that book all those years ago.

“That aside,” Ra shrugs, “Can I help you with something, or were you just making sure we were all still alive?”

>How's Sho doing?
>I want you to come with me, to talk with a reporter
>I did have something to ask you... (Write in)
>Other

>>I want you to come with me, to talk with a reporter
talk while we walk
>>How's Sho doing?

>How's Sho doing?

>How's Sho doing?
>How's Miura doing? She with Sho?

>How's Sho doing?

>Perhaps, you think to yourself, Howa was trying to tell you something when she gave you that book all those years ago.

Ira you insensitive cur. That's just harem protagonist level.

>How's Sho doing?

To be fair he never finished reading it.

That said, I don't know if that would have been enough.

Is he busy here, you ask, or is he free to come with you? There was a reporter you'd like him to speak with, one that might be able to help with the situation in the capital.

“I presume you're approaching this matter with the discretion it deserves,” Ra cautions, “As we've discussed, moving too early could be a costly disaster.”

You trust her to take the matter seriously, you reply after a moment of hesitation. Well, maybe not seriously, but... you've warned her against taking rash action. That, you hope, should be enough. Even if it isn't, there's a limit to how quickly she can move – time enough for someone to step in, at least.

“I suppose that's all I can ask for,” Ra shrugs lightly, “Then, yes, let's talk. Perhaps we won't decide anything today, but it's better to raise the subject now – rather than later, when we might have a lot less room to move.”

Meaning, when Takino realises that you know. As you start to lead Ra to Aya's makeshift office, you ask after the Emperor – how has he been doing?

“He is, I fear, not taking this opportunity as seriously as I had hoped,” Ra admits, “Still, I would hardly call his behaviour disrespectful... yet. This place might be little more than a museum, a relic of history, to the Emperor, but he's smart enough not to tarnish the growing friendship.”

And what about Miura, you ask, how has she been holding up?

“Not well, but her mood has started to improve. The air here suits her, I feel,” a fond smile reaches Ra's face, “She's with Sho now, and your Mentor. They're meditating together now – I'm told that it's an old custom, when a young couple perform their contemplations together. It's said to bring their minds closer together. Quite romantic, if you believe in that kind of thing.”

And a good chance for two young lovers to get a moment alone, you point out, there have been several... incidents here in the past.

“I don't doubt,” Ra replies.

[1/2]

“Aya Hinamaru,” Ra says with a knowing smile as Aya offers her hand, “I was under the impression that you were dead.”

“Come on,” she retorts as Ra shakes her hand, “Let's drop the acting and get right down to business. You've got a traitor in your midst, and you want the land to know his name. For that, you need someone who can spread the word – and fast. You need to get the press on your side.”

“You make that sound like you're expecting something in return,” the old advisor says carefully, “As if you'd rather not publish this.”

“Well... it IS dangerous,” Aya pauses, trying to gauge Ra's mood, “You know, I've been burned once already – no pun intended – and I might not be nearly so lucky next time. So... what's in this for me?”

Telling the truth, you point out, isn't that kind of a big deal for her?

“Well, yeah,” she shrugs, “But hey, it doesn't hurt to try. So let's talk details – Takino tried to have the Emperor killed. Now, he's riding high on public opinion at the moment, since there isn't really anyone to raise a voice against him, and that's going to make it difficult to kick him out. Get the public against him, and the job is half-done already. So... am I close to the mark?”

“That sounds about right, Ra nods, “Now, the issue – how to handle this. If we release the truth early, it would force Takino to respond. He might make a mistake and fall right into our clutches, or he could tighten his grip on the capital and prepare for war. If we wait until the Emperor is back in the capital before releasing the truth, we may have stepped into the jaws of his trap – or, he could be in a trap of our own design. There is, however, a third option.”

[2/3]

And what, you ask, is this third option?

“We keep the truth from getting out,” Ra explains slowly, “Until after Takino is... out of the picture.”

“You mean dead,” Aya points out, “Assassinated.”

“That would be the easiest way to resolve the problem, yes,” the old spymaster admits, “However, it is not the only outcome. We could watch and wait, moving in to arrest him when – if – he makes a mistake. However, we would be leaving ourselves open to additional attempts on the Emperor's life. Assassination, in addition, is not a matter to be taken lightly.”

Still, you think to yourself, it has a certain poetic justice.

“So, those are our options,” Ra shrugs, “I'm open to your opinions, or any other suggestions you might have.”

“Man,” Aya shakes her head, “This is above my head. I can handle printing the truth, and making sure it reaches the people, but the timing of it is nothing to do with me. Still, I've got to say, I don't much like the idea of just strangling Takino in the night. When the time comes, it should be public, without secrets or deception. But, well... what do you think, Ira?”

>We'll release the truth as soon as we can
>When the Emperor has returned to the capital, we'll send word – then, print the truth
>Keep the truth quiet for now. We can handle this quietly
>I had another plan... (Write in)
>Other

>When the Emperor has returned to the capital, we'll send word – then, print the truth
It might be more risky but I feel like Takino needs to be publicly executed, both to show Sho stepping up as a leader and that the military isn't invincible.

Also I honestly can't imagine Takino trying something so overt like a coup if the people favor the Emperor.

So send TWO newspapers. One which we can release right now about recent news and Sho's accomplishments in securing peace and bring stability.

Then later once we have our roots/Hirohito's men in the Capital send the second newspaper telling the world that Takino is a traitor.

We need to secure the help of the rest of the generals first.
Also, maybe organize a celebration in the capital so Takino's men would be drunk at the critical moment.

These

>I had another plan... (Write in)
We start a smear capaingn, starting with how he sacrificed the city to the rebels, something Hirohito wouldn't do. THen how he had troops out in the city to remove "dissidents" who did not bow before him or his position. Build up a slow rumble of hate against him. Conversely praise HIrothito's bravery, and Sho's great strides in making peace in the land. Make them out to be heroes and him to be a villain. The campaign should start now and culminate when Sho returns to the city. Having Takino plotting with a foul sorcerer to kill our young Emperor. The people will want his head, so will the military.

That just might force Takino's hand

It's supposed to be a set up.

Like I said earlier any kind of 'attack' towards Takino might cause him to get desperate and do something drastic. The best way to go about this is to make him think nothing is wrong. He is secure. We can make Sho look good and sway support without direct smears.

>I apologise for the delay, I ran into something of a block. I hope to have the next post up soon, in either case.

When the Emperor has returned, you decide slowly, you'll send word back to the Nameless Temple – word for Aya to start spreading the truth. Maybe it will give the traitorous general more time to secure his position, but it also gives you more time to prepare, to work on swaying as much of the military as possible. At the end, you want Takino in chains – his punishment needs to be a public one, a display of strength on Sho's part. Not a crude gesture of intimidation, but a righteous application of justice.

“Not like that farce of a tribunal...” Aya mutters to herself, loud enough – and deliberately so – that both you and Ra can overhear.

For now, you tell her, you'd like her to print a newspaper praising the Emperor and his recent works. Not only has he survived two attempts on his life, but he is also working towards peace and stability. Even without trying to win over public opinion, that news deserves to be spread. Once the pieces are in place, you'll send for her to release a second paper. If the first had been a blessing upon the Emperor, then the second story should be cursing Takino's name.

Then you look across to Ra. Unless he has any objections, you ask, any flaws that he noticed straight away?

“I suppose the largest risk is assuming that Takino will operate covertly,” Ra muses, “If he decides to cast aside subtlety and simply take command of the capital, our efforts at caution will be for nothing. However, in that case, I fear any efforts we might take would be pointless – he would simply have taken the palace as soon as the Emperor left. No, I suspect that Takino won't risk an open coup so early, not unless his hand was forced.”

“There's nothing we can do about that, if it happens, is there?” Aya says with a shrug, “Short of, you know, laying siege to our own capital city. Something I'd rather not bear witness to, honestly.”

[1/2]

“I think we'd all rather avoid such extremes,” Ra agrees, “We've all come so far, it would be a travesty for our efforts to be wasted. To work together and bring down an enemy from without, only to be stabbed in the back by a supposed ally... it's a damn crime.”

One that Takino will be forced to answer for, you promise, that's something you're all here to make sure of.

“Just don't ask me to be there on the front lines,” Aya adds, forcing a smile, “I'm getting quite comfortable, tucked away in this little office, and I'd rather not move out now. So, you know, if you need someone to get shot at, that's what this guy is for.” She punches your arm as she says this, offering you a wink – like one conspirator to another.

“Oh!” Ra snaps his fingers, the sound crisp and clear within the small room, “I should have mentioned earlier, I apologise. One our mutual friends, Ira, was asking after you. She mentioned that she was going to do some research. It slipped my mind – considering the other issues, I imagine you can see why. At least now the message has been delivered. What you do with it is up to you.”

A mutual friend... Ishida? If she's doing some research, this must be to do with the Garuna catacombs. Your next stop on this tour of Tenngaru, although your plans differ – quite significantly, you suspect – from what the Emperor will be doing.

>Head to the archives
>Visit the Mentor, if he has finished with the Emperor
>Ask some last questions here... (Write in)
>You've got some other business to take care of... (Write in)
>Other

>Head to the archives

>Head to the archives

>Head to the archives

Why not offer Aya an interview with Sho? That shit ough to bring a lot of suport if he play it right

Ishida wouldn't be asking after you if it wasn't important – she's not exactly the type for idle chatter, or the sort to long for the company of others. Either she needs your help, or she thinks you need hers.

Either way, it's worth checking out – especially since you've got some free time on your hands. Before you go, however, you had an idea you wanted to put to the pair of them. What about, you suggest, an interview? As long as Sho doesn't completely screw up, his own take on recent events could really shift public opinion in his favour. Plus, you don't need to explain what it would do for Aya's readership numbers.

“An interview. Hmm,” Ra taps a finger against his chin, “I would ask to read it over before publication. Needless to say, printing any kind of fabrication or distortion of his words would be incredibly... unwise.”

“Hey,” Aya snaps, “I'm not going to be a mouthpiece for you, but that doesn't mean I'm going to twist the truth in the name of shifting copy. I'll print what the Emperor says to me, good or bad.”

“I suppose that's good enough,” the spymaster sighs, “Very well. I'll raise the issue when I have the chance. With a little luck, it can be done before we leave here. So, if that's our business concluded...”

With one final round of farewells, you and Ra depart, leaving Aya to her preparations. Already, you can hear her muttering vague and formless sentences – headlines, each more lurid than the last – to herself. As Ra goes his own way, returning to the Mentor's chambers to wait for Sho, you head down towards the archives. Behind the counter, flinching at the sound of your arrival, Sanae is able to point you in the right direction. In one of the darkest, dustiest corners of the grand chamber, Ishida is bent over an unfolded scroll.

[1/2]

So, you ask quietly as you sit opposite her, what did she want to talk to you about?

“Furyo,” she replies, her voice as clipped as ever, “Good thing I wasn't in a hurry. Did the old man forget to mention me?”

Actually, you tell her, he did.

“Figures,” Ishida grunts, smoothing out the scroll – the ancient map of the devotional tunnels beneath the Dragon's Head. As she reveals the true extent of them, you can't stop yourself from cursing in dismay. “I know, right?” a bitter smile touches Ishida's lips, “Look at this nonsense...”

You're looking. While you were down in the tunnels, you hadn't been able to appreciate their true, sadistic design. Although you had been able to grasp their twisted, aimless construction, your single viewpoint barely touched upon the snarled mess they truly were. So, you say slowly, where do you start?

“This tunnel here,” Ishida explains slowly, tapping a copy of the map – one sketched out with excruciating care, “The arrow. If my guess is correct, that's a tunnel, sewers most likely, that opens out beyond the city walls. That's our entrance. This chamber here – again, if my guess is correct – should be right beneath the temple of Selene. Our goal, in other words.”

You look at the two small markings – an arrow and a cross, marking beginning and end – and then look back to her. It's a pile of tangled bullshit, you point out.

“You think I don't know that?” she sighs, “Look... that's what I've got, take it or leave it. Any questions?”

>Do you think Selene wants to see us?
>What do you think we'll find down there – any dangers?
>Have you considered an alternate exit?
>I want to ask something... (Write in)
>Other

>Have you considered an alternate exit?

>>What do you think we'll find down there – any dangers?

>Do you think Selene wants to see us?
With her foresight she probably knows we are coming but hasn't told anyone as far as I know.

What does she think you'll find down there, you ask as you look at that labyrinth, any dangers?

“It's hard to get reliable information,” Ishida admits, “But I have heard whispers. Every so often, someone makes it down to the catacombs – sometimes its official business, to make sure the ground isn't about to collapse out from under us, but sometimes it's just a drunken idiot falling into...” She pauses then, wincing at her thoughtless words.

The point is, you continue smoothly, there isn't a lot of information to go on. Would that be an accurate assessment?

“Right. You hear stories, though,” Ishida presses on, “The people that go down there, they hear voices or see fleeting human figures. Girls, mainly, young women. Frankly, I don't quite know what to make of it, but I've never heard of anyone being attacked down there.”

And what if someone went down alone, you point out, and never came back up? There wouldn't be any way of the tale being told. Truth be told, you've got a few ideas of what might lurk down there – although the crimes committed in her name are mostly lost to history, Selene isn't an innocent. Acts of human sacrifice, young priestess accused of breaking sacred laws or inviting impurity cast into deep waters to drown. How many bones might be found down there, in those ancient catacombs?

Enough to give rise to a few ghost stories, you suspect.

What about Selene herself, you ask, does she think the goddess would welcome visitors? Logically, she knows you're coming – her foresight should tell her that much – and she'd be able to stop you. She hasn't raised the alarm, as far as you're aware, but she isn't exactly making it easy for you to find her either.

“This is a test,” Ishida says glumly, “Either Selene wants us to prove our devotion, or she wants us to be desperate.”

Which, you wonder, are you? Devoted to your duty, or desperate for answers?

[1/2]

What about this, you ask as you point to the lone entrance, there's only one way in or out. Has she looked into finding an alternative exit? In such tunnels, there's never a harm in being prepared for collapsed passages or other forced diversions.

When Ishida doesn't answer, you begin to suspect that something is wrong. Fear darts across her face, mingling with uncertainty as she grapples with an unwelcome truth. She wants to lie, you realise, more than ever before.

“There should be another way out – a way up,” she mutters, “But that would lead us into the temple. In other words, there would be no way of avoiding detection. If there's a... a collapsing tunnel, though, we might not have a choice.”

Is that what she's afraid of, you ask, getting trapped in a cave-in?

“You mean you're not afraid of that?” Ishida shoots back, dodging the issue as only a priestess of Selene can. Her evasive answer is all the confirmation you need.

>You can stay behind, if you want. I'll go alone
>You're not going to let me go alone, are you?
>You're a liability, Ishida. You're not coming with me
>Other

Also did we pick up Noden's Lense from the Ascetic?

Not even egging her on, if she really doesn't want to do this she doesn't have to.

>>You can stay behind, if you want. I'll go alone

Yep.

>We picked it up, yes. However, I forgot to note it down until now. That's sorted now, at least.

She can stay behind if she wants, you offer as you look down at the map, you don't mind going alone.

“I'm going to confess something to you, Furyo,” Ishida begins gravely, “I don't like the idea of those tunnels. Dark, tight spaces, like something a worm would dig... even the thought is enough to turn my stomach. Still, I want to go – I need to see her with my own eyes, the goddess that I've sworn myself to. In a way, I'm a pilgrim, and pilgrimages are supposed to be difficult. So, while I appreciate the offer, you're not going to get rid of me that easily.” Finally, a slight smile touches her normally cold mouth. “But I mean that,” she adds, “Just the offer is enough for me.”

As long as she's sure, you reply with a shrug, was there anything else she wanted to ask you while you're here?

“Just be ready for anything,” she tells you, “When the time comes, we'll be working on a strict schedule. I don't want to have to turn back once we get moving. Got that, Furyo?”

You get that, you assure her calmly, you understand.

“Then we're done here,” the spy decides, hesitating for a moment before passing across the sketched map, “You can keep this one. I'll work on making a spare copy.”

Thanking her for the map, you let her return to her work, leaving the archives behind you. Outside, you hear a vague commotion coming from the directions of the Mentor's chambers, echoing throughout the alien corridors of the Nameless Temple. It doesn't sound like danger or chaos, but the routine sound of soldiers moving into position. Following your ear, you return the Mentor's domain and watch, with interest, as the young ruler emerges. By his side, playing up the role of teacher, the Mentor keeps a respectful distance.

[1/2]

“Today, we have strengthened ancient ties of friendship,” Sho declares, “And set in stone an alliance that will last for the countless years ahead. As the gods are tied to this fair land, so too am I, as Emperor, tied to this venerable school!”

The assembled crowd – both soldiers and the various members of the Nameless Temple – cheer at that, although the reception is somewhat mixed. The soldiers cheer with enthusiasm, although something about their roars – some hesitation, perhaps – suggests that they don't quite understand the Emperor's words. The apprentices, on the other hand, are far less certain in their enthusiasm, and far more confident in their knowledge. They're not convinced, but at least they make a token gesture.

Small steps, but even the most meagre steps can add up to a journey.

That might be a quote, now you think about it, from that little book.

As the crowd starts to disperse – although the soldiers stand guard, remaining close at all times – Sho saunters over to you. In the background, allowing herself to be led away, Miura looks pale and weary. Still, she walks without any support, and when her dark eyes meet yours for a brief moment, they have an intelligent light in them.

“So this is what you do here,” Sho remarks, “You sit around and think, hmm?”

Meditation, you correct him, and contemplation.

“That's what I said, isn't it?” he shrugs, “Still, I can very well see the value – that was the best sleep I've had in a long time.”

You're going to assume that he's joking.

“Assume what you like,” Sho shrugs again, “But I feel about ready to visit Garuna. I hear it's very beautiful, in a kind of... traditional way. You have quarters here, do you not? Somewhere for me to rest before we move on.”

>I can show you the way. It's about time I got some rest as well
>I wanted to bring you an offer – an interview, one that might help win over the people
>You should take this seriously
>Other

>>I wanted to bring you an offer – an interview, one that might help win over the people

>>I wanted to bring you an offer – an interview, one that might help win over the people

But then yeah, show him a place to sleep after.

You wanted to bring him an offer, you propose, an interview. It would give him a good chance to get his views out, you add, and the public would – in all likelihood – react favourably.

“An interview? All I'd need to do is talk to someone, you mean?” Sho tilts his head to the side as he thinks, “Well, that doesn't sound too much like hard work. Yes, I think I might enjoy that – I hope, though, that this isn't some kind of trick. I've heard some fairly interesting stories about what makes the papers these days, and I can't say I always approve. So yes, if this is some attempt at digging up fool gossip...”

It's a genuine offer, you repeat, one given in the best of intentions.

“Hmm...” the Emperor thinks aloud, reaching up to straighten his hat – a spectacularly impractical thing that looks, you realise, a little bit like the Nameless Temple itself – as he debates, “Very well. Lead the way, Ira. This... maze is your territory, after all.”

As Sho shuffles after you – his sandals, although hidden behind the hem of a long and richly decorated robe, are no doubt foppishly designed – you lead him to Aya's office. It's going to looks strange, you think to yourself, seeing the two of them in the same room. Aya, forced to rebuild her wardrobe from the ground up, has taken on a rougher, more practical style. Out of the two of them, Sho's manner of dress is far more flamboyant – girlish, even.

He might be improving, growing more mature as he travels, but Sho isn't beyond reproach or criticism.

As you walk, you point out a corridor of empty rooms and suggest that Sho could easily find lodgings there. It won't be fancy, you add, but a bed is a bad. With that duty dealt with, you lead him into the cramped, cluttered workspace that Aya has claimed. A pair of boxes, improvised chairs, have been dragged across to an empty patch of floor.

She's really made an effort.

[1/2]

>that was the best sleep I've had in a long time
The smugest, holy fuck is that kid a cheeky one

“Huh, so you really agreed to this,” Aya blurts out as Sho takes a seat, “I... uh, I never actually thought you'd be willing to...”

“I'm quite curious,” Sho admits, “I was expecting something... else. Well, no matter – shall we begin?”

“Uh, sure,” Aya fumbles for a pad and a stick of charcoal, somehow managing to snap the little thing in half, “Sure. Wait... what do I call you? This is the first time I've ever talked to an Emperor, believe it or not.”

“I can believe that,” Sho chuckles, “Just use whatever you feel comfortable with. Really, I'm more interested in you, what you've got to ask me today.”

“Right, right, then let me just...” Aya glaces across to you, “Hey chief, you got somewhere else you need to be, or what? Not to be rude or anything, but this is confidential stuff. If you want to know the juicy details, you'll need to wait and buy the paper like everyone else.”

You stare at Aya in amazement, stunned by her nerve, and then throw out a frustrated shrug. Fine, you announce, you'll go and get some sleep. It'll be nice to have a proper bed for once. As you're leaving, you see Aya leaning forwards, her nerves replaced by an almost predatory focus.

“So,” she asks as you close the door behind you, “I hear that you've been spotted in the company of a fine young lady...”

She's a true professional, that one.

>I think I'll have to end things here for today. Next thread on Friday, and I'll stick around in case of any questions
>Sorry about things being a bit slow today, I've been feeling a bit off

No problem Moloch, thanks for running.

So what did Mentor discuss with Sho? I'm curious.

A large part of it was just asking Sho to recount the events of the past few days in as much detail as possible. Then, he asked Sho to imagine it from other points of view - that of a soldier on the front line, a civilian taking shelter, and even one of the assassins. Mainly, it was just an attempt to remind Sho of how his actions influence others - a good way of teaching responsible leadership.

Thanks for running. Super good as always, pleasure reading your work.

thanks for running Moloch

How's Miura liking the Temple? She doing better?

Is Koa out like a rock?

Thanks! I was a little worried about today's thread, so I'm glad it worked out okay.

The calm agrees with her, certainly. She might not see the Nameless Temple as a place to live permanently, but it's better than the warzones she's been living in for the past few days.
Koa, yes, he's pretty much passed out. He's a teenage boy like any other - he enjoys a good nap!

So how much stuff is going into the first newspaper? Kala? Veragi? The interview? Seems like we have a lot.

The first paper is going to stick to positive news, such as the good parts of the Emperor's travels, with a good chunk devoted to Nodens and Veragi's legends. For now, this is largely announcing the paper's return - the heavy stuff will come later.

Sho's impression of the Temple change at all?

He still sees more as a curiosity than anything else, but he recognizes the value in much of the wisdom here there. He didn't really get anything from his attempts at meditation, for example, but it was definitely relaxing.
So, I'd say his impression has improved. Before, he might have had private scorn for the rituals and practices. Now, he's accepted them as harmless eccentricities. Not much of an improvement, but it's a start!

How bout the Wanderer Order's impression of Sho.

What did Mentor think of him?