/EDH/Commander General

Fun edition.
Share your most hilarious playgroup moments.

>Previos thread
>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-06-16-jeskai-ascendancy-combo/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/extreme-budget-no-scoping-under-5-without-lands/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-counters-combos-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ramses-overdark-art-tribal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

According to a Sedris player, Mogis is OP as commander

I suppose he's difficult like all the gods and does lean towards stax gameplay, but this claim on its own seems a bit silly

I wasn't in the room, just something I've heard from someone else

How is mogis at all OP?

take 2 damage a turn or sac a creature. Scratch damage in a 40 life format, especially when decks can have excessive life/creatures that they dont care about.

I run Mogis in my Nekusar deck. The abilities are average at best but its fun to use and getting him into creature form isn't hard either.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-06-16-jeskai-ascendancy-combo/
just built this would love some feedback please

>30 lands
>in a 5-color deck
>entire mana base folds to a Ruination or a wipe
>a whopping 2 Slivers in a deck with a Sliver commander

If you built this just to make me mad, it fucking worked

Recent game: people got ramped and hugged by Selvala, Gitgud Frog tried to land various engines which got killed quickly, blue players (Teferi and Jin) tried to go for combo kills early and just kept countering eachother. Board got wrathed like 3 times from big beaters and lots of tokens. Frog player then got his graveyard hated. Meanwhile I (Daretti) drew million cards from Minds Eye and tons of big mana artifacts so I got greedy too and played my only instant win combo into removal. Won several turns later with 20 artifacts and Tyrant. Such is life in the mono red zone.

>Share your most hilarious playgroup moments.
Oh boy, strap in

>playing Godo against Karador, Lazav and Odric 2.0
>Odric player knows how explosive my deck can be so he immediately starts hammering away at me, other guys ping me now and again
>End up down to like 3 life, drop Wheel of Fortune as my last card in hand
>Draw into every possible thing I could need: Basilisk Collar, Magnetic Theft, Fireshrieker, Trailblazer's Boots, Nim Deathmantle, Seize the Day, and Chandra's Ignition
>drop Collar, suit up, and play Ignition
>Odric player hangs his head in defeat and the other guys try to argue that deathtouch only works in combat
>drop the rest of the Equipment and beat the shit out of the table with 5 combat phases

On the off chance of replying to a troll. Why not use Child of Alara or Progenitus instead?

Am new, what happens if I cascade into an X cost?

X = 0

>the other guys try to argue that deathtouch only works in combat
High-tier kek

You built a 5-color combo deck... around Jeskai Ascendancy of all things?

Not him, and I haven't even looked at the list, but imagine comboing it with token spells, convoke, Cryptolith Rite, and the other cards that let you tap creatures for mana. Makes perfect sense to me that you'd need green. And I guess black for tutors.

OK, but he has access to every color and a million other BETTER combos including commanders. This is coming from a guy who built a combo around Mishra.

Jeskai Ascendancy requires a LOT of build-around and don't get me wrong it's fun in 60-card when you can run a bunch of 4-ofs but in 100-card singleton it's just a waste of everyone's time.

You should look. Just go look.

>EDH game
>one friend is playing group hug
>plays 2 lands that can be tapped for mana or tapped and sack for draws
>first guy uses them for mana
>2nd guy uses them for mana
>I sack the fuck out of them, hell yeah 2 free draws
>everybody gets butthurt

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/extreme-budget-no-scoping-under-5-without-lands/

Did one of you nerds make this, wheres the $20 Unhollowed user.

>sidisi tutor snek
>ad nauseum
>sickening dreams
>boseiju asian tree
>dark sphere
>zuran orb
>54 swamps

Wish me luck, it folds to 1 counterspell but that gives me more time to go play a better format

You're missing about 40 cards there, genius.

>2 lands that get passed around and can be sacced to draw
What are those?

Unless the spell gets exiled, you can use Codex Shredder and Shrouded Lore to get your Ad Naus back. Imp's Mischief can also be used as anti-counter tech.

Rainbow Vale can get passed but it doesn't sac to draw

Because in a pinch the slivers can be mana dorks with the mana slivers in play

I could not get a reply in the last thread before it died but I can't decide whether to go zur doomsday or zur solitary confinement for my next deck. I am planning to make the deck to be as powerful as possible but I don't know which is better?

5 combat phases how?

Doomsday seems more powerfull overall. The other options just protects you, while Doomsday lets you win practically one the spot (although you still need some setup).

Does anyone have a list, I can only find one on google.

>mfw giving the Yeva player a Steel Golem
THE WILL OF ZEDRUU

What slivers? The deck has 3 including the queen and I don't see any shapeshifters. If you aren't going to commit to the slivers you are going to fail and your deck is shit anyways

>down to me and one guy
>he wipes my creatures
>I angel's grace to stall for my turn
>put down Guardian Angel
>no response in hand
>proceed to give myself protection from all damage
>manage to get out Angel of Hope
>keep stalling since I have unlimited mana works
>slowly build up my board and he still hasn't pulled anything to exile/bounce her
>he gets pissed off and pulls All Is Dust
>his face when pic related

>Rebound trigger for World at War
>Normal combat
>Godo's trigger
>Seize the Day
>Flashback Seize the Day in postcombat main phase

I could go infinite but I only had Sword of Feast and Famine out without Aggravated Assault

You're a devil good shit.

Best playgroup moment
>playing a 5 player game
>4 regulars and new guy
>new guy is relatively normal
>sit down to play
>he gets out a daxos b/w precon
>new guy is using ultrapro sleeves not superior kmc sleeves
>they are matte black without anime girls on them
>not double sleeved
>his playmat is not even a gameday champion mat
>t1 his first land is a FUCKING THEROS BASIC SWAMP
>point this out to him its not standard its elder dragon highlord
>t2 he plays a sphere of the sun
>i educate him how muh better sol ring is
>by t4 he scoops and leaves
>hasent seen him since
>dodged a bullet there tg
Fucking casual outsiders, this is my game, you better bring it like i bring my derevi stax or go back to facebook chad

>playing a sliver commander
>you MUST play tribal

>playing derevi
>forced to play bird wizard tribal because of you commander
Your argument is retarded and you are a potato

>derevi stax
That's 2 threads in a row now, is this the hot new /edh/ meme?

Slivers don't really work when there aren't very many of them. The entire point, flavor-wise and mechanically, is that they get better the more of them are out there, so they really are best played as a tribe

That deck is pretty much just a 5-color mana dork/ramp deck

I need super double secret spicy Golgari tech

Give me your best

i love the shit out of deathreap ritual over grim backwoods any day of the year

You mad casual?

Grim Backwoods actually looks pretty good for who I'm building

Hows that deck coming along mang, you've been storming it for like 3 threads now.

r8 h8 apprci8

Not too bad, if a bit slow. Lots of sac effects. Golgari Mind Control is pretty groovy

I only asked because I'm looking for stuff to round it out, I'll stop talking about it now

>Tragic Arrogance
>Only creature they have now is Grim Monitor

Shit, meant grid

it's official: magic players are autistic

I have a new dream.

>drop Tragic Arrogance
>while someone has Steel Golem, someone else has Grid Monitor, and yet another person has a lethal Delaying Shield who can't pay white mana
>all while I only have Barren Glory on the field and an Armageddon in hand

This is how I will win. After that I will never play Magic again, because there is no way I would be able to top that victory.

That's clearly a troll, user

>playing Newlivia
>Drop late game Solemn
>Madness Malevolent Whispers
>Target player A's Kozilek
>Move to combat and attack player B
>Wait what? Oh counter that shit
>mfw

I made a stink about it and somehow I was the bad guy. I just packed up my shit.

No. Fuck no.
Please tell me you're dropping that playgroup. That's unforgivable.

assuming you gave pause in between each of those actions and didn't just say "steal kozilek and hit you", those guys are cunts

Fuck that. If they all consented and you moved to combat, that's a garbage group. Go find a new one, you'll be better off.

>Oloro, Ageless Autist
Unforgivable

Half of your decks are cancer and the other half are alright, I'm conflicted

Yea. I always pause because other shit like that has happens sometimes. Hell, I've learned to play certain combos slower and in a certain order because of "Oh, well counter that" screwing me over after they see the whole combo. This time, he even asked me what it did because it was the first time I used it. I told him it's just a threaten with Madness that gives +2/0, and that I was stealing Kozilek.

Wish I could. They're the only ones in the area, and I've been playing with them for a few years now.

Honestly, the group is fine. Sometimes, shit like this happens, and I was just not having any of it for other reasons.

Ulvenwald Mysteries in Jarad is fucking crazy

Kill them, use your katana to slice them in half like derevi stax does to other pretend decks

>Kill them, use your katana to slice them in half like derevi stax does to other pretend decks
I normally wouldn't support such drastic measures but quads don't lie.

>I have justify why I play a garbage commander that has no synergy with my deck

You are just thick skulled faggot incapable of reason. You're deck is shit and you can't handle the criticism. Put in effort and maybe your deck won't get its ass kicked by a $30 nekusar

Explanation:

Group Hug had on pic related on the field.

He also played Rainbow Veil and Thespien Stage (Rainbow Vale)

I tapped and sac'd both Rainbow Veils for cards and everyone got mad.

Dubs followed by Quads means you've got to do it OP.

Got it

That's fucking stupid on everyone else's part, tap and sac a land you don't get to keep for draw? Fuck yeah I would

That's what I thought. It was a 6 player game, everyone but me was a tournament usual. I was surprised they were flustered about it. Went through 2 or 3 people before it got to me.

It's a question of playgroups. In ours when hugs plays something like Rainbow Vale, or something that helps everybody in some way, we have a sort of gentlemen's agreement to let it last at least 1 time around the table before getting rid of it (unless it directly fuels somebody's win, like the mana doubling enchants can do).

Fuck that noise. Never indulge the group hug player.

I was the group hug player once. It was awful. That's not a fun style to play at all, you do pretty much nothing proactive

your close friend is a faggoli

Why not? He likes to bring it out after we've had a game or two of our competitive combo solitaire games to throw wrenches at us. Granted it's a Riku chaos-hugs thing with lots of targeted hugs, so he has a much more "proactive" style as you put it, things like Death by Dragons copied 4-5 times against you when you're about to win always makes you go "shit what do I do about this..."

MAXIMUM BUTTHURT ACHIEVED!!!!!

>Riku chaos-hugs
Absolutely disgusting

I mean he did pull the "I have a cheatyface behind every card in this deck" on us one time.

Posting this again.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/marchesa-counters-combos-1/

Looking to optimize a list before I commit to any purchases/trades. The goal is to be as competitive as possible while abusing unique Marchesa's abilities. Big impact early on; every play should have an effect.

From what I can tell, there's the aggro, stax, midrange, and combo builds. I'd prefer a cheaty midrange or combo build, but my current list might be spread too the between the two. Teysa already fills my stax role and aggro seems a bit flimsy, though I've not seen Marchesa aggro in action.

My meta is a bit varied but I'm mostly worried about Mono-blue control and Prossh. Budget's not too much of an issue, but have a back-up recommendation if you're suggesting anything over $80.

here's a win condition for you

Fug I just saw your maybeboard, my bad

Why is the bearer of heaven not legendary?
Is there some multiverse shit going on or does each god in Theros just have their own condo made of pixie dust with a giant manservant carting them around?

>oloro
>beacon of immortality
>like a dozen boardwipes
>serra avatar
>avacyn
>vizkopa guildmage
>esper ok stuff to fill in, mostly lifetouch/lifegain, counterspells and tutors

Rate me

>move to a different area
>nobody really plays commander here
>still collecting regardless of no one to play with
>go from one completed deck to three over the year

what do

i haven't played a legit game of paper commander in fucking forever, all the faggots here in orlando play nothing but standard or modern

i am JONESIN for some got dam magic

There was more than one in Greek myths tho.

If he was your commander, playing him means people stop attacking you. And you could always find a million ways to kill it yourself. Worldfire on legs.

6/10, it sounds like typical Esper crap, although that's still one of the stronger color combinations

Let's say I gain infinite life. What's your response? You do have an alternate win con right?

Okay. I was wondering if that was the case.

Worldfire on legs sounds like an edgy band. I bet the Bearer of Heavens would listen to edgy shit
>fucking gods making me carry around their piece of shit
>oh my god I just do this every day
>those fucking assfucks are lucky I don't just kill myself
>y-yeah, they'd be sorry when all their shit is fucked up
>I'll just murder everyone when I feel like it

test of endurance and the like

nth for help me art
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ramses-overdark-art-tribal/

Where ya move to user

I have that black god that says nobody else can gain life, and that card that reverts all life to 20.

Haven't played in a while, sorry

Because limited number of Legendaries per set.

Alpha or beta unholy strength

orlando, florida

there's card shops fucking everywhere here, but nobody brings or plays commander to any of them

And Felidar Sovereign and Vizkopa/Sanguine Bond/Exquisite Blood? I'm bored already, and downgrading you to a 5/10. Sorry bud, that's like babby's first infinite combo.

lol, that's because it's full of dirty cubans who steal anything that might be worth something.

nice trips

that wasn't the user whose deck we're talking about. I just spouted the first alt win-con that entered my mind when I saw oloro+beacon

I don't have exquisite blood and I don't know what Felidar Sovereign is.

I have some angel that attacks and gives me more turns though.

>"Great art"
No great MTG art list can be complete without Phil Foglio, user

If you came to west palm(the other shit hole) I'd help ya out.

Ebon Praetor

>$100-200
>krenko
your doing something wrong

No problem; appreciate the view. Really difficult for folks to even take a look at it, ha.

> Oloro player attacks me with Serra Avatar
> I flash Hornet nest into play.
> After a silent moment, "Fuck it, wrath."