MTG Legacy General

Time to discuss legacy!

Other urls found in this thread:

theepicstorm.com/#decklist
deckstats.net/decks/31256/274465-legacy-pox-/en
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

one should not speak of the dead, we are eternal master. format now.

is gamble lands the true final form of the lands deck ?

Is there much to discuss? Other than what your local meta is, every deck seems viable. Some staples are getting reprinted but the reserved list is still a problem. Umm.... Lands is fun.

Currently running:
Burn
Death & Taxes
Manaless Dredge

Hoping to build:
Aluren
Grixis Tezzeret

Hello, friends. I goldfished ANT with you guys yesterday. Today I wanted to try TES with you. I'm new to legacy, and not super experienced in magic in general. Looking for feedback on my mulligans, spell order and everything else.

I'm using theepicstorm.com/#decklist

Draw 7:
Volcanic Island
Brainstorm
Cabal Therapy
Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, LED
Infernal Tutor

I think it's risky, as I don't have black, but between my 2nd turn draw step and the brainstorm I can dig 4 deep and look for a land, hoping for the best? I decide to keep.

t1:
volcanic, go

t2:
Draw duress, cast brainstorm. Get Ponder, Polluted Delta, Polluted Delta off it. So I think I can make some big stuff happen next turn, I'll put Ponder and Polluted Delta on top, drop my other delta and crack it for underground sea. Cast duress off of sea, write everything down that I might need to keep in mind to cabal therapy for.

t3:
Draw dark ritual. Cast dark ritual off sea, Cabal therapy and make sure I'm good (BB), Dark Ritual (BBBB) LED, Rite of flame (BBBBRR) Infernal tutor and crack LED for black (5 black, 2 red) now I can grab

1) Ad Naus
2) Burning Wish into Tendrils for 16
3) Burning Wish or Infernal Tutor for Empty for 16 goblins, can flashback a cabal therapy from goblin sac if appropriate

I think I do 2 if it's lethal as my best choice. Otherwise 1 if 16 tendrils isn't lethal and I'm not about to die for a low life total. And option 3 if 16 tendrils isn't lethal and I'm about to die from life loss.

How is that?

Another 7:
Bloodstained Mire
Ponder, Brainstorm
Lotus Petal, Chrome Mox
Cabal Therapy
Infernal tutor

It's not explosive, but I have relevant cards and dig, so this is for sure a keep, right?

t1
Mire, crack for sea, ponder. Top 3 are LED, Mire, Mire. I think I don't shuffle here, top as Mire, LED, Mire, and draw Mire.

t2:
Draw the LED I kept there, drop Mire.

So with 2 lands, a brainstorm under mox, petal and LED I can infernal tutor for ad naus and be able to cast it this turn, but only if I don't cast cabal therapy. But I know I have a Mire on top, so I can just pass turn and go off t3 with Cabal Therapy as well. So I think it's best to pass here.

I think it's a pressure thing, like user said in the last thread. If I feel I NEED to go off this turn, I can either do it without Cabal Therapy, or try and pull a crazy brainstorm to do it now to replace my petal/mox with dark rituals, then infernal tutoring for Ad Naus. If it's not a pressure thing I pass, and go off next:

t3
Draw Mire. Play mire. Tap sea to cabal therapy. If I'm good to go off, then I can go crazy, otherwise I can brainstorm and crack a fetch. But lets say I'm good to go off:

Crack both mire, get sea and badlands. Chrome Mox and put brainstorm under it, lotus petal and LED all on field. Tap lands and play Infernal Tutor (I could go grab empty to make 14 goblins, but I assume ad naus is more relevant if I have the life total), crack LED for BBB, get Ad Naus from tutor. Sac petal and tap mox to cast ad naus. Delta, Rite of flame, Volcanic island, Cabal Therapy, Dark Ritual, Delta, Ponder, Petal, Ponder, Burning Wish, Probe, Dark Ritual, LED, Dark Ritual, brainstorm, rite of flame. So that's 12 life and I should be able to go off by playing LED and lotus petal. Saccing petal for R, rite of flame (RR), rite of flame (RRRR), Burning wish (RR), saccing LED for BBB and then using tendrils for like 26

Your feedback is appreciated.

One more for now.
Draw 7

Delta, Mire
Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual,
Infernal Tutor, Infernal Tutor,
Brainstorm.

snapkeep

t1
mire, go

t2:
Draw duress, sac mire for underground sea, brainstorm, draw ponder, mire, petal. So I think I can go off next turn with duress support. Put ponder on top, then petal on top of that. play delta

t3
draw petal, play mire. Tap sea to duress. If good, sac delta for badlands. Tap badlands for dark rit. Infernal tutor revealing dark rit. Dark rit, Dark Rit (BBBBB) lotus petal hellbent tutor, (BBB, petal, mire) for either empty (16 goblins) or Ad Naus, Will sac mire for sea to get mana to ad naus.

I'm just going to leave it there, and not go thru another ad naus with you. With 4 LED, 3 Petal, 3 Chrome mox and 4 Burning wish I assume I'll be able to go off. How often do you ad naus with this deck and not go off the same turn?

all lands decks should be running gamble

What is the legit cheapest legacy deck that can actually defeat some of the better decks at least 25% of the time?

eldrazi, followed by death & taxes

Dredge
> except for LED

The hate sucks, but the sb games are fun.

I'm playing reanimator, building junkblade. Group allows proxies so I can try anything.

Anyone here have experience making decent proxies for play testing? My current method is print them off my printer at home (it only does black & white) then cut them out and put over a sleeved draft-fodder common.

Anyone else a little disappointed in the how minimal the price drops have been with the reprints. These limited print runs suck

That's my method. It's been working well for me thus far. I wouldn't spend money to buy pro proxies. I shift a deck if I don't like it then keep it in those sleeves until I finish the deck.

Not real dredge even. Manaless dredge. Probably built mine for a total of 40 bucks. Though I still need to build a sideboard

I mean, I won 6 packs of EM from a legacy event playing dredge, so I'm happy.

I love manaless, but it dies too easily to hate. At least mana dredge can play through that hate with some annoyance.

Is Jund good right now? I really want to play it.

Shardless BUG is a beautiful deck that I will never get to play

Is there a reason to go Grixis Tezz over UB? I'm only just getting in to legacy so I don't know the metagame too well but Dack Fayden doesn't really seem worth it over JtMS. His ult does nothing, his looting seems worse than brainstorming and as far as I'm aware the only artifacts worth stealing aside from everything in affinity would be aether vials as you can't steal a divining top at sorcery speed unless your opponent doesn't know how to play. Daretti seems kind of neat though, if that could see play.

Jace and Ensnaring bridge seem like a nonbo.

I suppose but so is Tezz's ability to make 5/5s

You should goldfish doomsday next m8 ;)

I think you go for Ad naus here. You'll have RB floating and stand a good chance to get something like rite, petal, wish, led and just get a tendrils kill on the spot.

the set isn't out yet. Nothing that actually needs to drop will drop, but 10-20 dollar cards that have one printing and see play in one deck will probably take a nice hit

Can't you just get wish into past in flames if life is an issue? You have double rit and tutor in the grave, no way you don't kill them. No reason you should empty the warrens with that hand.

My bad, you can't wish into it you'd have to play it maindeck. Which you should be doing.

I am dissappointed in no Imperial Recruiter, which was the one thing I really wanted.

TES != ANT. It's much more reliant on ad nauseam and empty the warrens. You don want pif main because it's another high cmc card to fuck your ad naus up. Most games with tes you're aiming for an early empty for 12-16 goblins rather than a straight tendrils kill.

You can get it for about $150 total through ChinaMan, cost including shipping and sleeves.

Playing: Grixis Delver

Building: Imperial Painter

Next Purchase: 2 more german pyroblasts

Right now my favorite card in Painter is a Russian Jaya Ballard. Looks sweet, wins games.

Shardless is a pile of powerful cards, but it isn't a powerful deck.

Been playing dredge, kind of a bit more old school and combo oriented
I was playing ANT but sold it to get through college
I also have cards to make Oops which i love to play to mess with people
Dredge still holds a special place in my heart though, it's always going to be my favorite legacy deck. People I know taught me to play it as I was growing up and I finally was able to put it together

See retards typing retarded shit like this is why the Veeky Forums is bad at magic meme exists.

Currently the 2nd most represented deck, listed in "decks to beat" by thesource, consistent results in paper magic

But it's not a "powerful deck" it's just a pile of powerful cards abloo bloo bloo. Shove it up your ugly ass.

I fell for the bait because someone didn't like my deck - The Post

So GP Prague this weekend. After playing Goblins for quite some time and trying TES, I will play Grixis Delver/4C Delver this time. Buut... not sure about Grixis or 4C yet. I really want to play 2 Decay main because of all the Leldrazi and their Chalices, but that means adding another land. Thus, I lose 3 slots and therefore don't play Stifles and only 1 Therapy main. Should I cut Spell Pierce//Forked Bolt instead?

I run 18 lands with the 2 decay package. I don't like therapy MD right now, too many fair decks

Gleeborp

Rate my loam pox list
deckstats.net/decks/31256/274465-legacy-pox-/en

There's two sinkholes as filler, one is supposed to be tabernacle and the other any one of.

>tfw too poorfor tabernacle ;-;

Playing MUD Forgemaster, feels good slamming T1 Chalices and Trinispheres. Been testing 4 Crystal Vein to help consistently hit T1 Monoliths and Chalices on 1, but it feels really weak to countermagic.

Why not just play Eldrazi? It's just better.

I like Metalworker decks, and being able to Forgemaster for SB cards in G2, especially Platinum Angel vs combo decks with no removal. I sold out of Modern during the Eldrazi Winter and I'm just sick of it
Are Tezzerator decks fun?

In all seriousness... I hate dredge. SO much, I run 4 rest in peace in SB just to hate them out. I play miracles btw.

How is legacy affinity?
I was composing a modern affinity deck only to realize a legacy one is cheaper.
Also is Stoneforge ravager affinity a thing?

What is everyones opinion on Julian Knab's Chaos Elves list? For the uninformed, its basically Legacy Elves without Natural Order. It trades some of its combo potential for resilience and mid/late game playability. I can still combo out and draw my entire deck turn 3/4 pretty easily, while being able to get out of most locks much more easily than normal elvs.

>How is legacy affinity?
Legacy Affinity is Tier 4

>Also is Stoneforge ravager affinity a thing?
Yes

Planning on building Burn.
Goblin Guides, Eidolons and Fetches are currently off the table for me, so how is this for a budget list?

4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Keldon Marauders
2 Sulfuric Vortex
4 Fireblast
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Price of Progress
3 Searing Blood
4 Chain Lightning
4 Flame Rift
4 Lava Spike
4 Rift Bolt
19 Mountain

Since I'm not running fetches I didn't include Grim Lavamancer and Searing Blaze. Searing Blood seems like a nice alternative for Blaze, thought I'm not sure if I should run in the the main board.

Not sure on the sideboard yet, but thought of something along these lines:
4 Faerie Macabre
3 Pyrostatic Pillar
3 Smash To Smithereens
3 Pyroblast
2 Volcanic Fallout

Maybe switch something for Exquisite Firecraft.

Eidolon is literally the card that pushed Burn into tier 1 in Modern and made it relevant in Legacy, and Goblin Guide is the most aggressive 1 drop ever printed. So your deck is VERY suboptimal desu senpai.

Yes, I realize the lack of Eidolon weakens the deck dramatically. Guess there's no alternative other than saving up for a playset.

I played it, I thought it was pretty goofy and it only gets goofier as he changes things (he's playing Jitte and Winter Orb now). Natural Order is where it's at. Just because you board it out a lot doesn't mean it's not one of the best cards in the deck.

with entomb you may want to consider darkblast as a one of

also look at your list again you might want to think about Cabal Pit or Pernicious Deed, and I would replace one urborg and one swamp for fetches

I'm also not a big fan of the one of stage dapths in there with two crops, I would just replace those with a fourth factory and fill either discard or removal for the last three, depending on what your meta calls for

Does anyone know if Eternal Masters is going to have a garaunteed foil in each pack?

It does.

General question though, what's your least favorite tier 1 deck? Mine's Shardless, feels worse than bug delver to me. I'd rather play anything else really.

They do.

Eldrazi and Shardless are both that for me. Of all the tier 1 decks, they're the ones I'm happiest to be paired against

Can anyone weight in on Zombie Bombardment? Id like to make it my first legacy deck and it looks fun. It seems resilient and flexible, but im not sure what the whole meta looks like with it.

That deck is like T3-T4. Don't spend your money buying into legacy with a wacky deck that isn't at least Tier 2 or so, you'll only be disappointed and find yourself wanting to switch decks ASAP.

Fuck off, manabase is expensive in both of those.

Probably under radar rogue decks are the best bet so far as the cheap decks go. Such as goblins and burn.

Say stupid shit
>It was bait

Whatever, Veeky Forums is cancer of internet. Right alongside with mtgsalvation.

I posted that. I firmly believe that representation is not directly correlated with how powerful a deck is. Shardless may not be a bad deck, but going into a field blind it would not make the short list of decks I would consider

Yeah we're different people. I was just making fun of you.

Plus I agree with the guy who said shardless is sketchy. Not being able to effectively play cheap counterspells is rough these days.

I have the thespian stage combo to beat linear decks like burn. I already have the deck in paper. I can't go back I foiled those lands out already famalan ;-;. Probably will get a Cabal pit doe.

Appreciate the feedback. Anyone else have feedback on those run thrus I posted?

Sure let me read them
In this one, adnauseam with no floating mana is a bit sketchy. You need to get red mana, wish and enough black to cast tendrils, so you need like LED LED petal rite wish, or LED rite rote petal wish I'd lean towards the gobs if I thought my opponent couldn't deal. Ad naus has a high probability of working I guess but since you've seen their hand you can judge what to do.

What is top tier then ?

Most would sat Miracles, eldrazi stompy, shardless bug, storm, sneak and show, dnt, lands. something like that. There are tons of very viable legacy decks but zombardment was a flash in the pan.

Dude it is really good. If your opponent hasn't gone against it omfg will it wreck any delver deck.

What is the best color combination for goblins? R/W or B/R or just R? I have been out of legacy for a year because no one plays around where I live and was going to play on magic online

Br with earwig squad in a more stompy-style list. Just play thorn in the sideboard

Speaking of miracles, I'm fresh out of modern after tearing up the place with eldrazi and I plan to move into legacy. Miracles appeals to me and I wanted to ask how likely part of it will be axed. I understand legacy is much more stable in regard to bans but I'm looking at the numbers and top control is nearly 20%. Nothing to worry about?

I wouldn't worry about it. If you're looking at the MODO metagame, that shit is heavily, heavily warped due to the inaccessibility of Rishadan Port. The price of that card on MODO means far, far fewer players are on Lands and D&T compared to paper.

Good info. Thank man.

Legacy isn't a format where you see bans very often. Miracles may be the best deck, but it's neither unbeatable nor dominant.

If enough people whine, a counterbalance ban is not outside the realm of possibility

>tfw a digital card, Rishadan Port, is 200+ dollars on mtgo
>shot up about 50 bucks since it wan't reprinted

Without it, I can't play Lands. Fucking hell.

Stompy style?

If you're looking for most powerful in an open metagame, I'd say Miracles, Grixis/BUG Delver, Lands, Death and Taxes, Elves, Sneak and Show or ANT.

Btw miracles appeals to many. Make sure to proxy it and keep playing it, to see if you enjoy it. I played it for a while and though it was a good deck, I found it extremely boring to play. The charm of controling the whole game wears off after you realize most games will go to time.

There's a tourney coming up, so it might be worth revisiting the question after that. But probably nothing will change.

While the deck is absurdly over-represented, and has silly efficient tools in it's box, it's not THAT gamebreaking and actually helps keep the format cleaner than it would be without Miracles.

Anyone playing enchantress?
Any secret tech?

i'm not going to play d&t on modo because of this, which means i'm just not going to play modo. not worth. luckily cardhoarder was more than happy to cut me a four-figure check for my modo collection.

I have indeed begun to notice that while play testing. It's simply not aggressive enough for my taste. However, it is the most cost effective entry point and I'm that foolish sort that has to learn by stepping in it first. So damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!

If you don't have enough money to make a legacy deck you will enjoy. I recommend abandoning miracles and build a deck you will Enjoy even if you won't finish it as quickly

If you want a more aggro bent, why not try D&T or Eldrazi? They're both quite a bit cheaper than decks that run duals.

Legacy for Most people is a love format. (people usually stick to one deck). Which is what makes it the best format imo. Lots of viable decks with all sorts of win conditions. Make sure to choose wisely

Thanks a lot gents. I will give this more consideration.

if burn is a problem in your meta, spinning darkness in the board helps a lot

it's good in other matchups too

I mean a chalice of the void deck with ancient tomb. Cavern Of souls will let you cast your gobbos through chalice at any amount and ancient Tomb will let you power out earwig squad on turn two to take the wind out of combo's sails. You'll need stingscourger to beat sneak and show.

Is fluctuator combo a real deck?

inb4 you lose to your dredge opponent slamming Helm of Obedience

Miracles was only oppressive with DTT, now that its gone, the deck has 50/50 at best against most fair decks. No way is it going to get banned, the deck keeps a lot of the really degenerate stuff in check.

What feeling is better than t1 blood moon on the play?

>only 50% at best against most fair decks
Lol no.

Marit lage t1

>Lands, Elves
>t1
lol no

How do you feel about a Mishra's Factory in Death and Taxes

I run one. I like it.

Lands is heavily favored against most, if not all, creature based decks. Miracles is pretty 50/50. Outside of storm and turbo moon, has no awful matchups.

Chaos Elves is pretty good against most fair decks, and can race many unfair decks