Alright guys, I'm in need of some advice

Alright guys, I'm in need of some advice.

A close friend of mine is DMing a Witcher PNP RPG for me and two other guys, although one of them has been absent thus far.
First session went by relatively smoothly, at least I thought so, but at the end of the 2nd session I got into a pretty big argument with the DM over my character.
I'd made it very clear from the start that I wanted to make an assassin type character, but I didn't want him to be an actual fighter. I wanted him to be the kind of guy that sneaked into peoples' houses and cut their throats in their sleep, poisoned their drinks, or tricked people into dying in some other way. In other words, someone who kills, but doesn't fight.
I knew from the start that the DM wasn't exactly thrilled with this concept, but I'd misunderstood why. I thought he was just against me not having any combat skills, because he asked me multiple times if I was sure I didn't want to increase my Armed Combat score. (Due to all my previous characters being melee combatants, I vehemently refused this. I was, and still am, sick of it.)
But no, as I came to discover, he was very much against me playing such a clearly evil character. At the end of the 2nd session, he complained that I had just gone along with, and even helped further, the villains' plans by killing five guardsmen in the city we were in.
And it's not like I can't understand why this is frustrating for him. He clearly had something planned, and both me and the other guy - who, by the way, is generally passive when it comes to decisions, so he just follows me around and helps me out - are doing the exact opposite of what he wants us to do. He makes is fairly clear, at least usually, what we're supposed to be doing, but I have no in-character to go along with it.

Any advice, Veeky Forums? DM still intends on continuing, but I don't know what good will come of it if he dislikes the characters as much as he does. It was fairly obvious he wasn't enjoying that session all that much.

Other urls found in this thread:

megafileupload.com/b6rf/Raw_translation,_pages_1-131.doc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Another thing: I don't understand why he would allow me to play this character if he was going to take issue with me basically doing exactly what I told him I was going to do.
He knew what my character was like, or so I thought, so I don't understand why he was surprised by my actions.
I'm guessing this is a case of miscommunication, but I don't want to give up on this character, and he doesn't want to give up on his chronicle/story.

>Play a setting in which primary characters are all involved in hunting monsters, killing people and generally getting in to fights
>Create a PC that wildly differs from what is expected of Witchers and what they do
>DM goes along a little bit while strongly suggesting you do things that will make your character stronger and more able to survive
>Create the character anyways against DM's subtle wishes and make him lolevil and retarded.
>Kill Guards in a city you were in and expect to get away wiht it.

My advice to you is to fuck off, leave the session. This thread is bait.

My character isn't a Witcher.
And like I said, I made it very clear to the DM what my character was like before the first session. We even went through the process of how I accept new jobs and get payment through a third party, just so we were both aware of how it would be handled in gameplay.

I should also say that this isn't my first time running Witcher with this DM, and something similar to this has happened before, but he was far more relaxed about it. (As in, the players joining the villains temporarily) I imagine that was because there was a generally relaxed atmosphere during those sessions and we weren't taking it quite as seriously as we, or at least the DM and I, are right now.

Here is how I would do it if I were the DM:
You want to kill innocent people, murder guards, and be a public enemy? Fine. But slowly, you will begin to have bounties placed on you, and there will be many after your head. Sooner or later, you'll be forced into a cell, or killed on the street outright unless you have the cunning to deal with the consequences of your actions. This means things like not being seen in public, using underground network of criminals such as yourself (who will take chances to backstab you) and living the life of a wanted criminal who is constantly on the run.

You slip up once, and someone will rob you, backstab you, set you up, sell you out to the guards, ect. You play your cards right, and you'll be living the life of an edgy assassin that you dreamed of.

This is how I DM. I let my players do whatever they want, and give them the consequences.

Also, I should add that the character you posted, OP, looks like a combatant. I take it you didn't take the time to pick out a picture that goes with the character you had in mind, because that guy looks like he's armed to the teeth and does a lot of fighting. Not the type of guy who keeps his nose out of combat.

That's what I was hoping for/expecting.
I've been using a disguise and a fake name for my guy's "on-the-job" persona, among other things.

Long story short, the character was remade from a prior game I had with the same DM that got scrapped after a few sessions. That's the picture I used for the first version, I just kept it for "nostalgia"'s sake.
Just imagine that instead of armor and a cape, he has a dark robe. Generic thief appearance, basically.

You are a child who burns out DMs and tries his best to get his own way regardless of how it impacts the game amd those around him. Your parents failed in raising you as you are unable to accept or see the assumed polite manner in which the DM has suggested you change your character.

All you see is another obstacle you must overcome as you shoehorn a build and conept that does fit, nor does he want ,in his game. Leave the game and it's people, they probably have no small amount of disdain for you but are too well mannered to tell you bluntly.

OP did nothing wrong. You're just full of shit. See for how a real DM runs.

You don't actually make a ton of Witchers in the P&P.
It's a generally 1 per party thing.

OP has created a shit load of work, I am not saying that a skillful and extremely patient DM could deal with his snowflake largely useless character that kills people out of combat, but the DM should not have to deal with extra workload.

Then do something more suitable and conductive to a smooth campaign, a bard, merc, or a more conventional criminal.

We made the character together and he OK'd it.
And there are plenty of ways in which my character can be useful.
He's already saved the life of the other party member once.
>Great mobility, good for recon
>Alchemist, can make poisons and potions
>The richest party member, can buy supplies for the poor-as-dirt Witcher
>Extremely stealthy, can infiltrate most places undetected
>Can pick locks and disarm traps
He's a support character, not a frontline fighter.

Also, I'm just going to say it; assassins may get a bad rap (Geralt himself can get pretty high and mighty about them), but I think of a shitload of people in the Northern Kingdoms who definitely could use a good killing to straighten them out a bit.

>I got into a pretty big argument with the DM over my character.
You may of okayed it, but as you've said here, there are arguments over your character from the DM, seems to be he is not OK with it.

>I knew from the start that the DM wasn't exactly thrilled with this concept
Again, not thrilled, not happy, not liking it, therefore not wanting it in his game.

>I thought he was just against me not having any combat skills, because he asked me multiple times if I was sure I didn't want to increase my Armed Combat score.
He tries to work with your shit, suggesting ways to make him see more of the game and be part of it, no doubt you are the kind to make an obsecure fuckwit character with a very narrow skillset then bitch and cry when you are of no use to anybody.

>Due to all my previous characters being melee combatants, I vehemently refused this. I was, and still am, sick of it.
So what you are saying is, you build your game around me. I am going to make this character and if he does not fit your game, tough shit, you will have to move the game around so he works.

>Cont

>But no, as I came to discover, he was very much against me playing such a clearly evil character. At the end of the 2nd session, he complained that I had just gone along with, and even helped further, the villains' plans by killing five guardsmen in the city we were in.
Very much against you playing this 'tard character, yet you vehemntly refused to play anything else, even going so far as to kill guardsman and go along with the BBEGs shit.

>And it's not like I can't understand why this is frustrating for him. He clearly had something planned, and both me and the other guy are doing the exact opposite of what he wants us to do. He makes is fairly clear, at least usually, what we're supposed to be doing,
So you are clearly aware that he does not like this shit but you keep doing it? What is worse you know this and are doing the exact opposite of what he hopes you will do?

>but I have no in-character to go along with it.
No shit Sherlock. Didn't need Witcher Sight to work that out.

How are we even passively allowing this behavior?

>He tries to work with your shit, suggesting ways to make him see more of the game and be part of it, no doubt you are the kind to make an obsecure fuckwit character with a very narrow skillset then bitch and cry when you are of no use to anybody.
No, the reason he wanted me to have better combat skills was because we needed at least one character with good combat.
DM balances his stuff around how his party turns out and improvises a lot, so if I made my character absurdly good at fighting, he'd have just made the encounters harder. I'm speaking from experience here.
Also, if you're a melee character in Witcher PnP, you're going to die. Unless the game is extremely watered down and casualized, or you're just ABSURDLY lucky, you're going to die. It's that deadly.
Case in point, my Witcher character from a previous story died FOUR TIMES. Time travel made that possible.
Case in point number two, the actual Witcher of this story almost died in the first session and only survived because I made a potion for him and an NPC was treating him.
You are not meant to get into fights often in the Witcher PnP, so I made a character that does not get into fights. I even gave him high dodge and movement skills so he could flee from battles easily.

>You vehemently refused to play anything else
No, I vehemently refused to play a melee character. I had plenty of other character ideas I could have gone with, if DM had said that this character was a no-go. Don't put words in my mouth.

>So you are clearly aware that he does not like this shit but you keep doing it?
You're right, my assassin character should have just turned that extremely lucrative job offer from people that had proven to be reliable and useful allies.
That shit would be metagaming.

And let me make one thing clear: before the game started, he never once voiced concerns about me playing an obviously morally questionable character. He only talked about how he was worried about my stat allocation.

>No, the reason he wanted me to have better combat skills was because we needed at least one character with good combat.

So even characters dedicated to combat have a strong chance of dying but you thought you knew better and composed a party of not a single combat character in a game where the DM had suggested that you get some combat skills? Again this is a subtle hint at what to expect.

>And let me make one thing clear: before the game started, he never once voiced concerns about me playing an obviously morally questionable character. He only talked about how he was worried about my stat allocation.

You are changing your story as you go.

>I knew from the start that the DM wasn't exactly thrilled with this concept.

You're full of shit, your character is shit and you argument is shit. You came to ask us because your friends are fed up with your bullshit.

My honest advice is to stop being That Guy before you piss off and burn out your DM. Easy, right?

No, like I just said in the post you're replying to, we do have a Witcher in our party.

No, I'm adding a detail that seemed irrelevant at first.

If you think I'm being That Guy because I made a character our DM doesn't like, you have extremely low standards regarding what a That Guy acts like.

not him but if you're following what he says then it makes sense, all this other stuff you're assuming/implying/straight up guessing? I dunno, to me at least his points are pretty clear.

OP, I would have tried to be suspicious, find out motives if I caught wind of anything fishy, unless your character is very greedy, he could probably know enough to not want blowback of something big on him, or something like that. I don't know your situation but if he's a professional killer i'm guessing he'd want to be safe.

Should've just got a crossbow and uses that as your weapon.
Crossbows are fucking dope in Witcher.
Big badass monster mostly invulnerable to shit that isn't silver? Fire a crossbow bolt up his ass and watch him drop like a stone.

That could work. If my guy got suspicious of them and wanted to stay safe.
Yeah, he already has reason to be at least somewhat suspicious of them. Gonna try that out next session, see where that leads us.
Thanks mate.

also watch for double crossing, those who don't do it first often get it done to them last. its really bass-ackwards too but if you gotta do it then it has to be a literal 100% certainty nobody else knows. Just my two cents though. Care to link the name of the game? Googling witcher PnP didnt give me promising results and I'm kinda interested.
Enjoy your game, man!

I'll be careful, and thanks.
I'm pretty sure it's just called "The Witcher". It's only fully released in Polish as far as I'm aware, DM actually came across it on Veeky Forums back when there was a thread about it.
This is all I've got.
megafileupload.com/b6rf/Raw_translation,_pages_1-131.doc

Talk with me about it instead of asking Veeky Forums
You might have forgotten but before the game, I asked you several times about your character's background so that he'd have some grounding in the world other than "man who gets paid money to kill others and doesn't ask questions even when the supposed reason for his employer to have these guys killed doesn't make much sense"
Your character having no conscience and only caring about money to the point where you even try to squeeze money out of your fellow player wouldn't be so bad if you at least stopped to think about why the man that had razed an entire village with his merry band of dressed-up thugs would want you to kill the local law enforcement with a shoddy excuse like "they are actually soldiers from the neighbouring kingdom about to start a massacre"
I was planning on having the thugs come invite you over to a warehouse for a drink only to have them reveal that they were actually there to kill you and take their money back since their leader, after having to send his own guys out to incite terror, thought you weren't really worth the investment anyway. This would have further shown you that you had been dealing with a guy that was quite clearly unhinged and in no way sane.
However, since you'd rather go on a Korean basketweaving forum in the middle of the night and ask for help from strangers instead of talking with me about it like a real human being and considering the fact that, all things considered, everything that has been going wrong with the game, and previous games to some extent, has been because of you, I'm throwing you out.
Yes, I am an ass, an oaf and a twat but I am also, quite frankly, tired of your shit.

Huh, I thought you'd stopped browsing Veeky Forums.
Let's take this to Skype or something instead then, no point in trying to get advice from strangers if you're just going to see it anyway.
The reason I asked here instead of just talking to you about it was because I wanted to hear from someone else what, if anything, I'd done wrong.

>Previous games
Vladik was great and did nothing wrong. I will maintain this to the day I die.

again not him, but is he really enough of a problem player to not reform? I don't know the situation so forgive me if I overstep, but he took a bit of advice when he seemed fairly confused about something. Whether that was true or not though I guess isn't clear at this point though.
I DM a lot (only DM) and I've redeemed a few problem players similar to him, and again, I don't know the situation, but maybe he thought that going to a neutral party to help solve an issue of his (since at this point it does seem like his issue, not yours, if that makes sense?) would be the correct move to try and smooth things over?
pic unrelated

Wew

I called it this at the beggining of the thread!

You are a classy gentleman.

Choťe šeci do piče

Well done Sir, you have saved yourself untold volumes of fuckwittery from the man you have barred.