BLUE AND ORANGE MORALITY

So I want to make a character that has a moral/ethical system based off of something other than good/evil or lawful/chaotic.
What could I do to make this happen?

I need a metric, no matter how absurd by which to measure actions without falling into the pit of murderhobo or annoying. I understand its kind of a vague question but I want to play something alien in a stars without numbers game and I need an alien or at least radically strange decision making process.

Optional Hard mode: something that does not often work to hinder the group, I'd like it to be a strange but welcome guest to the party.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/DesignAnAlienMind
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Sacred animals
You are a priest of a god who has an animal that he deems holy and sacred (cats, cows etc).Every action is weighted on how it affects the local population of this animal.

I feel it, so good or bad idea: The sacred animal is wildly dangerous/monstrous

Play something that's part of a hive-mind. That serves as only a single "cell" of the population that makes up the total "brain". The character can still form opinions and such of it's own, but when it comes time to act it will always act based on the consensus of the rest of the hive mind. A single brain cell contributes to thinking, but it doesn't dominate thought.

>i want to appear intellectual
>but i'm actually clueless
>help me fake it tg

I love Magic Pill threads!
Carry on.

I always replace the aligbment chart with Selfish/Selfless and Utilitarian/Epicurean

Does a fantastic job of making my players shut up about alignment.

>blue and orange
So, cinematic?

If OP's still here, the way Elves were handled in Dwarf Fortress might be something to take inspiration from. Perfectly fine with eating enemies and fallen allies in combat, but take offense if you try to sell them wood.

And since OP doesn't seem to mind TV Tropes, this might give some tips" tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/SoYouWantTo/DesignAnAlienMind

Or maybe Sanic and Tals.

Perhaps OP can use a moral code entirely built around going fast and being way past cool.

>I want to play something alien in a stars without numbers game
So a space opera setting? That gives some good options. For general advice, think of what sort of behavior could result in a stable society, or at least one that expands fast enough to survive. You could look to nature for inspiration, research the ways animals behave instinctually and try to think of a perspective that a sapient mind could have that would make those actions seem normal.

nah senpai, i want to do something new. dont you ever want to do something new?

Thanks for the resource
will do

But that's literally what he said.

k

You could just go for Truth vs Untruth as a sort of logical asshole deal.

>If we do not take their fuel, we will die. That is our Truth. They must die so that we can live

>Deceiving these sapients would be to spread Untruth. The Truth is that we must take their goods and give little or nothing in return.
>If we harm them, there will be consequences as our actions will be known in this system. That, too, is Truth.
>Therefore, we must make the Truth understood to them. That which they possess must be peacefully rendered onto us.
>Their claim to these goods is Untruth, our need is greater than theirs. It will become ours, that is Truth.

Aesthetics, whats is beautiful and/or cool looking is good what is ugly or lame is bad.

Why don't you just make it a literal Blue and Orange morality?

Blue is his "good" and "holy". He worships water and the sky, uses blue magic-based attacks, and always wears as much blue as he can.

Anything orange is his "evil", use orange as an insult, and he will always try to kill anything orange.

Then one day, he finds he's been out in the Sun too long, and finds his Skin to be badly sun-burned into a shade of Orange. He questions his whole life and his destiny frantically.

For a whole race of these color-coded lunatics? That might be a bit different to handle.

This made me laff and i kind of want to try it now

Your race believes that good karma works like blackjack. You want to increase your karma, and then die when you have JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT. After that, it's fucking pointless, who cares? You're going to hell. But before then is also bad, because it's not the best possible heaven you could get. but when you're just right, then oh baby kill yourself right then, 100% of the time. If you see someone else who is "just right", then you're obligated to kill them as well, to get them that sweet-sweet heavenly jackpot.

Now, how is Karma accrued? Not in the traditional "do good deeds" sense. There's a long list of things that increase your karma, such as
>taking a step
>eating meat
>afternoons
>seeing a cat
>spitting on the ground every time someone else initiated eye-contact
etc.

Make up a list of these beforehand, but feel free to make new ones up as you go along. They're all "things to do", none of them are "things to avoid". Your Karma only increases. and when you hit that magic number (which you obviously never state, just decide when) you have to kill yourself. Maybe that doesn't happen during the campaign!

Meanwhile, you're constantly evaluating other people's life choices to try and guess what Karma points they're at, and if they deserve death yet or not. Remember, if someone's over the limit (a marathon runner has a lot of steps) then you're obligated to just kill them because there's literally no point in them living a single second longer.

The future must be protected at all costs, so children, pregnant women, teachers, and parents/guardians come first, then infrastructure and and knowledge (universities and libraries).
The enemy is any entity or organisation whose aims or goals involve endangering the above.

that's not so different from real life though, innit? Women and children first and all that? We already protect the weak and vulnerable.

Isn't that basically how that weird religion worked in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? And everyone knew it was a phony belief but they followed it anyway?

That's a nice idea. Would make sense for a short-lived race that reproduces rapidly. Life's too short to waste it caring about individuals at the expense of the group, so you might as well plan for a better tomorrow.

To have this kind of discussion you have to understand that D&D "Good" and social good is a grab-bag of different interests. Yes, that's one of them, planning for the future is a value most cultures share, but if you really zero in on it and make it the central axis it's kinda interesting.

Like, most societies (just not the U.S.) value the elderly and see it as a semi-sacred duty to care for them because they've earned it. A future-aligned society would use old people for compost once they couldn't work anymore.

I think it would carry over to an individual level too, saving money is always better than spending it, security is always more important than fun, etc.

I understand destination-addition very well because I'm someone who has to overcome it in order to be happy. It's very easy for me to ONLY think about tomorrow and ONLY think about things I haven't achieved yet, but happiness isn't there, happiness is here and now and if I look to the future too much I'll miss it. So I'm whatever the other side is. Present-aligned.

Veeky Forums still posts the funniest images.

this is an interesting idea, but i think taking a step as an example is way to common. Otherwise cool.

I'm totally stealing this for...SOMETHING, I dunno. But I'm stealing it.

I'll probably include some form of demerits, but it'd be stuff that no one in their right mind would do if they're trying to follow this system to begin with.

>I want to do something to subvert a trope
>not because I have an interesting idea for it, I'm just being contrarian
Don't bother, it's going implemented like shit anyway.

it's not focused enough, they should be the first thing you think about, to save your self when sacrifice would have directly protected children is absolutely abhorent.

that's an angle I hadn't considered, I was thinking long-lived races like Elves as each child is rarer and more precious to society.

Profit/expense.

>I feel it
sacred animal confirmed for crabs
now to make a high CHA druid and spread the love

>Remember, if someone's over the limit (a marathon runner has a lot of steps) then you're obligated to just kill them because there's literally no point in them living a single second longer.
Why not? If anything, they'd want to prolong not going to hell, for as long as they could. The rest works pretty well though.

But OP's not subverting a trope. He's looking to utilize the trope specifically.

Check out some stuff on Buddhism and Confucianism which seem to run on axes of "balanced/not balanced" and "proper/not proper" respectively.

The Judaeo-christian belief system is built on the idea that what is right, legitimate, and good is handed down by a god (or at least the church/scripture). With any belief you have to define what is ultimately desirable (pleasing god, achieving enlightenment, respecting your elders, aligning the magic crystals, whatever) and then all morality flows from that. A character with alien morality axis merely has to value something besides the typical values you associate with pleasing the god of Abraham.

That still sounds close to lawful neutral.

It's a retarded TV Tropes thing

So make a character based on pic related, then?

Try Taoist vs Buddhist vs Confucianism.

Or B/D/s/m.
Are you the rigger, who ties up foes metaphorically rather than physically, and ensnares your allies and enemies in convoluted knots of control and allowance? Are you the penitant, allowing yourself to be roped into situations and following the leads given?

Are you the Dominant who commands, controls, studies, learns, teaches and disciplines? Are you the submissive who plots, schemes, entices, teases, follows, and allows yourself to be lead?

Are you the Sadist, who punishes, practices your cruelties, controls, threatens, coajoles, and blackmails others, impatient and forthright? Are you the masochist who pleads, worships, adores, is patient and understanding, accepting, subtle and unbreakable?

Yeah, I fucking went there.

Work out a chart.

You can't fail with the borg.

It's pretty close to this:
Except it's just assimilation.
All that is not like us is negative.
All that is us is positive.
Therefore to achieve maximum positive moral value, everything must be us.

If you want something true retard, try the carnivore-vegan spectrum of morality.

The more you lean towards carnivore, the more meat you try to create. The more you lean towards vegan, the more you want to prevent the creation of meat.

For example, a lawful carnivore would kill some hobo to create meat, but not a butcher as killing a butcher would prevent the creation of more meat. On the other hand a lawful vegan would kill a butcher but not some random hobo.

TV tropes is retarded, but blue and orange simply work because they're opposite colors on the color wheel. It's the easierst and laziest way to create visual contrast. It's pure color theory. The same could be done with yellow and purple but blue and orange creates a more striking contrast.

Hell, we even see this in old vidya: blue are the good guys, red/orange the bad guys. This is also helped by the psychological effects these colors have (blue is calming, which is why blue light is used on Japanese train stations where suicide is common. On the other hand, red is often seen as an agressive color).

tl;dr: Even a broken clock is right twice a day, by pure accident.

I designed an industrialized human culture that worked pretty much like this. Only parents had a vote, as they're the only ones indefinitely invested in the future, but they all have an equal vote and the ability to withdraw and re-vote at any time. Government is technically the council formed by every parent, with ad-hoc representatives with votes of confidence from most parents doing the governing.

Sounds slightly exotic but not alien.

So, basically a Happy Happyist cultist from Earthbound?