/hwg/ - Historical Wargames General

Brandy Station Edition

Previous thread: Get in here, post games, miniatures, questions, whatever you like.

List of mini providers:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uGaaOSvSTqpwPGAvLPY3B5M2WYppDhzXdjwMpqRxo9M/edit

List of Historical Tactical, Strategic, and Military Drill treatises:
pastebin.com/BfMeGd6R

ZunTsu Gameboxes:
mediafire.com/folder/yaokao3h1o4og/ZunTsu_GameBoxes

/hwg/ Steam Group:
steamcommunity.com/groups/tghwg/

Games, Ospreys & References folders:
mediafire.com/folder/lu95l5mgg06d5/Ancient
mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
mediafire.com/folder/w6m41ma3co51e/Horse_and_Musket
mediafire.com/folder/vh1uqv8gipzo1/Napoleonic
mediafire.com/folder/bbpscr0dam7iy/ACW
mediafire.com/folder/bvdtt01gh105d/Victorian
mediafire.com/folder/b35x147vmc6sg/World_War_One
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War
mediafire.com/folder/7n3mcn9hlgl1t/Modern

mediafire.com/folder/8tatre3vd10yv/Avalon_Hill
mediafire.com/folder/pq6ckzqo3g6e6/Field_Of_Glory
mediafire.com/folder/r2mff8tnl8bjy/GDW
mediafire.com/folder/whmbo8ii2evqh//SPI
mediafire.com/folder/ws6yi58d2oacc/Strategy_&_Tactics_Magazine
mediafire.com/folder/lx05hfgbic6b8/Naval_Wargaming
mediafire.com/folder/s1am77aldi1as/Wargames

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ
mediafire.com/download/cuk2fqu8oxo3d6r/Osprey - CAM 201 - Brandy Station 1863.pdf
mediafire.com/download/mn7xvug6w9y6c0z/Osprey - CBT 012 - Confederate Cavalryman vs Union Cavalryman 1861-5(2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/8areha9rf4rhro6/Osprey - WAR 013 - Union Cavalryman 1861-65.pdf
mediafire.com/download/c1m51hgyaebvadg/Osprey - WAR 054 - Confederate Cavalryman 1861-65.pdf
bbc.com/future/story/20160603-the-strange-tanks-that-helped-win-d-day
mediafire.com/download/24pi29m46t08edl/Osprey - VAN 100 - British Mark I Tank 1916.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Wargaming Compendium
mediafire.com/download/cghxf3475qy46aq/Wargaming Compendium.pdf
>Saga
mediafire.com/folder/alj31go19tmpm/SAGA
>Black Powder
mediafire.com/download/o5x6blwoczojmfr/Black Powder.pdf
>Bolt Action
mediafire.com/folder/n7jmdnlv1n0ju/Bolt_Action
>Hail Caesar
mega.nz/#F!s9xTTDpQ!CasEjRETeqZsJ5LOzYrJdg
>Warhammer Ancient battles 2.0
mediafire.com/download/uttov32riixm9b0/Warhammer Ancient Battles 2E.pdf
mediafire.com/download/ta7aj1erh7sap1t/Warhammer Ancient Battles - Armies of Antiquity v2.pdf
>Warmaster Ancients
mediafire.com/download/cifld8bl3uy2i5g/Warmaster Ancients.pdf
mediafire.com/download/3emyvka11bnna1b/Warmaster Ancient Armies.pdf
>Advanced Squad Leader
mediafire.com/folder/d9x0dbxrpjg48/Advanced_Squad_Leader
>Impetus
mediafire.com/folder/28i9gevqws518/Impetus
>Ronin
mediafire.com/download/m8xke04pc3hne2k/Ronin.pdf
>Battleground WWII
mediafire.com/folder/cb83cg7ays4l1/Battleground_WWII
>By Fire And Sword
mega.co.nz/#!jxgCWTYD!FCp52DAqIUc-EM-TsRsWv7fB92nJ3kkzKsNcD_urI5Q
>Modelling & painting guides
mediafire.com/folder/7b5027l7oaz05/Modelling_&_Painting_Guides
>Twilight 2000/2013 RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!C9sQhbwb!NVnD4jvUn5inOrPJIAkBhA
>Phoenix Command RPG
mega.co.nz/#F!b5tgXRwa!mzelRNrKPjiT8gP7VrS-Jw
>Next War (GMT)
mediafire.com/folder/eupungrg93xgb/Next_War
>Battlegroup
mega.nz/#F!SolyxarJ!GUg6zWBStfznr6BvYedghQ

Desired scans :
Black Powder supplements
Rank and File supplements
Harpoon 3 & 4 supplements
Hail Caesar! Late Antiquity to Early Medieval Army List
Force on Force supplements
Hind Commander
At Close Quarters
War and Conquest
Germany Strikes!
Bolt Action: Empire in Flames

9th June in military history:

721 – Odo of Aquitaine defeats the Moors in the Battle of Toulouse.
747 – Abbasid Revolution: Abu Muslim Khorasani, Arab military leader, begins an open revolt against Umayyad rule, which is carried out under the sign of the Black Standard.
1667 – Second Anglo-Dutch War: The Raid on the Medway by the Dutch fleet begins. It lasts for five days and results in the worst ever defeat of the Royal Navy.
1762 – British forces begin the Siege of Havana and capture the city during the Seven Years' War.
1772 – The British schooner Gaspee is burned off the coast of Rhode Island.
1798 – Irish Rebellion of 1798: Battle of Arklow and Battle of Saintfield.
1815 – End of the Congress of Vienna: The new European political situation is set.
1862 – American Civil War: Stonewall Jackson concludes his successful Shenandoah Valley Campaign with a victory in the Battle of Port Republic.
1863 – American Civil War: Battle of Brandy Station, Virginia.
1885 – Treaty of Tientsin is signed to end the Sino-French War, with China eventually giving up Tonkin and Annam – most of present-day Vietnam – to France.
1923 – Bulgaria's military takes over the government in a coup.
1944 – World War II: The Soviet Union invades East Karelia and the previously Finnish part of Karelia, occupied by Finland since 1941.
1965 – Vietnam War: The Viet Cong commences combat with the Army of the Republic of Vietnam in the Battle of Đồng Xoài, one of the largest battles in the war.
1967 – Six-Day War: Israel captures the Golan Heights from Syria.

It is 153 years since the Battle of Brandy Station, the largest predominantly cavalry engagement of the American Civil War, as well as the largest ever to take place on American soil. It was fought around Brandy Station, Virginia, at the beginning of the Gettysburg Campaign by the Union cavalry under Maj. Gen. Alfred Pleasonton against Maj. Gen. J.E.B. Stuart's Confederate cavalry.

The victorious Confederate Army of Northern Virginia had streamed into Culpeper County after its victory at Fredericksburg. Under the leadership of General Robert E. Lee, the troops seemed invincible and massed around Culpeper preparing to carry the war north into Pennsylvania. These half-starved men had defeated armies twice their size, but the constant enemies of hunger and poor equipment were showing their effects. Lee was determined to strike north to capture horses, equipment, and food for his men.

By June 5, two infantry corps under CSA Generals Longstreet and Ewell were camped in and around Culpeper. Six miles north of town, holding the line of the Rappahannock River, General J.E.B. Stuart bivouacked his cavalry troopers, screening the Confederate Army against surprise by the enemy.

Most of the Southern cavalry was camped near Brandy Station. Stuart, the "dashing cavalier", requested a full field review of his troops by General Lee. His request granted, on June 8 nearly 9,000 mounted troopers passed Lee's reviewing stand, first at a walk, then in full gallop as sabers glistened in the sun and 22 batteries of horse artillery roared in simulated battle.

A dense fog hung over the Rappahannock that morning. Unknown to the Confederates, 10,000 Union horsemen had massed their forces on the other side. Misinterpreting the screening action of Stuart's cavalry, Union General Pleasanton thought he was attacking a rebel raiding party of unknown strength.

Pleasanton's attack plan called for a two-prong thrust at the enemy. One half of his men would cross the river at Beverly's Ford, two miles below Brandy Station, and the other half would cross at Kelly's Ford, four miles downstream. Caught in these pincers, the Southern cavalry would be surprised, outnumbered, and beaten.

Early in the morning, Stuart heard ragged gunfire from the river. Soon his troopers reached his Fleetwood Heights headquarters with the news that Union cavalrymen had forced a crossing at Beverly's Ford and charged up the narrow road toward St. James Church and Gee House Hill. The 6th Pennsylvania Cavalry unsuccessfully charged the guns at St. James, suffering the greatest casualties of any regiment in the battle. Several Confederates later described the 6th's charge as the most "brilliant and glorious" cavalry charge of the war. (In many Civil War battles, cavalrymen typically dismounted once they reached an engagement and fought essentially as infantry. But in this battle, the surprise and chaos led to a mostly mounted fight.)

Just as Stuart heard that the enemy had been checked at St. James, he received the startling news that Union troops were riding in on his rear. The vanguard, then visible, was approaching Fleetwood from the Stevensburg Road, having crossed at Kelly's Ford and reached Stevensburg via La Grange. One lone artillery piece was left atop Fleetwood Hill, and only a token force to guard Stuart's headquarters. As this single gun fired the few shells available, the Union horsemen halted their advance. Racing against time, Confederate cavalry rushed back from the St. James battle line to meet this new threat.

Stuart's headquarters was overrun, and the rear lines at St. James were threatened. Help arrived as cavalry rode in from Little Fork Church and saved the day for Stuart. After 12 hours of battle, Union troops retreated to the north side of the river.

Union casualties were 907; Confederate losses 523. Some 20,500 men were engaged in this, the largest predominantly cavalry battle to take place during the war. Among the casualties was Robert E. Lee's son, Rooney, who was seriously wounded in the thigh. He was sent to a nearby estate, where he was captured on June 26.

Stuart argued that the battle was a Confederate victory since he held the field at the end of the day and had repelled Pleasonton's attack. The Southern press was generally negative about the outcome. The Richmond Enquirer wrote that "Gen. Stuart has suffered no little in public estimation by the late enterprises of the enemy." It described Stuart's command as "puffed up cavalry," that suffered the "consequences of negligence and bad management."

Subordinate officers criticized Pleasonton for not aggressively defeating Stuart at Brandy Station. Maj. Gen. Hooker had ordered Pleasonton to "disperse and destroy" the Confederate cavalry near Culpeper, but Pleasonton claimed that he had only been ordered to make a "reconnaissance in force toward Culpeper," thus rationalizing his actions.

For the first time in the Civil War, Union cavalry matched the Confederate horsemen in skill and determination. Stuart's humiliation as the victim of two surprise attacks foreshadowed other embarrassments ahead for him in the Gettysburg campaign.

The ACW makes for great wargaming, and its biggest cavalry battle gives gamers the chance to try something special. It's a fairly even fight, and being entirely on horseback makes it pretty unique.

mediafire.com/download/cuk2fqu8oxo3d6r/Osprey - CAM 201 - Brandy Station 1863.pdf
mediafire.com/download/mn7xvug6w9y6c0z/Osprey - CBT 012 - Confederate Cavalryman vs Union Cavalryman 1861-5(2).pdf
mediafire.com/download/8areha9rf4rhro6/Osprey - WAR 013 - Union Cavalryman 1861-65.pdf
mediafire.com/download/c1m51hgyaebvadg/Osprey - WAR 054 - Confederate Cavalryman 1861-65.pdf

and done!

That box.. how does it stick to the tank?

Its love for the Motherland.

>That box.. how does it stick to the tank?
thanks! it's fixed!

At least you didn`t say plastic glue-

I would say the crewman and maybe the box could do with a few more highlights but the tonk itself is phenomenal.

thx. then I'll give the crewman and box a quick drybrush. close up of the small brother

>drybrush
highlight them bro. drybrush only looks good on very textured surfaces like sand bases.

ok! will do

better?

Very nice.

What is that turret on the background? T-70?

What does the text say? My Russian is non-existant except for kot and bliny

Za Rodinu -For Motherland

It's the Mickey Mouse T-34/76 turret.
I plan to use it to make one of the t-34/85 into a 76.

(Picture kinda unrelated. my Pershing)

What's your Pershing's name? I can only make out "The -"

It looks especially nice.

Shit! How much love have you put into those??! Wow. Better than my (unfinished) cromwell.

Thank you. It's "The Bomb"

Hmm dunno if this is sarcastic?

No really, I like the work. Not shitting on you.

I'm sitting here thinking "how am I supposed to go from 'basing and highlighting' my cromwell, to THAT?" I might as well not bother. I'm out of my league.

oh ok. Thank you. It's a lot of practice and some studying. That's really all there is to it.

So get that Cromwell out and start painting!

BMP

Why is everyone here perfectionists? It makes me never wanna share my stuff.

Jesus H Christ he was being constructive, he even called it phenomenal FFS. Do you want to improve or do you just want people to suck you off no matter how much you need advice? Just start a blog then you hypersensitive vagina.

Yes I'm mad.

Was Stuart over-rated?

I've noticed he's often blamed for the defeat at Gettysburg because he was off riding about and not actually supporting Lee, and these days he's probably more famous for that, than for his more successful actions. To quote his Wiki article:

>Arguably Stuart's most famous campaign, Gettysburg, was marred when he was surprised by a Union cavalry attack at the Battle of Brandy Station and by his separation from Lee's army for an extended period, leaving Lee unaware of Union troop movements and contributing to the Confederate defeat at the Battle of Gettysburg. Stuart received significant criticism from the Southern press as well as the postbellum proponents of the Lost Cause movement, but historians have failed to agree on whether Stuart's exploit was entirely the fault of his judgment or simply a result of bad luck and Lee's less-than-explicit orders.

The fact he was KIA the following year denied him the chance to defend himself from those criticisms in future years. On the other hand he got a tank named after him, which puts him in pretty illustrious company.

fuck up

Did anyone else see this?
>tanks
bbc.com/future/story/20160603-the-strange-tanks-that-helped-win-d-day

When allied forces landed on the Normandy beaches on D-Day, they did so alongside a fleet of bizarre tanks with very special roles – brought into life by an eccentric British commander.

yeah we all know about that already thats old fucking news

jolly fucker today aren't we?

What's your favorite one of Hobart's Funnies, /hwg/?
I have a soft spot for the Crab, but the AVRE and that giant spigot mortar just push my buttons.
It was the Funnies that "broke" Squad Leader in the end. When they created the original game they were going to include the Crab, but in a playtest someone tried to use it against infantry and they just couldn't work out how to properly simulate that, so they didn't include them in the finished game. However with the second expansion, Crescendo of Doom, simplicity had gone out the window and they added all the British armour including the various Funnies, and now players could merrily assault infantry with flail tanks - although by this point the game had become an unwieldy mess. But hey, who doesn't want to unleash a Crocodile on some unfortunates, or drop that 40lb spigot bomb on a bunker!

ASL saved us all

Is it bad that I recognize that those Tommies in the background are made by Valiant?

Also, Sherman Crab, WWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRR of doom.

I appreciated the critic. as long as it is constructive and not "THIN YOU PAINTS!" (except when the person in question really has to thin it's paints.)

...or "looks shit" as we've observed it in the last thread. Constructive criticism is fine.

well. it kinda looked like shit.

And instead of saying how it could be better, you (or anyone else, I don't care) said it's shit. Well thanks, Cpt. Obvious.

Even then, just saying that it looks shit gets us nowhere. Instead say, "it looks shit because of x,y,z. Have you considered doing a,b,c?" fag.

As the one who received the "looks shit" Im unsure if I should bother posting any more WIP and just wait until im completely finished

Fuck you it's WIP everything shown was unfinished

Cunt

Meh, there's always a cunt lurking, but you best ignore him. A WIP is supposed to look unfinished. Most of the time when I look at my stuffs in progress, they look utter shit.

>As the one who received the "looks shit" Im unsure if I should bother posting any more WIP and just wait until im completely finished
but then it would be to late to change things on constructive criticism! Don't let yourself get discouraged by some arseholes on the internet!

Yeah I guess so. WIP 3mm stuff is never gonna look that good

Looking good user. Although, nearly as bad as "THIN YOUR PAINTS', just some moldlines through the middle of most of the helmets. But other then that, keep it up.

Post anyway bro, among the looks shit will be normal non fuckwits who genuinely offer good advice. I encourage you to post and disregard dickheads.

thanks, but those are no moldlines.

Not quite /hwg/ releted, but i think this is best place to ask this.
Do anyone have some information about how painted was brtish mk.I tanks at Somme? Green? That wierd khaki/ tan color? Some kind of camo?

Why wouldn't this be a /hwg/ related questions?

Khaki-tan that you mentioned as far as I'm concerned.

Are these warlord or rubicon tanks? Or an entire different brand?

I assume you used an airbrush to paint them. May i ask what brand/model you have?

In case these are your minis, the german with the camo jacket in front of the dice really needs some wash on said jacket.

>Why is everyone here perfectionists?

Whats wrong with a bit of friendly critic? If i post something i would be glad if others gave me some advise.

>Not quite /hwg/ releted,
Tank camouflage is definitely /hwg/ related

>Some kind of camo?
"a kind of jolly landscape in green against a pink sunset sky"
"a bold pattern of brown, broken by broad black lines. "
afterwards, it was noted that
"the highly coloured camouflage painting was abandoned, and all tanks were henceforth of a neutral brown colour and provided with camouflage nets. "

Here's the relevant Osprey:
mediafire.com/download/24pi29m46t08edl/Osprey - VAN 100 - British Mark I Tank 1916.pdf

a mix of both. The M26, M24 and M4 in the back are Warlord, the M4 105mm is Rubicon. (The STuH42 in the back is Warlord as well).

I'm using an airbrush, yes. I'm using an Iwata/neo and an Airtex XP-723.

Churchill AVRE.

A friend of mine managed to fit his head in the dustbin launcher when we went to Bovington the first time.

Sold me on it immediately.
Well that and ol' Close Combat II.

Ah, its you. I remember that Flamingo tank.

Are you satisfied with your Airbrush?

One advice: put some gloss varnish under the decal, and once the decal is on, apply matte varnish. It'll make the shiny edge disappear.

yes he does. It's a mini that wasn't painted by me.

Oh great! This is exactly what i was looking for! Many thanks!
>Why wouldn't this be a /hwg/ related
questions?
Because i need it for model kit that i don't think i'll use in any kind of wargame.

yes I am. I prefer the Airtex over the Iwata. it's a 0,2mm needle and I feel like I'm having more control with it.
Thanks! I've never heard of that. I tried micro sol setting solution after I had finished that flamingo but still isn't optimal. Do you wait until the gloss varnish has dried or do you use the gloss varnish as a setting solution?

I haven't used half my historical figures for wargames. Feel free to ask any history related question, we talk about history in general too, not just about historical wargames.

I use vallejo satin varnish (with brush) under the decal and then put vallejo "decal fix" on top of it for the same effect.

I wait for the satin varnish to dry so the surface is nice and smooth.

Wait till it dries, and apply the decal on top of that.

I've always wondered what that chicken-coop frame on top was for. I've always assumed it was to ward off artillery shells but honestly that's just a guess.

>I've always assumed it was to ward off artillery shells but honestly that's just a guess.
It's a cover for grenades, user. They bounce off the "chicken shed" frame.

Heroics & Ros's webstore is still closed for maintenance, I just wanted to window shop micro armour ;_;

Ahhh, nevermind then. Good job. I wouldnt've checked and shaved them off by accident obviously.

thank you!

Do you guys know 28mm WW2 germans in "casual" or "relaxed" poses?

Most minis i found so far are either aiming/firing or advancing/running.

Nothing is perfect. Everything can be improved.

wargamesfoundry has some pretty relaxed sentry miniatures.

>Nothing is perfect. Everything can be improved.
not true. some things in this world are pure perfection.

pic related

I don't know what that is.

sorry wrong board.

Anime out

I will be closed till July 1st. The guy running the shop had a surgery on 28th of May and closed the shop while he recuperates.

First WOTR light cavalryman painted. My painting skills are pretty rudimentary but I'm happy with how it's come out.

Anyone have Plan Gold or any of the other Avalanche Press wargames? Are they any good/worth getting?

>Anne of Green Gables
the girl knows her classics

Put the model down and remove the backlight.

It looks fine but the photo isn't good.

Neat

Here's a Greek archer from Aventine miniatures.

Do any of you play online through roll20, map tools or similar?
What is it like compared to the table?
How do i find someone to play with?

hell yeah cavalry! but please upload a pic with better light!

I tested Chevauchee using Roll20. Miniatures on a table is significantly more fun, but you can't beat the versatility of being able to draw a whole game table.

Better picture!

great!

Anyone seen the new 30YW game on steam?

Drawing maps on paper and scanning them to play online is a things I've done many times for rpgs
Now that I brings this up, any one knows books on designing battlefields?