Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

"What am I doing with my life?" Edition.

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here: web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1GVTXsAAdkxpLjQFfvYzuME3lVyuhAU2chxXrK46vlbA/edit?usp=sharing
sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Defensive-Expertise-Combat-
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Last thread Recap:
>SHITPOSTER arguing over shield paladins (he won)
>DSP got caught shilling without their trips on, admitted it, and we forgave them
>/pol/izen tried to argue about Erastil(again). No one falls for it.

I was going to wait until the weekend, since I'm still missing a few things but decided screw it. I'm impatient and want to get verbally abused for poor design decisions. It's missing a few pieces, needs heavy polishing, and I need to go review a few of the main features, but I might as well chuck it out there.

For your viewing displeasure, the Stregone, an attempt to make the Vigilante Warlock a separate class.
docs.google.com/document/d/1GVTXsAAdkxpLjQFfvYzuME3lVyuhAU2chxXrK46vlbA/edit?usp=sharing

I got frustrated trying to juggle two sets of talents, so I just smashed everything into a single set of them and made one of the talents be "gain two vigilante social talents".

buildposter shill, go away

Remember, folks: winners use Shield Brace.

>(he won)

In your dreams you won, Shitposter. Oh, and you forget to type your name, faggot.

Put your name back on so I don't have to see your posts.

>(he won)
>DSP shills
>user answers Erastil question and SJWs go up in flames
You're kinda retarded, aintcha?

Really, you lying sack of shit? Did you read Forrest's post?
She said that she posts without a trip BECAUSE THERE'S NO NEED TO ALWAYS HAVE A TRIP. There's no shilling because it's related to DSP; if they were shilling of course they'd put their trips on, so that people can see "oh hey, there's the developer".

Do you want to see how wrong you are? Go onto IRC, type in #pfg, and look at how many people are going to tell you straight-up that you're wrong. Go fuck yourself.

>DSP got caught shilling without their trips on, admitted it, and we forgave them
This didn't actually happen

Nobody will ever believe you.

Still looking for shield advice for my antipaladin.

I may be able to fit in Shield Focus as a feat, maybe around level 5?

What's this Defensive Expertise feat I'm hearing about? 3pp is allowed on case by case basis.

Thread already in flames

You might have to get rid of the Damnation feats you want until later on in your career unfortunately. Defensive Expertise is the following, from Path of War 1:

>DEFENSIVE EXPERTISE (Combat)
>You are able to use your defenses to greater effect.
>Prerequisites: Shield Focus, shield proficiency, base attack bonus +1
>Benefit: Your shield bonus to armor class applies against touch attacks. Additionally, you may add the enhancement bonus of your shield (if any) as a competence bonus to Reflex saves.

>What's this Defensive Expertise feat I'm hearing about?

DSP PoW feat.

>Defensive Expertise (Combat)
>You are able to use your defenses to greater effect.

>Prerequisite(s): Shield Focus, shield proficiency, base attack bonus +1

>Benefit(s): Your shield bonus to armor class applies against touch attacks. Additionally, you may add the enhancement bonus of your shield (if any) as a competence bonus to Reflex saves.

sites.google.com/site/pathfinderogc/path-of-war/feats#TOC-Defensive-Expertise-Combat-

Blame Buildposter

>Mods will delete this post
>Mods won't delete this aggressive shitposting.

I always do.

Good feat, that. Gives a LOT, but that's because by comparison most shield feats tell you to go fuck yourself and grab a two-hander.

Basically it means you get to hide behind your shield when dragonbreath (about fucking time) and the shield can now work on fucking bullets, which were literally ignoring it until then.

I'm a gunslinger, this fucks with me, and I STILL approve massively of defensive expertise.

Tell me about your first pathfinder characters /pfg/!

I want you to delete it because that image looks awful. Did you save it without examining more closely or do you not care that it is in so sub-par a condition?

my first pathfinder - not 3.5 - character was a dwarven aegis/marksman(sniper) with a double-pistol and a dorn-durgar.

not very optimized, but he did okay.

A paladin who was completely oblivious to the fact he was really racist towards non humans who got beat up by the half orc in the party. The paladin then died for him after they set a tower on fire with a dragon at the top from Reign of Winter.

Penny Ann Dreadful was a 12-year old Human Witch (Gravewalker archetype). Her goal in life was to literally make friends. When she used Animate Dead each skeleton she raised got his own little name. I got to play her in two sessions before the campaign collapsed under the bloat of having somewhere around 8-9 players. Seriously DM, what were you thinking?

Was dying for him intentional, or was he still holding a grudge and made damn sure?

I do it to annoy you.
Rogue catboy. Put all his money into upgrading his jacket. By the end of the campaign, that jacket had it's own page of things it could do.

Why are surprised that DSP post without a trip, Gareth already said who tends to post anonymously and why a long, long time ago.

Gnome Prankster Bard, the wife of the character i was then playing in my main RL game. PbP game, died real fast.

He died so that the half orc and the rest of the party could escape. He also murdered Greta.

/pfg/ posters are retarded, fetish-loving waifu fags, only about half of whom even read the damn rules.

Scythe Wielding Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager). Tons of damage and fun.

It was a stalker privateer with fool's errand style.

The trump supporters are also very surprised that we'd think what he said was racist too.

A drow sorceress with celestial bloodline. She was the scion of a minor noble house(though not using drow noble stats, obviously).

I cannot believe how shit these threads have been lately.

Is there a way to stack natural attacks together? I made a level fifteen kobold barbarian able to deal up to five natural attacks on a pounce, cause blindness, nausea, CON damage, a guaranteed crit and acid damage with certain attacks.
With rage and power attack. Mind you, might be flubbing the bonus damage, can't remember the exact amounts.
>bite attack: 1d6+14+once a day 1d6 acid+1 acid, cause nausea due to Noxious bite. Improved natural attacks as well.
>Beast Totem: Claw: 2 1d6+8
>Helm of the Mammoth lord: Gore: 1d6+14, when used as a charge automatically crit threatens, deals an extra 1d4 Con damage, as well as cause a fort roll or be blind forever.
>tail slap: 1d6+8, can equip tail weapon.

Is there a way to put all of that together into one hot mess?

But we're online, I can't tell if it's one or two people blinded by their bias or a whole crowd. Those that are mad are more likely to go out of their way to post from multiple IPs

As has been stated before, we've got people coming in and shitposting constantly. Nobody knows who's doing it, but someone is likely paying people, just like how /pol/ has paid shills and shit.

Do you think Starfinder will be a success or a flop?

I doubt people are actually being paid to come in and shitpost
mediocre on all fronts

A Fetchling Summoner with a pet cheshire cat. Was the richfag son of a merchant house on the plane of shadow.

Success solely because of marketing, just like Pathfinder.

Paizo is only making mediocre stuff for a while, so... I hope it will flop. Flop HARD.

If it has anything in common with the technology guide it deserves to fail harder than it will.

success yes
flop, also yes.
it'll sell.
it won't be good.
but it'll sell.

And the best classes in it will be regular PF casters, guaranteed.

If it's happening on american politics with Hilary paying hundreds of indians to shitpost and shill for her, then it can happen here, on a completely anonymous board.

So.. it's just shield bonus to touch... that doesn't seem that big of a deal though? Is going from 12 Touch to 15 touch really gonna change anything? It's still piss easy to hit.

Okay so. Firstly.

>Short Range
You can get the Range-boosting talents. They don't cost spell points to use.

>Shit damage
It actually stands above both in damage, as far as I can tell. I mean, 1), Vig Warlock's damage is shite. Definite fact.

Advantages it has over the Blaster though, is that it can twf with minimal penalties, whereas the Blaster can't at all. It can still get Enhancement bonuses via a Destructive Focus weapon.

Plus you can still use things like Deadly Aim, and because it's all touch-attacks, you're probably not gonna miss anyway.

Am I missing anything?

DSP is almost universally accepted in /pfg/ and their devs are generally well-received, so I don't see them bothering with shills. Paizo is almost universally reviled so if they do have shills here, those shills aren't doing very good job. And I don't see them wanting to advertise on Veeky Forums of all places. That only leaves DDS, since other 3pp just isn't talked about. And as much as I'd like to think that SoP popularity here is due to shills, I don't really think it's very likely.

A wizard appears before and gives you the following offer these changes over the next 5 years
>Paizo sees the light and makes a new book
>It's the Codex of Conflict after Starfinder drops
>Official Initiation system, it's fun to play and more balanced than PoW ever was.
>Afterwords they make a new book with a balanced point based, spell casting system similar to Psionics. This book retcons the Wizard/Sorc spell list and merges them into one class and is now mandatory for PFS.
>Going forward, playtests will be more open.
>over the course of the next 5 years the quality of the game increases substantially.
>If and only If
>You toss Bulmahn's salad.[/spoiled]
Would you?

Honestly, it's bad, but in comparison with the Paizo feats, it's good.

Nah man, I'm talking shills against DSP and 3pp stuff. Paizo knows we're a fairly large community for them, and that we dislike them heavily. They know /pfg/ spreads that around, and they want it to stop, so they come here to attack the 'source' of it.

Too bad the source is them being bad.

>Stalk Bulmahn
>Wait until he is going to eat a salad
>Throw it over my shoulder

THE CONTRACT IS COMPLETE.

I'd rather see Paizo crash and burn.

It also adds the shields enhancement bonus to Reflex saves. Not exactly gold star, but if it were a Paizo feat that would be broken into two more feats, require Combat Reflexes, and the bonus to Ref. saves would be a Resistance bonus.

Please, let Paizo die and another publisher to fix this goddamn mess of system.

Well the full bonus applies to touch, and if you`re low reflex, well, you`re not low reflex anymore if you enchant your shield.

My character has a +4 heavy shield; that`s 6 he wouldn`t normally have on his touch-AC (our own sorc would need 11s to hit with his rays instead of 5s), and makes his reflex no longer autofail.

>Blame Buildposter
No. I blame him too, but I blame the rest of you retards equally for responding. You're adults, not children or mindless drones. Nothing is forcing you to answer him; you're doing it of your own free will even though you know you shouldn't. Proprotionally, the BUILDPOSTER haters are as bad as he is, and there's more of you fags so you're worse overall. It's 2hufag all over again.

What I'm saying is that both lots of you should kill yourselves.

So /pfg/, what's the most mechanically retarded character you've ever seen that, by all rights, should have been dead on arrival, but still somehow managed to pull through or even did well?

Fuck off, retard. What you will gonna do about the replies? Scream to your mother from your basement?

Shut off.

At least one mod on their forum knows of us, and obviously there are people that post on both forums. But what benefit is there for Paizo to send shills to one general on Veeky Forums, it isn't like we have hundreds of unique IPs per thread. Same with DSP.

I'm just not convinced that anyone is paying anyone. Just people who are still on the PoW honeymoon who haven't experienced the issues, and people who swear by 1pp.

A sword and board paladin. Not even joking, last thread aside, I've seen one do well. Granted it required Mythic Vital Strike.

Okay, are you legitimately medically autistic or Brazilian or something? Because right now you seem like you are.

Who said we haven`t experienced issues?
Have you not seen the scathing diatribes about various classes, archetypes, initiator disciplines and so on?

>Haven't experienced issues
Guy who's been violently campaigning to see Steelforge reviewed and updated and actually have the cool shit that it got from Forgeworks actually ported properly, and for the stuff it missed to get fixed here.

PoW is overall good, but it damn well needs work, and we've been trying to give feedback.

Here's one of the biggest bits of feedback we can give: Fire Sslarn.

It'd be a +7 bonus to Touch AC since Shield Focus grants a +1 to the selected shield. Either way the feat is a bit niche, but does a reasonable job building up otherwise difficult-to-raise defenses. I'd say it's at least decent in that regard.

I'm with ya'. I seriously don't think money is changing hands, rather it's just a bunch of jackasses on both sides of the fence getting a little too passionate. I mean, it's the internet; these things are going to happen. But these threads have been less of a dumpster fire with a half-eaten hot dog lately and just a dumpster fire.

What's a good VMC for a summoner?

Didn't they pass Arcforge to another publisher?

Anyway, Ssalarn is okay, he just has a fucked up way of responding to feedback where he tends to sit on anything, even a "I heard you and we're tweaking it" until he's had time to test it obsessively.

End result is it looks like he's sitting on his thumbs until he finally gets his shit together.

>haven't experienced the issues
1. Fire Ssalarn
2. Nerf zealot
3. Nerf psionics harder (no reformation/astral seed bullshit)
4. Nerf low-level damage
5. Nerf cryptic

Ssalarn isn't even part of PoW.

At least one of the Devs expressed a desire that people would stop asking them about PoW. That they wanted to be asked about things like Psionics or anything else that wasn't PoW because they're fucking sick of it.

>Nerf Cryptic

But... Cryptic doesn't even do anything.

My bad, meant buff.

>removing psychic reformation

Nah, psychic reformation is fine. If the game's rebuilding rules weren't so shit it wouldn't be needed.

Arcforge, not Forgeworks/Steelforge.

>Fine

How are the game's rebuilding rules shit?

Nerf everything
Fire everyone
Give fighters something to do outside of combat

Psychic Reformation is great because it gives you a rules-legal way to rebuild your character when you need to or want to without the DM being able to shut you down without banning it.

Personally when I DM I let people just rebuild as they want, but I know a lot of groups don't do that.

PF's retraining rules are needlessly restrictive and time-consuming in some cases, and are broken in others (feat retraining being the Dark Chaos Shuffle, for example).

I wouldn't necessarily say they're sick of PoW discussion (because that information can be handy), rather DSP has other material in playtest and that hasn't been getting nearly as much attention as it needs. I can understand their disdain because constant PoW discussion/arguments tend to overshadow literally everything else they have in the works, and things in playtest can't be fixed and properly tuned if nothing is brought to attention.

Yeah, I know. Ssalarn is the guy in charge of Arcforge, which is why I was responding to that chunk of things.

Anyways Psybomb is working on the Forgeworks part of Steelforge, and it's towards the back of Steelforge's release schedule explicitly so it has more time to bake from what I recall.

Pathfinder was a success because of 3.5 and a bad 4.Edition.

You know, I just realized who Elsbeth reminds me of.
It's probably the hair.

So, any ideas?

Cost scales with your level, irrelevant of what you're actually retraining. Time spent is infeasible for lots of adventures. Extremely verbose, but very limiting on what you can actually retrain.

....what type of summoner?

Yeah, that was a dumb way to put it. I've seen the discussions, what I was trying to get across that some people push PoW as the perfect solution to martials, a build, etc. That's the impression they give me, anyway.

If they don't want you rebuilding your character, they're going to ban it anyway.

"Hey DM, can I rebuild my character once we've finished this thing?" Is a lot different to "Hey, DM, I'm rebuilding my character right here in the middle of this dungeon to respond to this specific problem we have right now"

Lords of the Night Vampire Steelfist Commando Warlord using Broken Blade, Mithral Current, Veiled Moon and Riven Hourglass.

He is a nobleman from Ustalav and one if the Whispering Tyrant's former lieutenants during the Shining Crusade. Eventually he betrayed the tyrant and aided the Knights of Ozem, but his reward for treachery was them burning his castle down and slaying his still loyal living subjects. He entered a deep torpor, rather then perish from the flames, and awakened centuries later. Realizing that his enemies were dead and his house was long forgotten he is taken to going on adventures and enjoying his new lease on unlife in Varisia.

Currently he is part of a curse of the Crimson Throne adventure.

I am enjoying him immensely.

I'm really heavy on skills because that's what our party needs. My eidolon is bipedal and a skill monkey.

Then spend your feats on things other than VMC. most of them are ether munchkin bullshit or just normal bullshit.

People push it a lot, yeah, but a lot of the reason for that is because Paizo just... hasn't made good content for Martials. It hasn't made it OR ported it, and at least PoW has kinda tried. It's fucked up a few times, yeah, but it made an attempt, and the attempt is workable.

>point based

No thanks now you just make balance even more fucked up like an exalted and other shitty point buy games.

Paladin of Shelyn.

Played him like a 50s movie heart-throb. He was Team Dad, which would have been easier if the team wasn't a complete clusterfuck aside from Helen (a minor clusterfuck because drow sorceresses, man) and like one other competent PC.

Game was fun, but fell apart mostly thanks to one asshole cheesing the magic item rules and a DM who was a decent storyteller but not a very good encounter builder getting frustrated.

They haven't?

I'm a little new to pathfinder, but it seems that warrior dudes do just fine in fights.

Half Orc paladin with 20 charisma.
His father was an Orc who converted to the worship of St Cuthbert, his Mother was a whore.
He chose to follow Heironeous when his father was executed for a crime he didn't commit. (we were using 3.5 gods)
Rather than force his standards on others he saw his duty as following the oath conscientiously and with purpose, that others might follow his example.
Heironeous was the best God for a paladin. An article in Dragon stated that a paladin of Heironius' first duty was to Heironius himself, not temporal earthly authorities. Secondly he had a duty to the people, meaning he could oppose worldly corruption of authority. Third was his duty to a lady.
This particular paladin met a kyton and had a bit of a spark there as they were both honor and duty bound to serve otherworldly forces. He wound up beating her in a duel and she left peacefully. Game ended before that could develop further.

Hi guys I'm not DSP. On the internet know one knows you're a shill.

Oh no you caught me. I am the shill. And I'll continue to post shills until you quote this post and respond "anyone can post any claims of anything" or that "the very person claiming DSP is shilling could have been the one posting the response to start trouble in the first place".

Pic related is me reading this thread.

This is correct. Forgeworks material has a while to go before publication. I'm looking through individual items as time and space allow, such as the Transferrance Vellum in the first release. Full nonmagical item enhancement system is currently slated for the fourth release if all goes well.

In fights, with very specific combat styles, yes.

Outside of fights, no, not really. A baseline fighter basically cannot do anything if it isn't direct combat, and stuff like TWF/Shields/Crossbows/Guns/throwing/slings/one-handing a single weapon as a combat style is just not worthwhile at all. TWF suffers from extreme problems in movement and damage output until it gets higher level, the rest of them lack good support or items and are VASTLY outclassed by Paizo's pet style which is archery.

They ALL still suffer the same problem that you can basically take any caster class, stick archery feats on it, and just be outright better than the fightery classes with just that.

I like bard personally for a general summoner, or barbarian for synth.

>shitposting
We get it. Shutup.

But for realz last thread was sketchy as hell.
>well written paragraph posts, then they stopped and there were well written paragraph posts from DSP
>one sentence shitposting insults thrown everywhere

I'm reading over it again and I'm beginning to think they were actually shilling without their name. It's not the first time "go away shill" "not being paid!" "hey its me with a trip from DSP totally not the same guy as before" has happened in the past few months.

News flash if you use passive or and you do not alter low challenge rating enemies or higher challenge rating enemies in response to this then you are a retard. The same goes for trying to make a challenging encounter with you allow tier 1 classes.

And of course there is the issue that challenge rating itself is arbitrary and most of the entries they made suck shit. Couple that with the fact that most people running games don't know how to make a good challenging encounter and of course you have Everyone crying like fucking children.