/EDH/Commander General

Underrated cards edition.

>Previos thread
>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-hFP-mimeoplasm/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/memeoplasm-reanimator-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/derevi-dirty-banties/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/azorius-guildmage-pauper-commander/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-15-lets-call-it-a-draw/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-time-for-monsters/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Euro-bros, where do you buy your singles/booster/boxes

Humble Defector's one of my favorite cards, I even run it in my Mizzix deck. I could use better draw, but this guy distracts people from thinking I'm the bad guy.

r8 h8 materb8

Singles on magiccardmarket.eu, sealed product usually in my LGS.

Going off-topic for a sec, didn't a Wizards online article sort of spoiled/hinted it was Emrakul that is the cause of SOI?

Yes, IIRC Jace tried to talk to Sorin about the Eldrazi, but then Soring understood that "he went right into the trap"

Surprise beater with evasion and can be a blowout if your opponent is not expecting it

that is shit on so many levels it is a two one how is that good in anyway in edh.

Which article/card was this shown?

id really like to run this guy with homeward path

>47684713
Running him in Kiki-Jiki myself.
I can also see him working in tandem with Homeward Path or with white recursion like Sun Titan.

Thanks, I was looking for this thread earlier but it wasn't up yet.

SoI was caused by brown people from kaladesh in ornithopters

Emrakul will be tentacle raping ravnica when captain jacemerica gets back to return to return to ravnica part 2 electric boogaloo

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/08-06-16-hFP-mimeoplasm/

Can I get some input this thread? Who knows

It is 3/2 flyer with built-in counter, how is it bad?
I believe it is solid at least.

Best and worst Planeswalkers in EDH?

user you went full retard, \b\ is a few boards that way

I assume this is supposed to be a budget list

Tibalt and Karn

For now. I'm looking for suggestions. Infect is out of the question though due to group butthurt about infect.

but user it counters krosan grip!!

This is what im running, ezuri and meren are experimental for miming experience counters and will probably be replaced

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/memeoplasm-reanimator-1/

Ok:
Inkwell Leviathan, Entomb, Corpse Connoisseur, frantic search, thirst for knowledge, compulsive research, Jin-Gitaxias, Sheoldred, Death's Shadow, Phyrexian Dreadnaught, Catalog, Reanimate, Animate Dead, Phyrexian Delver, Living Death, Thrun the Last Troll, and Consecrated sphinx

I would recommend selling your Kalitas, Abrupt Decay, and True Name Nemesis. I would also cut Oona, Glistening Oil and The Genesis Hydra, Replacing these with some Juicy reanimator targets (Void Winnower, Jin-Gitaxias, It that Betrays Etc.).

My friend calls that card the Card Draw Barber

>Sell your kalitas, abrupt decay, and true name nemesis

And get a whole whopping $30? That will pay for the consecrated sphinx and not much else

what about KMC sleeves?

Polite sage

Well, the Kalitas will never be worth more than it's worth now. At absolute most, if the next set makes standard vampires a big deck, it may be worth more, but it would take some fucking sweet vampires.

Except the part where foil kalitas is $50 alone

Except people are money grubbing jews and will only pay $18 for it tops.

I like your thinking, ill give you $20 for any foil EM mythics you pull maybe 25 for a FoW

Also ill give you $100 for your car and $500 for your house

Kalitas is played in modern jund thats why it has value, otherwise it would be a bulk $5 card like the rest of the standard cards

He's right you know. Selling those foils is incredibly hard. Your best bet would be selling to a store, and they wouldn't pay even 50% of the price.

but the combination of it being worth stuff in modern and in standard that's going to make it the most expensive now than it probably ever will be. I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't see why

Hey I'm just being real here. People want things next to nothing or just for free and my FLGS doesn't buy any cards or do trade ins for store credit.

Add more draw/discard and some more fatties, you pretty much want a bunch of stuff in the graveyard for t4/5 mime, then have some ways to protect it

I totally agree, when it rotates it will probably lose value, unless people find more uses for it in other formats then the price will stabilize or rise after boxes stop being opened, i dropped standard just before theros rotated out and got about $850 store credit for everything that would be worthless in a few weeks, so glad i did

True, this is why you have to offload standard cards on release day i got back twice the cost of my soi box after putting everything on ebay an hour after i opened the box

I like the vivid lands yet they come into play tapped and yes they only have 2 counters but those first 2 turns they can produce any color can really save you, even then they still produce regular mana as well, edh is generally not a 4 turn format so the drawback isnt the worse for the mana fix it provides

I fucking hate the vivid lands because of the counters. The fact that I have to put a die on it, or mark it in some other way is such a pain in the ass. When I go from playing my decks that I've went and bought a decent (note, not super expensive) mana base to playing my super budget decks with vivid lands, it drives me crazy. As soon as you decide to put $25 into a mana base, you realize that for two color decks, you don't need to bother with lands that are physically cumbersome. And with three color decks, you don't really need them either.

That said, maybe I'm just mad for no reason. It just bothers me when tapping my lands and organizing them becomes harder to do because of a stupid die on one of them.

Just had one of my more delicious moments.

>playing Melek against Iona, Angry Omnath and Lovisa
>Iona player is 1 white mana away from casting the large angel on his turn and he's absolutely naming red
>my turn is before his
>play Aggressive Mining
>everyone looks at me funny
>everyone is also tapped out
>play Mana Geyser off the topdeck for like 20 some odd mana, replicated Shattering Spree to break all Iona's rocks, and Bust
>Iona player completely flips his shit
>doesn't scoop for like 3 turns, just complains loudly about being locked out of the game and asking Omnath or Kalemne to kill or O-ring the Aggressive Mining

I wanted him to know how it felt to be completely shut out of a game of Magic. I wanted him to taste true suffering

Fuck I forgot

I used Donate to give him the Aggressive Mining. That was the best part of the whole thing and I completely forgot it

>Jin-Gitaxias

Ok real talk here, why is every blue deck required to have Jin? The card draw can fuck you up more than help you more often than not and the reducing opppnent hand size is easily negated by reliquary tower or thought vessel.

>Underrated cards edition

Off-topic noob question here, but when can I play an instant? Or more specifically, when can I play stuff at instant speed? I was playing last week, and I had a creature with the ability, pay 1 and tap to tap target creature. So this guy enters combat and declares his attackers, so I decide to tap one of his attackers at instant speed. He says that I can't do this because I need to play instants when he begins the combat phase. But don't I use his ability "before" the combat phase?

>iona player complains
The ones at my LGS at least know they're shitlords.

>easily negated by reliquary tower or thought vessel
>2 cards out of 99 are a sure thing

>when can I play an instant?
When you have priority. Google it and check out the images section.

Every blue deck is not required to have Jin.
But I imagine it is good in Mimeoplasm, because it fills everybody's yards.

There are other cards that give maximum hand size too, quit being a shit. You act like you never had a game where you get a somewhat similar hand

He did not grasp the irony of the situation at all

Regarding your question, you could have used the ability during the beginning of combat step, when priority was passed. Whoever jumped right to declaring attackers is a shit and a cheater

There are.
However the odds of even a minority of players having them out at any given time is not high.
Which is why Jin-Gitaxis is great.

They don't all require Jin, reanimator tends to want him though

The problem there is that "Combat" is broken into a number of different steps.
It goes, and I could be forgetting a step because I'm exhausted, but:
>Beginning of combat
>Declare attackers step
>Declare blockers step
>Damage step
>End of combat step

The issue was that you wanted to tap his creature at the beginning of combat step. Once it becomes the "Declare attackers step", he has priority to declare his attackers, and you cannot technically respond to him declaring attackers. You CAN use abilities before you move to your "Declare blockers step" but at that point, he's already declared who is swinging. By tapping his guy at the beginning of combat step, the guy is tapped before he even gets to the declare attackers step.

Definitely look up how priority works, because this issue is really a combination of how the combat phase works and how priority works. Again, I'm sorry if this is worded in a confusing way. I'm super tired, but I'm trying to help.

That's fucking ruthless. Holy shit.

Thanks, I get it now.

you're doing God's work. keep it up.

>new player shows up with Derevi
>Derevi eats a Path when it enters
>just drops that shit like an ugly baby into exile
>right in there
>right on into the "removed from the game" zone
>doesn't bat a fucking eye about it
>mind is fucking racing about what kind of insane secret tech could be in this deck

>2 turns later
>"End of your turn, I'm going to put Derevi into the command zone from exile"
>"What the hell? That's... not allowed at all"
>"What? Yes it is, I can put the commander in the command zone from anywhere, whenever I want"
>his face when we had to explain what replacement effects were

I can't even imagine what would happen if I had used Chaos Warp.

>new player
>expect sekrit tech
>not making the common sense judgement of assuming he doesn't know how it works

I mean, I feel like all of that is on you. At least tell me you let him put it in the command zone with the caveat of "now that you know how it works, don't do it again please"

He's new, you guys don't cut new players some slack?

We're not total assholes, we let him put it back in the one time

That said we all looked at each other aghast when he put Derevi into exile. One guy asked if he knew it was going to be removed from the game, Derevi player said he knew

>Wasting a path on derevi
Who was new?

How is this chick for pauper commander? I have been looking around for a while for an etb abuse machine.

Also since I have never built a pauper deck can you guys suggest some common staples?

Caw caw motherfuckers, its dicks for dinner again

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/derevi-dirty-banties/

>blue white commons
>worth bouncing
I'm sorry, user, there's isn't much there. Mulldrifter is greater, mist raven, a few things that either draw or bounce on ETB, but then you still have to win somehow. There's just not enough value in there. The stuff with an ETB to return a sorcery/instant/enchantment from grave to hand could also be ok.

Staples include: capsize, rhystic study, FADE AWAY, oblivion ring, faith's fetters.

My friend has an azorius guildmage pauper commander deck that was meta defining control, though it was ridiculously difficult for it to win in multiplayer, as the only real win-con was beatdown with utility creatures while locking down everything of importance. I don't know if its fully updated with all the tech he discovered at common, so I'll also link his blue lu zun deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/azorius-guildmage-pauper-commander/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/18-08-15-lets-call-it-a-draw/

Voidwielder would be good.

also:
keep watch and theft of dreams are pretty much the best draw cards available at common.

>played EDH for the first time in over a month last Saturday
>Sperged out over a super late reaction
>I have doubts whether I'll be invited again
>Not sure I even want to anymore

Feels bad man

Kaladesh is were the next set is gonna be right? I can't wait to see the art cause its gonna be good.

You can always apologize to the host, and admit to the social problems that it sounds like you have, while explaining that you will refrain from such outbursts in the future. I mean, if playing there matters to you, user.

Not trying to be a dick, I swear.

Yes it will be Chandra: The Expansion with all of the thopter reprints from origins, alot of people hoping there will be a decent artifact based commander that is something other than red

Prepare for thopter tribal

So do you guys think that Mana Crypt will be going down in price because of EMA?

Yeah I was thinking as much when I was looking on gatherer the other day. Thanks for the links, I am gonna at least use the guildmage one as a guide to some blue stuff if nothing else.

Yeah I like that shit for sure.

>decent artifact based commander that is something other than red

user, we have that. Esper artifacts is the shit. Sydri is not a joke, nor is the sphinx who's name escapes me.

What people have been screaming for is a blue red artificer legend.

Not likely, its the first time its been printed outside of a promo, demand will only go up with the supply

>Sphinx who's name escapes me
Sharuum the Hedgemon?

its already dropped tho, and the EMA version is the cheapest version

Hegemon**

like Hegemony

no d

At least I was able to remember most of the name

Sheldon the Pokemon

you got the double u right so snaps for you

>Another night of EDH with the covenant at my LGS
>Typical line up of Prossh Combo, Narset Combo, Malestrom Wanderer Combo, and my Derevi Stax.
>About to start game when some late entries come in.
>Two guys with Celestial Kirn and Zo-Zu.
>Game was going well except both of the faggots played MLD and Board wipes constantly.
>We keep giving them a hard time for ruining everyone's night with that degenerate shit.
>Zo-Zu plays Devestation and counters my Force of Will with Red Elemental Blast.
>My group universally concedes and calls the owner over.
>We get both of them kicked out.

I cannot not believe people bring that shit to commander nights. Fucking cancer all of them.

It's cool.

I've reigned myself in a lot compared to how I used to be, which was mostly because of a That Guy who thankfully doesn't play anymore. He is the one who really got me into EDH, so I had some of his sperg habits. Thankfully, I've ditched most of them.

As for me, it's mostly life long major depression. I have no real outlets for it, and I try not to bog anyone down with it. In this case, I was already having a bad day because of unrelated tooth pain, and I was just done. In my defense, I could have handled it a lot worse. Instead of arguing, I just said I was done and packed up because it was the last game of the night anyway. He didn't take it so well and took back his response anyway, but I had already scooped.

I don't know. I almost wish I had just stayed home, but for other reasons I'm glad I didn't.

That does sound very unfun but the way the situation was brought to a conclusion seems childish

>someone played a card that is legal i the format
>played my counterspell
>they countered my counterspell
>had flashbacks to nam
>charlie has us surrounded red communist cards everywhere
>snapped out of it and wiped the cheeto dust from my beard
>sand formed in my vagina
>went to my parents to tell them my feelings were hurt
>mom said i never have to play against a person with the card i dont like again
>went home for tendies
This is some real fucking manchild behaviour right here jesus fucking christ, never reproduce

Gg no rematch

That's some shit tier bait son

Good on you for recognizing your problems and working on them. That's how things get better, even if there's some rough patches.

I feel you user. I had a pretty good 2 month long period of depression not so long ago, and it's important to not be isolated. Friday night pathfinder and Saturday night EDH got me through. Do your best not to push people away, even if it's easier sometimes.

>this is how self-righteous MLD fags see the world

I like control and playing big things. recommend me a deck

zegana

So are there any people in your group that attacks you regardless of the board state because of shitty threat assessments? I am trying to figure out one asshole in my group

Nigga you have no idea how badly I want Izzet Artifacts

NO FUCKING IDEA

AND NO, NIN DOESN'T FUCKING COUNT

Derevi stax.

>Typical line up of Prossh Combo, Narset Combo, Malestrom Wanderer Combo, and my Derevi Stax
kek

Ayy I know that feel. I did the same thing. I didnt go back for over a month. Wasted a lot of time on being a shit. Its good that you're working on your problems and are aware of them. As long as you have real friends they will understand. Mine did. Just try to keep calm and remember your past to keep from repeating the same mistakes. Also I get tooth pain a lot too, but make sure you bring some ibuprofen with you.

Jhoira.

The fact that her ability can be used at instant speed leaves your mana open when responses are required. Then, when you have mana to spare, you suspend your fatties and big effects at end of turn before your turn.

Note, it is not required to run her with land wipes or eldrazi titans. That is the optimal path, probably, but it also significantly increases your chance of getting hated off the board.

My pretty cheap Jhoira deck.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/a-time-for-monsters/