/5eg/ D&D 5E General - Homebrew Equipment Edition

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Have your PCs ever proposed a unique custom weapon to craft? Have ever tailored custom magic items for your PCs? I encourage posting the details so anons can implement each others custom equipment in each others' games. Have fun, kids.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!9AZmyIIb!WriTv3MiQ2kv8eZmUsXpRA
youtube.com/watch?v=Go_LIz7kTok
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

one of my players sent me a video of Megas XLR when I asked if had any ideas of what he wants his character to be.

He wanted to be a dwarf in a 15 ft tall mech suit.

How do you guys manage shopping?

I can respect that.
Not to start with, he'd have to buy, craft, and assemble the suit in-game, but at least he has a goal.

Usually refer to the prices in the PHB, and make assumptions/adjustments based on a benchmark of some kind.

Once one of my players was a type of undead , but to keep on living he had to create some crystals using any jewelry and the soul of an agonizing enemy
Today a player wanted to be one third fish one third tree and one third demon

Yo could I have some more links before I actually see some equipment please?

Lest say after a long week of adventuring your players are back in town and one says i want to buy an armor, do you check if the town haves armor, do you make them roll investigation? or what

i was thinking in letting them do one action in the day and other in the night, IE Player one tells me he wants to train in something, Player two wants to investigate, Player three just want to socialize, Player four want to go and drink like a mad man etc..

After I decided my character in a game I was in wouldn't fit the plot, I withdrew early from the game that session so I could think of a new character.

I later asked the DM if I could play as an Empyrean, and he OKed it.

I think exotic/non-standard races are a sign that the player isn't creative enough to come up with something interesting with a standard race, or that the DM has decided it doesn't really matter.

>I want to buy an armor
I wouldn't require an investigation roll, rather think about whether the town would have a store that sells armor, since the average Joe Turnip probably doesn't need one and couldn't afford it, and then just tell them that it's there. Armor can be pretty important when it comes to making a save, especially in the low levels.

>one action in the day and the other in night
Makes sense to me, I guess.

I want to make a necromancer named Necro of the house Philia. I've never made a mage before and would like to know what spells and cantrips i should have/ how i should play the character in combat situations.

About to start Rise of Tiamat.

Don't do that, user.

If you want to do that, and you probably shouldn't unless you want to make an explicitly and sincerely heroic necromancer, you should ask you DM if you can make a Death Domain Cleric instead.

My rogue wants to use a custom grappling hook as a main weapon, still tossing up ideas on different ways to do it. I suggested custom daggers with hooks tied to a rope. should work okay.

Kits, Pouch and Tools are only a one use and go? also, the arcane focus is Overpowered in my opinion makes the component pouch useless

Arcane Focus and Component Pouch are the same thing mechanically though, they're items that take up a hand and allow you to cast spells with costless material components

no, kits, pouches, and tools aren't one use, you moron, the chisel doesn't shatter into fragments when you finish a statue

Wat? No, they're not single use. Also a component pouch requires only a free hand, you need to have your focus in your off-hand to actually use it.

He's just going to be you're average joe, that just he likes to dabble in it to be a sincerely heroic necromancer.

I'll change his name to something else then.

correct me if i am retarded
Component Pouch:
You can have an staff in one hand and the pouch in other

Focus:
You can only use the focus?

Focus can be one-handed, pouch requires a free hand to use (but not a hand to hold, it can just be on your belt or something)

Consider whether the items in a kit need to be replaced. Toolkits should be able to be used over and over, and it'd be a good incentive to have improved toolkits for your players. Thieves tools might be the only exception on account of their delicacy., so bad rolls might result in them breaking.
I like the arcane focus, but if you don't like the idea you could require that your players need the actual material components for rituals.
I'd suggest having an upkeep cost to keep the tools in good condition and replacing them after a while, but having money be the only punishment/requirement is pretty video-gamey IMO. A toolkit can be something that a character can get attached to, or they might be an heirloom from a master, similarly skilled relative, or fellow apprentice.
Necro Philia's not a terribly good name. If he's actually going to just be dabbling in it, you might want to go with an abjuration school and spells, then pick up the necromancy spells as a minority.
Spells require a free hand due to the somatic components, i.e. hand waving, in addition to reaching into the component pouch, so you'll still always need a free hand even if your arcane focus is a necklace or jewelry or something.

Understood, i think that i will make the player using a component pouch actively go and look for components in his down time, or make it have 10 uses

Are there any unique character sheets? I had a really cool one a few months back, but the Veeky Forums link expired and i lost the one i had :( It's not i the mega file.

Way too much effort just to make tools that are already of questionable value and rarely used, a bit worse and more annoying. I really don't think it fits 5e to have upkeep costs that vary for the different tools, and if that's the case why don't you need to pay to keep your sword sharp and repair armor?

it's in the pastebin, a megafire download.

Op asked for homebrew armor i will make one for the sake of it

Armor of Drumin Legendary
This armor gives you +3 AC and +1 Damage Reduction

Thanks man

Don't do this! Most material components AREN'T used up by the spell! Check the spell descriptions.

IIRC evocation is one of the worst, Divination and Illusion are among the best schools. School doesn't matter too much though, the spell list is the same so you're gonna be effective no matter which you choose if you have good spells. In terms of what is fun, divination has a lot of cool rp uses, transmutation is fun too I think.

Which druid do you guys think is better, Land or Moon? I have to choose between them and am kinda stumped.

Moon no question.

It's the same price as one of the most expensive foci, you're basically being a jackass DM for a mechanic that doesn't matter that much.

All that's going to happen is you're never going to see players use spells with material components and you'll be sorry when you realize they're not that powerful.

Moon is basically a 3aboo trap. Land has a ton of flexibility and is basically a Mage with the Druid list, more a 2E druid than 3e.

I talked him into being a warforged instead

I played Druid in 2E and liked it a lot. I'll probably go with that then. Thanks.

what color is the assassins blood poison? i was thinking in making it red so my players think it is a healing potion 8)

Sounds fine to me!

The madman (mad-dwarf?) barbarian lashed a chain to the end of a beartrap; like a big, crude flying guillotine.
It didn't usually work as intended, but when it did? God damn

so by 8) you mean "making it a potion of poison which already exists"

There's an actual item in the DMG called Potion of Poison, that is masked by illusion magic to make it look, smell and taste like healing potions. It's cool, because the illusion holds up unless the players get smart and cast Detect Magic or Identify.

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on
>no homebrew
If that homebrew archive went down or something you should probably remove the 'homebrew list' bit in future generals.

That's just really unnecessary. As said, most material components aren't consumed, and the ones players do have to buy or look for are the ones with a gp cost attached.

So another player played a druid and when low on hp, transformed back to normal form and then used wildshape again the turn after, can you not just wild shape while you're an animal?

It just got removed with the weak reasoning that with DMsG no one would use it.

Pretty sure it hadn't been updated in several months too. Someone wanna start a mega folder and put anything in it made by 5eg users?

What does a health potion and assassin blood potion smell like?

I can make one with everything I've got but that's not just 5eg stuff and a lot of it is missing too. also it would have my sorting pattern.

Seems pointless to have one if it's not exclusively 5eg only really. Otherwise we might as well just use DMsG anyway.

I don't use it much because it's such a hassle to write price, add to cast, confirm, "purchase", prep download and then download. I only use the site if something specific is recommended or very popular.

Old thread, because OP was too cheap a fuck to link it:

cart*

That's true. Someone make a homebrew mega then. Preferably someone who foresees being around for a long ass time, because the last one got abandoned.

Not my equipment exactly, but my group's campaigns are generally high power. The party leader, due to various in-character actions, gained access to a super-duper elemental twinblade that had various effects every turn on a d6.

Is there something like a wilderness location random table? like a big rock in the forest and shit like that

Like molasses and maple syrup.

Downsides as I said, a ton of other stuff, and my naming structure may not be the best, but I made one.

mega.nz/#F!9AZmyIIb!WriTv3MiQ2kv8eZmUsXpRA

My players encountered a myconid warrior NPC who accompanied them for a while. I wanted to give him a unique weapons, so i made a fungal club for him that resembles a macuahuitl, and has charges of ensnaring strike that it can cast on a successful hit.
The party will encounter some more of these weapons, which they will be able to take, but they require attunement by someone who can cast speak with plants

love those random tables

salty milk

One of my players got caught flat footed without his weapon so he spent a fairly lavish amount of to give his punch an extra punch.

In essence one of his gauntlets is extra bulky because its a compartment filled to the bring with gun powder and shrapnel. Its rigged that when force is exerted directly backwards(IE; when he punches something) the latch releases and in the process of doing so strikes some flint and ignites the powderkeg.

Ive basically given him the gun rule where if he rolls a 2 or under while striking with his weapon his gauntlet goes off by accident.

Its gone off by accident far more than hes actually gotten to use it but it was a pretty radical idea

Which class is best suited to roleplay a magical girl?

Gameplay wise probably the Sorcerer, because he has many elemental spells and can fly.

Fluff wise it's the warlock, because most magical girls get their powers from other enities or objects.

Starting at level 9

Monk (Sun Soul) 6 / Rogue 1 / Cleric (Light) 2
or
Rogue (Assassin) 6 / Paladin (Vengeance) 3

Sun Soul and Light Cleric have some fun synergy, and a one-level dip in rogue is mainly for expertise. If I snag a d6 sneak attack every now and again then that's nice, but this guy is essentially a cavalry archer played as a battlefield controller/support. I'll give up three ki points and access to the Monk 18 and 20 abilities, but to be honest we probably won't get that high anyway and the ability to use Burning Hands (or Searing Arc Strike, whatever) with cleric slots as well as ki points makes up for the three lower points. Major issues really is the amount of competition for bonus action stuff.

On the other hand, assassin/paladin works good for always having advantage on everything. Hunter's Mark, sneak attack, smite and assassinate means that I can make the most of the single attack per turn - going for Paladin 5 for extra attack means I give up the possibility of the Assassin 17 capstone, and while I probably won't get that high it's nice to aim for. This guy's played as a straight assassin, single-target spike damage then retreat with stealth.

Which would you rather see in a group?

It's off topic, but I had a cyperpunk character who had a shotgun built into his cyberleg. Whenever he kicked you, you also got blasted from the most point blank a range could possible be.

Anyone have any decent homebrew for a half-dragon race? Wanting to be a descendant of Bahamut for next session.

Chain Feylock

Have all the pores on his body been sealed shut by scar tissue?

Dragonborn? What else do you want than damage res and breath weapon? Half-dragons are in the MM and are not a player race, dragonborn however, depending on the setting, are sometimes descendants of dragons. Or just play a Draconic BL Sorc.

Necromancer's waaaaaaaay better than death priest if you want to be nonevil or more importantly if you want to have tough undead, though the name is fucking terrible.

1 level of cleric, should you have the prereqs, could be good, I like either a cleric of life (for the armor and irony) or death (for appropriateness and the dual cantrip attack)

His hand definitely

I feel like i shouldve bumped the damage he takes higher than 1d4 but rule of cool man. Its a tabletop game so what if he punches people with a grenade.

Moon druid isn't broken in the same way the 3.5 druid was broken, where it could fight as well as two fighters and cast spells on top of that. The moon druid in 5e is called an onion druid because it has layer after layer of effective temporary HP from its wild shapes, making it easily the most durable class in the game. Its offensive capabilities while in onion mode are very limited, though.

Could be cool. Not exactly sure how you'd work it out for 5e without breaking the game though.

Back when me and my friends were playing 3.5, our gnome bard, who was called Grumple Four Skin, piloted two types of mechs during our campaign. They weren't exactly mechs per say, they were actually living constructs that had it's head removed from it's shoulders and controls built into it's torso. The DM balanced them by having the head exposed in the back for it's weak spot and if the head died the rest of the construct died and didn't work. He was essentially piloting the construct like a mind controlling parasite like this video. youtube.com/watch?v=Go_LIz7kTok

The first mech had an open cockpit and was made of wood so enemies can choose to target him or the mech for attacks;area damage from spells affected both of them. The second mech was made of metal and gave him cover which prevented him from being attack directly and the cover protected him from area damage. Both of the mechs were physically strong and could attack with a cannons. Grumple didn't use the mech's strength much in battle he mainly used it as artillery and for carrying heavy objects and cargo.

The mech might seem a bit over powered but several of our players were playing over powered classes, so the mechs never stole the show. That being said, I still don't know how you'd introduce it into a 5e campaign without making it over powered, yet still better than just playing your character without one. Max player stats at 20 and max monster stats at 30 don't leave too much wiggle room.

>Its offensive capabilities while in onion mode are very limited, though.
*On higher levels.

Also, can you cast wildshape again if you're transformed?

The onion thing is entirely shut down by DM ruling since it's based on a misinterpretation of the rules afaik

Are there any rules for making constructs in 5e, and does a warforged's living construct actually do anything beyond +1 AC?

God that's a cringeworthy video.

And what rules are those?

Chaining wildshapes.

The variant druid circle things like the deathblossom are just fan/third party stuff, right?

Hey, I'm trying to roll up a character for our friday game this week. I have no idea what I want to play, and am looking for some inspiration. First roll over 15 on a d20 picks my race and class? My array is 17 15 14 13 12 10

How so? The rule that makes it work is the rule about polymorphing and HP. Damage you take while in wild shape doesn't count (unless you run out of your wild shape's HP and the excess carries over to your real HP.) This means that a moon druid can gain the equivalent of triple-digit temporary HP as a bonus action, and then do it again when it runs out. And if you're not level 20 and can't do this an infinite number of times, when you run out of wild shapes you are still a full caster who can summon a bunch of meat shields/extra actions.

So it's unclear if you can wild shape again while transformed? I () asked for clarification but I can't see anything in the rules that forbids it.

I like weapons becoming magical after being used for a great deed, so after slaying high CR monstrosities or after hewing hordes they might find on a shirt rest their weapon has gained an enchantment after being bathed in the blood of its enemies.

It also lets me tailor the weapon to the user, so I do some unique things based on what they like to do.

Even if you can't wildshape while transformed, onion druids are still ludicrously hard to kill for a full caster, because their HP is the sum total of their real HP plus the HP of all the wild shapes they can do in a day, plus their potential to heal themselves with spell slots..

I just realized if you are the type of necromancer that just uses your high level spell slots to summon undead you could easily jump around and grab other classes so long as they don't slow your spellcasting progression and still utilize all your high level spell slots. You really only need animate dead and the level 6 necromancer feature. Although create undead is cool too.

I can't find a reason that you can't do it, but I guess it's a reasonably small nerf. Another I've seen is that if you are forcibly returned to normal form, you fall prone.

So are there any kinds of chars that can halfway reliably take on the blue half dragon that you fight early on in that Tiamat adventure?

A goliath paladin maybe?

Goliaths are in the game? What? When? Where? Are they any good?

Elemental Evil book.
Like, over a year ago.
They're alright.

Can you use Great Weapon Mastery's sweet +10 to damage thingy with polearm mastery?

Yes.

Can you get any bonuses to your off hand 2wf attack without a fighting style class feature?

Any bonuses at all, or damage? For damage there's rage, magical weapons and taking the fighting style feat.

The DMG mentions paladins sworn to sorcerers.

Rate and hate the Oath of the Sorcerer-Lord

Wizard, get lucky with Hold Person and then murder him

Play Dragonborn, Ask GM for Platinum-shade scales and a Radiant-Breath attack to play up on a more direct descendant of Bahamut himself.

>Hold Person
>Dragon
Read the spell hombre

I meant accuracy too but I didn't even know there was a fighting style feat, I'm still used to 3.5 so I was looking for something called "two weapon fighter" or whatever

Half-Dragon's are humanoids. Oh boy you must be embarrassed

Also, meant to say thanks, so thanks.