Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

"Why can't we all just get along?" Edition.
When asking about build advice, remember to be sure to mention whether or not third party material (3pp) is allowed!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here: web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/gnome/experimental-gunsmith-gunslinger-gnome
myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=838913
docs.google.com/document/d/1FcMpsY7ancpaWiBpFhI_jlARL8p2OXZhaFxAjzJCyW4/edit
d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/ricochet-shot-deed-grit
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

...what the fuck man.

Is the last thread still live? Or should I repost my question here?

Daily reminder that homura did nothing wrong.

What?

At page 10, the thread is on its last breaths. Might be wise to repost here.

How does a grappling hook work? Had some conflicts with my last game.
Diagram
A: Grappling Hook catches on a lip
B: Grappling Hook jams its self on the facing getting stuck
C: Grappling Hook can work on an edge
1)
Let's ask the first question, does a grappling hook/arrow/bolt need a specific orientation or placement for it to work? Some wordings says target object or structure with out stating what form it is?
Example: Steadfast Grapple

If yes, we can try and answer the next questions, if the rest is moot.
2)
Next lets go with a normal Grappling Hook. I assume when you throw it, it has to catch a lip i.e. position A. But can a grappling hook be thrown and used like in C?

3)
Now Grappling Arrow/Bolt. Do they function as A? or do they function as B? My thinking is that because you are firing an object it has the force or strength to lodge itself. OR that you are only firing to get effect A cause throwing it is harder. I side on B cause 2 other objects(while magical) reference that it hits the smooth surface or whatever. Cornerstone Crossbow. It mentions "to anchor on corners and walls of structures". Another item is the Caver's Bolt. It says "chooses a solid surface within weapon range".

4)
Now if Grappling Arrows/Bolt do B is true, another question comes up. I read somewhere that removing a grappling arrow/bolt is a strength check vs the attack which hit the wall.
i.e. Ranged attack roll with a crossbow is 1d20+8 and I get an 18. That beats an AC of 5 to hit the target object/structure. Now to remove said arrow/bolt I need a strength check vs DC 18. Can anyone source me on this? I read it somewhere or maybe I was imagining things.

Recruiting for an online, text-only Pathfinder game to be held over MapTool. The schedule will be decided on by the players, but the available time frames are:
Monday 10:00 P.M. GMT to Tuesday 11:30 A.M. GMT
Tuesday 10:00 P.M. GMT to Wednesday 11:30 A.M. GMT
Wednesday 10:00 P.M. GMT to Thursday 11:30 A.M. GMT
Thursday 10:00 P.M. GMT to Friday 11:30 A.M. GMT
Saturday 4:00 A.M. GMT to Saturday 10:00 A.M. GMT

This will be a combat-focused game (though not necessarily 100% combat-focused) wherein you invade Hell, battle legions of devils, and fight every unique devil on d20pfsrd.com. Asmodeus has gone missing, an extremely powerful angel has taken his place, and the angel has sent out a call challenging heroes to take the throne from him.

25 point buy. Roll for hit points or take the average, but you must decide beforehand. No Unchained rules. Third-party material (e.g. Dreamscarred Press) is looked upon leniently.

Characters are supposed to be CR 20 (yes, CR) and can be built from any combination of class levels, monster races (25 point buy applies, NOT the +4/+4/+2/+2/+0/–2 array), templates (e.g. Agile mythic template), mythic tiers, and PC/NPC wealth. CR must be calculated appropriately, exempting the point buy.

Skype contact username:
argetlampuppeh

OK follow up. I found where I read up that you need a strength check to remove a grappling hook. My question is, does this apply to the other grappling hooks? Are these "rules" specifically mentioned for the Grapple Launcher for the Experimental Gunsmith(Gunslinger) only?
d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/gnome/experimental-gunsmith-gunslinger-gnome

Dazzling Display + Shatter Defenses

Worth it?

Blink-back belt a shit.
At worst, anyone with at least five levels in Fighter (and, let's be honest here, dips into Fighter are good for a throwing build) can pick up Ricochet Toss at level 6-7. And before that level, you don't really need to retrieve thrown weapons - just throw a load of cheap shit.

Do monster cohort get +4 +4 +2 +2 0 -2 ability score adjustment (as monster with PC class level)?

Any suggestion for Pseudodragon cohort class? Maybe Unchained Rogue?

It just depends on what else you do. If those are all you do, no. But if you're a Thug Rogue with Equipment Trick (cloak) or have some other way to force it to go into Frighten status or get other benefits? Sure.

mein neger

What gmt +0, +1, +3, ?

GMT is GMT 0

if you start at CR 20 wouldn't you be able to start at level 20 to begin with?

Yes, exactly.

then are you expected not to level up through the course of the game if you do? how is that handled?

Multiclassing, gaining templates, gaining mythic tiers (+1 per two tiers, rounded down, minimum +1), etc.

So.. I'm a level 7 character with Leadership feat.

This is the right stat for Pseudodragon cohort?

myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=838913

What's the thoughts on Piercing Thunder?

I'm looking at making a Silver Crane/Piercing Thunder/Elemental Flux Knight-Chandler for an upcoming game I might be joining.

It's got some frighteningly fun and powerful maneuvers at 5th tier, but life is suffering before that.

For anyone who missed it, Lords of the Wild had an update yesterday. Changelog below

docs.google.com/document/d/1FcMpsY7ancpaWiBpFhI_jlARL8p2OXZhaFxAjzJCyW4/edit

Added animal form size to the werewolf template
Added Greater Werewolf and Formless Master prestige classes
Werewolf requirement removed from Varsark
Size Shift renamed to Magnitude Shift
Text added to Rapid Shifting and Extra Shifting to clarify that it does not require that you be shifted
Tail added to Deathsting Shift
Chameleon Shift, Identity Shift, and Sensory Shift added
Temporary natural weapons created by Chimera Soul maneuvers now do damage as normal for their size and type

You`ll mostly ignore it until around level 9. Lucky for you, E.Flux and Silver Crane are both top-class, offering you tons of utilities and damage.

You`ll probably grab the level 3 E.Flux stance and stick to it anyways.

Lords of the Awakened Mages when?

I'd rather have a Lords of the Promethean Fire.

Was always my favorite gameline.

Does that make Path of War the de facto "Lords of the Vigil," with martial traditions as the equivalent of compacts/conspiracies?

I'm making a lion-man in a campaign where Path of War (Expanded) is not only allowed but encouraged.

Should I go with Warlord or Warder? Magnetic charm and majestic mane, or furious combat prowess and Certified Pride Protector?

P.S. Heavy optimization is encouraged.

How does the cr thing work?

20th-level PC with 20th-level PC WBL = CR 20

15th-level PC with 15th-level PC WBL and mythic tier 10 = CR 20

16th-level PC with 16-level NPC WBL and mythic tier 10 = CR 20

I know your question is more gameplay mechanics related and they work fine in the confines of a game but just to be 'THAT GUY', real world grappling hooks aren't used to climb walls or buildings like that because you have no idea what you have hooked and are putting your life in the hands of something not randomly breaking.

so in the sense of being a game, it could technically function as C if the hook were designed as such, but it would carry the exact same issues as A would in real life, stupidly high risk

I would assume the gun functions as A and if it did function as B it would be even more prone to failure as you have damaged the thing you are trying to put all your weight on

i am aware i didn't really answer any of your questions : ^ )

So as a 3.5 Thri-Kreen what are some interesting ways to take advantage of my 4 arms and multi-attack?
Cavalier using 4 lances on the charge?
Dervish dancer getting twice the attacks on a full attack?
A long spear and short spear?
4 scimitars?
2 Greatswords?

>Cavalier using 4 lances on the charge?
>oh I get to play this new race with strange anatomy!
>let me show my DM why he should never allow this shit again!
Faggots like you are how we end up with endless humans with rubber foreheads.

Isn't a lance treated as a two-handed weapon regardless?

When mounted a lance counts as a one handed weapon actually

Well ok guy, buddy, bro, man whatever you want to be. I'm just at the drawing board and I'm just throwing things out there that came to me at the top of my head, I actually haven't started working on this at all. Which is why I'm asking for other ideas since I wanted something exciting to try out but google just gets me optimized builds with the sole purpose of getting this highest numbers possible with tome of battle and sneak attacks. Do you have something more constructive you would like to add or are you just gonna be a negative nancy and leave me with the Cavalier with 4 lances idea, cause I'm more than open to listen to your ideas and opinions

>While mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand.

I'm not sure this means it's treated as a one-handed weapon for all intents and purposes or if you can just use it with one hand exclusively for this purpose

I suppose it might be up to the DM, but I asked my own DM about this a while back cause I planning on making a Knight and he told me that while mounted it would count as a one handed weapon since I could use a shield in the off hand, or god forbid if I had 2 weapon fighting that using 2 lances would be possible. That's what my DM runs with, so I can't say for sure personally

Speaking of which, which disciplines are generally good compared to the others? I'm currently running with cursed razor/elemental flux/mithril current/riven hourglass, and that's been working out fine for me so far, but my DM has made it clear that I can sub out disciplines no problem as long as I can find someone willing to teach me (and this campaign has been pretty heavy on those so far).

I'm thinking of picking up Black Seraph when I can, and Cursed Razor is definitely staying due to fitting my character the best as far as flavor is concerned, but I'm not sure which of my other three to drop for Black Seraph, or if I should be using something different. What do you think? I'm using a dex build and scimitar, if that makes any difference.

Honestly?
Your current combo is really solid.
Riven definitely beats out black seraph.
If you have animus, so does Elemental Flux.
If you have a reliable method of free action sheathing, so does Mithral Current.

You don't really need to make the trade.
It does slightly depend on your class as well, of course.

Being fair here, you already have the three pretty much "best" disciplines. the only other ones I think you'd enjoy learning are Fool's Errand (because it has some really hilarious shenanigans in it) and Primal Fury (because of how much damage you'd deal.

Chimera Soul might be worth it if you want the stances.

As a Warder that wants more maneuvers and stances, should I repeatedly get Advanced Study or grab the Martial Training feat chain?

Huh, alright then. I didn't realize those three were considered to be so good. This is my first time even messing with disciplines. And yeah, I do have animus and the ability to free-action sheath. Those have been my bread and butter, and they're why my character has been so good in combat thus far.

If Black Seraph is significantly worse than those three, though, then I'll skip it. It's cool, but I'm not about to give up something that's already working better. What are some of the better maneuvers I should be on the lookout for?

Out of curiosity, how does Cursed Razor generally stack up? Like I said, that's staying no matter what for flavor reasons, but I'm curious to know how well it usually does.

What are some cheap magic items/good 3pp feats to beef up my character?
By "beef up" I mean more HP, temporary HP, DR, Resistances, that kind of thing. The ability to take damage and keep chugging along.
So far all I've got is my class features and a +4 CON belt.

Also - is there a magic item that grants Ferocity? I'd really like that.

>mfw warder doesnt get the cool disciplines like elemental flux and shattered mirror
>mfw get sleeping goddess or piercing thunder instead

There is a faqs for it. Lance is still a two-handed weapon when you wield it with one hand. You even get x1.5 STR and attack with it.

Wrong. Check your fact again before posting.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/ricochet-shot-deed-grit

Is Ricochet Shot really worth it?

I really want to see Class templates that give Animus, since mystics are the only ones who can really use it and not shoot themselves in the foot for it.

>mfw warder
>mfw sleeping goddess

Black Seraph isn't amazing - it's a damage dealing discipline, but it's more useful for evil characters because it lets you hit good ones harder. Primal fury has the same sort of damage against all enemies, instead.

Cursed Razor is very good, in that it's nonstandard attacks much of the time, especially the abilities that target stats. It's about on par with Black Seraph, but Black Seraph is more useful if you don't already have a direct damage discipline.

Only the first lance get extra damage.
If you don't have pounce, you can't even do it.

Dervish dancer doesn't work because you can't carry anything on your offhand, and all your other hand are offhand.

>Black Seraph isn't amazing
>Immunity piercing 100% lockdown with zero save or defence isn't amazing

Nigga what

Thanks for spamming Homufag!!

There's a Ranger archetype, explicitly for four-armed races, focused around dual-wielding longbows.

fug i messed up meant to say eternal guardian
sleeping goddess is pretty cool

you talking shit about motherfucking EG?
i will fight you right here right now you little shit

Hmm, fair enough. My character is LN, a Hellknight in training. So less outright evil and more zealous and militaristic.

My DM even modified the Hellknight Commander prestige class to continue giving me initiator levels, in exchange for moving down in HD and getting 3/4 BaB progression instead of full. I'm certainly not complaining about the trade-off.

It's so boring compared to some of the other disciplines.
hey this area is under my protection vs hey look at me im shitting lightning out my mouth

I first read that as "shitting lighting into your mouth." I'd use that discipline in a heartbeat.

All the PoW:E disciplines in general except piercing thunder are cooler than the PoW ones.

It's pretty natural that the three new classes have access to cooler disciplines.
There's always Fiendbound Marauder/Ordained Defender. And Fool's Errand, too.

>actually using the "poor man's warder" counters
>ignoring the rest of the discipline
i bet you've never used fear the reaper to intimidate the BBEG into missing your helpless NPC ally
i bet you've never used binding fetters to teleport an escaping piece of shit back to you while cackling maniacally
i bet you've never used strike of the steadfast legion to keep a squad of level 1 militiamen alive when the GM intended to massacre them

yeah i'm sure your cherry blossom anime samurai is too much of a pussy for any of that

user have you even read Eternal Guardian all the way through
You're not a protector so much as a demonic jailer

>Fuck you can't escape me I'm teleporting to you
>Or if I don't feel like moving I'm teleporting you back to me
>Also if I smack you, you're now cursed with debilitating effects unless you get on your knees and beg
>And if you try and be sneaky and do anything else the penalties just get worse
>Also I'm scary

a proper mithral current user will always beat an eternal guardian user prove me wrong

I'm a dervish warder.
You can't beat me 1 on 1 no matter what.

That said,
>discipline based around killing enemies vs discipline based around defense and control
>in a 1 on 1 duel
Gee, I wonder who would win that. Damn, ya got me there!

I have teleporting around may be fun but the whole discipline revolves around oh hey im scary plus the fact that you can teleport with most of the new discs just doesn't make it as appealing.

It's a shitty discipline built around crowd control and debilitation on a class that does those two things as class features, and in fact has many strikes and stances in other disciplines that does it too.

Eternal Guardian is crap, CRAP.

Okay, here's a crazy plan.

My party, a level 4 wizard (me), a level 4 paladin and a level 4 monk have to steal the eye of an ancient deity from three wizards who nicked it from my character's master (a wizard of unknown level, at least 5 but probably at least 7 - the three wizards are probably about the same in level) in the first place. Said master is there to help too.

Trouble is, said wizards have built themselves a sort of trading post in a huge cave, which they rule with enough of an iron fist that drow and duergar actually sort of nonviolently trade with each other there. Part of the reason for that is the presence of the Iudex, some minion of the wizards that may or may not be human and gets teleported to anywhere in the cave when he is called to solve a dispute, which he usually does by killing the one he judges to be at fault with some devastating spell.

The trouble is not only the presence of the three wizards and this Iudex (if it is not just one of the wizards themselves) but also that they live in a tower in the corner of the cave that has absolutely no entrances. They come and leave by teleportation magic, which our characters have no access to, save for another ancient artifact they already have.

This artifact is a ring with three gems on it. Each of the gems can be taken out and left anywhere in the world and possibly even on other planes, and when a magical word is spoken by the wearer, unique to each gem, the wearer and all in direct or indirect physical contact with him and all their belongings are teleported to the location of the gem. After this the ring cannot be used for a couple of weeks.

(Cont.)

>Eternal Guardian is crap, CRAP.
Name another 2nd level counter as powerful as Fear the Reaper

I need a good shapeshifting build, race is gnome.

What should I play?

Been looking at Lunar Oracle.

The crazy plan I had is as follows - since the thee wizards (the Saru) lied to us about the circumstances in which they obtained the Eye in such a way that was meant to make us distrust my characters' master we might be able to pull off actually believing that shit. In that case, my character might be convinced to be let into the tower, possibly after some shenanigans like "revealing" that the wizard's master is actually hiding deeper in the caves while he's actually already left but left traces of his presence there. In that case my character might be able to take the Eye if he gets to touch it for long enough to yell the word while the rest of the party leaves on an urgent mission (which really is urgent enough that convincing them that that's not shady isn't the hard part in this plan).

The trouble is, my character has lied to the Saru already. When first contacted by his master hiding in the caves he hid this from his party members in fear that they believed the tales of the Saru and that my characters' judgement was clouded by his personal connection. So he lied that he spoke to one of the Saru instead - a lie that ended up backfiring when the party members passed that story on to another member of the Saru. We haven't spoken to the one my character claimed to have spoken to yet, but the story I've stitched up is shady at best.

Of course, the other party members know the true story now and are fine with all of it (though angry at my character for lying) but the lie to the Saru remains. So, even if I manage to get around that by claiming that it was my character's master with a magical disguise or something the Saru might still be distrusting, and their greed and sneaky cruelty is well-known. So I'm afraid that they might not only end up capturing my character, which is a risk I'm willing to take, but also obtain the ring my character needs to be wearing. (Cont.)

Something that isn't a gnome.

Too bad, it's already gnome.

Why would you search there when Archives of Nethys already fucking has it. Who made that? Why?

You kidding? That disc is super cool and super flavorful.

pfg, name your top five disciplines:

1. Sleeping Goddess
2. Fool's Errand
3. Mithral Current
4. Tempest Gale
5. Elemental Flux

So, my plan was to have the ring seared into the finger of my character and let the wound be healed by the paladin and either let the scars be nonexistent through immediate magical healing being applied or get masked in some way, depending on what the DM allows. In that way the ring can never be taken off in time for them to realize that it can only be taken off by cutting of my character's hand or finger and actually do that before he can wake up and say the word to teleport them - right in the middle of all his allies, of course.

Now, how stupid and dangerous is this plan? Is it even feasible at all? Should I just not go through with it? The Eye is an important artifact and could help us immensely but it is not critical to our core mission, but it is certainly in bad hands if it's with the Saru and our true enemies might catch wind of its location and come get it with enough manpower to tear their tower and cave apart, which would be really bad for us too. So what's the best course of action here?

I feel so unloved.

MFW no images on phone to show I'm joking. MFW there literally is no face for me to use.

Your disciplines aren't anime enough.

Hi Gareth.

What core class do you guys think is the best for a LG character who always functions as the first and last line of defense of the innocent people?

>name your top five disciplines:

1. Iron Tortoise
2. Silver Crane
3. Sleeping Goddess
4. Eternal Guardian
5. Riven Hourglass

Not in that order. In no order, in fact.

Cleric

1. Black Seraph
2. Scarlet Throne
3. Elemental Flux
4. Eternal Guardian
5. Tempest Gale

>Elemental Flux
>Silver Crane
>Riven Hourglass
>Solar Wind
>Broken Blade

Paladin with that one archetype that changes your smite to a defense buff

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings Gareth ;_; I just don't think eternal guardian is cool like the other disciplines.

What domains? I was thinking Abiuration Wizard.

Sorry, but disciplines are ALL about what they do for my warsoul or mech's guns.

I believe in debuffing through superior firepower.

>Mithral Current
>Thrashing Dragon
>Veiled Moon
>Scarlet Throne
>Riven Hourglass
>BONUS: Stalker is unironically my favorite PoW class
>I have never, EVER played in a group that allowed PoW, or any other DSP material

A fellow "first increment extends beyond the map" fan of a certain Silver Crane attack, huh?

A real treat after all those levels of "this only works on a melee hit"

Can you switch to a different PoW stance as an Immediate action? If not, how do I make it possible?

Swifts only.

Is there any way to get Smite Evil to scale from non-Paladin class levels?

>MapTool
>Skype

How come primal disciple doesn't get any of the new disciplines?

>primal disciple
>gets the oldest disciplines
it's not rocket science user

EG wasn't me.

Is there anything fundamentally wrong with taking Advanced Study basically every time a feat choice comes up?
Aside from taking 3 style feats, that's all I'm going for, I think.

Why did you guys limit the disciplines the old classes could get?