MTG Standard

This thread is for those fools who still like to play standard

What are you...

>Playan?
>Brewan?
>Testan?

So how does one make a good blue/red deck for standard? What cards are necessities?

Other urls found in this thread:

channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ur-flyers/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblins-soi/
sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=103739
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-06-16-ur-aggro/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-03-16-vXO-uw-tempo/)
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-gold-standard-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Ive been playing Bant Humans since the beginning of this standard. This is the latest iteration of what I've brewed.

Lands (23)
3 Westvale Abbey
4 Plains
3 Port Town
1 Island
4 Forest
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Fortified Village

Creatures (23)
4 Duskwatch Recruiter
2 Hanweir Militia Captain
4 Reflector Mage
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
3 Thraben Inspector
4 Tireless Tracker
2 Eldrazi Displacer

Enchantments (6)
4 Oath of Nissa
2 Always Watching

Planeswalkers (2)
2 Nissa, Voice of Zendikar

Instant (3)
1 Dromoka's Command
2 Negate

Sorcery (3)
3 Declaration in Stone

Sideboard (15)
1 Dragonlord Dromoka
2 Negate
4 Spell Shrivel
3 Ojutai's Command
2 Clip Wings
3 Tragic Arrogance

>Playan?
Vamps
>Brewan/Testan?
EDH

Rise from the Tides is a UR wincon not everyone expects

Flip a TiTi
Cast Rise from the Tides
They answer or die

Was pñaying UB Brain meme deck for a while bedore switchinh to MonoU Prison. I'll never switch back to Brains anymore.

Multiple copies of Brains is awful, but multiple copies of Prism Ring aand Jace Sanctum is godlike.

LSV tried to plaay this deck but he didnt undertand how the deck plays. It was aa paain to watch how he wasted his PtW.

what the fuck is this garbage card and is it really seeing standard play or are you screwing with me?

>So how does one make a good blue/red deck for standard? What cards are necessities?

channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-ur-flyers/

you could try this deck out for starters. Goldnight Castigator is like $2 right now

>4 mana screws a turn or bounces and/or shocks a creature or PW

Versatility can save your ass

UB FLYING use it in the sb. Its prettty good vs aristocrats

Castigator is pretty horrible. If you opponent drops aa hasty fatty like Reality Smasher, the pain will ve enless

Playing: Just switched and joined the GW tokens bandwagon. Is there a stronger deck in standard right now? Going to do 3 GPTs this month.

Brewing: RW madness

Testing: Bant tokens (skyspawners seem good with nissa and gideon?)

What are some great cards for a R/G Aggro deck with the selection of avalaible cards "legal" in my playgroup extending back to theros?

>Playan
White Weenies
>Brewan
WB Sac triggers
>Testan
UR Horror tribal
it fucking sucked

Playing GW Tokens.

Yesterday I played a 9 man tourney and the finals were me and a Monoblue Prison with B splash.

Fuck those assholes playing this deck. I manage to get rid of their Jace Sanctum since my dromokas command can only interact with that. The fucker keeps bouncing my stuff and gaining life from the 3 Prism Rings he casted on the first 2 turns. Gideon helps keeping presure on him, but at bounced with the rest of my creatures and tokens. He then played a black sorcery with delirium and exiles my gideons and nissas from my hand and deck. The loop keeps going with days undoing, bouncing creatures and exiling my stuff with that fucking spell.

I conceded game 2 but was too late and it ended in a draw. He ended with 48 lifes and managed to get 91 lifes in one turn.

Seriously fuck these assholes.

give a full tournament report

whats your 75 look like

how do you sb

I dont understand how the hell did you lose vs that shitty deck.
Just save ur dromokas command to get rid of Jace Sanctums and keep attacking till he run out of answers and thats it.

Prism Rings are a pain in the ass.

Just one question, at one point in game 3 he was just stalling the game. He didnt want to win at all and was just tapping, days undoing and tapping, bouncing and countering. Can that behavior be reported?

B/W eldrazi that fucks your hand up, turn 3 thought nazi and turn 3 gideon is the best possible play in the format

MAIN 2x Anguished Unmaking
2x Archangel Avacyn
1x Battlefield Forge
3x Blighted Fen
4x Caves of Koilos
3x Corrupted Crossroads
4x Eldrazi Displacer
4x Hedron Crawler
1x Llanowar Wastes
5x Plains
4x Reality Smasher
2x Ruins of Oran-Rief
4x Shambling Vent
2x Silkwrap
1x Sorin, Grim Nemesis
2x Stasis Snare
3x Swamp
4x Thought-Knot Seer
2x Transgress the Mind
3x Warping Wail
4x Wasteland Strangler

SIDE
4x Duress
2x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
4x Hallowed Moonlight
2x Infinite Obliteration
3x Languish

Currently playing

GW Tokens, B/W Eldrazi and U/R Flying Meme

How is U/R flyers doing? I'm playing U/W Tempo (spirits with some spice), considering a switch.

I still dont understand why people call Brains, Prison and U/R flying Meme decks.

I like the potential these decks represent in this meta. Hopefuly Eldritch Moon will give new stuff to them.

Not bad, but Castigator is a double edge card when facing Midrange decks.

I feel like castigator is a finisher, uncaged fury into titans strength seems way to good.

Guys, New Meme Deck

MonoGreen Aurora

Too bad its rotating ina few months with MonoBlue Cancer Prison.

mono green big things is really good too.

>top tier decks get beaten by shitbrews

Gee what's so new about that.

>Playan
Budget B/G aristocrats, not gonna buy CoCo when I use other cheap but not as creature fetches and with CoCo rotating.
>Brewing
R/W equipment
>Testan
Nothing right now, focused on edh

>Playan
Bant Clues
>Brewan?
Tribal Spirits, as soon as Eldritch Moon comes out anyways. Already got my Anafenzas and Rattlechains.
>Testan?
Oathkeepers, a Planeswalkers / Enchantments / Tokens deck. The deck itself is really janky, but I think the concept itself has modern potential.

>>Playan?
Atarka Red
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/goblins-soi/

>>Brewan?
bleh

>>Testan?
bleh

decks good enough to win 20 store creds last night. turns out goblin piledriver walks right past reflector mage, slaps your girls ass and takes your match points.

Do any of you play 3+ player Standard matches?

What type of deck makes sin prodder shine the most, high cmc, low cmc, etc?

Check out this massive meme deck that works pretty well

Standard UR Aggro

Spells: 22
2x Lightning Axe
2x Uncaged Fury
2x Expedite
4x Fiery Temper
4x Slip Through Space
4x Titan's Strength
4x Tormenting Voice

Creatures: 19
2x Jori En, Ruin Diver
4x Stormchaser Mage
2x Stratus Dancer
2x Thing in the Ice
2x Sanguinary Mage
4x Insolent Neonate
1x Zada, Hedron Grinder
2x Falkenrath Gorger

Lands: 19
10x Mountain
5x Island
4x Shivan Reef

High CMC, that way you can put fatties into your hand or bruise someone real bad.

Are there any other UR spells or creatures I should consider here? I was thinking what was in the OP would be a good sideboard but any thoughts otherwise? Adds or removes?

The problem with Sin Prodder is lands. The enemy can put them on the graveyard for free. That's why you want to play Sin Prodder alongside the Gitrog Monster in a Jund deck. Cards I'd use for such deck:

>Alms of the Vein
>Mindwrack Demon
>Incorrigible Youths
>Wolf of Devil's Reach
>Seasons Past
>Erebos's Titan
>Avaricious Dragon
>Pia and Kiran Nalaar
>Woodland Bellower
>Terra Stomper
>Dread Defiler
>Inverter of Truth
>Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
>Kozilek's Return
>Chandra Flamecaller
>Worldbreaker

Also definitely high cmc.

With that decklist you probably want Gideon or Always Watching on the maindeck, specially with Oath of Nissa. Also using +1/+1 counters and blinking is pretty counterproductive. Have you thought about using Knight of the White Orchid?, a CoCo variant could work too.

rise is easily answered, plus once they see you're in UR spellslinger it's not hard to know its coming

>Erebos's Titan in a 3-colour deck expecting to hit BBB t4
>playing Terra Stomper over the unfuckable easier-to-cast Gaea's Revenge
>Youths without Heir of Falkenrath
>Youths
>everything is high cmc and you don't even mention ramp or fixing
>avaricious dragon on turn 7
this isn't even a shitbrew it's just a pile of rares

>Playan?

BR Vamps, cuz I'm stubborn. Plus, this got me through decently vs. the mirror match, UR jank, and rites.

Creature (29)

3x Drana, Liberator of Malakir
4x Falkenrath Gorger
4x Heir of Falkenrath Flip
3x Incorrigible Youths
4x Indulgent Aristocrat
4x Olivia, Mobilized for War
3x Olivia's Bloodsworn
4x Ravenous Bloodseeker

Land (23)

2x Evolving Wilds
4x Foreboding Ruins
6x Mountain
4x Smoldering Marsh
7x Swamp

Instant (8)

4x Fiery Temper
2x Lightning Axe
2x Ultimate Price

Sideboard (15)

2x Duress
3x Fiery Impulse
2x Grasp of Darkness
3x Transgress the Mind
2x Ultimate Price
3x Visions of Brutality

>Brewan?
Nothing

>Testan?
Nothing

>evolving wilds in a 3 mana curve deck

I thought they were a better fit than shitty Cinder Barrens

i remember standard when theros was on the way out was baller for rg aggro, you got the og green 1 drop elvish mystic, you have stormbreath dragon, you got polukronos or however you spell the fucking 4 drop 5/5 hydra, my boy goblin rabblemaster. You have some good shit to work with.

im playing the u/w variant of u/r fliers sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=103739
im not about to shell out for gideons, should i run always watching or thunderclap wyvern as a curve topper?

>playin
5-colour dragons

>brewin
nothing atm i've lost inspiration

>testin
5c dragons it's too top heavy and it doesn't work and my deck is shit unless i have a dreamland hand or their deck is shit too. 5c mulligans poorly.

seems to be a good balance, i'm just not convinced vamps do anything well. outside of a sometimes aggressive start to punish slow hands. props for sticking with it
user is right though evolving wilds are a bad fit and 2-colour decks don't need the fixing. i think i'd play Grasp over Price unles BB is an issue for you.

>better fit than shitty Cinder Barrens
think about it this way. Wilds fetches either B or R which comes in tapped. Barrrens comes in tapped too but can hit either colour at any time thereon, making BB or RR on t2 or 3 very achievable without screwing over the other colour. probably have both you know t3. only advantage wilds has is deck thinning, and with 2 that is just mathematically inconsequential. Third option is to run two more basics, which with your needs should be fine.

was underwhelmed by UW atm. i don't think that your deck does anything well. try some games at FNM with it give it some testing. i don't want to dissuade you it can be fun, but it won't be great.

yeah im mostly just testing it out right now. I already had the mana base from when i tried week 1 spirits and the declarations so the rest was peanuts. I just really like u/w

Thanx for the tips, anonbro. I'll tweak it without the Wilds for this weekend. I've just been used to having the tapped land come in during an opponent's turn rather than mine for the longest, hence their inclusion.

Blinking Reflector Mage has been effective in testing. Thalia's Lieutenant ain't bad for blinking either.

i guess i'll post decklist
may have a card or two wrong

noncreatures 22
3x sarkhan unbroken
1x jace unraveler of secrets (no good at all, swapping out)
1x chandra flamecaller
3x oath of nissa
1x dragon tempest
2x radiant flames (plays poorly with advocate, good with everything else)
4x explosive vegetation
1x nissa's renewal
1x nissa's pilgrimage
2x pulse of murasa
3x draconic roar

creatures 14
1x nissa vastwood seer//nissa sage animist
2x woodland wanderer (fill in for advocates)
2x thunderbreak regent
2x dragonlord ojutai
2x dragonlord atarka
1x dragonlord kolaghan
1x dragonlord silumgar
1x dragonlord dromoka
1x sylvan advocate (works much better with playset but am poor right now)
1x ulamog the ceaseless hunger (too high really. i can hit ten but have to work for it, 6-8 is my comfy zone. not sure about cutting though he demands an answer)

lands 24
1x Cinder Glade
3x Evolving Wilds
4x Haven of the Spirit Dragon
7x Forest
3x Mountain
2x Island
1x Plains
1x Swamp
2x Lumbering Falls
2x Wandering Fumarole

>pros
lategame for days, draws continuously & lands threats
can fetch every basic out if left alone, making draws more meaningful
good colour fixing between oath/wilds/explosive/sarkhan/haven
sarkhan colour fixes too this is his deck his ult is glorious

>cons
poor early without radiant flames
low removal options, reliant on threats
mulligans poorly
if sarkhan gets to ultimate you don't even need it
jace a shit
100% reliant on explosive vegetables for ramp, too slow otherwise
too much lategame no early plays
dies to aggro & control & everything else (desu good at midrange due to dragonlords)

you have a lot of 1-ofs. you should focus on dragons that give you board control like dromoka and atarka. I guess silumgar is good for that too but UB seems awkward. your fixing is probably good enough for it? regent doesnt really go in your deck and wanderer seem bad because youre probably gonna have a hard time getting actual colored mana for it.

you should probably go 4-of radiant flames and roar, that should be enough to weather nonblue aggro (youre reflector mage's bitch tho). Maybe go up on pilgrimages. as far as ramp quantity goes, I would take pointers from rg ramp decks.

thanks for the tips, means a lot

>UB seems awkward
silumgar/ojutai are the hardest to cast as most of my manabase is temur. if i have them in hand from start i can hit their colours 90% of matches but when they topdeck sometimes i'm unprepared/have fetched the wrong colours. reliant on havens too.
>regent doesn't really go
agreed. but my early game was lacking and he fills that space well enough. not sure how i'm gonna fix my 2/3/4 drop slots really, this is the deck's flaw
>wanderer seem bad
yep, sometimes have to cast wanderer on t5 or on 4 for only 3 colours. this card was at it's best in khans/bfz time when it was a breeze to hit all the colours. easy one to cut. somewhat conversely though i can hit three colours for flames quite readily.

will try upping the roar + flames count and may add in some other spells. i'm not in white or black though plus green sucks for removal. such is life.
pilgrimages are a no go as they only get forest, my multicoloured needs are real. would probably help with speed though... might trial 2 of.
reflector mage is quite good against me as i have a single threat most times.
main problem with increasing from 1x is that Ojutai is a baller and must be played. Without white this would be much easier. Maybe cut Kolaghan/Silumgar in favour of an Atarka + Ojutai at 3ea...

>Are there any other UR spells or creatures I should consider here? I was thinking what was in the OP would be a good sideboard but any thoughts otherwise? Adds or removes?

Revised List

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-06-16-ur-aggro/

3 Lightning Axe
4 Fiery Temper
4 Titan's Strength
3 Tormenting Voice
2 Jori En, Ruin Diver
4 Stormchaser Mage
3 Stratus Dancer
2 Insolent Neonate
10 Mountain
5 Island
4 Shivan Reef
4 Exquisite Firecraft
4 Abbot of Keral Keep
4 Goldnight Castigator
2 Wandering Fumarole
2 Fiery Impulse

this is actually sweet holy fuck

I want to fit in Thing in the Ice and Falkenrath gorger, along with sanguinary. Is that possible or no?

sure it's possible
>titi
you've got the spell count. unsure about aggro playstyle with this card but could pay off.
>gorger
you don't have the vampire count, don't bother unless you intend to ignore text and play as a 2/1 for R in which case why not Zurgo?
>sanguinary mage
play it as a fifth (worse) Stormchaser Mage

i think you're trying to do too many things if we're shoving those in.
>it's an aggro deck
>also, it's a TITI deck but only sometimes
>also vampire tribal, i guess. why not?
remember, the point of aggro is to put the other guy to 0 ASAP. match points don't care which tribe you used to get them.

your gideon should never have became a creature to begin with tho

dont die standard thread :(

Veeky Forums is a modern board

I'm brewing a U/W spirits (tappedout.net/mtg-decks/25-03-16-vXO-uw-tempo/) for this friday, but I'm in doubt on what would be good choices for my sideboard. Could anyone help me out? I'm still new to the game, the meta in my LGS is a shitload of control with some GW tokens in between.

Monoblue Prison uses Disperse. I guess it was only a matter of time.
Playing with a splash of black and use the delirium discard was clever imo. Fucks with those decks playing PW and non flashy permanents. He only need to loop again to get the spell back and discard your threats. You should start the game with a hand full of aggro creatures when facing those decks.

I'd agree with this. At most two brains. I honestly think a tides deck can work without them at all, but they are a nice bonus to have on the field.

> rise is easily countered
Only if he's a fucking idiot and didn't save mana for a counter or two

> all these white decks without odrics
Why?

casual thread is that way user

----------->

Werewolves, are they good?
Here's my standard deck list:

Creatures:
4x Breakneck Rider
4x Lambholt pacifist
4x Village messenger
4x Kessig Forgemaster
4x Duskwatch recruiter
4x Geier Reach bandit

Instants:
3x Fiery Impulse
3x Moonlight Hunt
2x Collected company

Enchantments:
3x Howlpack Resurgence

Planeswalkers:
3x Arlinn Kord

Sideboard
4x naturalize
3x display of dominance
1x Hermit of the Natterknolls
3x Rending Volley
4x Silverfur Partisan

Surprisingly this is budget since I have 2/3 of the Arlinns from packs and traded for The two Collected Company from casual friends who never went with low cmc decks. All the cards I'm missing are either 50¢ commons/Uncommons or $2 rares.

Forgot lands
9x Forest
11x mountain
2x game trail

Need a new deck. W/G humans or W/B humans and spirits?

Oops, meant W/U

If only Huntsmaster of the fells was legal ;_;

Can someone post a cheap deck that is good in standard, I made a deck and I was mana starved for eight turns.

I checked this one out it is super cheap, is this a good deck?

opened this the other day as well as an arlinn kord, dec in stone, thalia's lieutenant and some other bullshit.

>I-I-I payed more for my Tier 1 deck, how dare someone playing a meme deck beat me! I-I-It's not fair!

Good on that guy. It's about time blue decks start fighting back against the GW menace

:Reminder Eldritch Moon will give Tier decks tools to counter those meme decks because the second market demands it and cant let that Thalias Litternaunt, Tireless Tracker and Archangel Avacyn to drop in price.

At the end meme decks will be meme decks and will end crushed after the release of Eldritch Moon.

>Reminder Shadows over Innistrad made these strategies possible.

Fuck off Tier1 cocksucker

3-1 tonight with Abzan Seasons Past
2-0'd UW Spirits (lol)
2-0'd GB Rites (infinite obliteration on zulaport cutthroat and they have no wincon)
2-0'd GW Tokens (virulent plague lol)
1-2 to RW aggro (reckless bushwhacker serving for 12+ is no bueno)

Probably need to add a second dromoka's command, it's just that good.

How does an EDH player who's never played standard before get into standard?

Don't.

No

This deck has a good rating I played it last night and it fucking sucked

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-gold-standard-2/

play draft for a year

>play at fnm
>don't really feel competitive this week, so I bring seasons past - gitrog g/b deck (Reid Duke build)
>3 people play that one FOTM mono blue prison deck with no creatures
>get paired against one of them
>the guys gets ahead, gets 13 zombies on the board, then he casts part the waterveil.
>Well I guess I'm screwed
>he casts Engluf the shore because my sylvan advocate is so scary that he really needs to remove it (instead of just ignoring it like every sane person would do).
>I have to explain to my opponent that he just got rid of his 13 zombies
>the guy calls the judge to confirm it
>judge tells him his zombies are now in limbo
>he just concedes.

Aaaaand this is why you shouldn't mindlessly netdeck. At least just read the fucking cards.

Splashing Black for Pick the Brain sounds interesting.
It feels good a meme deck is doing it fine.

So this meme decks, are competitive enough to win in a match vs a tier1 deck? Or it depends on the player aand you arr screwed once you face a good player with a tier1 deck?

that doesnt make any fucking sense

That's why I removed engulf the shore from my lineup. I keep it on the side board but haven't had cause to use it. Splashing black for removal and board wipes has worked well. Flaying tendrils has also pissed off a few white players.

Usually screwed, but it mostly depends on the colors

Bant Clues? Odds are good you're not the same person, but if you are the guy who posted his bant clues decklist a few weeks ago I thank you wholeheartedly. I tried it out at my LGS and it's been one of the most fun standard decks I've played in a while. If you are NOT said person, ayyy Bant Clues; atta boy!