Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>Gosh that was fun. There were a lot of lesbians though. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

Let us discuss inspirational reading for Exalted, because why the fuck not.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/pAT3ViLi
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Let us discuss inspirational reading for Exalted, because why the fuck not.
To reveal my ulterior motive for this topic, I've been thinking about reading the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I understand that there is more than one English translation, none of which appear to be available in the libraries or bookstores around here. I was hoping some fa/tg/uy could tell me which translation is the best and whether there is any hope at all of finding it online somewhere.

I've not read some of the important mythic stuff, things that serve as an inspiration for Exalted like the Ramayana, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Journey to the West or The Water Margin.

Stuff that I've read that I've found makes for good inspiration for Exalted is the Iliad, Epic of Gilgamesh, Black Company, Night's Master and a bunch of Conan and Elric stories.

Black Company's a pretty good take on what it's like to be a mortal caught up in the battles of the Exalted, I'd say. Also, related to some of the last thread's discussion, on how mortals can matter even when outclassed by more powerful beings.

If the person from last thread is here: The Dodge Excellency gets you 1 point for every 2 motes, not 1.

>Exal
was elric the big ugly viking who reddit tils keep claiming had a bone disease responsible for his superpowers?

I said the standard excellency rate was 1 mote per 1 die. Each point of a static value is worth 2 dice/2 motes.

How "reasonable" are the yozi?

>Battle-Dancer Method
>Cost: 1m; Mins: Performance 4, Essence 1
>Type: Reflexive
>Keywords: None
>Duration: Instant
>Prerequisite Charms: Graceful Reed Dancing
>When dancing, add half the Exalt’s Performance, rounded down, to her Parry or Evasion. If she is dancing by herself, this Charm can also raise her Resolve.

Can you just use this charm to gain +2 Evasion/Parry for 1m whenever you describe yourself as dance-fighting? Do you have to Stunt yourself as dance-fighting? Do you have to Flurry a Performance action while you fight if you want to benefit from this?

This is the first time that I've, personally, struggled with the natural language of a charm.

>Do you have to Flurry a Performance action while you fight if you want to benefit from this?

This.

Dancing is a performance action, which is a miscellaneous action in combat. Also, if this were not the case, the charm would be stupidly efficient.

So what you're saying is that I should pick up a Nightingale-esque Permanent charm that lets me flurry dancing in combat, as long as it's fluffed appropriately. Like the final sentence of Voice of the Night Bird, but only for Dance actions, and not granting a weapon like the first half of the charm:
>The martial artist may flurry a kiai attack with Performancebased influence without the usual flurry penalties, as long as the content of the social influence is woven into the lyrics or emotional tenor of her song.

Let's run the list...

Malfeas is a manic-depressive tyrant who is trapped in an endless waking nightmare, who will crush you like an insect the moment he thinks you're threat.

Cecelyne is a supremely cynical monster who peddles false hope, enslaves with debt and promises and forces you to worship her and not rebel against her nonsensical edicts.

Swillin' is an autistic totalitarian who hates the fact you're not a glorified wind-up toy made of meat and will lobotomize you at the first available opportunity.

Adorjan is a mentally shattered bodhisattva who works tirelessly to free people of the things that weight them down. Things like their house, their children, their thoughts and their body.

Ebon Dragon is a pessimistic existentialist who thrives in misery and despair, even his own. He categorically cannot for the life of him think of hope as anything but prelude to disappointment and anguish.

Kimbery is a cthonic matriarch who will smother you in her love and pamper you to a crushing degree, until you do something to bother her, which will make her flip out and smother you in her hate.

Isidoros is an impulsive solipsist who treats the whole wide world as his playground, and can never make a compromise. Restraint is an alien concept to him, as is empathy.

Am I missing anyone?

what kind of names would a first age solar have? same as a modern character? or did naming conventions drift significantly?

Ohh, do the silver forest dude, I forgot his name, Szorney or something right?

>Am I missing anyone?
Several.

Cytherea, Elloge, Hegra, Metagaos, Oramus, Qaf, Sacheverell, and Szoreny.

Combined with the ones you mentioned, that's 15 canonically named Yozi.

malfeas, cecelene, swlihn, adjoran, ed, kimbery, szoreny, ...any others cannonically part of the reclamation?
(sadly we never got an official sylvan charmset but we do have an act of villainy and mention that he was given the right to add an urge in exchange for opening his charms)

Great...

For context, my players want to try to negotiate with the yozi*. They removed the curse and are "nice", for that they can return.

< My facial expression after I learned about it.

*Clarification: Is a long-term target and not immediately in a campaign.

The curse?

>static gif
Please don't post gifs that aren't animated.

They're really gonna eat crow when they realize the Yozi have no authority to remove the Great Curse and that the Neverborn are the ones they really want to talk to. Well, for a given value of "talk" given that the Neverborn can't really talk, which still won't work because convincing them to quit trying to end all of existence forever is a task on the level or traveling through time and reviving the dead.

No.

If you can convince your ST that dancing is now a song, sure. Good luck with that.

IIRC Isidoros too, because Szoreny is a caring boyfriend.

Mate, I didn't say I was going to literally purchase the Nightingale charm. I said I was going to make a Nightingale-style charm, but exclusively for dancing defenses.

Work on your reading comprehension.

>They removed the curse
The curse was applied by the deathrattles of the slain Primordials who would later become the Neverborn.

The Neverborn might not even have the power to revoke it now, in their diminished state, and the Yozi definitely don't.

I too am interested in Exalted because of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms aspect of it.

I can't wait for the day I'll run such a game.

In short, you've fucked over the entire world for nothing. Thanks for playing!

The Yozis themselves only take notice of the most important people in the setting. Best your players can hope to meet is a 3CD.

And even then only ED knows anything about the curse.

>The Yozis themselves only take notice of the most important people in the setting. Best your players can hope to meet is a 3CD.
As a rule, I don't think the Yozi should ever be seen as singular beings. Cecelyne is a desert, a clergy, and the beings who inhabit and personify that landscape and organization. Malfeas is a city, an empire, and those who rule and serve in it. And so forth.

While you can get an idea of the gestalt being by looking at the big picture, you're still never going to speak to Malfeas or Cecelyne any more than you're going to speak to Tokyo or the Sahara. You're going to speak to Ligier, because that's the closest you get to Malfeas while still being able to interact with it as a person.

Except when they possess their subsouls, yeah.

should an infernal bother taking broken silence laughter if they have brooding resentment?

Well, there is the brass dancer, but good luck even getting it to notice you, or even predicting when it will show up.

iirc malfeas needs to have a stroke to realize other people have feelings.

also the yozi don't have the power to remove the great curse. the best they could do was twist it into the urge and torment system. only the neverborn have been shown able to take the curse off an exaltation

wear tapshoes

Is there any point to the charm "scale shedding solution" other than to be paired with "stripping your partner"

Avoid 2e if at all possible.

Well then you have to convince your GM to allow your charm, which requires him to either to not understand synergy or not understand balance.

>iirc malfeas needs to have a stroke to realize other people have feelings.
That statement is kind of an exaggeration (blame 2e) but yes, the general principle of it is correct.

they're not fucking its a friends/nemeses thing based on reflections. f#$%ing shippers, two yozi can just be bros without it being a relationship.

You mean an understatement.

It was a joke. But for real, Isidoros is only in because Szoreny dragged him in and wants him free too.

>a friends/nemeses thing based on reflections
Also the forest is good for giant boar frolicking.

>spending at least 16 XP, plus buying at least Performance 4, to be able to add a partial excellency to Parry/Evasion at a discounted rate is super OP
I think you might be the one who doesn't understand balance, friend.

What is it like when Yozis other than Malfeas are out dancing? What does it look like?

>which requires him to either to not understand synergy or not understand balance.
Homie, there is literally a Dodge charm that lets you spend 4m to gain +1 Evasion for the entire rest of the scene, a Martial Arts charm that gives you permanent, free artifact-tier scream attacks complete with free related social flurrying in combat, and a Presence charm that lets you reflexively make social influence rolls without even needed to include it into a flurry.

Something being good and worth purchase doesn't mean it's unbalanced when that's the actual balance point.

I'd probably allow Perfect Unity of Form to let you pull off some shenanigans like this. Either let you get your Battle Dancer Method bonuses off your Kiai attacks, or let you use your Nightengale style Kiais by dancing.

>this is my Dawn Caste, ST

Also how did they find out about the curse? I do not think anyone knows about it except for some yozi and some of the neverborn.

You remembered to take Celestial Bliss Trick, right? Make sure to take Tiger's Dread Symmetry too, it combines so well with the Dawn anima power if you're at all socially focused.

I'd allow it.

REPENT MOTHERFUCKER!!!

Lytek knows the curse.

Too bad he ain't telling.

It's all a moot point anyway, because 3e lore. You have a carte blanche to make up whatever.

She better know both dreaming pearl courtesan and righteous devil

Wouldn't she just have Righteous Devil and a ton of socialize and perform(sex) charms?

Why isn't he notifying anyone?

I'm surprised how little Dishonored is referenced in Exalted discussions - the Outsider's mark is a blatant Exaltationesque deal, and the setting is like a dark Victorian parallel to creation.

>Why isn't he notifying anyone?
He's literally too autistic to even think to.

He's not going, "Should I tell someone? Nah."

He's literally not even getting that far.

Because it's very important, he hates Sids and he's unsure about the specifics. Telling the wrong person would spell disaster.
Also because he's an idiot, not that the writers intended him to be seen that way.

Huh. I just didn't make the connection.

Dishonored is very much more Abyssal or Infernal, which have a lack of players and other interesting shit to talk about, respectively.

>An epic high-flying role-playing game
>Most people in creation don't fly.
>The ones who do don't fly very high.

>on how mortals can matter even when outclassed by more powerful beings.

By fucking the Scarlet Empress until she decides to abandon her post?

>The ones who do don't fly very high.
Say that to my face bitch. I rode an air elemental up to the Adamant Dome of the sky itself to chisel out a star (and a piece of the sky around it). My Night Caste exaltation was the definition of high-flying.

It was a tremendous fall afterwards too.

Because he never did when he had the chance (which was a mistake, sure), and now he simply can't without spelling his doom. It's not rocket science.

>He's literally too autistic to even think to.

Circlejerker.

>Most people in creation don't fly.

yourgamesaredull/10

By literally every Exalt, god and demon.

Even then it's kind of neither. While those gifted with the Outsider's mark can and often do some really fucked up shit, it's so often in the service of a personal vendetta or lust for further power.

Makes one wonder how an Outsider Exalted one function if written into the setting.

Probably something like an Exigent exaltation by a god of chaos and vengeance, but I have the seed of a homebrew idea - that of the Outsider being a Primordial of the Void, and his mark being a Primordial exaltation.

It probably wouldn't convince anyone. I mean telling the bronze sids 'hey they aren't crazy because they chose to be, they're crazy because they have this giant curse on them that drives them insane!' is only going to make the bronze faction more determined to keep them down, as it means they will defiantly go crazy and there is no known way to cure it.

Ive thought it was exalted since the day i first played it
A man is given power by a supernatural being of extraordinary might. He is also branded with a specific mark which can glow when he manifests his powers. Unfortunately the government/church tells that people like him are demons who will ruin everything. His actions can either save the world or drive it into ruin.
Also the stuff you can get away with in that game is a pretty good example of the feats of a night caste.

>a god of chaos and vengeance, but I have the seed of a homebrew idea - that of the Outsider being a Primordial of the Void, and his mark being a Primordial exaltation.
He was never for revenge, his shtick is more about his chosen being "interesting", upsetting or challenging the established order of things, choosing people with power and drive to do so.

I can't think of many anime where the dub is better than the subs, but this is one of them.

DPC as a way to use clothing as weaponry. Mixing the Appearance martial art and an MA with a Charisma-based intimidation roll isn't the most optimal approach, but given how blunt she is she could totally be one of those 4/1/4 social characters.

>Why isn't he notifying anyone?
Yet another reason that Lytek doesn't fit into the setting once you think him through.

Is Dreaming Pearl Courtesan style a Sidereal martial art? It certainly feels like it.

No. It was Celestial.
In 3e core there are no SMA, DPC is a regular MA.

Sidereal MA are mentioned, at least as fluff, in the Solar and Sidereal sections in chapter 1 of the 3e book.

Masters of the Martial Arts
All styles of combat with weaponry or fists become suf-
fused with miraculous power when practiced by the
Solar Exalted. With effort and proper tutelage, Solars
are even capable of ascending into the ranks of Heaven
and learning the greatest and most esoteric expressions
of martial systems—Sidereal Martial Arts.

Masters of the Martial Arts
Those who remember the Sidereals of old agree on one
thing: they were martial artists whose genius was without
compare. Only the Solar Exalted could boast equal
prowess, and then only under the tutelage of a Sidereal
mentor. Their mystical fighting systems, the Sidereal
Martial Arts, are the whispered legends and ultimate
secret styles of the martial arts world.

There are no special rules for learning DPC, but it's definitely a martial art based on abstract concepts rather than physical or supernatural force; it's a SMA in theme if not in name.

It is and has always been a normal Martial Art. In 2e it was Celestial.

I run my Creation like Gensoukyo. Nearly everyone flies.

>it's definitely a martial art based on abstract concepts rather than physical or supernatural force; it's a SMA in theme if not in name.
Absolutely wrong. It has a theme, just like every other martial art, but all it does is make you fight good with help from your social skills.

SMAs make you do non-fighting things by fighting, like punching you into a duck or punching you in the snout to establish love.

Invoking the Chimera’s Coils
>normal

Yeah. You just fight better, with the small bonus of looking like a fish dragon and slowly going insane.

Of course it'll have some weirdness, it IS magic, after all. And in the fluff it is said to be the closest CMA to SMA.

But it is not one.

Ok then, point taken.

General question for the general: When building characters to be decent in combat, do you go for Martial Arts or Solar charms? Personally, I prefer the Solar charms unless I've got a concept that gels perfectly with an existing martial art; they're a lot more specific than the Solar charm options.

>I prefer the Solar charms unless I've got a concept that gels perfectly with an existing martial art; they're a lot more specific than the Solar charm options.
You answered your own question, right there.

>When building characters to be decent in combat, do you go for Martial Arts or Solar charms?

Strongly depends on whether I want the character to be "visibly" decent at fighting or not.

A Black Claw or Ebon Shadow stylist can flavor themselves such that you'd never think of what they do as a fighting skill in particular, just an extension of their actual focus (social and stealth, respectively); by comparison, someone who's dabbled in Melee Charms is very clearly learning how to fight, even though it's not in their primary focus.

MAs that are clearly fighting styles (Steel Devil and Shining Point, for example) are a bit more of a judgment call; whatever feels cool at the time.

Is everyone in your Creation also a cute girl?

do they also piss heroin?

celestial directions has a harp that makes the yozi-terrain dance, big sloshing waves, twirling dust-devils, etc

Hello again, /exg/! A few threads ago I posted some homebrew War charms that I've been working on, and have in a complete enough state that I wanted some extra eyes on them.

So, being both a novice homebrewer and shameless self-promoter, here they are again to get more feedback!

pastebin.com/pAT3ViLi

It's largely raw mechanics at this point, since I want to make sure the charms are fun before I spend a whole lot of time writing fluff for shitty charms.

So I've been learning that the 1/2e books included some hints of new Exalted long before 3e started the over proliferation fad.

Guidebook to Meru p41 states that there were many Incarna killed during the Primordial War. Their chosen went mad with vengeance (see Return of the Scarlet Empress p195). GtM claims they killed each other (which wouldn't happen unless they died trying to get vengeance on the Primordials), but since it is written IC the truth may be that they were killed and imprisoned by the Sidereals... what, this again?! How many Jade Prisons do we need?!

DotFA p8 states that Pluto, Maiden of Hours, was killed by the TSC but might have survived by sending her consciousness to the future. This would make the 6th Sidereal caste Chosen of Hours.

MoEP: Alchemicals p222 states that there are quite possibly two missing types of Exalt (or Autochthon had some evil plan). Who and where are they?

Autochthonians p268 mentions "mortal exalted" aka "heroic exalted" aka "chosen of no one" as possible creations of Auto in order to rectify the Incarna's incompetence, foreshadowing the current Exigent crisis. Ironic, no?

And yet none of these guys are on the list of new splats. Oh well...

For those doing just flat BP throughout the game how many BP do you give out each session? And give out just like 1-2 Solar BP?

Did not mean to link that post. Oops.

I've got that flat XP advancement thing an user did saved somewhere.

Flat XP House Rules: (new and improved!)
Character creation follows all the normal rules, excepting the BP stage and rules. Instead of starting with BP, players start with a pool of 60 Solar Experience,
which works as defined in the book. Experience is gained over play at the normal rate, in both XP and Solar XP, and Essence thresholds, etc, act as normal.

The following are the new, flattened, XP costs. They are used both for character creation and advancement:
Attribute: 10 XP per dot
Ability: 5 XP per dot (4 XP if ability is Caste/Favored, and/or the dot purchased is 1-3)
Specialty: 3 XP
Merit: 3 XP per dot [see note]
Willpower: 8 XP
Solar Charm: 10 XP (8 XP if Caste/Favored, and/or the Charm is Essence 1)
Martial Arts Charm: 10 XP (8 XP if Brawl is Caste/Favored, and/or the Charm is Essence 1)
Spell: 10 XP (8 XP if Occult is Caste/Favored, and/or the spell is Terrestrial Circle)
New Evocation: 8 XP

Any XP not spent at the end of this phase (e.g. because there's an extra point or two you *can't* spend) is kept to be spent later.

Note: Merits are a bit squiggly because of their design. I would personally recommend doing away with Purchased Merits altogether, as most of them are trash (like
Ambidextrous) or point taxes (like Martial Arts. In fact, just do away with the Martial Arts Merit no matter what), and simply giving characters 10 merit

points to spread around for Story/Innate merits at character creation, with
extras kept in reserve if you come up with anything interesting or appropriate later on.

However, if you're not interested in doing this (understandable; it's a larger leap in houserules), then use the following rules: a) story merits can only be bought
with XP at character creation, and b) merits cost 3 XP per dot, so going from 3->4 costs 3 XP, and buying a 4 dot merit costs 12 XP regardless of whether you can also
buy it at 3 dots or not.

That gives us maybe...

Liminal
Getimian
Exigents
another Sidereal foil
two Lunar foils
"chosen of the depths"
"spoken"
Niarobian (sp?)
[Soulsteel] Exalted
[Adamant] Exalted
Chosen of Hours (Sidereal Caste)
Mortal/Heroic Exalted (potentially)
Chosen of the Fallen Gods (uncounted!)
Etc.

Do we really need 20+ new types of Exalts, each with 500+ charms?

Seriously, the rules for charms are needlessly complicated. Something like Mage Spheres/Arcana would be far preferable to that monstrosity.

Dude, what?

You're combining lore from several different editions, half of which is purely hypothetical.

>half of which is purely hypothetical
3e is officially adding half a dozen new splats, including an explicit special snowflake. It's the perfect time to add a half dozen more! A hundred more!

Everyone knows real Exalted fans only run with the original canonical 4 Exalt-types: Solars, Abyssals, DBs, and Sids.

these damn "lunars" are fucking special snowflake furry garbage. It's a slippery slope, we got one new exalt type, what's next, thirty?

>another Sidereal foil
>two Lunar foils
>"spoken"
One of these, IIRC, is the exalt of dreams.

>"chosen of the depths"
>Niarobian (sp?)
These are the same thing. Chosen of the Depths, Deep, Niobrara or whatever.

>It's a slippery slope, we got one new exalt type, what's next, thirty?

>Liminal
>Getimian
>Exigents
>another Sidereal foil
>two Lunar foils
>"chosen of the depths"
>"spoken"

Uh...

I build all my characters to be "decent" at combat. If they're primary combatants, they'll probably be going for Solar charms, unless they're going for multiple MAs to exploit synergies.

If they're primary something-else, I'll pick up the most appropriate MA to make them competent, and let them spend their notXP on that, or just grab Dipping Swallow/Hail-Shattering Practice for basic not-dying (our group uses the experienced rules, and starts at E2).

Any decent fan splats besides Nocturnals and Terrifying Argent Witches?