One-Shot Systems

What are the best systems for one-shots?

I have a player unable to make it tonight, so I figured we'd just sit around and have fun with a one-shot. But so many systems really don't work well unless it's for a campaign with character progression or more 'arcs', in my opinion.

What are some systems you've used with one shots that you really enjoyed?

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Everyone_Is_John
fiascoplaysets.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well if you want a less serious one, I really like Everyone is John.

1d4chan.org/wiki/Everyone_Is_John

MAID

I ran a Paranoia one shot. It was fantastic

We were in a lecture hall and I had the speaker playing the computers voice.

Character creation is simple. Roll 6 d20's and allocate those numbers. Pretty much done. Everything else is handed to them by the DM

I'll second MAID if your group isn't allergic to weeb stuff. Game is quick and easy to grasp, has a lot if fun tables, and is easy to run.

Thanks, good suggestions!

Every FATAL game I run always seems to end after the first session, so I guess its pretty good for one shots.

Fiasco

Came here to post these

MAID and Paranoia are both good for one shots.

Lacuna: The Second Attempt

I ran a game and it ended in a crowd of spider-headed men singing the national anthem of the USSR to usher in the end of reality. Good times.

I still want to give Paranoia a try. It looks wonderful.

Haven't tried that one, actually. Oh, and there's Dread if you're into horror games and meet with your group in person. All you need to know is that a game of Jenga determines when the shit hits the fan.

Ah shit, I meant Lacuna, not Paranoia. My bad.

I thought it was pretty random, but, y'know. Judge not lest ye be judged.

A word of warning: use Lacuna for the setting and open-ended concept, but for the love of christ fix the system. I should have made some on-the-fly rulings and didn't. As part of the same story, one of my players used a lot of lucky commendation points and the weapon-wielder skill to become incapable of failing force rolls and, so, an invincible all-slaying god.

D&D 5e makes for a good one-shot if you have enough time to prepare.

Fiasco is an actual suggestion though, Maid is a shitpost reply unless you're playing with weaboos.

Maid is a great one if you're either with a group of weebs (like me) or people who can have fun with slapstick comedy without having to do the lame strut where they pretend they're a better class of nerd and too good for anything associated with Japan. You can see good plays on RollPlay on Youtube and decide if that's the sort of absurdity your group is into.

When Shinobigami is available in English, it'll be a great one for one shots. Modern ninja going head to head trying to accomplish both a known and secret goal (which may actually conflict with each other). Can be very PVP, but not necessarily. It seems like for a one shot, PVP would be more fun, though.

Fiasco is a great one if your group isn't afraid to fail or go a little PVP in fucking each other over. There are tons of free playbooks here fiascoplaysets.com/

I hear great things about Lady Blackbird and Lasers and Feelings, but not played it myself or seen enough APs to be able to give you more than that.

Shadow of the Demon Lord.

Character creation is incredibly quick, the ruleset is simple to learn but has enough flexibility in it that you can accomplish pretty much whatever you want.

Plus, there are absolutely loads of cheap, pre-written scenarios on DriveThru so you don't even really have to spend too long on prep - if that's the kind of GM you are.

Wushu.
Beyond the wall.
Feng Shui.
L5R.
Burning Wheel.
Donjon.
The Mountain Witch.
Lasers and Feelings.
A board game for a change of pace.
Some other shit cus I have no idea what you or your group likes.

Dread is my go to for one shots. Really helped everyone learn better description and atmosphere when GMing

Night Shift