Big screen tv as a table

Has anyone ever used an hdtv as a table? The idea would be that I would use a 40-50" lcd tv put legs on it so that the top is the screen. I'd then use a PC or equivalent to display a picture that's the map etc.

I'm not good at art so I'm thinking this might be a great way to easily use maps off the internet or just piece together some in gimp.

I understand having a proper gaming table is preferred.

Other urls found in this thread:

homecrux.com/2015/12/14/39580/diy-gaming-table-conceals-40-inch-hdtv-to-display-roll20-sessions.html
science.opposingviews.com/cant-lay-lcd-tv-flat-1572.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think it could be cool, but I do not trust anyone (myself included) not to fuck it up. Make sure you have some thick glass on top of it.

There's potential, but it can go from "cool dynamic gaming table" to "broken piece of shit" instantly if you're not careful.

You just need some tempered glass. That stuff is strong as hell.

Very true. OP, you get a nice layer of tempered glass over that television and I could see this turning out very well.

It might work if you put a piece of tempered glass over it like others have said. I imagine your intention is to hook it up to a computer so you can change maps on the fly? It sounds like a nice convenience feature if you're that dead-set on not drawing any maps but it could end up breaking really easy.

We actually did this once at an old apartment, my roomates and I. We used a large flatscreen computer monitor and layed it on the table, plugged into the DMs laptop. He didn't just use it to display maps, he also used it to display pictures, documents, all kinds of stuff. It worked alright, it seemed like it was a real pain in the ass to get the resolution right on the maps he was using, so that our character minis looked right in comparison, and he was able to fit the whole map correctly.

I'm about 90% sure you're not supposed to lay HDTVs on their backs like that. It says so on their shipping boxes and their retail boxes.

I did find something but it's a bit too much, just thought I'd share the link

homecrux.com/2015/12/14/39580/diy-gaming-table-conceals-40-inch-hdtv-to-display-roll20-sessions.html

I have 2 spare 40" and a 55" that would be sweet in one of those things, but maybe the best thing is to design a base where the tv could gravity fit then place a piece of plexi glass on top of the tv. Think pedastals on each of the four corners. I don't know, I have a friend that can help me with the wood construction...

A quick google turned up this:

science.opposingviews.com/cant-lay-lcd-tv-flat-1572.html

So it looks like it's a bad idea in general, though as long as the table is heavy enough to not be knocked around, and the glass top is strong enough not to put any pressure on the LCD, it may last quite a while.
I'd put a small air gap inbetween the table and the glass in case of impacts causing the glass to flex.

>I'm not good at art so I'm thinking this might be a great way to easily use maps off the internet or just piece together some in gimp.
Just print them out over several sheets of paper like a poster.

Why not use a projector instead

But then consider that sweaty inconsiderate dice jockeys are going to be landing their minis, throwing their dice and using the table as a coaster. Sure being careful with it may make it last longer, but using it in an RPG setting is suicide.

It would be easier to use a printer

Another thing to consider is that you're going to be looking at this thing from weird angles, so you need something with great viewing angles. IPS LCDs are pretty good in that regard but they might not be good enough.

You could go with an old flat-front HD CRT, cheap and great viewing angles, but then you're adding a ton of weight and you'd have a smaller screen size.

Depends on how hard you're flexing that glass. Unless all those minis weigh 100 pounds or more, you're not going to bend tempered glass by any measurable amount. When I said to have an air gap, I was thinking about some dumbass who climbs up and stands on the table. That would cause it to flex a little.

From what I understand about the construction, just the act of laying the TV on its back is enough to put potentially damaging pressure on the screen. As in, the weight of the TV framework itself will damage the TV.

Nice work. I like how you've got pencil trays.

I've muddled this idea in my brain too. Maybe using the larger photo stock so layouts can be randomized.

My main goal is to create a home brew that I can play solo, with inspiration taken from assassinorum which has the random room encounter mechanic.

This sounds interesting, I'd need to research, but I know the projectors have gone down in price. And the ability to scale the image is appealing.

Hmmm, I've got 3 27"s and a couple of 24"... Cheaper if they break but smaller... This is a good way to proof of concept..

I read a few articles and all seem to point to something like that, I've had these tvs for a few years, so I wouldn't lose my shit if I broke one, maybe try with the monitor first as PoC

It's not mine, just a random internet article.

Thanks for the feedback smar/tg/uys!

I plan on doing something like it but without the table aspect. The viewing angles and the chance of shit breaking is just too much trouble. I'd rather put it up against one wall and have a long table that everyone sits at opposite the screen, so that they can all clearly see it.

The screen (at least 40") would run the player stuff via Roll20, a laptop hooked up to it would have the GM stuff on its own screen, and people would use physical sheets/dice at the table. The screen would be used for ambient music, area maps, battle maps, and other visual aids, which everyone could see clearly. Might throw some laser points to people so they can point at the screen without getting up.

Depends on how shitty the manufacturing is. I imagine a really cheap flatscreen might be damaged just from its own weight hanging sideways, but I doubt any non-fly-by-night manufacturer would make them quite so flimsy.
I know I cleaned my giant LG flatscreen monitor on its back one time, before I had ever heard about this stuff, and it didn't suffer from being turned sideways, nor from vigorous cleaning across its surface while sideways.

It'd be wise to make a template with a grid on it, sized so that each grid is the right size on screen. Then you can just use it as the top layer in photoshop. And then proceed to double or triple your prep time making maps if you want them to look any better then a line drawing on butcher paper.

Work at screen resolution when designing your maps.

Bear in mind, the kind of big screen TV's you're likely to use are 1080p at best (I'm assuming you're not going to waste a 4k TV on something like this). Full HD looks nice from across the room, but looks pretty jaggy up close. I'm guessing you'll find that sharp lines and simple textures look best.

Consider also that you'll need a tv with an excellent viewing angle... some will be almost impossible to watch when you're not directly in front of them.

To pile on more bad news... I think you're gonna find it's uncomfortable to be that close to a big screen...

Also, get some dice trays, because rolling dice on a glass table is painfully annoying.

I think a projector above the table would be easier.

Shadows? Blocking of the projection?

Shut up, Brian