D20 vs d100

Which one is the better dice system?

d10 dice pools

"THE" d20 System is a plain shitty and obsolescent system.

Other than that: There are a lot of ways to make resolution mechanics with D20 and D100 and the D20 can often be functionally identical to the D100.
Frankly, unless you really really really need to use lots of %-Tables with

>d10 dice pools

MY NIGGA

>there's no point in using a D100 over a D20

I'd rather use a D100 over the D20, just because it's easier to add more granularity if I need it compared to the D20.

But dice pools are the way to go. Much nicer curves.

dice pools are cancer

3d6

d100 is the best one, because percentage

D20 divided by 2

d20. d100 is more granular than any system needs to be or can actually benefit from.

Yeah, d100 has more granularity, but I've honestly never seen anyone use it to effect. Usually DMs only really go with fiversteps. You can more easily do a table with 100 entries, but honestly, that's often more than anyone needs or wants to write up.

Oh, look, it's the endlessly triggered bitch-user.

2d6

2d6 is great. Easy to get them, produces a nice curve, gives you a good results range.

Out of OP's choices, I prefer d100s. But only because you can do interesting things with 2d10, like 'flip flopping' the units, having 'doubles' count for something special, etc.

Only when they explode.

>2d6
>nice curve
?????

Bell's curve. Though on picture it actually doesn't seem curve.

He meant that the result is weighted to middle, probably.

The "bell" doesn't appear until 3 dice are rolled, and gets more dominant as the number of dice increases from there.

Pliers or screwdriver: which is the better tool?

Difference between d20 and d100 is minimal, so the comparison would be more like green screwdriver or orange screwdriver, which is better?

>I want more granularity!
d100

>I don't want more granularity
d100

>I don't want more granularity
d20*

80 more sides isn't minimal, it makes everyone have to start thinking on a larger, more annoying order. More like a nice pair of scissors compared to scissors with two sets of handles that interfere with eachother, one right, one left-handed.

Dice pools give you some middle weight, but I'll never comprehend why anyone would want their randomization mechanic to be rigged in a less random way.

They could have easily just designed the base mechanics to be more functional instead.

A D20 die that only goes from 0-9, with each number printed twice.

If we're using physical dice, that is.

Wrong. Sure a flathead can be a philips, but they're both sub-optimal in the wrong application.

Flathead vs. Phillips.

Philips a shit for anything but powered screwdrivers. There are a hundred better fastener shapes than philips or flathead.

If we include critical and fumbles, d100 for me.
5% seems a bit much most of the time, at least when the game has a serious tone.

d20 and D100 are very similar.A better debate would be :
Dice + modifier and try to beat a number set by the GM
VS
Try to aim under your skill score with modifiers set by the GM.

I prefer the latter, but I'm biased because I only play the 40k family of RPGs.

It's an extra mechanic, but you can easily reduce the chance of crits on a d20. If you get maximum, roll a d6; if you get a 6, then you critical, or super critical, or whatever. Sure, this slows things down a bit when you roll a 20, but that's only 1/20 of the time, and overall it's probably still a bit faster than d%, which adds a tiny bit of time to gather, roll and read two dice for every roll.

2D10> D100 for physical dice rolling

D100 is the best thing to use for any system that doesn't need quick and dirty math

They are both equally bad, because they are both flat roll systems. You have no bell curve, so your probability of any roll is always exactly the same as any other roll, regardless of skill level. You join that with the concept of critical failures and critical successes, which almost all d20 or d100 systems have, and you end up with a ludicrous probability chart.

No application needs as much granularity as d100 provides. Whether you have 51% or 53% chance of making a roll is just not a significant difference. Personally I prefer steps of 10% when applying modifiers and whatnot, and don't want to know nor calculate if my character's thumb twiddling skill has increased from 52.7 to 53.1 on level up.

False precision lover?

There really isn't much difference. Systems aren't made or broken by their dice unless you go with something really wacky like d7s, they're made or broken by how dice are interpreted and results calculated.

That being said, I somewhat prefer d100 systems, because most of the time your skills are given as exact percentage chances of success, which I think is nice and tidy.

beg your pardon ?

It's a common term for trying to quantify the exact chance of something in an RPG. "You have a 31% chance of shooting that guy "

It's a false sense of precision.

I'll take something with actual sides over a golfball with stickers on it any day, every day.

too bad he wasn't talking about that

D100 is more precise but I like my dice to stop rolling at some point, saves time.
D20 is the correct choice

>not using 2d10 as a d100

You realize that those are novelty dice, right? Those overpriced things you buy to have a talking point for the night and maybe roll them once as a joke?

2d10

checks are made by roll x stat instead roll+ stat

calculators included

You fucking madman. At least make it Skill x 0.1d100 if you're already using calculators.

Roll under or Modifier+Roll?

>I'll never comprehend why anyone would want their randomization mechanic to be rigged in a less random way.
>They could have easily just designed the base mechanics to be more functional instead.
Sometimes you want results to be expressed as a curve rather than as a simple fraction.

Dicepools also let you stack multiple attacks into the same roll; if you roll 3d10 for 3 attacks and just modify the final number of hits, that's a lot faster than 1d10 with modifiers three times.

00 is 100

>Sometimes you want results to be expressed as a curve rather than as a simple fraction.
But WHY would anyone want that?

>Dicepools also let you stack multiple attacks into the same roll; if you roll 3d10 for 3 attacks and just modify the final number of hits, that's a lot faster than 1d10 with modifiers three times.
I'm pretty sure in most dicepool systems three attacks with one success are treated differently than one attack with three successes. So you can't just bundle up all your dice like that.

Multiple dice for that sweet bellcurve

Dice pools are OK too, just kind of unwieldy in practice

>80 more sides isn't minimal, it makes everyone have to start thinking on a larger, more annoying order.
Are you kidding? Most people find it natural to think in percentages and may have to actually do math on other dice to convert them to percentages in order to have a good idea of what their chances for success are.

Now, the actual dice are a bit more involved than rolling a single d20 (but not by that much), and the level of granularity they produce might be unnecessary for the game you're playing.

Dice pools, on the other hand, require handfuls of dice and it is significantly slower to gather your dice, roll them, and tabulate the results. Furthermore, the probabilities in dice pools can be harder to intuit and work with, and unless the game is designed to work with shit tons of dice (which is obnoxious for obvious reasons), the difference of a single die can be a really big deal, making the smallest difference in ability quite large. What dice pools do give you, however, is an easy way to produce varying levels of success.

The D6 is the most common dice, so it's automatically the best.
Now add dice pools whether or not you're playing with just two dice or a dozen, and you've already improved things tenfolds.

What about success/fail as apposed to sum?

d20, since the granularity rarely matters and working with large numbers is annoying.

Prefer 2d6 though. Results get a bit weighted and there's really no thinking 'overhead' unlike most dice pools.

>The D6 is the most common dice
>not coin flips

Because having more consistent results means your characters stats matter more, and makes more sense than experts having 5% chance to totally fuck everything up and novices having the se chance to succeed at a task well beyond their training.

I'm 90% sure I have more D6s than coins

I didn't even know that actual d100 existed until now. Who the fuck doesn't use two d10 instead?

d100 because it's more natural to thing on %

The d20 is only justified by tradition and useless for newcomers. You might as well be using d6.

D10s a shit, proper dice are platonic solids

d6 system from Shadowrun.

Mechanically sound. But if only those books weren't written so fucking terribly people might actually be able to understand and play them

it is 2d10 to achieve a bell curve. and we have , like , 350 d10 at hand.

also , assuming stats/skills are within dimensions of less then 3 digits , you only need to type in 5 digits at most

f.e. 17(str) x 12(roll)

Not that user, but I'm curious: why is it that people prefer dice with regular shapes? Is it just pleasing geometry or does it effect probability in some negative way?

D120

Fight me.

It's great as long as you don't mind that it never stops rolling.

It really doesn't.

I hope someone spares me his time to explain to me why d20 is shit. I'm genuinely curious. Examples needed.

you mean the d20 System or icosahedral dice numbered 1-20?

d20 * d5

Yes you were, user. Don't lie.

The d100 is false precision incarnate.

Autism

I kind of like the D20 system and don't particularly care if it's obsolete because they correspond to the Platonic solids. I don't know, why not infuse your dice-rolling with a bit of lore for your game? It just makes things a bit more fun

>I'm 90% sure I have more D6s than coins
Really? I'm only 83.33% sure.

2D6 is superior to 1D20 because of center weighting

1D100 should only be nessisary for very niche events, not a core part of the engine. You do not need 100 part granularity as part of general conflict resolution. That being said, you don't need a 100 sided dice for 1d100, just use 2 ten sided dice, rolled one at a time. Idiot.

Still waiting for someone to use this in a homebrew or something.

Roll 3dX, take the middle result.

No-math centered curve

Interesting, I may try this with WRM.

At the very least, it's great to use in otherwise flat systems as a "drop in" solution for people who prefer having a dice curve. Just don't use crit-confirmation with this, it's built in.

WRM is 1D6 where a 6 is rerolled and added to the previous roll - would change that to a 5 or 6 with this system

Speaking of which, comparison to classic 2dX curves, it's not far off.

>Not using bell curves

You do realize that "roll under target" is the same as "add target to roll over right?

Which is to say, rolling a d20 to get an 8 or less is the same as adding 8 to a d20 with a target of 21+.

In principle yes but the stat that is defined by the dm isn t the same in both cases. Basically it s d&d vs wfrp

He said he liked his fumbles

Your presented options suck. Get three six-sided dice and roll those.

>Take any d20 game
>Replace all d20 rolls with 3d6
>Tweak critical rules to fit
Automatically better.

Depends entirely on how its used.

Assuming d100 as in percentile, where the system doesn't scale past 100%, then often I'll prefer that. Not because it has more granularity, but because it's more immediately obvious how the numbers interplay. It requires less system-specific expertise to know how easy or difficult something is when compared to the typical d20-based game.

3d20

>False precision
How? In game, you actually do have a 31% chance. In real life, you have an exact chance as well, it's just that the system might not have correctly estimated the chance.

d1000

Easy?

You are using your false sense of precision to try and gauge that real life chance, when in reality you probably can't even guess it as closely as a d10, much less a d20, definitely not to an exact percent d100.

Overall you're just wasting thought and using a more complicated system for the sake of being complicated.

I pay with plastic, who the fuck still carries any change?

Basically.

You are also adding complication to what would have been an easy check.

That has the exact same probability as a d10.

Looks different, honestly, if that is what he prefers. So be it.

I'd rather not have a set of d10s that I would easily confuse for my d20s

Rune Quest is my Systemfu so d100 every time.

It would be remiss of me to answer otherwise.

That's not fair, faggot.

My dice sets consist only of a d8 (two, one of which is numbered 1-4 twice) , a d12 (two, one of which is numbered 1-6 twice) and a d20 (two, one numbered 1-10 twice): only dice that actually roll and they cover the d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20 with just three shapes.

I like d20 systems. They're fun when you want your rolls to be random, rather than beholden to a predictable curve.

That said, my favorite game right now is Savage Worlds, and that's d4 through d12 with a d6 as a "wild die". The only downside of it is that it's, as I said, somewhat predictable.