EDH/Commander general

Snek Voltron best Voltron Edition

>Old thread
→ #

>RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/commander
deckstats.net/decks/25595/495467-titania/en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

whats the fastest win you've ever seen lads?

I've seen an entire table scoop to a turn 1 Serra Ascendant because they're shitters.

Was like turn 4 the dagsson player comboed off and blew the field up everytime anyone played a land

My Jarad deck can theoretically kill the tablr turn 2, but I've never seen it go off before 4 in actual play.

...literally how.

I played a guy one on one once and dropped my Avacyn turn three and swung in for 24 Commander damage turn four.

I win turn 1 pretty frequently. Probably will until WotC bans Show and Tell.

Why is he so based Veeky Forums?

>Pretty frequently
If you're getting Mana Crypt and Show and Tell in your opening hand 'pretty frequently' then either your group needs to stop letting you do partial paris, or you're cheating.

Also, WOTC ain't gonna ban shit, because they aren't in charge of the banlist.

T1- land into either Sol Ring or Exploration and a second land.
T2- land (and another land if you're using Exploration), Buried Alive for Necrotic Ooze, Triskelion, and Phyrexian Devourer, then Reanimate the Necrotic Ooze. Exile your library for counters and ping everyone to death. Won't work if you have more than 4 players, though.

because basically unblockable
he goes well with Odric 2 and some token generators

I'm not cheating. We play often enough and I'm willing to mull twice to get it, since you only need 5 cards to go off, and you still get to pull even on the play in EDH due to the multiplayer rules.

>WotC not in charge of the banlist
>bans cards anyways

magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/commander

He all honorable 'n shit
He got bitches on his dick
Nigga so swag he commands combat phase
Nigga a stone cold motherfucker ain't take shit from nobody
Nigga pimp slap bitches so they scoop

WOTC has zero control over the banlist.

He never sticks in my playgroup.

Lots of spot removal.

>Odric for 4
>ded
>okay Odric for 6
>ded
>okay Odric for 8
>ded
>fuck it

He's one of the few effects that gives you such complete control.

Nothing in the world better than making them block a Tolarion Entracer with everything with a Dolmen Gate out.

Wizards just reposts the banlist from the RC, an independent body of chucklefucks who think Prophet of Kruphix is unhealthy for a format that allows Necropotence.

>My Mulligans in EDH are consistent to frequently being able to assemble the 5 perfect cards
>In EDH
You need to learn to shuffle user.

To be fair, untapping all your lands and critters during everyone else's untap step is total bullshit.

What are essential cards for a B/R deck?

Harder to pull off but lattice + unwinding clock is still legal

I don't understand your ass-pain. I pile shuffle and let people cut the deck. We play EDH, several times a week, generally a few games at a time.

The odds of seeing this combo come up weekly when I'm willing to mull for it at least two times (or other T1-3 combos that the deck is stuffed with) per game is actually pretty good as a result.

>h-he's lying or cheating!

Okay.

There's LOTS of T1 wins in EDH. Hermit Druid deck, an Ad Nauseum deck, Hivemind, Worldgorger, Rector, etc

Heartless Hidestugu, he's consistently an all-star in my deck.

I also like thunderblust, but it's pretty easy to remove.

Stranglehold, Price of Glory and Grave Pact babyyyyyyyy

Seedborn Muse isn't banned. Like, I'm fine with the ban, the card bugged me too, but let's not pretend that's the whole situation.

The giving flash just meant it scaled well with more players. Kind of like Koko being banned now.

well then I'm glad they've banned things which untap even more than that.
oh wait.

Seedborn Muse exists. The addition of flash is what really pushed Prophet, but you can still run Vedalekn Orrery or Yeva alongside Muse, though that is harder to assemble.

That's not so bad. The bullshit part was that it was UG, and Seedborn Muse and Yeva rolled into one card, so you basically got 3 extra turns going around the table.

Dark Ritual, Entomb, Sire of Insanity, Animate Dead.

Just for T1 "haha, we're playing TOPDECK now, faggots".

Still rather sad when someone Plains into Path, but there are other times where it's the stupidest shit ever.

turn 4 victimize reanimating archetype of endurance and it that betrays. someone dropped a wrath and he had swan song to protect it. everyone packed it up before it that betrays could swing.

No, it is not bullshit to untap your stuff during everyone's untap step because you don't get to draw additional cards at the beginning of the upkeep. It gives you an advantage assuming you have things that take advantage of it, but in an empty board state, with no cards in hand, not only is kruphix insanely easy to remove but you'd probably be better off playing a vanilla creature.

Now, the reason Kruphix is banned is because WotC is an idiot and reprinted it in an easily accessible box set, that plummeted her price down to like $1 and it would become a staple of every single u/g deck that could get their hands on it. I know I was a noob and I had a kruphix/prophet combo. It was janky and it was slow, but I could reliably cast Newlamog and Kozilek 1.0 when people were fiddling around with their little chump blockers and dorks.

T3, but that was an 8 player game where everyone said "yes" to tempt with discovery

>but in an empty board state, with no cards in hand
that literally never happens when you're playing UGx

>it's no good if [extremely narrow and specific circumstance] occurs!
kys nigger

Who needs cards in hand?

Post weird old cards that don't fit the current color pie

Rules question.

Does Training Ground work with Reanimating Skeleton in the graveyard? I only ask because it says "creatures you control". If it's in my graveyard, is it still technically a creature that I control?

If that doesn't work, what about Heartstone? Same deal?

I only ask because I want infinite ETB triggers with Phyrexian Altar to trigger other jank in my jankengine.

Okay.

deckstats.net/decks/25595/495467-titania/en

I've been working on this list for awhile and I am trying my best to make it as good as possible. I'm thinking about adding a Glacial Chasm, Woodland Bellower, and possibly Cordant Crossroads. Do you guys think they would be worth it? And what would you think to cut if you were to add them.

General comments and suggestions about the deck are welcome too.

Creatures you control refers to creatures on the battlefield. You'd need to find an effect that said "activated abilities of creature cards in your graveyard cost x less to cast."

no, when a creature is in the graveyard it is just a creature card rather than a creature you control. the game makes a distinction between the two. training ground will only affect creatures you control currently on the battlefield.

Same deal for heartstone.

Red control a best

Nope, shit's a card when it is in your yard.

Do you want good cards or...?

Holy shit that completely hoses Krenko

I mean, good cards would be preferred but really I'll take any old weird shit

True. I'd feel like a dick putting it in my deck just to hide one guy though.

But yeah, this is a huge list of cards. I like finding out of color pie stuff, but you probably want to narrow it down.

A'ight. I'll try to do some in each color, so people don't throw hissy fits about how the modern color pie sucks and favors a certain color more.

Hivestone and Basalt Sliver will give you the goods, user.

Skelly is now a sliver-skelly. He sacs himself for BB. Now you use the BB to pay for himself and bring him back. Infinite ETB triggers, still only two cards (Stone/Sliver instead of Training Ground/Altar).

Classic. Very dumb and powerful. Practically a staple. Red eventually got a version, but since this was mainly used for dumb mana shit, the red one isn't very good.

Lots of things hose Krenko. His player just has to try to kill you before you draw those things.

Beloved creature. Clearly green but is WUB.

Blue damage-based sweepers are pretty weird

Black has Fog. White does too, but Holy Day is pretty well known.

I'm torn friends. There are lots of things that I want to build, but I'm not sure where to get started.

>monoblack tutor city with maybe sidisi or endrek as commander
>colourless eldrazi artifact nonsense with Kozilek or Newlamog as my commander
>jhoria eldrazi suspend
>rakdos riots
>Uril aura goodstuff
>mazierk sac fest
>new teysa voltron featuring at least 5 board wipes and 4 synonyms for shrivel

I don't know which one to pick because I'd like to run something half-decent considering my limited budget. I already have a lot of staples, but I'd be missing most expensive cards. That being said, I own a full set of mana rocks (ur-golem's eye, worn powerstone, sol ring, thran dynamo, etc), eye of ugin, eldrazi temple, and sactum of ugin to go along with all the playable eldrazi titans/blightsteel. I do have neat things for other colours, but most of my money is invested in artifacts and b/g. What should I make? I've thought about this way too much and my brain hurts.

I dropped MtG years ago, restarted with Tarkir and dropped it again for time/money issues. Still, I found Delve and the black/blue/green snakesmen tribes pretty cool.

Am I the only one who liked the Delve mechanic? Because I surely feel in a minority here.

>The reason Kruphix is banned is because it was cheap
Yeah, that's why. It had nothing to do with the fact that it basically gave you 4 fucking turns every turn cycle in one of the most cheese-tastic color combinations.

And no shit it's not good on an empty board state with no cards in hand while your opponent has removal. If that's your metric for whether or not a card is broken, there's not very many 'good' cards in the game.

Literally never have seen this card before, but here is a Black Pacifism variant.

Delve has lingering salt because of Treasure Cruise (and to a lesser extent, Dig Through Time) warping shit.

Lots of people liked Delve

Delve is a phenomenally powerful mechanic and is beloved. They were just very careful with it because of its effect on Legacy, so there ended up being only a few cards that weren't essentially French vanilla.

Very common in monogreen. I imagine most lists have replaced it with Scour from Existance though, at least for the speed.

>very careful with it
>Literally had to ban two of the cards they printed with Delve within a year

If you don't have *any* EDH decks yet, I would strongly avoid building a mono-color EDH deck. They're just too far simple to hose and every motherfucker out there is running an Iona or something else to take a big fat shit on your deck.

I don't frankly like any of the options you've provided though, for various reasons.

>Jhoria Eldrazi
Jhoria decks are all the same and they usually just piss people off and get everyone to dogpile and fuck you off the table once they realize your game plan.

>Rakdos *insert meme here*
I find EDH a terrible format for R/B in general, since there's so many tools in the other colors to shut down their shenanigans. You end up blowing your wad and sitting there playing topdeck while everyone else noodles out.

>Uril
This is a good deck, make no mistake. It just happened to be one of the most popular EDH decks around for months on end. It's not as obnoxious as Zur, but yeah. I'd still pick this out of everything you've suggested, with Colorless Eldrazi as a second option, provided you have the manabase. Just having rocks, Eye/Temple and Sanctum isn't enough though and colorless land, the good ones, is pricy.

My suggestions : Pick something that has G for ramp, or U for card draw, because not having mana or cards in EDH is literally the most boring fucking thing you can endure.

You do realize that you don't have to cram-fuck all the colorless lands in the world into an Eldrazi deck now that you can use Wastes, right?

Like, there's very very good lands that OUGHT to go in an optimized build, but you can start with a ton of Wastes and go from there for a first deck.

They fucked up on the ones that draw cards, true. But shit like Set Adrift, Dead Drop and Sibsig Muckdraggers? They aren't super exciting for EDH because they are 100% is my point.

Funny thing about Set Adrift, I made this card for a CCT a few years back and got told off for making busted cards and Delve needs to be costed more.

More weird old cards.

I mean, colorshifting it to Porphyry Nodes wasn't much better.

Yeah but wastes sell for almost a dollar now, so unless he already has some, I doubt he's keen on spending $30 on memelands that you can't use anywhere else, as opposed to dropping that $30 on actual good land staples that can be used in many decks.

It honestly fit the color pie better.

I actually have a suite of interesting colourless lands, a metric fuckton of wastes, and the various Arcane Lighthouse/pheryxian core that came with some of those precons. I think eldrazi might be the best, and the one that could be upgraded the most easily, I just thought colourless didn't really have a strong commander, which is why I was thinking Rakdos and Jhoria instead.

Thanks user, I appreciate it. I was just thinking monoblack for consistency against people I know don't run color hate.

Only thing is, dropping 30 on Wastes gives him 30 lands. Dropping 30 on 'actual good land staples' gets him like, 5.

This is one I found recently. It looks too good not to run, even if it`s 4cmc.

>gets him like, 5

Not in EDH it doesn't.

Commander Tower is like $1.50 and it doesn't get much fucking better than that. There's TONS of dirt cheap, comes into play untapped shit that works in EDH.

Oh, I thought you meant him spending 30 dollars on COLORLESS utility lands towards that deck.

Yeah no, if he's spending 30 on general utility lands, that's a whole other thing, I'm sorry.

Mmm.

In early sets, it wasn't set in stone what each color should and shouldn't do.
Some designers wanted all the colors to do everything, others like in Homelands, had no idea about what they where doing

I actually have a lot of pretty neat dual lands. I have almost all the scry ones, all the life ones, some of the creature ones, a majority of the fast ones, and a shock or two kicking around. Little to no fetch lands though. I also have a command tower and some of those basic-but-also-cycle lands.

Fuck, I was like "wtf, a 2/4 for B?!". Going blind is fucking shit I tell you.

For EDH leads out of the Eldrazi, I really only like Emrakul, Aeons Torn. Extra turn/can't be countered/protection from colored spells is real nice.

All of the other ones basically have everyone eyeballing your deck and saving that Path or Boomerang or counterspell and wait for you to blow your wad with the mana investment. If I had to pick another one as lead though, I'd probably go for Ulamog Ceaseless Hunger for the two permanent exile/indestructible.

Most of the other ones

I want one of these so bad but not $125 bad.

Emrakul's also banned in the format, sooooo

What can I do 1v1 against Bruna. If you don't have any removal or whatever the moment she hits the board that bitch comes up with lol eldrazi conscription lol corrupted conscience and it's pretty much over.

Cast Tattoo Ward on her.

Don't play a multiplayer format 1v1?

Or you know, counterspells

Have removal?

It's not like she has haste or fetches enchantments from the fucking library.

Whoops. My group still allows him as a leader, so I didn't notice. I suppose he got banned because he was too easy to cheat out elsewise. I don't think he's that terrible when confined to the command zone though.

Nah, it was the same base reason as Primeval Titan: it becomes a game of fighting over a single card (who can steal it, reanimate it at instant speed after killing it, copy it, clone it, etc) and the combination of abilities on it made it extremely unfun to play against.

I know. I'm just fulfilling a guy's request.

Everyone does that. These printings were fucked.

Landhome was a mistake. A well-intentioned, flavorful mistake, but a mistake.

Nothing is more old school than landhome

Oloro player goes first, has Flash, Enchant Granny, Enter the Infinite, an Island and a Mana Crypt in opening hand. Needles to say we all groaned and re-shuffled our decks.

>want to build 2-color
>no fucking idea which 2 colors to build
HELP

I was thinking Izzet or Golgari

Don't pick a color. Pick a thing you want to do.

Is there a Commander that looks interesting? A strategy or theme you want to try? A card or combo or synergy that you'd like to build a deck around?

Well, it's not hard to make her fetch enchantments from the library.

But in most games she's not coming down on turn 3 and swinging before you have a chance to do something. He's gonna cast her hoping to swing for the fences next turn, and you either blast her with a Doom Blade when she hits the board or you have a whole suite of options on your own turn.

People really need to play more spot removal.

Dralnu looks real cool but I'm not one for control. Jarad looks like a fun engine, sac creatures, make people lose life and make Jarad bigger as a result

I have a Rakdos list that strays away from the fallacies of a typical Rakdos. I had good games with it every time I played it at a 70% power-level table. I just need a way to post the damn thing that isn't tedious.