Frostgrave Friday

Resources
FAQ thread where you can ask to Joseph A. McCullough, Frostgrave designer (forum handle joe5mc)
lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=80477.0

Online warband creator
battletortoise.com/frostgrave/roster.html

Rulebook:
mega.co.nz/#!CVF3GTIS!i0V9IaACpjj1s1Bq2wqvZII5T5ad8UULZYWW3mpefc0

Lich+Golem+Sellsword+Alchemy:
mediafire.com/folder/1e68645496dga//Frostgrave

Warhammer Townscapes: old school Warhammer Fantasy print buildings
mega.co.nz/#F!OgpwzAKS!a5eVE6pOagTTOWEr5tEaEQ

Official Miniatures
20x Soldiers and a lot of bits
northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7467
20x Cultists, and a lot of bits
northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=7731

Wizard sheet
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXdkRYZlM5TjhRSDA/view?usp=sharing
spell cards
drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwx8Os21jzeXV3psZ0hOT1AwMEE/view?usp=sharing

Don't forget - you can use any miniatures from any manufacturer, regardless of their race - just make them obvious what they are.

"Required" scenery
>6x6 mausoleum
>6 special treasure token - 3 per player
>Various spooky skeletons
>A Genie
>10 inch+ high tower and enough broken wall sections to make a 12x12 ruined building
>Zone mortalis kind of board + 4 doorways
>6x statues
>1x giant worm (human sized)
>6 small buildings without roof
>6 wraiths
>a well
>4x 2" diameter discs
>6 columns or ruined columns (or re-use the statues)

If expansions are in play, add-
Hunt for the Golem
>One Granite Golem
>Five corpse markers per player
>Ruined factory terrain

Sellsword
>Six pillars
>Four additional wells
>Nullmen miniatures (suggested number: 2-5 per player)

Thaw of the Lich Lord
>Assorted cultists
>6 Rangifiers (reindeer beastmen)
>One ship
>A cart
>Seven independent doorways
>One Ghoul King
>A throne
>A large cauldron
>Banshees (1 per warband)
>A 6" wheel/circle
>A Lich Lord
>Two Wraith Knights (+1/player beyond two)

Alchemy
>One Alchemical Monstrosity
>Four Fire Flingers

So what are you looking forward to most atm?
The new minis for Breeding Pits, the new school of magic or are you working on something else atm?
Personally I think I'll get the new soothsayer sculpt here.

So I got a question for you guys.

I'm gonna base my infantry on 25mm round bases. The warhounds and similar critters (wolves, snow leopards, wild dogs) could fit on a ~30mm, 40mm or a cavalry base of some sort.
I'm not sure how I want to base them since some of the minis I have, have a smaller footprint than others.

Would you decide on a individual basis or try to keep it consistent for all minis of a certain type given the chance?

I really like those minis, will definitely buy. want to make a tunnel network for the tabletop, but I still dont have proper board coverage for the base game....

>want to make a tunnel network for the tabletop
Something like canal through the city?
I've been thinking of something similar. Can even do the scenario with the ship wreck from Lichlord properly with scenery that way.

oh fuck i love the sword and the stone. I might have to make a warband about that movie

Reaper has a whole bunch of wizards with Owl familiars.
Even got an apprentice with one called iltheas.

bump

With a bit of work, you could make the canals double as sewers/tunnels with some creative modelling.

Gnolls. Hordes of gnolls.

Possibly mounted rules if they're including those.

Perhaps these threads should genericize into "Fantasy Skirmish" generals and incorporate Frostgrave alongside Mordheim and SoBH. Could help keep interest up and possibly lead to cross-discussion about the pros/cons or strengths/weaknesses of these systems, plus discussion on what elements of either can be borrowed from other systems to spice things up.

I base all my skirmish games the same way:
regular human-25mm base
big guys and leaders-32mm
Cavalry-40mm bases (I hate oval bases)

Ents, trolls, ogres etc. anywhere between 40-80mm depending on the miniature size. Just based the FG greater demon on a 60mm base.

HOWEVER since you have pre-existing minis you might want to go case by case basis.

>HOWEVER since you have pre-existing minis you might want to go case by case basis.
Yeah I have some WHFB miniatures that I plan on using and some stuff left that I still need to paint for that army/warband. So I'll stick to square bases for these.

But I also got a mix of various historicals and fantasy minis from different manufacturers, for which I want to establish some kind of baseline.

I was thinking along the same lines as you for base sizes in general though.
The reason I hesitate (apart from overthinking things) is that I'm a bit worried about how many models can get into base contact with each other and how that would affect the combat rules.

This just in:
GW is gonna start selling some of the old LotR scenery and miniatures again.
Apparently with the old pricetag too.

Might have to get one of these Ruins of Osgiliath kits. Figure they'd be a good fit for Frostgrave.

I approve of this. Fantasy skirmish games general? Wrath of kings and all the other cool guys with not enough love like the oldie confrontations.

Sounds good to me.

I don't have any memory of that version of the Osgiliath kit.

It's the one they've been selling on their page over the last few years.
The ones that come with the starter kits were different though.

You're not allowed to discuss the weaknesses of Frostgrave since apparently it doesn't have any.

Suggesting that the game might be anything other than perfect makes you some kind of no fun allowed shitter crossed with hitler.

When is this?

I think I'll need one or two of those...

The inherent swingyness of the d20s and the failures of the campaign system have been pretty much discussed in every single thread.

I'm not sure what you are referring to, but since FG comes with an explicit 'make it your own game' paragraph in the BRB, people have also been posting about houseruling cavalry etc, so it's pretty much the epitome of being open to whatever.
The main draw for most people I think is being able to use any and all minis they have kicking around.

GW sent a newletter today where they announced that some of the LotR stuff would come back.
The ruins were added back in over the day and are currently displayed has being out of stock. So I guess over the next few days you should be able to order them again.

If someone has ideas they've implemented that they think made the game more enjoyable for them, that's awesome, post your houserules, give us your thoughts.

But wasting posts on people who just read the rules, haven't played a single game and decided it's shitty because arbitrary reason is pointless.

The same guy comes into every thread to bitch about the same thing, but it's always just "thing X sucks, why isn't there Y?" but never any indication of having arrived at that conclusion by playing the game.

It's the perfect game to modify if you have different taste than the designer does, but it's not exactly a hyper competitive game, so there's a very limited interest by the other posters to argue about "balance" since that doesn't really seem to be what people who like FG prioritize.

My group plays with advancement for every warband member, more detailed weapon rules, grappling, tackling, wound tables, D6 pools instead of D20 roll highest and area terrain, and we're having a blast. It's not exactly frostgrave any more, but without frostgrave we would probably not have gotten into 28mm skirmish games again.

>Anyone who doesn't like the game hasn't played it

This is why I can't talk to you people, you're just so fucking stupid.

No, you can't talk to us people because you're only interested in whining. I'm just stating fact. A lot of the people bitching seem to either not understand the point of a rule, or just think that taste=truth, or clearly not have played the game at all.

If you're the exception, fantastic, my hat off for you, but if you're just here to post gifs and be a smug cunt, maybe you shouldn't be surprised that people treat you like an asshole.

You are not raising a topic of discussion either.
Assuming this is your post as well you just attacked the playerbase in general for stuff that didn't even happen in this thread and in the this post you just called him stupid without addressing anything else he said.

I mean we are here and so are you. If you want to talk about Frostgrave that's great, because that is why we are all here.
So far you didn't say anything about the game itself at all though.

Why don't you just drop the spite and talk about what really bothers you?

So when making terrain out of styrofoam how essential is one of those special tools with a heated wire?

Not 100% essential, but it does come in handy.

It's a hell of a lot cleaner; you're dealing with chunks of waste foam instead of little bits of snow.

So how many people actually play with snow covered terrain? It seems like such a bother to just have a bunch of winter terrain when you also play wargames that has your guys with spring and summer themed bases.

These threads are so pointless.

Then don't post in them. I don't go crapping in CCG threads.

You're absolutely right, user.

Maybe we should work together and come up with rules/scenarios, so we can make the thread have a point!

>D6 pools instead of D20 roll highest
Can you explain how this works please?

I base my stuff with generic grey dirt/rocks so they are as inoffensive to a particular setting as possible.

I used to do that, but then I thought it got kinda boring. So with my Warhammer Empire minis I decided that I was going to decorate more, so I started basing my guys with a summer theme. Now they have bright green grass, bushes, flowers and all kinds pretty stuff.
Maybe I should do some of my ruin buildings overgrown with vegetation?

>I thought it got kinda boring

I can see that's a possibility. I really like decorated bases (going full summer theme for my girl's wood elves), but for maximum flexibility I try to keep it as generic as possible.

pic related is muh autism tingling when someone fields grassy based minis on a cobblestone city table

Just think of it like Creepshow.

Is that a young Stephen King?

Yes. Go watch Creepshow.

It sure is. If you havn't seen it I would recomend it for Halloween. It's like Twilight Zone meets Stephen King.

I based my WHFB army with snow anyway, so I'm probably gonna stick with the theme.
I really like the idea of a frozen city.
I'm sure there's winter in Mordheim too, so I'm not worried about the whole thing being too specific.