Stompiest Creatures edition

Stompiest Creatures edition

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Also, try not to let the thread die this time. Just make a new one.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ultra-budget-maelstrom-wanderer/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you forgot the title shit boss

Oh I know I did, I'm filled with 10,000 lamentations because I hate making new threads. Maybe I should just delete things and skulk off to the lurking shadows. I had to go to the archive to get all the normal OP.

Hey there guys.
Im new to commander. I have seen alot of games online (MTGgoldfish and some others) and this seems like the format for me!

But my problem is I dont know which commander or deck I should get.
Do you guys have any recommendation, based on the following:

I really like:
> BIG slow (expensive) creatures with weird or crazy abilities
> Playing control and copying my opponents stuff (be it creatures or instant and sorcery's - Control Magic, Supplant Form, Talent of the Telepath and Villainous Wealth)
> Enchantments (I like to have a lot of em. Both cheap and expensive. I really like Primeval Bounty)
> Powerfull "jank"
> Grindy games

Im not a big fan of:
> Combos that instantly win you the game (i do like combos, but not those who wins the game on the spot)

Some of the commanders I have looked at are "Grand Arbiter Augustin IV" and "Damia, Sage of Stone".
Im not necessarily sure about the color combination, but I really wanna play blue. I also wanna play a deck that is fun to play against.

What do you think? Do you have any recommendation and links?
I would like it to be under 100 dollars. I dont mind playing with less optimal cards. I can upgrade over time.

throw another lamentation in there because you fucked up

For big stompy stuff, you can just do anything green mostly but I've had the most fun playing Mayael for stompy stuff
Control and copying stuff is exactly what Riku does
Zur is the best enchantment based commander but also tends to get hated off of the board super hard, so if you want enchantments, go with Bruna, or if you're feeling particularly jank, BW Daxos
If you want grind, Meren or Jarad just grind value out of creatures, but Damia isn't a bad option if you build goodstuff

EDHRec is your friend, trust me. If you want a deck that basically doesn't cost a lot of money and is effective, look into the Sidsi Ad Nauseum build or the Mikaeus super-budget build because both should still be undser $40 or so but they're both mono black decks that aim to just shit out wins in the dirtiest possible way

Hey user, that's a lot of questions.

You probably want to play something U/G or W/U/G. The reason is that blue enables you to use a lot of control stuff, green generally has the stompiest creatures, and U/G is usually a pretty casual friendly deck. You get things like Kruphix (read: not prophet of kruphix) and W/U/G has a pretty good precon with a bird wizard as a commander.

Now, going a little off the board here, try a Sederis R/B/U deck. Fill it full of removal and control shenanigans, lots of self mill, and abuse the crap out of unearth. You'll probably have a pretty good time.

If you want something a little more viable for beginners but a little less consistent, try Xenagos. He's R/G, can give creatures haste, and doubles the attack power of one of your attacking creatures. He's also pretty easy to build, just throw in fatties, protection, and some removal for when you're in trouble.

If everything I said sounds like nonsense, go to EDHREC, browse commanders you like, and just take a peak at tappedout decks so you know generally what type of things go together. I don't expect you to have a T1 $3k deck, but it can show you what works and what doesn't work in general.

Thanks! All those commanders looks great! Gonna look deeper into them.
Those two budget decks looks cool aswell!

Yea I know it was alot of questions but thanks for answering! Cool recommendations.

Riku of two reflections also looks like what you are looking for

Sounds like you might like Yasova Dragonclaw.

If you build a casual deck and play with a groul experienced with the format, do not play Derevi (said bird wizard) as your commander. Derevi is notorious for being the general of an oppressive stax deck that is generally unfun to play against and will paint a target on yourself.
Seconding Riku amd Yasova as generals that may be fun for you.

Pic related would probably fit you. Tho people might dislike you for using it because it can be quite powerful.

From the art it really seems like Uril should be a yeti or a troll rather than a beast.

>yetis aren't beasts

?????

also he's way too fuckin big to be a troll, or really anything but a giant or beast

uril, sigarda and hexproof commanders in general probably aren't advisable since every other player is just going to whine and shit themselves over being unable to "interact" with you because they're fucking bad at magic

>playing narset
>have enchantment out giving creatures haste
>get out narset on turn 6 and attacks
>get Ugin and Karn in the same attack
>tfw i got Ugin and Karn out on turn 6

Man the salt was real

I just got the last card I needed to finish my Esper mana base. Well other than blinging out my shocklands and fetchlands.

How do my friend and I stop our third friend building spike decks? We don't think he even knows his decks aren't fun.

i think i'm gonna build dralnu, anybody got a list for reference?

Talk to him.

Infect nekusar. It will combo out and your opponents will die on drawstep. You can afford 10 jank slots to put in whatever you want like jin gitaxis or dark petition.

We tried. He doesn't understand why he hate his decks.

What decks does he have? Next time he wins you should set the commander and mana base on fire

Try harder to explain it?

So, his decks have always been super spike. His current EDH decks are creature Teferi, angry Omnath, Mizzix storm, a mostly fair 1v1 reanimator, and a shitty Zedruu. He wins the majority of the time because we're playing fun decks in a casual format and he's playing some net-deck. The guy doesn't even understand why Lantern Control is boring. He's a nice guy in general, but he doesn't really get that magic is for fun.

Offer to trade decks with him for a night so you can each try out decks you consider fair.

play gilded drake, bribery, aethersnatch and reiterate. If you play it right he will hate his own deck too.

Don't forget Commandeer

We were thinking of doing that, yeah. But I feel like it would just make him see the problem with one deck, not his whole mentality.

I thought about it and spelljack, but ive played both and they werent good enough. I suppose I should have said stolen goods, nothing counters put on the top of your library tutors like stolen goods.

>The guy doesn't even understand why Lantern Control is boring.
He can't be saved user, I'm sorry

So I finally got to use a Sylvan Library for the first time last night at an EMA draft. It felt more like a free Top activation every turn than a Brainstorm or Sign in Blood. It smoothed out my draws but not much else.

If I run it in EDH, am I supposed to play lifegain so that I can just pay 8 life every turn for the free cards?

No, just win with it.

sylvan library really shines when you're able to consistently shuffle away things you don't need

combine it with brainstorm, fetch lands, scroll rack.. you get the idea. it's never really about how much life you're gaining or losing with it, it's about how often you can shift the top three cards and manipulate your hand with it

>am i supposed to pay life for insane card advantage in a 40 life format?

gee i fuckin wonder

He plays EDH what did you expect?

I only pay life when I have no way to shuffle some bad cards away. Then I just pay 8 to get done with it.

since when did edh become the retard playstyle?

Played a game with my Sydri deck yesterday vs pretty standard Mizzix and Gitrog. It boggled my mind how incredibly slow and noninteracting their decks were. I was able to get out my mana rocks pretty easily, and ramped into big card draw. Hell, I had new Jace active for 6 turns (got attacked once to keep him off ult) until they both scooped to my control. Is this the new norm? Do people just try to play solitaire and let their opponents get away with murder? I only cast 3 counterspells all game, and one was stolen.

Tldr: play something proactive in your decks

Yeah, that is a cool card commander. I like that it is cheap to cast. Temur is also a cool color combination.

He looks really powerfull, but im not a big fan of voltron. But thanks for the recommendation!

Nekusar, the Mindrazer really appeals to me. Will look into the deck you recommended. Thanks.

Yeah I think Im leaning towards him.

I think you are probably right. It is also what I have seen in the gameplay videos I have seen. Thanks dude.

>nekusar
>le killed you by making you draw your deck zombie

>milling with Nekusaur

card draw = mill

reading comprehension is hard, huh?

since Legacy and Vintage exists?

the win condition is the exact same as mill

there are so many faster, better ways to get a kill with the Zombie Wizard

>Acquired a Chome mox for a bunch of foil EMA commons last night

So, if I have a single slot for a mana rock, and I have to choose between Sol Ring and Chrome Mox, which is the better choice?

Sol ring. The Mox isn't very good except in combo decks.

Sol Ring in most cases, but in the right deck both are worth playing

Unless your deck is reeeeally good, you've probably got room for both. If I HAD to pick one, Ring.

DID SOMEONE SAY POWERFUL JANK?

OK, I guess it felt a bit different in a draft where everyone was playing aggro and 20 life didn't last very long.

The deck I'm considering putting it in is a control deck, and it does run 2 sources of life gain: Invincible Hymn and Beacon of Immortality. I've found that gaining 40-60 life at a time can be situationally useful, so I was considering adding a couple more cards that stabilize my life total. Eternity Vessel, for example. On the other hand, I normally have enough tutor effects to find the hymn when I need it.

This might interest you as well

YESH PLZ! That is the kind of card I like! HAHA! Thanks

Yesh! That card is on my list. Thanks!

GuyFieri.dec is coming along well. Turns out food references and G/B actually aren't a terrible mix

Quit saying "yesh", you thundering faggot.

Got it, ty. My co-worker really wants to trade for the Mox and I wasn't sure whether-or-not it would be a waste to get rid of it. Then again, they just texted me that they just pulled a Mana Crypt so they might be less interested now...

>no Show and Tell reprint in EMA
But why

random guy comes to your play group and plays this deck:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ultra-budget-maelstrom-wanderer/

Your reaction when he pulls the infinite combo and kills your ass?

>it only dies to any >2dmg instant removal

Gotta save some things for EMA 2: electric bragoloo

Jesus Christ edgelord. Calm your fedora. I know it can be weird to see people being friendly, when you live in your moms basement and dont interact with other people beside the cancer on Veeky Forums. Get out of your room more. Not everyone uses the same phrases as you so be prepared b/c your autismo will be triggered in real life. You are that guy at the FNM (if you even show up for that) that the other players hate. You always correct the other guys and look at them as degenerates, when you are the real degeneret. The only girl you would be able to score is ones with low self esteem and on the edge on suicide and you wont make that better.

Yesh you "triggered" me. I hate it when the MTG community are assholes towards others in the community and when people are, they need to be told so. You need to get your shit together and dont be that asshole you are. This isnt /b asshat. Your comment would have been hilarious and very thoughtful if you have posted it on that board and that would have been cool.

> Ohhh you are the one being an ass now. Fuck you faggggoooot

I dont get it though

Why does reminder text - text explicitly put to remind people how a mechanic works - not be considered in the color identity. If Extort accepts both white AND black, wouldn't cards of the mechanic be both white and black? Cards that have abilities using different colors of mana from the mana cost are already considered both for their color identity, so why isn't it the same here as well?

Do Melek and Etherium-Horn Sorcerer work together the way I hope they do?

And here I thought only white could remove things from the game like that.

Old magic cards are so much cooler than what they make now it seems.

Because EDH rules are absolutely fucking retarded and are loose guidelines at best.

What are some good artifact creature tokens generators, /edhg/?
I'm building RUW artifacts and would like to go wide.

When get I get my promo Azusa?

Thopter foundry.

>Why does reminder text - text explicitly put to remind people how a mechanic works - not be considered in the color identity
It might be because reminder text only serves as a reminder, not because it's an exact representation of the mechanic according to the comprehensive rules. Obsidian Fireheart, for example, doesn't actually cause lands to "burn" because that's not a game mechanic.

I appreciate the suggestion, but
>RUW

I get that much, but with mechanics like Extort there is a very clearly put label of what colors it accepts to perform the action of the mechanic. And in your example, "burn" is only used because the thing with the blaze counter is... well... on fire. It's not like there's an uber specific EDH ruling pertaining to the use of fire on your game board, meanwhile there's an uber specific, super important rule pertaining to what makes a card a color or not. Pretty big difference if you ask me, senpai.

The rational is that reminder text isnt actually part of what's written on the card. What's actually written is just "Extort". Take for instance the keyword "Fear". If the reminder text were actually a part of a card with Fear, then it would be legal to Mind Bend/Alter Reality the keyword's function.

I see you crying over Extort, but the reason is Charmed Pendant.

Nice work on the title. So easy to search up.

Can someone tell me the name of the not shit version of this that turns a creature into a forest?

>maelstrom wanderer
I don't play with funhaters

But that's wrong.

Charmed Pendant states

>For each colored mana symbol in that card's mana cost

Yet let's look as Tasigur. He's allowed to be a BUG leader despite the fact that his cost is explicitly black.

Path to Exile.

All memes aside, there isn't one. The closest thing is using Mirrorweave on a Dryad Arbor.

He's talking about mana symbols in reminder text not applying to color identity.

Look at the god damned card, not just gatherer. The reminder text has 3UUB in it, yet it's a colorless card as far as EDH cares.

He's talking about Song of the Dryads, genius.

Jeleva,
mill everyone, steal everything

If you dont already have it on your list, thopter spy network seems great

Extort is the ability. That's it. Just "Extort".
It doesn't read "Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay W/B. If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life." It reads "Extort".

The reminder text tells you what Extort does., namely "Whenever you cast a spell, you may pay W/B. If you do, each opponent loses 1 life and you gain that much life."

Back to the card.
Basilica Screecher, for example has "Flying, Extort". No mention of the mana symbol.
Neither does Charmed Pendant's ability.
The reminder text is there to explain the ability. But it's still just that: a reminder.

Is this weird? Sure. Would it be understandable to make Extort only work in W/B decks? Sure. But it doesn't, it would be a rules headache to work around it and it could cause problems in the future.

>fun deck to play against
>blue

Pick one

Yeah, I pulled a foil one. Shit's pretty nice.

I find that's a misleading example, because Exort abilities have color specific costs as part of their activation, whereas Charmed Pendant is using the reminder text as a literal example.

I suppose WotC is to blame for this, since activated abilities don't have a color, despite having specific color costs.

Yeah this is what I was asking about. Thanks.

Fear is an ability with a color-specific requirement in it's reminder text, yet it's not elligible for interaction with color text-changing effects because the actual word "black"isn't part of the card's text

I would love that card in foil! Cool

Happy to help.

Song of the dryad senpai

Yeah. WU is the casting cost.

W/B U

currently running a Scion of the Ur-dragon deck. any suggestions? all the shocks and fetches are expedition
1 Arid Mesa
1 Badlands
1 Bayou
1 Blood Crypt
1 Bloodstained Mire
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
1 Command Tower
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Flooded Strand
2 Forest
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
1 Island
1 Mana Confluence
1 Marsh Flats
1 Mountain
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Plains
1 Plateau
1 Polluted Delta
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Savannah
1 Scrubland
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Swamp
1 Taiga
1 Temple Garden
1 Tropical Island
1 Tundra
1 Underground Sea
1 Volcanic Island
1 Watery Grave
1 Windswept Heath
1 Animate Dead
1 Asceticism
1 Balefire Dragon
1 Bant Charm
1 Bear Umbra
1 Belltoll Dragon
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Bower Passage
1 Brainstorm
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Coalition Relic
1 Commander's Sphere
1 Conflux
1 Crux of Fate
1 Curiosity
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Darksteel Ingot
1 Delay
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Dragon Tyrant
1 Dragonlord Dromoka
1 Dragonlord Ojutai
1 Enlightened Tutor
1 Exploration
1 Explore
1 Fact or Fiction
1 Farseek
1 Heliod's Pilgrim
1 Hellkite Charger
1 Hindering Light
1 Joiner Adept
1 Keen Sense
1 Kodama's Reach
1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
1 Liliana Vess
1 Lotus Petal
1 Moltensteel Dragon
1 Nature's Lore
1 Nicol Bolas
1 Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind
1 Ophidian Eye
1 Plasm Capture
1 Prismatic Omen
1 Rampant Growth
1 Regrowth
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sarkhan Unbroken
1 Scion of the Ur-Dragon
1 Search for Tomorrow
1 Silumgar, the Drifting Death
1 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon
1 Skyshroud Claim
1 Sol Ring
1 Sovereigns of Lost Alara
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sylvan Caryatid
1 Teneb, the Harvester
1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
1 Wargate
1 Wayfarer's Bauble
1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
1 Wood Elves

>mfw i have lignify, dong of the dryads and darksteel mutation in my hatebears deck
Nice commander bro, i hope your deck works without it

I suggest you use tappedout cos tl:dr

you use both

Nope, sorry, cascade casts from exile.