WIP / Painting General

I don't normally make the new threads but we needed one edition.

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos! (embed)

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models (embed)

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex (embed)
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
thefallenprinces.blogspot.com/2012/03/badab-workshop-carcharodons.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Youtube links that I fucked up:

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo

More work on the Bolter. Most gaps are filled. Just need to let it dry, spray it down, and refill screwed up places.

Picked up my first box of Vanguard Vets, about to assemble them, but I can't decide on the gear to give them. Yes, I'll buy another box, but if I have to use the 5 man squad before I can make it a 10 man squad, what should I do?

Not going to go back and fix the fore grip?

Y-your nob is s-so big!~~
And it looks good but maybe a bit too focused on the upper body. I'd flesh out the legs a bit, maybe try to make him just a slight bit taller if you're courageous enough.

"Who goes there?"

Frostgrave soldier. First attempt at OSL. I think I went too subtle - more extreme next time.

Damn things a bitch. I tried 3 times, but with tools I have it's just not getting noticeably better.

Can you post a shot against a white background?

I actually really like it. That's the perfect amount of lighting in my opinion. Most people go too overboard with their airbrushes and make something that looks unnatural, but yours is just the right amount of subtlety

Sure thing. I actually took one first, but it didn't look as cool.

awesome lighting effect, nicely done

Nice. What did you make the main body and Aquila out of? Cardboard? Or foam?

Recommendations on what colors to pick up for doing leather pouches and belts?

Light brown as in the frostgrave mini posted just above is the classic leather people tend to go with.

Any shade of brown works though depending on the rest of your colour scheme.

It's subtle and nice. It's atmospheric, but it should be just a touch stronger.

Layers of cardboard for weight, then covered in EVA foam because I wanted to learn to use it. If I ever make another I'd go back to just cardboard. The colored parts are craft foam

Ah I should have specified but I was looking for specific colors. Mainly just for base and highlight. I have a pretty varied collection of paints but nothing I have seems to work together well for leather.

I really enjoy the citadel scorched earth but have nothing that works as a highlight.

Hi /wip/, didn't get to paint the big guy today, but reposed the Contemptor from the Calth box. Added a few chains too to make it a bit more gladiatorial. Finished some volkite marines too.

Feedback always appreciated.

Shit lighting on the Volkite boys which is a shame because they look to be great
Also, when it comes to blood, alot of the time less is more
And furthermore i like that you don't saturate every milimeter with battle damage because it's getting a little FUCKING old by now, you could use this to your advantage as an artist by having one champion look more wartorn and experienced by giving him battle damage

Contemptors pose is a little stale

Thanks for the reply. It's getting dark where I live unfortunately, so difficult to take a decent pic.
I can't fucking stand models that are over-weathered, so I don't really do much on that front. The big guy from the other day is probably going to be covered in scars/gore etc. however.
Do you mean the blood on the bases is too much?

I'm not good enough with my tools to have changed much about the dread, but I had to do something. Blame it on GW for making such a static, pigeon-toed model.

What should I add to my custom demolisher turret?

I was thinking I would add 1or2 top hatches, a door on the backside, a spotlight, maybe a storm bolter, a ladder on one side, and an antenna on a side.

Is this too much or is there anything you would add?

Also I am going to make a plate to cover the gaps in the front plate around the gun

Finished some kobolds for Super Dungeon Explore.

Bah, forgot to add image.

And whole family together.

If you've got Vallejo Game Colour paints I can help, no idea with the current Citadel ones though I'm afraid.

those little wizard guys, are pretty nice. can we get a close up of those

Does anyone know a good guide for painting carcharodons?

I gave them some extra attention (bright cape, tried to do OSL) since there's only two of them in box, rest was just 3 colours, wash and highlight.

>carcharodons
you people rely way too much on guides. It's really just procrastination. Wake up.

They are fucking GREY. You don't need a fucking guide to paint GREY.

I feel it is way too tall and long at the top back

Smooth af. 9/10. Post more. Those frostgrave soldiers are so full of character

You need to pull a stick out your arse.

There are different kinds of greys, and for those who like to do more than just put a base coat down, you need several different colors to get the combined result of a completed paintjob.

Just tried out that new Fulgrite Copper. i've got to give them props, it's a gorgeous colour.

That's what I'm looking for. At the moment I'm having to rely on Tyburos the Red Wake's colour scheme but I'd rather have a solid paint scheme to work with, then I can fiddle about with it.

Then you already know what you're fucking doing, then don't you.

So you are... say it with me... PROCRASTINATING

Don't tell people to calm down on the internet. Just makes you look like a projecting tool, cuz I am not freaking out at home here. I am just calmly typing words on a keyboard while listening to Zen music. It is you putting emotion into my dry words. That emotion comes from you. Only you decide the mood you are in. It is impossible for me to do anything none physical to you that you don't want to occur.

So stop being a fucking manbaby and crying about words and paint some fucking grey on your models you over sensitive twat. No one is here to coddle you. Suck it up, or suck a dick.

not him but you should take your own advice m8, you don't type all that shit you did out without being mad

Nigga what are you doing?

You know that's not the same guy right?

sure I did. Swear words don't = mad. They are just words.
YOU don't tell me how I feel. You are hardly capable of grasping how you yourself feel.

Fair enough, I was going for a kv2 looking turret, I could try and shorten it.

I said to remove the stick, not to put it in deeper.

user does not know what the grays he needs are. That's the point of painting guides, so you can have a consistent paintjob within your army instead of having a hodgepodge of paintjobs.

thefallenprinces.blogspot.com/2012/03/badab-workshop-carcharodons.html

Long winded STFU you fucking procrastinating faggot. Go cry elsewhere

Who fucking cares internet ID fairy. Holy fuck, eat a dick too. I'll continue this all day if you faggots want to oblige. At that point it is only you that is to blame for feeding the trolls.

Feed me shit heads, continue to contribute to not contributing and take that bait hook line and sinker because you are helpless slaves to your ego.

"Oh, but I HAVE to reply to him! I can't let him get away with this!"

You have failed, then.

Let us watch all the failures that reply to this.

Mmmmm eat that bait up. You are a slave to your emotions.

Keep posting desu m8 it's really funny

Oh, you gonna cry now? Oh no, I can't paint GREY.

>thefallenprinces.blogspot.com/2012/03/badab-workshop-carcharodons.html

Step one. Paint Grey
Step two. Done you fucking moron. You needed a guide for this?

Ah cheers man, this looks great. I'm thinking of adding a slight shade of Teclis blue across the armour to add to the shark aesthetic.

woah that's deep

For you, maybe.
The reality is that your are being a twat with that reply and that it is much deeper than you even allow yourself to muse.
Many people go "that is stupid" when it is they that are "stupid" not the "that." They just were too stupid to understand "that" so they call it stupid instead of admitting their own ignorance.

Like a joke that you don't get, you might say "that isn't funny," but it really was... you just didn't GET it so lashed out by insulting it first.

The reality is that you were the stupid one all along and everyone else noticed it long ago on the outside looking in.

nah they are a lot of words about something that matters very little, it's obvious you're pretty mad

Just stop.
Nobody cares.

Are you the Star Phantoms guy?

>The reality is that you were the stupid one all along and everyone else noticed it long ago on the outside looking in.

I fucking love irony

You must be mad because I say so. Stop being so mad and replying constantly. You can't help yourself. You are a slave to your keyboard. You must be mad or you wouldn't be replying over and over to something that matters very little.

You clearly do or you wouldn't perpetuate it.
I already said ignore me, but you keep feeding. You are directly to blame. All you have to do is not reply, but you are too stupid to realize this, even after being SPECIFICALLY told as such. Now that is stupidity.

drill your muzzle break

so mad

Just like Alannis Morrisette? So, like, not really?

Hook line and sinker.

Continue to ruin this thread if you like by replying. I have nothing to do today and am sick. I'll shit post this thread all day if you choose to EAT THAT FUCKING BAIT At least we know this guy is out of the game with his one tired joke. Thank god we got Autism Guy out of the way this early.

>doesn't understand the irony of morrisette getting every instance of irony wrong in a song about irony

sasuga, shitposter-san

All this because some idiot couldn't paint Grey.

>Doesn't understand THAT THAT WAS EXACTLY my point.

See above comment about calling things stupid when it is actually you that is the stupid one.

I like how he thinks every person that replies to him is the user asking for the paint scheme, that would be me by the way. Apologies for the shitshow this has caused and thank you guys for the scheme.

puppetmaster gambit is so overplayed

I like that you think I care at all about who is on the other end.
I like that you obsess over who is actually who and care. I don't care who you are. I reply to the comment, no the person BECAUSE EVERYONE IS user here idiot.
The stupidity is astounding here today.

And yet you morons keep replying /shrug

Fish meet bait.
You morons keep taking it, so overplayed or not, it's still happening. Predictable is predictable.

I'm having fun, so keep it up if you like anons. You simply CANNOT not reply. Its so sad but amusing.

But I want you to keep posting lad, it's great.

literally you, madboi

So... While you guys are arguing about whateverthefuck you're arguing about, I'm just gonna sneak in a progress pic on my plaguebearers.

Can't wait to get home and finish Ol' Flyhead.

Every 1 of 2 wip threads there is some shitstorm about some unimportant thing.
Anyway, wip of my gabriel seth for my imperial fist army. Need to finish the head and do some weathering. Didnt do anything on the flesh tearers symbols because my green stuff skills suck.

And the back. Would you mind if an oponent fields this man as a captain of the imperial fist army?

Another shot, this time a wider shot of the unit. You can see the progress I made in choosing a color scheme, with my original idea being to do use actual fleshtones, then I decided to try a more plain, traditional Nurgle paint scheme mostly because it was zero effort but it looked too generic so I cut that experiment short and decided to try a black and white scheme. The black and white was nearly what I wanted, but I liked the pale-white flesh look the most, so I decided to go all out on bright colors.

You can also see my experiments with basing, and an unfinished Nurgle objective marker.

I like the pale flesh and the pink a lot, not sure about the green though. They look a bit like decorative lights.

Alright guys, I have the proper amount of primer now, and I'm taking extra patience with these paint layers. It's going to not be shit this time. For reals. Maybe

Gotta ask for advice on how to paint a face though

Gave up painting all 20 in one go since the layers were taking forever

Went full-blown OCD and scraped two skulls of tactical helmets and put them on helmets that had laurels.

>user, why don't you have a finished army?
Because I'm an undiagnosed autist.

>It didn't even come out right.
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I find when I'm assembly line painting I get slower and slower as I get to the last couple of models in each cycle.

Right now I'm replying to this when I should be painting.

thanks for helping to clean up some of the shit in /wip/

They almost look like they are glowing. Like it.

I like getting boxes that contain kickstarter shit, but Mercs: recon has single-handedly increased my backlog to 200+ models. Gonna take years to work through all of these.

This one time I managed to painted 50 minis in a month.
Never painted that much before or after again.
The thing is you have to make it a habit and do it every day for an hour or two.

You really, really should have replaced the flesh tearers icons

I really like the variety you've got going. It looks far better to have them complimenting each other with harmonious colors than to have them all the same

Thanks for the reply...?

Well the bases generally seem to lack a thought. If it's covered in blood and wet mud and razorwire and this and that it looks to be intense and menacing, if it's clean it looks to be cold and mysterious, but when it's just kind of a base with some detail smacked on it it looks a bit directionless.
When i make my bases, i first think of what poses the models are gonna be in and consider the direction of their attention and such if adding bits to the base, but generally i also have an idea of the scene they're on (lads investigating an ice planet that suddently went /cold/) and therefore what would seem applicable and realistic to that scene (frozen-pale man with some blood on him covered in snow for example)

And i lament the plastic Contemptors molded pose, but you have the ability to turn it into something greater. Slap some chains or banners on his torso in a side-wind, leaning to the left, to show motion in the Contemptor as if he was turning quickly and the details are still turning according to the momentum.

May i ask you the tecipe for that offwhite skin?

>recipe

Atleast you're in good company.

It's easy. Nurgling green base, I actually used Army Painter's "Necrotic Flesh" colored primer but it's basically the same if a little more pale, then drybrush Pallid Wych Flesh or Uluthan Grey, depending on how bright you want the color, wash brown or black, drybrush again.

Thank you i love it.

You are better off trying to sculpt the skulls out of green stuff, trying to graft on the little details like that tends to destroy them.

Next time just make a press mold for replicating the skulls in greenstuff.

Tried to sculpt them with greenstuff. They're a little large and Orky but it's an improvement.

I know you are trolling, but that doesn't change the fact that I want to cause you pain.

Watch Duncan

His short imperial guard videos give you two quick, 3-stage (plus wash) methods, basically the fast one uses agrax (brown) over the entire figure including skin to finish rank and file faster, alternative is reikland fleshshade for skin other washes for other areas

Not a huge difference, the fleshshade maybe looks marginally better

Does he have a video for eyes? Because I am really struggling with putting little pin pricks of black where I want eyes, to the point of considering just using an ultra fine tip sharpie

Wew lad

Saint Duncan says to never do eyes. Too small and unnecessary at that level of detail.

>I'll continue this all day if you faggots want to oblige
Please do, your autistic rage is amusing

I agree, maybe a purple/fleshshade wash around the pustules to make them look "sore" would also make the transition from pasty flesh to bright green less stark and clean. Could also try putting a little of the puss effect stuff you used on the bases onto the pustules as well to dull them a bit

I usually just make a call on a figure by figure basis whether to try doing eyes or just put a bit of agrax in them. If it's a rank and file figure and/or his eyes are fairly squinty (cadians and most spess muhreenz fit in this category), I just do agrax. If it's a character or eyes are wide/rounded so it wouldn't look as good just washed, then the best way is paint the whole thing black or very dark Grey or brown, and put two dots of white or off white in either corner — if you're good enough to pull it off, if not I'd say just leave the eyes shaded even on characters unless they look big enough to be easy

Painting an eye white and then painting the pupil on is guaranteed googly eyes, which are worse than not doing the eyes at all