Warhammer 40k General

Astounding Astartes Abound Edition

>Rules databases
mega.co.nz/#F!pFgm0RKR!J06C1gVYcjzNGsF8YNLsjQ
kat.cr/warhammer-40k-pdf-library-t9575373.html

>FAQs
games-workshop.com/en-GB/Rules-Errata

>40k 7th edition quick reference sheet(s)
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4104995/Games/7edRef_V7.pdf

>Forgeworld Book index
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Forge_World_and_Apocalypse_Rules_Index

>White Dwarves
mediafire.com/folder/tx4hcy4u487pv/WD

>Novels (Working link as of 02/02/2016)
mega.nz/#F!wx4BiKhD!YhnAf1BqSmAB8dO6xDM56Q

Other urls found in this thread:

games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=102352 4294965081&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440130a-flat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first for Fists

Second for the boxserker.

I need some help with a weird army building setup we are trying out soon.

We are making a 5v5 army game where each player has 1000 points, but only 1 battlefield role.

1 has all HQs
1 has all Troops
1 has all Elites
1 has all Heavy Support
1 has all Fast attack

We all count as Super Friends regardless of the army.

I have been placed on the "good" side with my Tau like this:
HQ: Space Marine
Troop: Skitaari
Fast Attack: Dark Angels
Elites: Imperial Guard
Heavy Support: Tau (me)

Not sure how these armies work, but my HS options are fairly limited in terms of options. We were given the roles based on a drawing (no one got to choose). I know we were allowed to use markerlights cross faction (so anyone on my side can use them) which makes skyrays an option that also has decent anti-air.

Another option would be ALL the broadsides with a million S7 AP4 missiles.

I am not sure what the opponents are, but I know the factions are:
Eldar
Demons
Orks
Necrons
Space Marines (he refused to be "good" since he plays it as a Renegade chapter, but with standard Marine rules)

Any suggestions? I often have so few heavy support cchoices in my armies, and I have no idea what these players even CAN bring in their respective slots, so I am not quite sure what would be best to bring in.

All the Broadsides. Maybe a pair of Hammerheads. Is Skyray heavy support? They are good too.

Could a bastiladon be easily converted into a Gargantuan Squiggoth?

/v/ here.

Can you guys explain the meaning behind this scene?

The only reason i am reluctant to use Hammerheads is because I don't want to bring more of the same stuff the IG player will likey bring. It would feel fluffy having a Longstrike Detachment kind of thing, with nothing but hammerheads lead by Longstrike.
>Is Skyray heavy support?
Yes, and the option for sharing markerlights seems like a very powerful combination on some of these armies i am allied with. The option of using them as S8 Ap3 ignores cover and LoS missiles with my choice between skyfire or not... Seems pretty solid, if not a tad limited in use

Is this a good deal

I would not go all the S7 Broadsides. Chances are you will need something more powerful.
So pu 1-2 Railgun Hammerheads in there. Since there are many possible horde armies, do not forget submunitions to have pieplates.

Also Elite Imperial Guard. Urgh. That is ....bad

>playing CSM

son, the pain and anguish you'd suffer from trying to play them means that set isn't worth it if it was $1

It's CSM. So no.

But money-wise, every Start Collecting box is a good deal, except the Space Marine one. Not sure about the CSM one though.

isn't that what chaos is all about
pain and suffering

>Also Elite Imperial Guard. Urgh. That is ....bad

beep beep mothafucka

Anyone got the new miltemp formation yet?

GW has literally opened a WAACfag section.

games-workshop.com/en-US/Warhammer-40-000?N=102352 4294965081&Nu=product.repositoryId&qty=12&sorting=rec&view=table&categoryId=cat440130a-flat

From the land raider spearhead:

>You’re going to infuriate your opponent – but you’re going to win, and that’s what counts, right?

IG guy should load up on Field Artillery. A gazillion quad mortars will make the opposing team cry

I like the goatee on that commissar. I like it a lot.

This. I need to know it.

They are alright. Obviously very psychic heavy and usually are forced to bring two babycarrier Dreadknights to support their very expensive terminator armoured units.

Great against Daemons and probably just below IG for the middle of army ratings.

From what I understand their Nemesis Strike Formation or whatever is a fairly decent alphastrike.

As far as CSM go, yes
Ruleswise CSM are bottom.
Unfortunatly the stuff in there is bottom bottom.

Helbrute is only viable using the helcult formations in the dataslate from the GW website. Model is supernice and has ALL the options, unlike SM.

CSM are meh, unless you make the error of giving them a heavy weapon, then they are worse.
CSM termi lord is shit-tier as he is too slow to do anything without a land-raider. BUT the kit allows you to make a CSM sorceror in Termi-Armor instead. Far better then the Lord.

So use the CSM kit to make 2 small squads, one with plasmagun and bolters (Maybe get a combiplasma somewhere or build one using the plasmapistol and a bolter)

the other with melta or flamer and a melee champ (Power fist maybe). Keep them cheap!
Both, but especially the latter want a rhino.

So together with Dark vengeance, you can build yourself a small army, sorting out the useless garbage:

HQ
Termi-Sorceror with Burning Brand (use the CSM-flamer) and Force-Axe

Elite
Helbrute with MM and P-Fist (the DV one)

Troops
6 CSM bolters
plasmagun
(DV Chosen with bolter as champ)

6 CSM Boltpistol +CloseCombatWeapon
meltagun (this one gets a bolter and BP+CCW, to exchange the bolter for a melta and still have the second attack in melee)
Champ with powerfist (again DV)

Helcult
Helbrute TL-Lascannon/ Missile Launcher
Both Cultist squads.
Not the best but some suprisingly durable long range fire support, as you can look out sir for the helbrute with a cultist. And the cultists are fearless.

Nowhere near big enough for the Garg, but could work as the small monstrous creature version

i have seen it done before

so do you guys play for fun or to win?

Is Jokaero army still viable?

I would laugh at an opponent who took three Land Raiders and kick his ass.

Like, doesn't even matter which of my armies I'm playing, the higher tier ones or the shit ones.

Not too many builds I have would have an easy time tabling triple raider, but sure as shit I'd clean clock and have two empty boxes sitting around at the end of the game.

>Also Elite Imperial Guard
I still have no fucking idea what anyone can bring in these roles.

The Marine player will be bringing Iron Hands characters with a lot of psykers, and he is looking for bunkers, something a Broadside team could give him. 2+ save models with 2 wounds can tank hits pretty reliably.

Skitaari has mostly troops, from what I understand, and they seem pretty powerful, albeit "slow" in the sense that they have no vehicles.

The Dark Angels player uses a ton of bikes normally, and I would assume Fast Attack includes bikes (that sounds most logical, anyway)

No idea what IG can bring in Elites.

What does your hobby store never have in stock? I just went to pick up a pot of leadbelcher and it was the only thing out of stock..and then I realized: leadbelcher is the paint that binds all armies together. every paint scheme needs a little leadbelching.

When you have played CSM for long enough, when you literally endure the long war against receiving shit codxes and fighting top-tier armies IRL your heart begins to harden.

GW can do nothing to me now, i have transcended mere anguish

That said, the new start collecting formation mite b cool

>IG elites

Abhumans, weak psykers and Scions.

And not even the cool, busty type of abhuman.

So I'm looking at picking up a malcador and storm sword for my low slots and apocalypse games. Anyone have any experience with either of the two?

Forgeworld gives IG Field Artillery in the elites slot

Fun. I'm fine with losing, as long as it isn't a total curpstomp

Depends on the opponent. If I want a WAACier game then it is decided before hand otherwise most pick up games at my shop use TAC lists or are fluffy.

Not him, but what is the formation rules for the new set?

Just started playing again after about 12 years or so. I sold all my smurfs ages ago, so I'm starting fresh.

Decided I'm going with Blood Angels, and I've got pic related so far, as well as Commander Dante. Spent all day today putting em together read for painting.

Any recommendations on what else to get? Money is going to be little object as I'm getting my yearly bonus at the end of the month.

A second troop choice. Download the codex and see what strikes your fancy.

My suggestion would be some death company. Worry about further expansion once you get some stuff painted.

Bombers really need a rule for their defensive turrets to have skyfire & split fire. That's the entire reason they have the things, after all.

Yeah was going to pick up some death company, I assembled the Dreadnought in the battleforce as a death company dread. Oh, I forgot to mention I got Lemartes as well, and he's all painted.

scouts are fun. A real HQ as Dante is too many pts. Usually a librarian or chaplain.
Transports. especially a DropPod for the dread
Do not buy too much at the same time, having 30+ unpainted models is pure anguish.

Good on you, lemartes is a badass. I'm not sure how efficient the Baal predator is, but that would be the first vehicle I'd buy for bangles.

Gotta get that dakka.

Damn I just hate Helbrutes. Because of them I have to consult FW to field a fucking Dreadnought

>Because of them I have to consult FW to field a fucking Dreadnought

>implying you're not already using glorious Sonic Dreadnought to pulverize the enemies of the Dark Prince in stylish and garish tribute

A fun game is a game where both you AND your opponent have a realistic chance of either winning or losing.

I'm considering using the same model as a base for a skull cannon, it's on the same base and isn't much larger than the blood throne chariot

>tfw sergeant has more bling than captain

some might be fore even more ground pounding. At least I assume the hull mounted ones are for that.

The pintle, turret, whatever swivel ones probably.

Though, split fire doesn't actually work for vehicles. I get the intent, but it would have to be it's own rule. And if you are making that rule, it should probably be put on the defensive pintle mounts on other vehicles.

If the IG guy can only roll Elites, I doubt he'd be bringing anything heavier than a Taurox Prime (can't remember what we get in that slot from FW - gun batteries?) or Chimera, and neither of those are going to do more than support a proper tank.

The way I'd think of having it is a weapon rule Defensive Mount. It would be phrased liked defensive turret mounted, etc. with all pintle mounts being defensive outmatically, unless there is an example where that would be bad.

Defensive Mounts: Defensive mounts can be fired at a different target from the rest of the vehicles weapons. All defensive mounts must target the same unit if able. Vehicles can fire overwatch with defensive mounted weapons, so long as the charging unit is within the weapons firing arc.
Defensive mounts cannot be fired if the vehicles is suffering from crew shaken or stunned.

>can't remember what we get in that slot from FW - gun batteries
iirc they get the rapier batteries from 30k, or at least something like that.
Not a heavy tank, but a lot of gun, in various forms.

But encourage him to bring ogryn, lots of ogryn.

> But encourage him to bring ogryn, lots of ogryn.
Fuck Ogryn.
1000pts is exaclty 100 ratlings.

if you fail the "one eye open" save, both of your units freeze? or just one of them?

only the one that failed. But both have to be tested.

now I want ratlings riding Ogryn.

ogryn are the greatest, though

Bullgryn. All day erry day. Give coversave to others or can have a 5++ and power maul. Yes power maul. On an Ogyrn. Ouchie

I prefer the t-shirt ogryn with the dopey faces. Less good on the table, but more charming.

So it would make sense to bring a ton of Hammerheads?

Might just do that then.

Could someone post a picture of a Razorbacks Twin Linked Las Cannons?

I like the gas masks.

My dream is to field 4 Storm Trooper squads in one game, one from each permutation but all painted in the same colors and the same style, at the same level of quality. Mechanics and gameplay wise, how viable would you say this is? It wouldn't be for tournament play

Have you ascended yet sempai

If you got 4 Taurox Primes and a Commissar, you could run one of their formations from their minidex.

>Sonic Dreads
>The model that's probably going to lose rules in the next IA 13, to match losing the model

Excellent. Do you know of any way to do it legally without them being fully mechanized?

stormtroopers are expensive special weapon caddies, and struggle against anything that isn't infantry

if their orders weren't capped to the same 12" range the IG has, and if they could put out more than two orders a turn in your average CAD they might be better.

I really wish they'd give the commissars voice of command. And add in sentinels.

If you change the new plastic kit to a command squad, it is okayish. Keep the squads small and give them meltaguns or plasmaguns for increased oompf. Not too strong, though.

Dont know anythin about Militarum Tempestus

I would keep their colors different from the main army, to make them look like a unified detachment.

According to battlescribe they get no big boom from FW in the elite slots either.

Salamander Command; Hades Breaching drill and Atlas recovery tank.
The field arty and rapier are in heavy

It's CSM so probably some minor asspat of a bonus while a character is in a challenge or some garbage like letting the Chaos Lord re-roll Spawndom boon results.

>legally
take a command squad or commissar? They have their own codex, you know.

That's ok, I don't mind if they aren't super viable, although I'd definitely appreciate any advice about supporting units to deal with vehicles, infantry, heroes etc

Normal Stormtroper detachment from Astra Militarum can have 3 normal squads and one command squad.
So a single CAD allows for 12 squads.

>tfw 4 Scions Start Collecting boxes lets you run an army of them.

Minidexes are cool and all, but they need more than literally 4 units to be a thing, in my opinion.

Admech need to be combined.

>If you change the new plastic kit to a command squad
>take a command squad or commissar?
>Normal Stormtroper detachment from Astra Militarum can have 3 normal squads and one command squad
Sweet, thanks for clearing that up, that's probably how I'll do it

excuse me, they have five units

how do scions do in Heralds of ruin?

>tfw 4 Scions Start Collecting boxes lets you run an army of them.
Oh man, I hadn't heard about that. I'm totally getting one

What is the smallest 1,000 point army possible?

What is the smallest army possible?

Scions/Scions Command are the same sprue, Valkryies, Tauroxes, and Commissars.

That's 4 sprues, technically 5 units.

knights

and no, it wouldn't be very fun to run

Probably the tetrad
Super unoptimized at that level but it's a full detachment of 4 models

Eh, was wondering.

Smallest army that ISN'T knights?

Remembered that I had an R'Varna lying around, so I shoved it into my list. How does this look?

1000 Point Heavy Support
TX7 Hammerhead Gunships
Longstrike, Railgun with Submunitions, Sensor Spines, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships
Railgun with Submunitions, Sensor Spines, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships

TX7 Hammerhead Gunships
Railgun with Submunitions, Twin-linked Smart Missile System

XV107 R'varna Battlesuit [FW]
MV84 Shielded Missile Drone

None of us has any issues with forgeworld, so that's not a problem, and it gives us a very solid backline, doesn't it?

4 flyrants

Does anyone have the pics of those bloodwarrior to berserker conversions that one user made
Also has anyone tried combining GW plastic with their fineshit, I have a few conversion ideas for my daemonkin but most of the fantasy HQs are resin

I use Scions for HoR. I win more than half the time, but its a casual group.
Heres my list:

Tempestor Prime
Medic
Guardsmen Squad with a meltagun
Sentinel w/heavy flamer
6 Scions w/HS lasguns
2 HS volley guns
2 melta or plasma
One Scion carries a medkit.

Two 6" FnP bubbles; Tallarn tactics so the Guardsmen Scouts along with the Sentinel. Sometimes I run 4 HS volley guns as my specials.

>Also has anyone tried combining GW plastic with their fineshit, I have a few conversion ideas for my daemonkin but most of the fantasy HQs are resin

Yes, I have several finecast upgrade packs. Use superglue and wash the finecast with warm water carefully before fiddling stuff tpgether. Carefull with cutting, finecast is rather delicate.

Strange question, as most finecast models are glued onto plastic bases

Is a looting a corpse for ammo against the Imperial Guard?

We forgot to get ammo, would I be killed

>Strange question, as most finecast models are glued onto plastic bases
I hadn't even thought about that, are the bases the same typer of plastic
I don't know how I've managed to not own a single resin model

Anyone have a pic of the Khorne berserkers that user left at a store and had cocks sculpted on them when he got them back?

has anyone updated the start collecting savings percentage spreadsheet for the new bundles?

Looks like it packs the hurt

would consider not using longstrike and spend the points elsewhere.

All Finecast models I have use the same bases the plastic ones do.
I think its a cheaper plastic then the one used for models, as the grade of detail is less important.
The only warning I can give is thin lements, like the staff from the necron overlord break very easy. To 'repair' I recommend pinning, meaning drill a small hole in both sides and put a part of a paper clip inside for stability.

God damn the Eldar guns are pea shooters in Eternal Crusade.

>Eternal Crusade

Why would you do that to yourself?

I don't know Tau well enough to say if it would make sense, my point was that he wouldn't be bringing anything that'd step on your toes if you did.

Longstrike was mostly because it felt fluffy - I can't take a HQ choice, so having Longstrike would give me an actual Tau leader.

Not sure where else to spend the point anyway, to be honest. Maybe remove a bit to get a Skyray or 2?

Seems kind of sad to see an IG player without any real tank options :/

What's wrong with it? I bought the cheapest pack to get access.

The Scions box says 5 of them are to be made as a Command Squad.

Does that mean I won't get a full 10 man Scion squad out of it and will have to buy a separate Scion box, or is the Command shit optional?