World Eater Thread?

I love the World Eaters at the point during the heresy when they are getting closer to being completely fucked but still maintain some brotherhood
Angron is becoming more and more insane and the men are regularly losing themselves to the nails. Some individuals like Kharn and the librarians are looking on in horror as they realise what is happening to the legion.
I feel like when ascends they become fairly 1 dimensional killers without much personality and before the heresy they are a bit soft. Am i the only one?
I want my World Eaters to be frozen in time almost but still progress through time. So what is the best way to explain this in lore?
>Survivors of the drop site massacre?
>Small group lost in warp?
>Librarian with a few hundred runs from the legion when they realise shits fucked?
>Some forgotten company off exploring
>OTHER???
Basically i want to explain in the lore how a small group of 50-300 marines managed to avoid turning fully to chaos as world eaters. help plox?
Or am i retarded and just want to have my cake and eat it?

Any other World Eater related stuff is fine too like models, stories, trivia, opinions etc y'know

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s0OMMRht526V
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't exactly follow what you intend to do. First of all, are these guys supposed to be Loyalists, Traitors, or simple renegades?

If they're cut off from the rest of the Legion and particularly if they haven't campaigned with the Word Bearers, then it's definitely possible that they maintain a semblance of brotherhood and don't fall deeper into Chaos (otherwise they wouldn't survive very long alone).

The best course of action I can see would be to fluff them out as renegades or Blackshields (if you want to change the heraldry). Have them slip anchor and desert after the Dropsite Massacre, having seen first hand how fast their Legion and the Traitors are disintegrating.

Since they can't exactly run to the Imperium without falling under serious suspicion, they turn to piracy and raiding, perhaps even eventually carving out a chunk of the void for themselves as a base of operations.

Either paint them as War Hounds, to signify they've cast off the World Eaters shackles on them, etc. or something like having them be led by a Librarian or somesuch. Blackshields, Loyalists, either could work.

I think they would be anti-emperor as they want to be 'free' but not give up that freedom by serving chaos. So yeah some bros hanging out being pirates and shit would work
I'm not massively sure on what i want them to do so sorry for not explaining it well
I'm open to ideas
They could be trying to just pretend nothing changed (or be unaware of it) and keep heraldry etc
They could be trying to prove that their primarch was justified and keep up traditions like hatred of psykers and the nails
They could be trying to distance themselves from the heresy and abandon the nails and return to brotherhood and War hound traditions
I'm not sure which narrative i prefer
Which do y'all think is most relalistic or cool or whatever?

Like lets say you see the word bearers slowly corrupting your legion and your primarch going mad so you run away with a few squads under your command
Where do you go?
Do you keep traditions like nails and fighting pits?
Do you return to imperium?
Would you inevitably accept chaos gods at some point?
How do you keep supply of weapons, ammo etc?

I want to try and keep it in keeping with what humans would do in that situation and not make them stupidly mary sueish or cartoony

The nails I think are right out, considering how significant their influence was in turning the Legion to Chaos, not to mention the more practical problems of trying to play it smart and quiet with a bunch of frothing madmen. Hatred of psykers could stay, and even be reinforced by seeing sorcery first hand.

No problem with fighting pits, loads of Loyalist legions had them and continued to use them.

Returning to the Imperium would be troublesome if they turned to piracy initially. They could justify it if they targeted Traitors exclusively, but they'd be fugitives forever if they targeted both sides.

Chaos is far from inevitable, just look at the Night Lords who despite being 'Chaos Space Marines' loathe Chaos itself.

Weapons and ammo is both a fluff and crunch problem. If this warband left in large numbers and operated in a relatively built-up section of space, they could roughly maintain Legion standards (and thus play with World Eater rules).

On the other hand, if you really want to push the pirate scavenger theme, it'd be worth checking out the Blackshield rules, especially the Death Seekers and Outlander rules.

Would the imperium take them back? Sure at the end of the heresy it was desperate to get as many space marines as possible and would ignore the origin as long as they had some checks from the inquisition. But if a hundred or so marines with butcher's nails rock up and promise they are loyal then how far are they gonna get?

The Flesh Tearers somehow managed to survive for 10,000 years, so they'd probably take them back.

Like I mentioned though, if it ever came to light that they'd attacked Loyalists, any chance of redemption goes right out. It also wouldn't do them any favours to openly advertise that they're from a Traitor Legion, so expect 'Unknown Primarch' schtick ala the Red Scorpions, Blood Ravens, and Minotaurs.

>Unknown primarch
>Strange implants into skull among veterans
>Distrust of psykers
>Large armories of Chainaxes and Chains
>Blue and white colour scheme
>Iconography burned off in freak accident for every marine

Nobody will suspect a thing
oh well, nothing a bit of paint wont fix

>Basically i want to explain in the lore how a small group of 50-300 marines managed to avoid turning fully to chaos as world eaters. help plox?
Have at it. They even have pic related as a character, if you feel you need FW's sanction to do so (which you don't).
Or if you find that "We can't fight because there isn't a book about us fighting" user.

Yeah that is really helpful actually
I have never heard of this guy so i will go check him out
Thanks bro

If the Red Scorpions and Blood Ravens somehow managed to stay in the closet, literally anyone can.

That rather depends what similarities you share with your primarch
If you have something unique and easily identifiable like cables coming out your head it is easy to identify
If you have something relatively common like a desire for knowledge or a colour scheme then its harder to prove

Unless they work out how to remove the butcher's nails they are gonna have to find a way around diplomacy

W-we don't know if they're actually EC and 1KS!

You could have done this easily by saying they're War Hounds that survived their way into the future, except FW had to ruin it by saying the WE Black Shield HQ is the last of the original War Hounds.

vocaroo.com/i/s0OMMRht526V

Kharn is a pretty cool dude.

Are there any hints that the Red Scorpions are an EC successor?

It's easier if you're okay with them being traitors - still chaos marines, but not insane and possibly holding on to their original colors. Maybe they broke off from the rest of the legion before the Siege of Terra and stayed in realspace beyond Imperial borders.

Actually, that's easier if you make them part of the Shadow Crusade that attacked Ultramar. It's one of the few places where you can get out beyond the Imperium's reach without going into the Warp. They were sent with a larger number of Word Bearers - perhaps your dudes got freaked out by the rituals they WB were doing and said, screw this, we're taking off for parts unknown to go fight Orks, Eldar, Hrud, etc. And they stayed close enough to the edge of the Astronomicon's reach to raid planets for recruits.

Or saying they got timed warped.

Like that one greentext story about the two lost legions suddenly arriving at 40k Solar System screaming about Horus going rogue and entrenching.

Haar is the only one of the original batch of War Hounds. There's a War Hound still alive in 40k.

Just the fact that they're SO PURE NONE PURER, refuse to work with anyone who isn't SUPER PURE, AND PERFECT, and they seek perfection in purity, and they also provide super dodgy geneseed tithes and refuse to allow themselves to be examined.

I can see why people would say EC but I don't think it's necessarily that. The Minotaurs = IW thing was from complete fucking left field and I feel like that might even have been a fake photoshop or the guy just completely started making up shit despite being the official guy behind the chapter.

I loved him in Betrayer, hell that book was just a fun read in general.

Betrayer is one of my favorite HH books, it's a really good read.

The most metal and grimdark backstory
>be World Eaters who got separated and are currently operating on their own
>news reaches them of the betrayal
>decide to return and kill Angron for destroying the World Eaters
>raid traitor worlds to ressuply, altough you can never be too sure how loyal a planet is...
>pick up other loyalists along the way
>finally reach Angrons fleet
>launch all the boarding torpedoes
>Horus has them all intercepted, so they all die before even landing

>So what is the best way to explain this in lore?
Trapped in the warp during a travel in the crusade.

>Backstory
how is it backstory if they all die?

Yeah seems like they would be off on the fringe somewhere raiding ships and attacking undefended worlds

What would be the long term goal however? Are they trying to assemble gene seed or steal new armour or relics of the emperor so they can reunite with the imperium and not seem suspicious.
Maybe they disagree with the imperium but also with chaos so have started their own little empire in buttfuck nowhere so they can feel good about themselves
Or are they just happy to be free so they can run round being pirates and having a great time without much thought put into it

Their backstory is that they want to either kill or convince Angron that siding with Horus is a mistake.
Them all dying happens sometime just before the Siege of Terra and I added it only for extra grimdark.