Quick! You have 10 seconds to write an interesting...

Quick! You have 10 seconds to write an interesting, original adventure hook that takes place in a generic fantasy setting.

Hard mode: The realm has no gods/deities

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/47630524/#47652080
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Gnoll highwaymen are attacking the caravan, you guys are the Northern Scouts and have to investigate.

The old regime that fled into exile has discovered dragons a d how to tame them. Now they are building an army of foteigb, barbaric people's to invade the kingdom and reclaim their lost throne.

Gardener is the BBEG.

So the BBEG is Sargon of Akkad?

A bunch of murderhobos just ransacked your home for your grandfather's pendant while you were away. You set off to get it back.

Local ruler who recently came into power wants you to clean out an old castle for their use. Monsters optional.

The elves that attacked you in the forest are lumberjacks, tired of your protest.

BEEEEEES!

The proncess has run away from home.
The king has hired you to hunt her down, and bring back her head.

A sentient ooze holding the spirit of a dead wizard is surfacing from the groundwater in a rural region turning it into a muckland that devours the minds and bodies of anyone who enters.

Plague has struck the city and the pcs are stuck in a locked manor alongside some of the local nobility, servants and commoners who managed to snuck in.

Game revolves around keeping any infected off the property, deciding how to use your rations and how to resupply and a murder mystery thrown in to spice it up.

A pirate ship has crashed into the castle and impaled the court jester
Find the culprit and demand a new court jester. The prince is autistic and needs a source of low-brow humor to stay in check

Hard mode: start a religion, make dosh

>Plague zombie apocalypse in a fantasy world
Why hasn't this been done before? I love this idea

The druids have cast an epic spell that turned all fruits in murder machines!

The entire civilized world revolves around preparing for the next inevitable invasion from the nation of giants.

>The entire civilized world revolves around preparing for the next inevitable invasion from the nation of giants.

A slave uprising is thought to be happening in a nearby city.

If it happens the death toll will be high but the slaves just might win their freedom.

The players are Kuo Toa seeking to add gods to the setting.

The kingdom's colonies on the other side of the Great Sea are constantly under attack by local monsters and natives.
The kingdom is embroiled in various wars on the civilized lands and cannot send enough soldiers to sufficiently protect it's colonies, so word is sent out for highly experienced adventurers and explorers to help protect the colonies and map the uncharted lands across the sea.

The capital's water supply has been corrupted by illegal dumping of alchemy potions. The capital is also built into a nearly impassible mountain and their water supply comes from places deep into the mountains.

A sorcerer has cursed you to kill and devour the hearts of the rulers of all 8 great nations in the world by the time you are 30 years old. Otherwise you die.

Hobgoblins have taken over a hafling settlement in an attempt to turn them into a military regime.

This isn't even hard OP.

A bunch of dark fey who have been moved to your kingdom to escape genocide at the hands of another human kingdom begin teaching your children that it is speciesist to not welcome orcs, goblins, trolls, and drow into your society.

Most of the way into a generic trap-filled dungeon, the player characters stumble across a set of cursed equipment that binds themselves to the players.

This equipment is powerfully enchanted, and confers the right of Kingship, excalibur-style. Only problem is that if the cursed don't rule the kingdom in a year and a day, they'll all die, their souls sucked into the equipment for the next group of adventurers.

Yes, they can rule collectively. No, the current king won't simply abdicate. And while it is an option to seduce and marry the princess, she hates bards.

There is a divine power vacuum from all the gods vanishing. Evil Overlords, High Mages, and Mighty kings across the realms are trying to become the new gods by any means possible.

You have been hired by the king of ____ land to delve ancient ruins and find any powerful rituals or artifacts for him to try. Will you do what you were hired to or will you test the artifacts to see if they are real yourself?

But it has

>I forgot about warcraft

You are destroying a goblin village with a small squad under the command of Sergeant Osley. One of the goblin archers fires an arrow which kills Osley.

While you watch, Osley begins to change shape in front of you into something you have never seen before and you realize that the village you were attacking isn't goblin at all. It's human.

what

He's some kind of mind magic monster mang

Continuous earthquakes plague the land, but only in oddly placed locations. The rapidly crumbling buildings and cracking roads are only in 10-15 meter diameter circles that don't disturb anything outside of it. Wizards didn't do it this time.

We appreciated your service, but unfortunately the Empire can no longer support your frontier outpost.

>Drunk old wizard in a tavern wants adventurers to retrieve a focus amulet he lost in a nearby dungeon when he was a boy apprentice -- for sentimental value

A party of adventurers hire you, a court magus, to accompany them on their quest and fill the "Gandalf" role.

You're an arcane trickster in disguise.

The Orn are like a fantasy Mr. Meseeks; large rock golems that just like doing boring labor for no reason. They take on jobs as lab assistants, work as laborers etc. Inconsistently, many of them will announce their mission is complete, and crumble back into a pile of rocks. They're generally peaceful but now one of them has been accused of brutally murdering a family. The Orn can't speak, so the players must find out: What is the secret behind the Orn's mighty mission?

fuck off gamergate

An illegal bounty is placed on the noble and pious mayor. It is a complete mystery how the well-loved mayor has gained such a wealthy and ruthless enemy. The PCs may find themselves employed as bodyguards, investigators, or would be assassins not sure of where to go to collect their pay.

The kingdom wages war on your ass

The moon has been stuck at a crescent phase for over a week. This is causing major ecological and metaphysical chaos. Who is doing this, and why?

He was a boy, you're just a girl. Can I make it any more obvious?

He was a thug, you did crochet. What more can I say?

Every tavern in the tri-Kingdom area has had to shutter and close up shop due to a plague/flooding/wildfire/horde of locusts targeting their primary ingredients thus causing a shortage of alcoholic beverages on a massive scale. Your group meets outside of your favorite tavern, only to find it is closed, irate you set out to put an end to the plague.

Oblivion if I'm not mistaken. Trip out, slay "goblins"

A village in the county hasn't paid it's taxes in a while, the shire reeve tells you to go there and make them to render unto caesar.

Iron hand the Dwarven war hero wants to make a dwarf empire lasting a thousand years, are fantasy nazi's

The very foundation of government collapses as wise men discover there are no deities and the existing monarchies are overthrown via revolt.

Castles have gained sentience and are forcing the kings to swear fealty or be crushed.

Attending a guild protest in the market of a major city, generic name VIP fantasy church cracks down on the protest. In the ensuing riot, magical artifacts belonging to the guilds are stolen by said church. The guild council will gladly pay for you to get them back. Or, being the nursery know that you are, the party can steal the artifacts from the church and keep them for themselves.

>Added Hard Mode
>The Castles were waiting for the gods to die so their rule would go uncontested.

Stupid autocorrect, I meant to say evil church and murder hobos

>you don't know anything about the BBEG other than that he appeared out of nowhere, turned a massive wasteland into an agrarian paradise overnight, and he allegedly calls himself "Samewise the Strong"

The planets are about to align, which will allow for the casting of a ritual to pluck a star from the sky, trapping it in a magical gem to yield incredible power. You have only a few hours to reach a nearby cult and stop them from stealing the North Star.

After you succeed, you head outside and watch as every other star winks out, including the sun. Seems there are a lot of evil wizards in possession of star gems. Are you bold enough to collect them all and repair the sky?

Turns out leaving a petty, vengeful elf locked away for a thousand years is a bad idea, and petty vengeful elves tend not to care if their original targets are dead.

Epic level druid casts Awaken on the whole world. Now all trees, animals and pieces of dirt are sentient.

The Gods have died, what now?

Azazoth wakes up.

That's more of a death sentence unless Nyarlathotep isn't helping to fix this.

The Earth itself is waking up from its billion-year slumber, and you need to find a way to either lull it back to sleep or deal with it for good.
People's limbs are disappearing at random. You need to find the source (summoners and necromancers trying to create a world-ending conglomeration of flesh) and stop it before everyone degenerates into quadriplegics.
A plague/curse/what have you is sweeping your nation, and the ingredients for the cure are in the possession of several incredibly powerful beings scattered across the world.

Don't worry /ysg/ has a solution: boards.fireden.net/tg/thread/47630524/#47652080

>death sentence
That's a reality undoing sentence. Once Azathoth wakes up, everything ceases to be except maybe Yog-Sothoth.

Yup, pretty much. Bummer ain't it.
>Queen playing rock and roll to lull Azathoth to sleep.
I have found the most beautiful thing in all of existence.

ROKKZ FALL!

Someone has stolen all the fear in the land.

Fly people

There's talk of some evil wizard genderbending all the men around to get that -4 Str penalty and dominates villiages

Quick question, what stories before have had an evil princess as a main/secret villain?

YOU!

Blood soaks the floor of the inn. You and your fellow party members are surrounded by a scene of slaughter, with no idea of what's going on or who any of you are.

The dragon has died...and so now does the magic fade. The dragon was said to have laid an egg...

A unnatural plague has been killing off every orcish tribe. Suddenly unfettered by the lack of invasions, small kingdoms begin to expand and war. The plague must be stopped before the country decends into chaos.

my players, probably

Fishermen have been disappearing in a coastal town, sailing out to sea and never coming back.the PC's are hired by a local shop owner to find his missing son.

The festival is in full swing and the Battle of the Beers is on! Which brewery will have the tastiest, most potent brew? What goes into these crazy drinks? Who will get the honor of being the Duke's Official Beer for the year? Adventurers will be asked to consult, taste test, provide ingredients from the mundane to the insane (basilisk venom, anyone?), sabotage, and possibly judge the contest. Hope you have your Potion of Antidote ready...you never know when a enterprising/overconfident apprentice brew master will add a little something extra for "kick."

Came here to post this.

An division of the royal armada sets sail to explore the oceans, never to return. The following search effort finds that the armada discovered the edge of the earth, and couldn't stop themselves from sailing over the precipice. Although at first the armada is assumed dead, their ships are seen sailing once more, returning from the edge. The crew are no longer human, though, and head an unstoppable naval force driven by strange magic from the abyss.

Someone's flooding the realm with fake coinage; you find out because you've just been paid in what you find is worthless coins.

The normally subservient undead have gained a sentience.

PCs are hired by a group of strange foreign types who've come to their city hunting a run away Prince.
If they look into it further, the lot of them come from an evil as fuck style empire. Is it morally right for the PCs to help such a government?

When they find the Prince he refuses outright to return with them on the grounds he's now seen what a republic is like and thinks its far better than a Monarchy, he wants there to be a succession crisis so he can manipulate his own people into standing on their own two feet and revitalize their stagnant, brutal and ancient autocratic caste-based empire. He wants the PCs to stop others finding him and then assist in bringing down his own House and the Noble Caste.

The Royal Family are Serpentfolk, the entire kingdom are reptile people, replace Monarch with 'God-King', in that the Royal family literally has an aura of domination over their people and while not gods are exalted as such

Why did you have to remind me of that comic user

Raven-folk move into the city en masse over the course of a few months and set up their own ghetto.

Tensions rise as some believe they're planning something or spying on the Kingdom.
Turns out they are spying, but for someone that has benevolent intentions towards the land.

Are you aware that Sargon of Akkad is a historical figure?

You expect people who go around bellowing MUH GAMERGAME, RAPE, RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEPSOGYNY on the internet to be well read?

>generic fantasy kingdom is actually the creation of a race of shape shifting aliens
>the king's castle is actually a space ship that landed between France and Germany
>daemons from beyond the stars used their magicks to transform humans in the surrounding countryside into the first goblins
>they then assumed human form and wiped out the goblins
>it is an ever-expanding circle of transformation
>you and the party are the descendants of humans who had an inherited immunity to the shape shifting magic and have grown up unawares

When the king came from his throne the throne was gold. ..I don't think panicked thinking is the best way to do this

The party discovers a river which flows uphill. If they take a ship up it they find it winds up a mountain, across a rainbow and onto the moon.

I think it was a joke desu

>BBEG is a softly spoken british man who has reasonable points of view and converts everybody he speaks to

Sounds like Super Great Good Guy to me.

You have to convince the planet that dwarves aren't trying to kill it or it will kill every living being on itself

>PCs are tasked with hunting down a mad mage who is murdering other mages to steal their magical artifacts and powers
>As time goes on, PCs start to realise that while he is taking things that increase his power, he is leaving behind things that magically prolong life, while focusing heavily on items that protect one from magic.
>PCs naturally come to the conclusion he is trying to take control of the realm/make his own/ standard evil mage stuff
>One PC decides to track him to his lair by casting detect evil
>nothing
>Find his lair anyway
>literally thousands of magical artifacts, all arranged in a giant ritual pattern
>"evil" mage appears

>"In my younger years, I travelled, much like you. I saw every street of every city, slept in every stable, ate at every pauper's table, and you know what I saw? Injustice. People being punished for the crime of not being born into magical power! Those with my gift have always used it to advance our own lives to the detriment of others! BUT NO MORE! I will do what no other 'good' wizard has ever dreamt of doing! I WILL PURGE THIS WORLD! NO MAN SHALL EVER BE SUBJECTED TO THE LOTTERY OF BIRTH EVER AGAIN! I WILL CAST THE FINAL SPELL! I SHALL REMOVE MAGIC FROM THIS REALM, THE WEAVE SHALL TEAR AND BURN BEFORE US ALL AND FROM ITS ASHES A NEW ORDER SHALL RISE!"

Sounds chaotic evil to me
Dude probably just used alignment hiding spells or items

>Where did everyone's clothes go?

I thought alignment was a conscious choice, and was based on degrees of altruism?

I have a Lawful Evil demon villain who wants to get rid of magic so that people get gud at fighting instead.
Because he really likes war, and hates the idea of weird wizard shows getting into the way of a good old-fashioned battle.
More on topic:
>Hard mode
A cabal of elves are uniting their life forces to bring forth a godlike being and take the wilds for their own forever.
The other nations are obviously not okay with this, and seek to stop the ritual before it takes place.

>Hard mode: The realm has no gods/deities

As in there is no gods, or there is no real AKA truly divine/they are something very special gods. I am coming at this angle as a guy some runs far amount of VTM. If there is a extremely powerful being with strong mind control powers and is older then the current version of the civilization that the questioner is part of how much does it matter if it is just a very strong vampire? One that is playing at being a god?

Sometime I plan on pulling a plot line in a D&D that has the patron god of the counties the players are from is a real person but a fake god who invented their religion to control humans. One that has lead to a number of ruinous holy wars.

You've discovered how to harness the power of steam, which pisses off every wizard everywhere as an industrial revolution could shift the social order and leave magic obsolete. Now you must run away and try to survive with only a basic steam engine against thousands of wizards the world over.

The realm has no gods to rule over it, and the two sons of the recently deceased king have decided they both deserve ascension.

You have been contracted by the less ethically sound son.

>Only problem is that if the cursed don't rule the kingdom in a year and a day, they'll all die, their souls sucked into the equipment for the next group of adventurers.
Does this make the armour even more powerful?