/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

Reanimate edition! (Cackle maniacally as lightning strikes and thunder cracks, preferably on a dark and stormy night. Oh, and shout that "It's alive!")

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
digital-art-gallery.com/
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT:

Gentlemen, we need a UB evergreen keyword.

>reanimate edition
Well fug, I already posted my black cards recently, so posting singles feels silly. I do have this that I cribbed off another user a while back. I liked the idea so much that I had to include it in my set.

I actually proposed one in the "welp Skulk failed, now what?" thread a while back.

I dunno if it's really keyword worthy, but it is short, and combat-related, which seem to be prerequisites for evergreen keywords.

It's not actually going in my set, but I may use it someday.

I think he could actually be 1BB maybe. I like him though; he's like a black version of that green Ooze.

When you have an ability that needs quotes inside an ability with quotes, you use apostrophes instead.

Flavor text and finding images is hard.

The biggest problem with Blue and Black is that they are so mechanically distant. Blue is all about soft removal. Black is all about murder. Blue is deceptive. Black is brutal. Maro has said that, even including the enemy-color pairs, Blue and Black have the least in common of all the color pairs. The few times they do have something in common it tends to be in the more complex stuff (stealing from your opponents, for example).

Seems like a solid engine for your set, man. I'd draft it.

So, this card turned out to be a nightmare to word, especially with how scarce precedent seems to be, but I think I've got it. Now, should I adjust the costs?

Yeah, I completely agree. We may never see an evergreen keyword for them, but I don't think I did too bad with it. It's deceptive, which is blue, but selfish too, which is black. It's great for switching your unblocked deathtoucher for your blocked weenie, or what have you. It's mostly that it's manipulative, which is very UB. Still, I'm not trying to sell it, so I'll leave it at that. I took a stab at it, and may use it someday, and people are gonna like it or they ain't. But yeah, I always have a ton of trouble with UB mechanics myself. I haven't ever really successfully made one (till now, maybe).

Yes, yes they are.
>card
Well, it doesn't really need green, but I guess I can understand it if you're just trying to make it a bit harder to cast.

>Well, it doesn't really need green,
I didn't want to make a mono-black fight card, and a mono-green zombie wolf would be sort of odd.

Looks like it's worded correctly to me. Should play pretty well, though it telegraphs a big move. That's not a huge problem though; rather, it makes the card more interactive to play against, which is something a lot of us (me included) neglect from time to time. A 2/2 is a generically useful enough body to staple onto it, and it's easily adjusted to a 2/1 if need be.

Frezny could work for UB, but apparently wizards has tested it and frenzy as a mechanic just doesn't "work" for some reason.

Oops, my bad, I meant it doesn't need BLACK. Derp. I do that all the time; I'm sorry to be confusing user. I understand the tribal consideration though.

Less that it doesn't work but that development hates it.

Oh god, this does sound like a nightmare. Yours probably works, but I really want it to be clearer that its a delayed triggered ability (created by a triggered ability).
>When ~ enters the battlefield, the next time you cast an instant or sorcery this turn, copy that spell. If ~ is a token, copy that spell twice instead. You may choose new targets for the copies.

Sure thing, I can do that. Consider it updated.

It is kinda boring, to be fair. It's also not very blue at all. Dethrone is about as blue as a purely aggressive keyword should get, I think. And even then, it's mainly a BRu keyword.

I'm not sure why Frenzy couldn't work. One of the complaints about skulk is that UB already had too much evasion. Frenzy plays well into that evasion angle. Plus, Frenzy is both simple and combat-oriented.
I think Prowess is arguably more aggressive.

Prowess is and isn't, because it isn't self-contained. You have to play spells and do things to trigger it, which may or may not be aggressive things in and of themselves, and it's useful for blocking too. Frenzy and the like just make the creature better with no outside input necessary, which kinda makes them more aggressive my nature since they still work if you are tapped out or have no cards in hand. Just my viewpoint on it though.

Where are all the files I need to make MSE up to date with recent symbol additions to the game?

On the forums, there's a post that has all the newer templates and files you need, including fonts. If you google search for the M15 template, I think it pops up.

Trying to get away from keywords so these guys are probably op as shit

I don't think MSE stores set symbols for Magic sets. Regardless, new installation files can be found in the forums. Use the link for MSE in the OP, it's not hard to find.

Mechanic causes slow games. Boring stuff.

Well yes. Why wouldn't blue/black want to slow down the game?

-0/-N isn't blue though; that's one of the huge problems with keywords like this. It's also basically diet Wither.

*blocks or becomes blocked

Depending on what other cards you make you may want to gimp their power to make it more fair.

Blue gets flanking (though on literally one card), and this is pretty much the same.

Flanking exists before the current pie, and as you said, it's one card, so it's a pretty weak argument. I just don't think blue should really ever touch -0/-N outside Phyrexadin.

A 5/5 for 1 mana.

Well, we want to have a non-evasive combat keyword that Blue could conceivably do, and Blue doesn't really get those sorts of things because it hates dealing with resolved creatures.

It can weaken, but a creature that gives blocked creatures -X/-0 is functionally giving itself +0/+X. If it does it on the offense, it's Just Another Evasion Mechanic.

It can bounce, but that's not really allowable for a keyword we expect to see often. You could roll the spirit of bounce into Ninjutsu, which I think is a stellar idea (re-branded under Unveil or Deception), but may be too complicated as a evergreen keyword.

Millstrike and variants are pretty much plain out. They don't play nice with regular creatures and they don't play nice in many sets, which limits its design space.

The other one that I saw pop up before was actually a variant on Regenerate; The poster called it "Withdraw" which pulls the same Regenerate idea of "The next time this creature would die, return it to its owner's hand instead." (i.e. "UB: Withdraw ~.") But I know Regenerate is commonly regarded as a keyworded mistake that's been grandfathered into the game, so I'm not sure how the rest of the world feels about that.

I remember this dude being posted as a planeswalker at some point, I think. I have never seen the movie though; do his creations really turn on him like this?

Interesting choice, but I suspect even with the cost, it'd be a late-game card, and part of some combo that makes choosing either answer the wrong one. I dunno if it'd see print since I suspect a creature like this would have already if it were viable, but that's not a sure thing given what takes so long for us to get/see from them sometimes.

Ninjustu is an ideal solution, but yeah, I doubt they would ever evergreen it for two reasons:
>complexity
>evergreens don't have costs associated with them
These are the two main roadbumps I see. "Withdraw" is a problem because you can't put it on ETB creatures or else it creates a host of terrible situations for the defending player to have to deal with. Do I block this thing that has a nasty ETB and let the player cast it again? This isn't a question you want to force someone to ask themselves on an evergreen keyword frequency level, I don't think.

>evergreens don't have costs associated with them
While I don't disagree, not all evergreens are static abilities and some do often have costs associated with them. Equip and Regenerate are the two main ones that come to mind.

Equip yes. Regenerate no - it is a keyword action, not an ability.

Equip isn't really associated with creatures, but I can't deny Regenerate fitting the bill. Nowadays though, it's on the out, and kinda in the same pseudo-evergreen spot that Protection is in, so it's a grey area. One could argue for Prowess having an unspoken cost associated with it too, even if it's not part of the actual keyword.

>I have never seen the movie though; do his creations really turn on him like this?
Not immediately, but they do at the end. In the short story at least; I also never saw the movie.

Far too cheap for that effect.

Hi guys, I decided to start making my own set. I have no idea where this is going, so I don't expect any particular result from this. I'm just having fun.

The general flavor is pre-colonial Africa. I have no particular knowledge about African myths, I'm just trying to make it feel like it.

Here's what I have so far :

>Feral shift into (action word)
It's a flavoured slang to indicate that a creature can become either a 2/2 bird with flying, a 1/1 rat with deathtouch, a 4/4 bear,... depending on the card. Tracking issues can be prevented by using reminder cards (a la morph)

This mechanic being the focus of the set, it could lead to an original environment with a lot of french vanillas and status quo between armies of same P/T creatures.

>Circle of life X— (activated ability)
>, Exile this card from your graveyard: put X +1/+1 counter(s) on target creature. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.

I know it looks like scavenge, but the name didn't fit.
Since a lot of creatures would lose their abilities, I made sure some could be used outside the battlefield. Plus, +1/+1 counters stay on creatures even when they change state, so it seems to be a very fitting mechanic for the set.

>Community X (static ability)
>As you cast this spell, you may tap X untapped creature(s) you control to magnify it.

My take on kicker. Unlike Circle of life, it encourages going wide.

>Depletion (keyword)
>As an additional cost to cast this spell, sacrifice a nontoken land. If a land was sacrificed this way, put a Barren land token with "T: Add C to your mana pool" onto the battlefield tapped.

Downside keyword that go with undercosted, splashy spells, showcasing the wrath of mother Nature.

here's the basics

>Here's the basics
>Literally basic lands
jej

aww come on

bear art in use.

token land is a thing.

I fiddled with it and ended up with it sitting in the Uncommon slot. I like the design desu.

Back in my day, bears were 2/2 and wolves were 1/1

Seems ok? I wouldn't call it good, because with cmc5 the land upside isn't worth revealing what you drew, especially in blue where that's important as fuck. I also think the raw stats could be higher at cmc5 and multicolored, or it could give a keyword.

I remember the good ol' days.

searchin' for alternatives tom some cards that didn't feel good to play.

I love how this promotes some interesting risk assessment but does it feel black enough to fit into hybrid?

Black has had counterspells in the past, just... not many. It's *like* a "target player discards" card so.....

yeah. I think it'll stick.

kill yourself

I know that, same goes for the bird. I'll find art later.

I get the point, but I need 3/3s and 4/4s so...

that was before maro happened to green power creep

What are these cards?

This is great. Probably gonna steal it for a small set/cube.

Not bad, but, a bit boring.

This is an interesting use of time counters.

Really cool card.

This. It's quite a niche card for it to have a drawback (99% of the time).
It could cost 1BB.

Mind posting the art?

White needs so much more of this; it reminds me a lot of stuff I did in my first set, and am doing for the second.

Mind also posting the art?~

+∞ You win the game
+∞ Target player loses the game
+∞ Exile all cards target player owns.
You can't own Urza.

The thread is so active ;-; Forgot to post a reply, and the thread died on me.

>ZOMBIEEES

Don't keyword downsides.

Why not make it an enter the battlefield?
"When ~ enters the battlefield put the top three cards of your library into your graveyard, then put X +1/+1 counters on ~ where X is the number of creature cards put into a graveyard this turn."
On cast triggers are pretty rare, so unless you have a weirdness theme/"size on the battlefield as enters" theme, an enter the battlefield trigger is more common.

You might want to rephrase that second line.
If i get your intention, you could use this:
"Each player that did not sacrifice an artifact, enchantment or land this way, sacrifices another creature."
or if artifacts is the only thing that matters, which gets the flavor along better
"Each player that sacrificed a non-artifact creature this way, sacrifices another creature"

Pretty cool design both,

I'm working on making a really stupid retro inspired set.
There will be lots over overcosted crap, niche as fuck hate cards. and a Legendary for every named character.

Not sure what special set specific mechanics I should use though.

>2BBB
>6/6 with an upside
You call that retro? kill self

Oh, I like this.

Ah yes, I guess he should be a 3/4. Put him on the same power level as Gerrad.

If you know for a fact that you're going to get bad cards from these design philosophies, why follow them? I don't think "being retro" should take precedence over the quality of the cards. At least don't apply these ideas to all the cards you do.

Here's one last go on this card. If this doesn't work out, I'm just going to shelve it for a while.

This is probably Black/Green more than it is Black/Red, but that's only a minor nitpick, especially if you're trying to make it fit with other cards in the same colors. Black/Red tends to get effects that care about things dying, that exile at end of turn, or things like Morgue Burst or Underworld Cerberus- if stuff comes back, why not do so explosively, or all at once.

Up to you, I totally get the "I've redesigned this so much I'm sick of it", and it's functional as-is.

I was thinking BR because of how it ETB attacking. It's similar to things like Cauldron Dance and Swift Warkite though I was thinking about giving it a "it must be blocked" clause, so I might make it BG.

And yeah, I know I'll eventually come back to it later, but trying to mess with it more right now probably would just hurt the card.

old

Last one before I go to work. I have to say though, sometimes I think I overuse the UR color combination a bit. Oh, and as for this guy, he's the second Captain Boomerang, but most people just call him Boomer. He's a speedster (he's actually Bart's half-brother, long story), and he used his powers to throw boomerangs at super-speed. Not really sure how to translate that exactly to Magic though, so here, the spells are your boomerangs.

Anything exciting?

looks p. cool, I think the mana cost is too restrictive, maybe 2GG

It should be "Whenever a card" because it's going to happen more than once. At first, I didn't think this would work, but considering Golgari Brownscale, I think the ability actually works.

Should Z be 0, or do you think I could get away with 1?

fiddlin' around

Right. That makes sense. I guess I didn't think of the distinction.

And yeah, the mechanics support it. But hasn't been done before. That's sort of why I went with it.

It more or less is a better Maro. I don't want to fuck Maro that badly.

I don't really like either option. Making a 1-drop Akroma is a noble goal, but I don't know if it really works without being useless or busted.

I think that wording could be prettier. Something like Punish the Enemy would be cool. Fine as a spell, very good certainly, but sorcery speed keeps it fair.

I've seen this card before. Like, all of it. Different art though, I think. It is a neat idea, but I don't like it in Hybrid.

textboxfix'd sorta thing I think yeah this is better

I think if the power on that card is anything other then 1, it has to by mythic...and even at 1 its massively pushed.

>I don't really like either option. Making a 1-drop Akroma is a noble goal, but I don't know if it really works without being useless or busted.
You have a point. I want to keep it as efficient as possible without crossing the line, though. Would a 2cmc 1/1 be out of line?
>Drowsing Research
Deceptively powerful. Comparable to Retreat to Coralhelm; more linear, but easier to trigger.

agreed with
i would say two keywords, and if power is 1 trample is irrelevant for the most part

nah, 1 power tramplers are the best. Oppenents tend to forget the trample part until something big like Might of Oaks gets slapped on it.

90% of people list their favorite card from Theros as the badger.

That's more to do with flavor than being a Defiant Elf.

True. Coralheim's strength appears to be primarily its untap ability (at least in real formats), so I'm not terrible worried. I really should double check my old cards against new printings.

for flavor then i prefer menace and haste. the pupil seems cocky and it makes sense that he would rush into battle and only die from overestimating his ability and fighting two opponents

still exploring common slot options.

This effect hasn't really been a thing before has it? I mean, just a general one, not a lure effect. Do the colors seem right?

I kind of like this as some sort of pseudofight halfremoval.

The effect has been done before. Your colors seem fine, considering this and Courtly Provocateur.

Sounds good to me.

>a 2-for-1 that sometimes makes you lose the game
at first glance doesn't seem like a card I'd like neither to play nor to play against, but maybe playtests prove me wrong.
on second thought, card advantadge at the cost of life is not that rare in black

I cleaned up Aytas to actually be somewhat decent/playable/make sense in MtG terms.

This is the version I'm happy with- a second version I tried transformed by sacrificing a land and had a Delirium trigger on both sides, but I don't like it as much.

The mechanic seems solid, but the card itself might need 1U

user, that's a real mechanic

I really liked the one that was like Flanking, I think it was called Psychosis.

"Whenever a creature without Psychosis blocks this creature, the blocking creature gets -1/-0 until end of turn."

Name could be changed but the concept is super solid.

Have a new-age Hazezon. Can't resist pairing mechanics that never saw the same light of day together.

Oh, uh...

At least my instincts are okay

More potential commanders. This one's a fever-dream combination of a bunch of my favorite cards plus some additional flavor (Dragon Throne of Tarkir + Pyxis of Pandemonium + Underworld Cerberus, for inspiration.)

>9 text lines
ew

Eh, don't worry too much about it. It only ever appeared in Origins, and wasn't that huge of a thing, so it never got too much attention.

It could stand to lose Defender since it's already a 0/1, maybe, and there might be better ways to word it, Pyxis is wordy for what it is.

Going to keep rolling on these custom commanders until I run out of steam. They're a blast to make.