MTG Beautiful Artwork Thread

Haven't seen one of these in a while, and with the new sets out and about, I figured we could kick off another one.

I'm starting with my all time personal favorite; Gift of Orzhova.

>Personal attachment to this card because it reminds me of my late father
>He was a stained glass master, doing work for churches and such
>He taught me the trade when I was just a lad, and after he passed his things sat for years in the garage
>After I got back into Magic, I saw this card and just welled up with emotions
>Now I'm getting back into stained glass as a hobby / side income
>And the foil truly shows this card's beauty

>Pic not mine, but God do I want one

i really like the bfz full art lands

Ice Age had some really metal art.

Probably my favorite nonland art here.

The artists notes for that mention the glow in her eyes is Avacyn which makes it pretty cool

>No cereal bowl island
Patrician taste.

I always wanted to make Thraben Valiant into a playmat but I can never get it to fit properly.

Why are people so obsessed with the bowl island?

I have no clue, there's nothing particularly fantastic about it.

I more appreciate architectural lands.

Because it's a meme.

Waifufags pls go

The thing with architectural lands is that swamps, mountains and plains are hard to translate into buildings

I think this cards name is "Dawnlight Invoker" or something like that.

Yeah they definitely took some liberties to do them, but I think they came out great.

i've always liked the contrast magic has with its art themes. I think the old cards that were hand drawn and reprinted looked better, but the new computer made ones are pretty badass too.

this was my fav card growing up.

tersh

No love for poor old Mr.Myrfors :(

They are great indeed. For Return to Return to Ravnica, they should go for borderless full art lands, that would be lovely

Ravnica did a great job with architectural lands. Isn't as hard as people might think it would be.

There's quite a bit of untapped potential with lands like these, for instance, a village living on the side of a cliff for mountains, a Blight town like place for swamps, etc.

The oldschool geeky-esque art really fits the card

Going on that note, which do you guys like better generally? Older or newer art?

I feel as if the older style of art was more neat in some cases, with the art fitting the the card's name and effects a lot more literally. Has a better narrative. On the other hand, the newer art does a better job sticking to overall themes as well as better standalone pieces.

I don't care about generally. Some old cards I like, some I despise, most I don't care about. Same thing as new ones.

all of the angel cards are pretty good. are there any male angels tho? I can't remember ever seeing one.

They did a great job, that's for sure, but cards like pic related don't quite convey the "I'm a plain" message Lorwyn and other planes with a nature centered art convey

They are still awesome, though

Ugh, fucking millennials and their nuMagic art.

Have some genuinely good art.

Heh.

its a toss up for me, id have to agree with what says. I judge the cards individually and if I like them I like them. the old pastel drawings look great, and so do the new computer drawn ones. this is one of my fav card arts from the new generations.

Old cards tend to have memorable art, sometimes it was great, sometimes it was lame.
Newer cards have really good art overall, but have lost part of its charm.

Pic somewhat related

I found this in my friend's binder and my jaw dropped immediately. This image doesnt do justice, the art looks more stunning in person.

Same pic, better res, user

I like it too

I also love everything Rebecca Guay does, she is probably my favorite artist. I love this card, the girl looks so innocent and happy. and the scattered toys and background color gives me childhood feels.

Dawn GLARE invoker

(forgot image)

Holy fuck, I've never realized that that 99% of all of MTG's angels are female.

You're totally incorrect

Old art absolutely does not better fit the card and flavor

I prefer old art to but I don't understand how a person could be this wrong

Oh yes, one more for now. This image has amazing colors that fit perfectly together (which also correspond with the mana), and the colors also produce the mood of the character on the card.

Okay, mind telling me why you disagree?

Absolutelt agree.
Old art is charming and unique, but some arts don't even make fucking sense, pic related.

That's by intent. All angels are female and all demons are male.

I really do miss the more conceptual nature of older art.

That rule is further emphasised by the fact one of the few male angels (are there more? Can't say for sure) came out precisely in a set about parallel timelines.

For a block overall I have to go with Kamigawa though. It really gave the sense that they were fighting something that could not be comprehended or defeated.

I believe this is the only other male angel in existence.

Can't help but feel that there is a ton of untapped design space for angels and demons. I'd be all over a set if they had angels look something like pic related.

Sadly, it's gonna be a little bit before we get anything with angels/demons in the spotlight with Wizards going Hollywood the last year or so.

One of my favourite MTG artworks, too bad it was wasted on a bad creature :(

Demons really benefit from weird designs

Her left leg is missing.

Because she has no legs, she has a mermaid tail

I mean there are plenty of cases where you are right, but this is not one of them. Stasis' art fits the card perfectly.

There was one angel in Planar Chaos that was male.

My niggas, I love the Ravnica lands and would love to see more lands featuring architecture.

Do you have a link to these? I love all of Ravnica's lands.

Does it? Explain, because it's my favorite art, but I don't really think it's fitting

He's selling it on a playmat now, hoping to pick one up.

I have a foil Phyrexian Unlife and I'm thoroughly convinced it is the best foil in the history of the game.
You should look into a foil copy of Godless Shrine from Gatecrash. It should be right up your alley. Might be kind of expensive, though.

ravnica has some great art in general

Phil Foglio is honestly one of my favorite Magic artists

My current favorite artist is Nils Hamm, his work is actually perfectly ethereal and breathtaking for the sets he draws for. He normally gets black and red cards, but I feel that he really shines when he does white and green.

My recent favorite has to be Seb McKinnon, his stuff feels otherworldly

>niggas hatin' on the bowl

I love it.

>those sandals

Top unf.

He's definitely one of the few above average artists they have. It's a shame that card sucked more ass than a twister at the donkey farm.

I love her.

My favorite lands are ones where the color on the artwork is different than the color it produces. I need to pick up some foil of these.
The purple forest from Innistrad is also a favorite.

Where do you guys get custom playmats?

Merciless Eviction, it's hard to pick a favorite, but it's up there.

I really dislike the unwritten rule where the art now has to reflect the colors of the card. Awful.

full art panorama lands when

Hey there

FUCKING MEXICANS

Alright this is the best chance I will get to ask this. What the fuck is maze of Ith supposed to be? Any lorefags know more than me? All I see is a big brain-looking thing

That there could work as an angel from New Phyrexia.

I have a foil of this, it's actually quite good.

>two snakes in the god tier art
>the card itself only gives you one snake, that you can only conditionally get, at a whopping six mana cost

WIIIIZAAAAARDS!!!!!!

Both Phil and Kaja are favorites of mine, I don't get why they are hated so much

Does that thing flip over when it's full?

>Ghosts in the background
I'm spooked.

Damn, didn't realize the black hole was pulverizing people

The Orzhov are fucking metal

Talking about spooky, this thing used to scare the shit out of my brother back when we were kids

Never knew why

So... like this?

So good.

It really is a picture of someone trapped in a maze, but that maze appears to be made out of intestines. The middle of the art has the outline of a body trapped inside the intestine maze. It's from an early set when artists did whatever the fuck they wanted and it's by Anson Maddocks who did even more of whatever the fuck he wanted than most other artists at the time.

The art is awesome, reminds me of that art with the fetus

>tfw I can't find most of my favorite Lorwyn/Shadowmoor art in high res

It isn't fair. The art direction for the block was phenomenal.

i want this foil so bad

It seems like all the Angels in Innistrad are pretty.