Exalted General - /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For the basics of combat, read this tutorial. It'll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.
forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?769761-Exalted-3E-Combat-301.

>Gosh that was fun. There were a lot of lesbians though. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition:

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for Previous Editions:
>pastebin.com/raw/EL3RTeB1

Backer Charm Book:
mediafire.com/download/x7i7p5c4rm7kacq/Backer_Charms_Plain_Text.pdf

Let us speak of our favored splats. which is superior? more interesting? superfluous? poorly done? How would you want them to be different in 3e

Anything 3e cocked up so far?

Boring, mostly.
The charms section is still long as hell, with trash like this scattered throughout, craft system is now more than ever a giant pile of cock that the craft charms mostly exist to let you ignore, character generation still lets you pour 100xp down the drain, "Solar" experience has a stupid name as it can be spent on everything except Solar Charms, ten-step attack resolution has been soviet fixed by removing the step numbering, and there's a hundred small nuisances but nothing that makes me either hard or enraged.

It's better than 3e, in much the same way bread is better than burnt pancakes. I'm not tasting ashes, but I have no hope for greatness either, not when the corebook is still 700 pages of autism.

I meant better than 2e, herp a derp.

>Let us speak of our favored splats. which is superior? more interesting? superfluous? poorly done? How would you want them to be different in 3e

I always liked Abyssals conceptually, but the whole, "90% identical to Solars just wearing a trenchcoat" sucked.

I was looking forward to seeing how they would be revised in 3rd edition, but then I heard about Liminals and they tap more into what I was looking to get from Abyssals anyway.

Hey id rather have one 700 page core than have to buy three books to play a game

Every time I think I should read over the craft charms to see just the extent to which they let you ignore the crafting system, I remember that artifact and manse crafting is still a gigantic investment of ability dots just to be able to do it at all. Why would they make something like "I want to forge a daiklave" or "I want to erect a manse" such a narrow mechanic that you have to build an entire character around just doing it efficiently?

The same reason you have you build your character around killing behemoths. Artifacts are fuckoff powerful of course they need massive investment to make.

Craft (daiklave) doesn't exist, craft (artifact)does. And thats probably the least narrow concept there is, artifacts can be basically anything just make shit up

if you were making merits/flaws for lunars would you include something like "obvious/subtle tell"? if so how would they work and what point value?

If something like that existed i wouldn't have it be someone's tell is just somehow less hidden than normal because that raises the weird metaphysical question of if someone's tell is just sometimes less effective when they exalt. I would make it more 'someone who doesn't like you saw you do something and recognized your tell, now lots of people know'

...What? Like 'so ridiculously over the top mutated it strains the magical disbelief field?' vs 'minor enough that even those aware of the tell might miss it by looking, hiding even from dedicated hunters but running the risk of your friends not knowing you either'?

I don't like it.

How's this for a homebrew Lunar charm tree? It's only six charms, but any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Strength

Invocation of Power
Str 2, Ess 1
Supp;Instant
Keywords: Dual
3m

Gain (Str/2) successes on a withering damage roll, or 1 successes on a decisive damage roll.

Ess 3: Increase the successes to (Str) on withering, and (Str/2) on decisive.

Destructive Barrage Technique
Str 3, Ess 1
Supp: instant
Keywords: Withering
Prereq: Invocation of Power
5m

Gain Target’s Onslaught as dice on a withering damage roll. If you deal more than your Target’s Stamina in withering damage, you can forgo that much damage to reduce your target’s Soak by your Strength. This charm can be applied up to (Str/2) times to a single target.

At Ess 3, this charm can be applied up to (Strength) times, but each application past the first (Strength/2) times costs 5 more motes.

Defense-Crushing Method
Str 3, Ess 2
Supp: Instant
Keywords: Withering
Prereq: Destructive Barrage Technique
10m, 1wp

Forgo twice your target’s Stamina in withering damage to reduce their Defense by 1 for the scene. This charm can be applied up to (Ess) times against a single target.

Mark of Lunar Strength
Str 3, Ess 2
Supp: Instant
Keywords: Decisive-Only
Prereq: Invocation of Power
8m, 1wp

A decisive attack supplemented with this charm does not deal damage, but instead allows the Lunar to store min(Str/2, damage forfeited) health levels of damage. The Lunar can reflexively unleash the damage upon the target any time until the next time the moon sets. Only one application of this charm is valid per Lunar per target. If this charm is used twice by the same Lunar against the same target, refresh the time limit and choose the higher of the two usages to determine damage stored.

At Ess 3, the time limit is removed, and the damage stored is increased to min(Str, damage forfeited).

Instant Punishment Method
Str 4, Ess 2
Permanent
Prereq: Mark of Lunar Strength

This charm permanently enhances its prerequisite. The Lunar can set up to (Ess/2) conditions on the target. When any of the conditions is met, the damage is unleashed or removed. The conditions cannot be split between unleashing the damage or removing it.

Varying by Degrees
Str 4, Ess 3
Permanent
Prereq: Instant Punishment Method

This charm enhances its prerequisite. The Lunar can split the conditions between unleashing, removing, and reducing the damage, and can reduce some of the damage upon fulfilling a condition, or unleash only some of it upon fulfilling another.

question how bad of an idea is it to take 11 resistance charms with a brand new solar

Supernal Res combatant? Just fine, as long as that's not all you're bringing to a battle.

11 Charms is REALLY deep to go in any one Ability to start off; you're almost certainly overspecializing and would be better served by distributing some of those Charms to other Abilities, especially non-combat ones.

Are all Lunar kids beastmen or can I just get some spooky looking humans? Like... they clearly aren't a panther-man but a blend of different things into a unique being?

Also where would the Goddess of Submission be in heaven's hierarchy?

I think you have to bang an animal to get a beastman

she'd be bound in the back where she belongs. the rest of the time shes somebody's secretary who never does any actual work

>When the character is a shadow, she is dematerialized and can only affect or be affected by other dematerialized creatures or by Charms and weapons capable of attacking dematerialized foes. If the wearer uses such a Charm or weapon while dematerialized, she can use it to affect a materialized foe.
I found it, I found the most broken thing in the game.

No what I meant was where does she work?
Like Heaven has a bunch of different bureaucracies and I'm not sure where to place her....

I actually do have an idea for the goddess herself.

I think that was a sex joke.

And then someone lights up a torch and you pop out of shadow you were hiding in.

Ah I see.
Still that would be a valid answer, undoubtedly there would be a god of submission or two that take that route of submission.

Nope.

If somebody lights a torch, that means they can see me with a Per + Awa roll (diff 3). I'm still a shadow and I still count as dematerialized and I can still thwack them with Spirit-Cutting Attack 9000x until they die without them being able to do shit or fuck unless they can attack dematerialized opponents.

only if five of those are ox body

so tell me about your character Veeky Forums

Or they can just escape. Yeah, this thing is kinda crazy but if you make a slight investment in Stealth you should be able to kill any mortal without spending merit dots and commiting 5 motes. Also, if my player picked that thing up that would mean that any significant enemy from now on should have some way to deal with dematerialized enemies.

picture don Quixote with super powers

Would you play an Exalted game but with Creation having a technology level of the early 20th century?

Hell yes I would. If you're doing this, I want in user.

It's just an idea I'm meddling with. How would the various city-states behave? Would they be fully-fledged nations instead?

>Also, if my player picked that thing up that would mean that any significant enemy from now on should have some way to deal with dematerialized enemies.
And that's gay.

He's a Dawn caste who exalted during a jail break and went on to command his fellow brigand and raider prisoners to take over the city they were imprisoned in.

Though the details are not elaborated, this ended badly, as while he is a brilliant military commander, he is not a statesman (yet).

After that failure, he took over a joke of a mercenary company and turned it into the premier shock-troopers of the South. Upon hearing of the Jiaran rebellion, he marched north east to throw in his lot and test he and his soldiers against The Realm.

So right now he's marching his soldiers and something like 25000 Jiaran militia he's trained into proper warriors to intercept House Mnemon forces before they lay a counter-siege of the city.

'Named' city states would likely be the capitals of their own empires and nations, with other smaller 'unnamed' cities being under their control. The realm would likely still have its satrapies. The Guild and the Realm would be rival mercantile empires, and likely form opposing power blocks - Realm+Satraps vs Guild+Thresshold States. Those power bloc border lines would be the flashpoints for larger conflicts, up to a WWI level fracas if alliances are tight enough.

>ten-step attack resolution has been soviet fixed by removing the step numbering

They did elaborate, in the final version of the book, that attackers declare charms before defenders unless specifically stated.

I ran a game with Creation having a technology level of the early 20th century.

Lunars were bolsheviks.

Please tell me all about it. You got a pdf of somewhere you compiled info?

This was years ago for a 2E game. One of my players homebrewed the gear for it though, I'll see if they still have it.

Dawn caste. Former head of Chiaroscuro's secret police. Got betrayed, Exalted while beating the shit out of his ambushers, then the warehouse he was fighting in exploded. He's currently seeking proof of the traitor, and trying to find out just how deep the corruption runs before he reveals that he is in fact still alive.

Hippocratic oath would be a major oath right?

in a game where everybody and everything important glows

do you have homebrew I can use right now? :)

Major or Defining principle, I'd think.

What do you roll for seduction?

App/Cha + Presence

It depends.

usually
but performance if your doing a sexy dance or singing a serenade, and probably manipulation if youre trying not to be super obvious about it

Or Linguistics if you're writing a love poem, or Craft if you're making them something in the hopes of gaining their attention, or Socialize if you're trying to convince the king you'd make a good wife/concubine, or...

>Like Heaven has a bunch of different bureaucracies and I'm not sure where to place her....
In the Cerulean Lute, under Venus, the Maiden of Serenity, I'd imagine.

A Zenith with supernal War who was a Realm levy who exalted after refusing an order to execute prisoners whom he'd promised protection. His dragonblooded superior officer was going to execute them herself to spare him the dilemma of breaking his word (which she thought was quite magnanimous!), but my character still took exception. Violent exception.

looking at 2e lunar charms, which were considered must haves, and how many of those were must haves right out of chargen?

jeez, you try to do a guy a favor....
:(

Zenith caste.
Thinks of himself as a schemer/builder, but really is just a chain of barely-recovered-from fuckups. partly he is aware of this, and resents the system of Exaltation for choosing imperfect beings.
Name of Ducat. Totem is 'Covetuous Serpent'
Currently working on forging himself into a vishvarupa version of himself after a fight with a fae caused it to assume his Heart's grace.

*TWILIGHT.
FUCK.
Not zenith caste.
Also, exalted when he did some haruspicery on the City god, and realised he fucked up something beautiful, then managed to jury-rig a new, divine, pumping heart for the guy.

Zenith caste, themed entirely around Bollywood. Supernal Performance (of course), uses Silver-Voiced Nightingale Style to fight with musical numbers.

...huh. used ed's exalt tools for 2.5, made a heroic mortal, exalted him to lunar and ended up with immediate(and large) bonus point debt. had to drop ability scores.

how would you explain that sort of restructuring in setting? (or would you let the abilities slide and ignore that debt?)

(had earned no xp. mortal was intended to be used in a flashback/tutorial level to story's start where the freshly rolled circle meets)

It's a fairly high ranking position. The Irony is not lost on her.

King of a country that's ran out of a boat, Sorcerer, Eclipse Caste, wielder of Spring Razor, and generally ended up exactly where he wanted to be as a child.

Also, deals drugs to Fae.

lunar totem has to be animal yes? even if you start play with the knack that lets you hunt plant hearts?

I am (not) Groot!

>so tell me about your character Veeky Forums
I'm playing a Zenith Sorcerer who exalted by having the sheer testicular fortitude to pull off an immortality Working. After spending most of the Working slowly, carefully loosening his soul, he pinned his shadow to the ground in the focal room of his manse, then cut his shadow off of himself.

The end result was a shadow-familiar which had half of his soul in it. As long as one lived, the other could heal at a natural healing speed from dead, because at least part of the soul would be in a living host. By the same token, putting half of one's soul in an immortal spirit has a way of rendering you immune to aging, though that's less relevant post-exaltation.

So, a sorcerer with a familiar to whom they serve as a mutual phylactery.

The character's currently in the process of trying to collect a basic stock of mystical resources, build a proper ritual chamber, make oaths and pacts with supernatural entities, and generally try to rebuild the magical resources that they thoroughly burned on their desperate quest for immortality.

The best part of all of this is that, if the Working had gone wrong enough, the character would have died outright, with their shadow/soul popping off as an absurdly potent sorcerously-produced Hungry Ghost.

what about that spell that lets you steal or destroy somebody's shadow?Nah, if anything I'd rather see one for the power of a totem form

Noting. The Red Rule means seduction only works if the other player wants it to, so rolling is pointless. Just roleplay it after discussing if it's ok with the rest of your group.

>Nothing.
I bet you don't roll for pregnancy or sex quality either. Pleb.

Dawn Caste. Princess of Vaneha and Sword Prince Gensuji's younger sister. Super wanted to exalt so she could try out the Imperial Daiklave. When Gensuji was afraid she might actually do it and kill him in a duel to keep it, he had her exiled into the Hundred Kingdoms under the guise of journeying to master swordsmanship. She Exalted a couple years later after training for three days straight to eliminate any flaws in her form.

She still really wants the Imperial Daiklave, and has every intention of dueling her brother for the right to have it. Of course, she's figured out that he's openly ruling Vaneha now, and that the Imperial Daiklave is a right of kingship. But if ruling Vaneha is the only way to get the sword, then that's what she'll do. If her brother (who is now the inferior swordsman) won't give her the sword she feels is rightfully hers, then she'll march upon Jibei with an army at her back.

Currently, she, along with the rest of the Circle, have become the champions helping defend the Hundred Kingdoms from the invading Vanehan forces. She's got the mad dosh and the army she wanted, and hopes to take Jibei before Calibration. But for right now that's the smaller problem, as it looks like we'll soon have a detachment of the Seventh Legion at our backs.

Old retired Haltan assassin and hunter, stealth supernal, not sure about exaltation yet. Finds his lunar mate and a circle, they give meaning to his life and renewed vigor, harassing Realm forces. Fucks up because he's a cocky noob and they end up all killed. Runs away from a very determined and powerful Wyld Hunt, only place they wouldn't follow him was a Wyld pocket. He turns into groot, freaks out, then returns to bury his friends properly. Now he wanders the area in the shadows helping out here and there, searching for a new purpose to kick him into gear and back on track.

I'm shit at roleplaying, but I put a lot of thought into this, and it's the best I can do.

a canticle for hope(thaumaturgy) wouldn't attract infernals and abyssals would it?

One of a thousand mortal assassins trained all their lives, then sent to try and kamikaze the Scarlet Empress, only to arrive in the Imperial City in time discover her Redness had gone missing. Took up assassinating dynasts' mortal lackeys as a hobby. One of her targets happened to exalt as a Terrestrial just as she attacked; when she chose to stay and face down a demi-god, she counter-Exalted as a Solar, and kicked his arse. Currently infiltrating dynastic society (supernal Socialize) and trying to manipulate the nascent civil war to the benefit of her homeland.

Is this for a comedy game?

>The Red Rule
>implying you're seducing PCs, and not NPCs
>not using seduction as a weapon to further your political agenda
kek

>conquering a nation ruled by your own brother just because you want a swag sword
Good lord.

It depends on whether or not you think it's a neat plot hook.

No more than any other.

It looks like Great Curse kicked in early.

Also don't bust someone's balls as long as his game group has no problems with it. I'm agreeing with you on the matter but still it is a dick move. Maybe he is young, still has a innocent view of what is cool and awesome.

>Also don't bust someone's balls as long as his game group has no problems with it.
I think it's a great character if he's intentionally playing up a tragic arc of hubris and grief, actually. You know, assuming it's on purpose.

Do you think lunar hero style(the expansion available only to lunars) should have more charms based on shapeshifting?

Sounds neat. Make sure you have some connections with the other assassins and discuss with the GM who your master is (maybe a Lunar in disguise, a Gold Sid, etc.).

In 2e? Yes.
But don't play 2e.

It's on purpose. I wanted a really Sengoku-Jidai-styled motivation for a character, and the blurb on Jibei got me thinking about a swordsman who thinks the Imperial Daiklave rightfully belongs to them while being completely oblivious of how crazy that sounds. At the start, she genuinely didn't get why anyone would have a problem with what she's doing, but I'm thinking raising and training an army of disenfranchised peasants and bandits, having to actually put up with them, helping start the circle's little empire amidst a bunch of infighting from a cluster of the Hundred Kingdoms and the rest of the party asking what exactly she plans on doing after taking over her homeland should start giving her a sense of responsibility soon. It's very possible that she'll decide that she likes her current sword just fine (or that swords are just an illusion or some BS like that) and actually turn into a proper leader somewhere down the line. It probably depends on whether or not she has a dedicated "Oh, man. Am I actually the bad guy around here?" moment.

I remember seeing this guy from the drawthread a while back; did you ever get any art of them?

Has anything besides dnd and 40k ever gotten a sticky for new edition?

Probably not. Stickies are for things that are popular enough to spawn dozens of threads at one time.

Can you have sex with a fire elemental without a charred dick?

Element Resisting Prana exists for just that purpose.

>It's on purpose.
Then yeah, that's rad.

>Can you have sex with a fire elemental without a charred dick?
Sure. Not all fire elementals are made of fire. Garda Birds, for example, are fuckhuge peacocks, and the fire crops up in their reproduction/immortality cycle.

This isn't D&D, where 'elemental' means a being comprised entirely of a platonic element. It's Exalted, where 'elemental' means that it's some kind of badass animal or person with an elemental theme featured prominent somewhere in it.

Radical. Keep us informed on how that goes.

I love how all those people saying that Ex3 being number one on Drivethru RPG was due to 'backer copies' have shut up now that it's still number one.

Yep.

Is that a Solar Freddy Mercury?

I had no idea I wanted this until now.

Right?

Flame Butterflies and Fire Ducks. Neither is as furry as you might expect.

Are her pubes literally fire?

Worked on them the time I used it to get the circle together. Also worked on the Siddie, but only because some god ran panicked into his ofice to tell him some mortal chump had used it successfully

Reading about the Fire Ducks made me feel kind of bad for them.

I'm just starting to get into Exalted myself, and was wondering if it would be better to read the 3rd edition book for my introduction, or go through the old 2e book first to get a background. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Read the Ex3 book. If you want some more background, check out 1E.

Will do, thanks.

I'd say some parts of 2e are good if you want more information, but 1e had more fluff.

Honestly I liked some things explained rather than the half assed "Don't bother explaining it, leave it full of holes and call it 'full of mystery!' as a buzzword."