Does Veeky Forums talk about Apocalypse World 2.0e?

Does Veeky Forums talk about Apocalypse World 2.0e?

Other urls found in this thread:

kickstarter.com/projects/1277034820/masks-a-new-generation
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

There's a lot of hatred towards the World games on Veeky Forums

Probably not. Veeky Forums in general tends to dislike cool games.

I didn't know there was a 2e. What's changed?

I only heard about there being a second edition when I asked if AW was worth a buy. Should I be waiting for 2e?

Why does Veeky Forums hate the World games? They seem purty fun.

Having seen various * World threads start going to shit in the past year and a half, the answer is autism..

You're confusing Veeky Forums's problem with the fanbase's

The Operator character is gone now is the one thing I know. I'll know more when my copy comes in and I am too lazy to check the kickstarter

>Playing as a Hardholder
>Having the time of my life

I love to be the man

Nah, it's definitely a Veeky Forums problem. In my experience, * World games tend to drive autists nuts, probably because there are so few numbers, and being good at these games requires being able to interact well with others, rather than interacting with a character sheet. The better you are at back-and-forth with your DM, the better the games play.

I agree. but if you are a normie in the streets and a neckbeard in the sheets like I am, you can enjoy AW as much as a neckbeard would enjoy dnd 3.5e

It's nothing to do with "so few numbers". It's because it pretends to be new and revolutionary when it's not. It pretends to have simple streamlined rules when it doesn't. It pretends to be exciting when it actually results in the most bland generic games I've ever seen - and I once played a Warcraft d20 homebrew.

I'm fine with rules lite games. I've played 1 page RPGs with newbies and had a blast. It's not because ShitWorld games have "so few numbers". It's because ShitWorld games are shit.

The World games are mostly fine, it's Dungeon World people here have a big hatred for.

Don't go spouting off.

You're one salty dude, user. Do you worry that you spend too much time in threads about stuff you don't like? Are there not enough threads for stuff you do like, or something?

DW sucks, AW is fine.

>I have a beardie
so accurate

>u mad

Thanks for conceding the argument. :^)

Well, you didn't really make an argument. You said that you don't hate it because there aren't enough numbers, but unless you're a majority of the people that don't like World games, then that's just an anecdote, not an argument.

You followed it with "Shit world is shit" which barely qualifies as a meme, much less an argument.

If you're going to post "nuh uh it's shit" then "u mad" is all you get.

You're confusing Dungeon World with all *World games. DW is a steaming pile of mediocrity so far up it's own ass it looks like a reverse-ouroboros, but AW, 'Hood, Legend of the Elements, etc. suffer from only a few of the issues and not nearly to the degree (AW does have a bit of a pompous tone, but fuck, I'd take a hundred AWs over dealing with the 110% Smug levels of Burning Wheel).

*games tend to draw hate because, they're pretty shitty games. Apocalypse World specifically tells the GM to fuck with the players in a bad way, and it does so explicitly. On top of that *world games get driven into the ground real fast unless the GM is above average in quality, both in terms of keeping the game flowing, keeping mechanics in check and not t-bagging the players by accident.

It's an ok game for new players to teach them some good rp habits and eventually move on to better games, but god help them if the GM is new.

>Apocalypse World specifically tells the GM to fuck with the players in a bad way, and it does so explicitly.
That's just not true.

If I remember correctly, what the AW book tells to the GM/MC is:
>1. You're not here to win
>2. Fuck with the players because hall stories are about heroes encountering challenges BUT
>3. Don't be an asshat, because rule n°1

>Operator character is gone
Well fuck, it was my fave.

Anyone else who have already tried the 2nd edition?

reddit

We talked about what changes were in the playbooks a while ago. No operator, doesn't bother me, shit was boring. Quarantine is in, which is neat, gives a player a lot of control over what the apocalypse was though.

That's about it, waiting for news on the kickstarter. New playbook for the Show could be interesting. I'm curious about how vehicle rules changed.

Enough people here like *world games just fine. For a while a few hyperautisits were upset about that one time they saw other people having fun playing dungeonworld so made a rap on youtube about it.

Some of the *world games are well put together adaptations that take the rules and fit them to specific settings. Some of them are just taking a dice mechanic and bolting it onto stuff.

Some people dislike the writing tone of apocalypse world specifically because they're easily triggered by swears and sex things.

pls respond

What separates the good AW hacks from the bad?

I'd love to try it, I have a physical copy of AW with a big history behind it. As in, my ex of a very lenghty relationship bought it for me as a gift, not knowing shit about RPGs, and at first I thought it looked pretty bad.
Then I discovered it was a perfect fit for my style of DMing and it made me discover all about hippie "story games" and such.
Which in turn made me discover about the OSR.
Essentially it gave me a huge boost in "knowing stuff about RPGs" when I was already a huge nerd about it but didn't have many things to look at because I'm not living in an english country so, not a lot of ressources available if you don't know where to look.

It's subtle.
I think the best answer is go read everything in the forge, then question and criticize it, then go read the lumpley blog and understand why and how everything works, then go read all the hacks and notices how the good stands out and how the bad stands out, and at the end you'll still struggle to make anything because you'll see all the flaws in everything you make, and then you won't be able to do anything RPG related for a while. And then you'll start working on carefully planned and organically emerging games and suddenly you'll be doing awesome shit.

And there, you'll see the difference half the time and miss it until actual play the other half.

Or, list :

>Good Hacks
The Sprawl
The Hood
Swords of Babylon
Monsterhearts
Monster of the Week
World of Dungeons (and most of its Hacks)

>Meh Hacks
Dungeon World
Urban Shadows

>Terrible Hacks
The Hotline Miami one (not Hell Vice Merciless, that's awesome, I mean the bland one)
The Zombies ones (all of them, sadly)
The Borderlands ones (stay away!)

Also the Shadowrun one, Sixth World (digest edition) is based off Dungeon World but is probably on par with The Sprawl in term of design quality. It does away with hit points and the such.

Generally good hacks fit the mechanics to the themes that they aim for. (Note that this is fairly subjective.) In a good hack you'll see lots of flavorful rules. In a bad one you'll see a lot of boring "When the player has this, they get +1 to do that" everywhere.

I enjoy the cyberpunk hack The Sprawl of Apocalypse world. I listened to a Play Podcast by Friends at the Table where a group of players did a whole storyline about 4 mercenaries uniting the galaxy against a hyper-intelligent mind controlling AI.

Was real heavy on the storytelling.

Playing a Hardholder taught me that I was a horrible manager.

Wait for 2e unless you really want to get started soon.

Mostly it seems to be a rules clean up. There's less ambiguity between Go Aggro and Seize By Force (New move called Sucker Someone), and the firefight rules are better. There's also a move (Road War) for fighting with vehicles, and the vehicle rules are more in depth.

Does anyone else think that Deathwatch could actually be made into an interesting AW hack? I always thought that the game's rules made it really hard to make the badass killing machine/big damn hero thing work in the FFG rules.

There is a new hack that is pretty good I hear. MASKS. Essentially playing teen superhero like Teen Titans or Young Justice style.

kickstarter.com/projects/1277034820/masks-a-new-generation

>chinese dude

Don't post pictures of Matsumoto the depressed Japanese comedic God on my fucking traditional games board without consulting me first.

Found "that guy" I bet he thinks of his characters as the main character like in his animes.

Aw has issues but saying it's creates bland and generic games is ridiculous the game is a experience that the players and MC build together so if you where in a shit/boring game it's your groups fault not the system.

Inb4 he needs pre-written setting that semi-fleshed out.

Op here, thanks for the (you) :^)

How hard can it be? What went wrong? I have Been in the army so I can manage a gang pretty easily.

Explain this meme. Fuck you for responding to me with this incomprehensible shit.

It means you have Been rused, I know who this gentleman is and I enjoy the annual gaki no tsukai each year very much. I baited you for this exact response, how new are you?

Not the guy you replied to but that while not a lot of effort was still somehow a huge waste

Well that's cool. Thanks, I'll have to try this out some time.

>Urban Shadows
>mediocre

Why?

Yeah, I only managed to ruse an actual aut-.. person who didnt even get the joke.

I have played a one session of 2nd edition so far and I like everything except the exp system. People are just hogging rolls for fast XP and not focusing on roleplaying and world creating.