Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

How does your character have fun?

When asking about build advice, remember to be sure to mention whether or not third party material (3pp) is allowed!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hdPm41ad

Please search for the unerrata'd content here: web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/document/d/1PuHwR9uNL9zL2AGqUhYzOd47IJb22l1IK4aU1GxyYuU/edit?usp=sharing
d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Undead
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for all autists kill yourselves, shut up about whether or not to have muh lethality

I recently bought the Pathfinder Pawns box 4 for about $17 at a local game shop, and am wondering if the Pawns box 3 is worth it at $20.

I don't have very many miniatures so I'm trying to broaden what I have, using pawns to represent lots of different things, and I don't have a big budget for lots of miniatures. Unfortunately they only have box 3, no NPC codex or Box 1, which would give me the broadest range as far as basic monsters go.

Anyways, anyone have the Box 3? Any good? Box 4 is awesome, Godzilla and Cthulu in one box, hard to go wrong.

>Buying Pathfinder shit
user, no.

Look in the OP. Make paper miniatures. Use tokens. Use virtual tabletops.

E6 Mythic Gestalt game, fellas. Knowing in advance there are many many many ways to make such a game explode, and aside from capping Mythic ranks and such, what are the best quick-and-dirty limits for Mythic?

I know it's an inherently broken bungle et cetera et cetera Mythic cloudkill, I'm not asking for the miracle of balance, just some mitigation. Cap how much mystic power you can spend? Anything else?

Why has /pfg/ been so full of shit posting this past week?

Paid shitposters and shills, or some forum found the board and is trying to 'raid'.

Which is better, a flavorful fighting style (guns, throwing, unarmed) or a functional one (two-handed, archery)?

Is it wrong to reflavor something like archery to be a gun if you could do it in-system through alternate means?

The DM's Guild for 5th Edition is spinning up, so most of the "muh meaningless trap options" freaks are migrating to a system that actually rewards their experiments. Those were the last actual players on /pfg/.

Was thinking of making my own miniatures, however with the thick cardstock and it only being like $20 for 300 or so monsters made it seem worth it.

Also the mega link in the OP doesn't have the Bestiary boxes in it, so I couldn't make my own from 3.

I appreciate the suggestions though. I like miniatures better than tokens, helps me keep track of things and looks better.

I'd buy it. The LGS's already given Paizo money for it, you're just supporting your store. The pawn boxes are actually pretty useful, I have Bestiary Box 1 and Iron Gods box.

Function, but

>reflavor

Do this. Just say your bow is a rifle.

Give it only to martials, never to casters.

Hey /pfg/ I'm working on a luchador class and was hoping to get some feedback from you guys. I'm trying to make a tough combat support who can lock down enemies and control the battlefield. Here is a link docs.google.com/document/d/1PuHwR9uNL9zL2AGqUhYzOd47IJb22l1IK4aU1GxyYuU/edit?usp=sharing Let me know what you think.

I see
>jumps into escape pod and sets co-ordinates for symbaroum

Reddit already told you it wasn't good. Do you think people here will be any dumber?

>Dumber than reddit
IMPOSSIBRU

I think it's shit but I'll be sure to correct your oppressive pronouns for you.

Why does having high strength boost my rifles damage?

Because pulling the trigger harder makes the primer go boom better, of course.

Obviously it helps you pack more powder in tighter

The biggest issue with Mythic frankly is that it makes Schrodinger's Wizard a reality. Also Amazing Initiative, while a cool concept, can be a massive pain in the ass to deal with. Getting a proper scale for measuring Mythic is nigh impossible since you have weak shit like Mythic Alertness, and then there's goddam Wild Arcana. While Mythic has one or two neat toys for martial characters in addition to mechanics that actually make them reasonable functional, it simply filates casters to no end.

Mythic can be a barrel of fun, but it requires a lot of diligence on the GM's part to sculpt encounters for their players that are both fair and challenging. I can probably dig up a few examples used in the game I'm playing in, but it may take a while to get a few good examples out the gate. However, I really wouldn't recommend Mythic either way unless you're that bored and have a really solid grasp/feel of what you're doing.

>want to make racial archetype for kitsune be all about the racial magic and magical tails
>the magical tail feat is locked to specific SLAs, all of which are only 2/day
>Fuck that noise, time to remake that shit

What are some good spells of the Illusion, Enchantment, and Necromancy schools to use as abilities?

Then how come it stops hitting hard if i hand it someone not as strong if I load it?

Why isn't my ammunition ruined by water?

Or spell that fuck with gunpowder?

How come the guy who took Weapon Focus:Longbow gets a bonus when using my rifle?

Why don't I have a buckshot option for my blunderbuss?

Why is my gun so quiet when I didn'[t modify it?

How come I'm so good with a Long Bow despite literally never having touched one.

Because your DM is stupid and didn't patch those rule holes

Take a look at the beguiler spell list for the first two.

Since it's the "composite" bonus you've grabbed, your higher strength allows you to handle a slightly larger caliber and/or +P rounds with the same ease as a weaker person could use a normal weapon.

But we're just re-flavoring user, just like how the Wizards clockwork familiar can still be poisoned, dominated, sneak attacked, bleed out, be unaffected by shit that affects constructs, and can't be healed with repair skills.

It's almost like re flavoring shit falls apart the moment you get into things that really should be functionally different and that it's a terrible argument that /pfg/ should stop using.

look, if you don't like the arguments, just reflavor them.

Better question is what happened to make you so autistic?
Was it those aids injections you had as a kid?

Early Firearms are now the Bows.

BAM.
Not only does it make more sense because of how long and difficult archery was to learn, but there's now actual reason for them to have eventually been replaced.

Flavour _always_ takes a backseat to mechanics.

Why do I fight at full strength until I drop unconscious?

Why can my rogue strike at the vital organs of a skeleton?

Gaming abstractions and rules holes exist, and you can either address them and rip yourself out of the story, or you can work around them and call it a day.

(In this case, I would give guns bow mechanics, and just say that anything that specifically refers to bows has a duplicate version that specifically refers to guns. No interop, being good at bows doesn't make you good at guns, and being good at guns doesn't make you good at bows. There's still some weirdness, but it's of the "easily avoided if the player isn't an autistic prick" variety.)

That still requires every gun user to be Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's a poor fit.

So is Paizo a shit company? I haven't been DM'ing very long, just playing as a player in games so I haven't really encountered them much.

Unfortunate... but fact.
In many systems, and Pathfinder is a prime example, the fluff finds itself fighting the mechanics at every step.

And it can't win.

Much like the social, awareness, thrown and other charms made Exalted's 'Usurpation' impossible in 2nd edition, Guns taking over can't happen in Pathfinder (even at 10% "guns everywhere" it's more expensive than a longbow, no easier to learn, still weaker, and, because of the crafting rules, still harder and longer to craft!)

Likewise, commoners being in charge of kingdoms when every two-bit faction at *least* has charm-person on hand...

The more you have to fight the mechanics, the more handwaving, excuses and holes you end up with.

Doesn't archery really only pull ahead of guns when iterative and multi shot come online?

Alright, so, imagine the most stereotypical Tumblr user you can come up with.

Paizo keeps firing their good writers and hiring those in their place, leading to shit like random transgender people shoehorned in everywhere, lamenting the aching struggle of being trans in a world where it costs like 400gp to make an item that changes an infinite number of people's genders permanently, or at worst, a low-DC alchemy check to make a free item that changes it temporarily.

They're pretty vocal in their disdain, hate even, for the audience, the hobby, men, white people, and so on.

When one of the tiny handful of good authors left manages to put together something actually worthwhile, 99% of the time, the guy in charge chops chunks off of it to squeeze in more of his useless overpowered shit.

So why then it a bow faster and more damaging than a gun, let alone a revolver

Actually, at Guns Everywhere, they're Simple weapons, which means even a commoner with their one measly simple proficiency can know how to fire a gun.

>Make a Cavalier to join a campaign
>Can deal 3d6+12 damage on a Challenged target and charging, at a bonus of +12 at Level 4
>Have to create an entire companion for my horse
>Order of the Hammer characterizes my character and allows him to fistfight
>All of this and the only backstory my Cavalier has is that his name is Edward
Holy shit, does Pathfinder always have this much shit in chargen?

Oh.

There are like 4 transgendered characters.

>When one of the tiny handful of good authors left manages to put together something actually worthwhile, 99% of the time, the guy in charge chops chunks off of it to squeeze in more of his useless overpowered shit.

Hey now, that's not fair.

You've got a 50/50 crapshoot between it being overpowered or underpowered shit.

And we have wizards who rip open portals to different dimensions.

I fail to see how guys that use guns needing to be strong is the thing you take issue with due to realism

But because one thing being bad doesn't excuse everything being bad. Not everything needs to be realistic, but should at least try to make sense and gun users needing to be strong shits on other character concepts involving guns.

Actually, vs Early firearms it pulls ahead with an earlier rapid-shot and 12 or 14 strength. Soon as you have both, you'll always be ahead of the curve.

Without Gunslinger 5 (and archers don't need to be gunslinger 5) the gap widens quickly and brutally as stat items start to appear.

Then someone gets manyshot while the other guy has to buy rapid-reload just to be able to get his iterative shot. By this point even hitting against Touch-AC does not compensate despite its increasing value accuracy-wise.

Eventually, the various Bow-Only magic items come into play as well.

The entire time, despite being a small factor at any given moment, there has also been another compounding issue: the base weapon has been and remains more expensive, and the ammunition is equal to dozens of arrows every single shot. By the time you can afford infinite ammunition (harder to get/do than with bows, and more expensive as usual) you *are* probably 1-2k (more if you get an advanced firearm) behind the archer for that too.

To be more fair than the situation probably merits, the one-and-done sex-change elixir that really should mean any compassionate alchemist could easily treat every dysphoric individual seeking to transition easily isn't WBL "affordable" (ie, less than 50% of WBL) until level 7 for basic NPCs.

So yer low-level dirt farmers that are living off what they make on their Profession check each week probably can't afford the Elixir of Sex Shift, but on the other hand 2000 GP is a party favor for PCs and "heroic" NPCs alike so there really is no good reason why most adventurers or really anyone that's wealthy and trans in the setting hasn't knocked one back. Sharda presumably hasn't because she's assumed to be level 1, but by level 4 or so easy and perfect transition should be on the table for a paltry bit of her loot.

Hell, I slashed the price of the Elixir still further at my table, mostly because they explicitly point out the elixir has no mechanical benefits except negating that -2 to disguising yourself as the opposite gender and it allows the baseline assumption that in the game setting everyone can easily live as the gender they identify as rather than trying to preserve a struggle that wouldn't be a struggle in real life either if magic gender-change potions existed.

Then shift the composite damage bonus to a mental stat. We're changing the rules a bit so why not go a little farther. or just give them dex to damage.

And he will never afford one at the mere 10% of its usual cost.

I don't see what you're complaining about?

And since lots of monsters rely on armour bonuses rather than dexterity for their AC, it makes hectopeasant tactics more viable.

Who cares about the Elixir, the Elixir is literally pointless. The Girdle of Opposite Gender can be had for 200gp, or maybe it was 400gp, is an instantaneous permanent change with no downsides, and ISN'T consumable.

A couple hundred GP to solve every trans person's problem isn't much of a price.

If you somehow can't get hold of one of those belts, fine, thanks to Crystal, you can use Craft (Alchemy) and take 10 (as long as you don't have a penalty) to make a temporary sex change item. Just make a new one every week and you're set.

This, guns are handy for the masses and the level 1-3 smuch but not necessarily adventurers expected to murder fuck gods.

>I have no point to make, but I'm definitely mad about something and I'll be damned if I don't let everyone know.

I was thinking of running some sort city based campaign. How can I make my players feel attached to the city besides having them create there own reason for doing so in their backstory and developing relationships with NPC?

Low-level dirt farmers have more to worry about than not getting to be what gender they identify as. Like being attacked by an ooze monster that is larger than their entire hovel.

Alright /pfg/, I want ya'll to give me the scoop on Radience.
The entry on ArchiveNethys is kinda bare-bones, and I'd like to know a bit more since I'll be playing a Paladin in WotR, but I had already had plans for him to wield his ancestor's greataxe and bond with it in the future instead.
Seeing as I'm the only Paladin (the closest is the party's Harbinger, who'll probably be NG or CG), I want to be able to properly weigh my options, and see if it would be worth it to stick to the my axe instead for RP reasons, or if doing so would cause me to lose out on too great of a boon.

Most people can learn to love themselves as they are, or at least tolerate.

As loud as they may be, it's a very percentage of the population that wants to change genders.

And many of them probably have so many other larger worries - such as dirt farmers in orc-infested lands - that that particular "this is why I'm unhappy" probably never crossed their minds.

A Good GM should change loots to fit the party.

What?

Antipaladins are so fucking retarded, how many DMs do you think would say yes if you asked to play a character with antipaladin abilities but no assfucking code? Or even an antipaladin with Smite Law or Smite Chaos or even Smite Evil, instead of the default Smite Literally Nobody You'll Ever Fight Even In An Evil Campaign?

Guns Everywhere makes commoners an actual threat actually.
Wealth is not an issue, especially if these commoners were drafted as an army, meaning their weapons are bought for them.

Imagine your typical firing line.

You have 2 or 3 rows of gunners in the back. Two in reserves, loading or fixing their gun, while one of them fires, rotating their roles in concert. And then you got pikemen at the front to protect the gunners at the rear.

Mechanically speaking from a gameplay POV:
You have a row of commoners capable of dealing damage by ignoring your AC.
You cannot make a charge attack against those gunners because you'd be poked by a Brace weapon.
Take note Brace weapons are very effective against charging opponents (-2 AC) and against horsemen (Unless your mount is wearing heavy armor or you have an insanely high ride bonus)

And don't bring in the casters argument either. Those guys are more likely to get shredded by firearms because their go-to spell against arrows don't work against shot.

What part is confusing you?

Its not the loot part that is the problem, it's that I don't want to trade out my family's heirloom axe.
Unless you are suggesting the DM should homerule that it works for the Harbinger instead, in which case I could try to ask him to homerule that, since he's okay with DSP, he should also be cool with that homerule.

TYRANT
Y
R
A
N
T

I tell anyone who picks a Paladin to come up with a strongly-held moral code/crusade for their character, show it to me, and then pick their own alignment and whatever they want from Paladin and anti-Paladin features at each level as long as they can justify it. No further restrictions - even a LG Paladin can tell me they need Smite Good if they're a character dedicated to correcting a faltering church (in their view) or something. Or training to save heaven from Iomedae.

But I think of classes more as approximate representations of a character concept and not the definitions of their character, which I'm not saying is normal or even better, just the way I go.

Rather the main magical counter to these would be a simple flame-orb or fireball.

Here's the problem though.
If we follow these same mechanics: For every musket, you can have three heavy crossbowmen, who can start firing at three times the distance, and where the vs-touch-AC only finally comes into play in the last volley before melee (within 40ft); which is 1/3 the base range increment of the crossbow. The ammunition is cheaper still, of course; even with guns everywhere, less than 10% of a single bullet and powder charge for 10 bolts.

If you don't mind having somewhat shorter range, you could have 4 LIGHT crossbows with enough ammunition to keep them all supplied for the cost of every single unloaded musket. These have 80ft instead, but that's a *lot* of peasants. These can fire every round though. For peasants, that's twice the RoF!

At this point if you're looking at it from a "budget" rather than "individual" point of view, the crossbows are cheaper, faster to craft, less vulnerable to bad weather (not much better IN bad weather but the powder won't cake and be ruined), and more dangerous at all but "they're impaled on our pikes" range.

> touch ac
You can still dodge those bullet yo!

Common have 10 DEX with no precise shot. Anyone with decent DEX (+3 or +4) and 3 rank in Acrobatic can Total Defense (+6 Dodge AC) and walkthrough that shit.

Don't worry about the touch-AC. It gets used maybe once, and if it gets a second shot it's against things already being skewered.

A musket's touch-AC range is 40 feet. -5ft per row of pikemen, -5ft per gun line in front of yours as well.

A very thin pike hedge might be only two deep, so that's 30/25/20ft for the guns to touch.

Remember that +4 dex isn't 'decent'.

+4 Dex is an unbelievably agile person.

Secondly, three ranks means having at least three levels, and having put ranks into acrobatics means this guy isn't just agile, he's specifically trained to be as dodgy as possible.

Also, you don't know the commoner has 10 dex. They could quite easily have 12 dex. And fat lot of good this guy's doing if he's spending all his standards on defending himself.

>Rather the main magical counter to these would be a simple flame-orb or fireball.

if you're bringing artillery into the equation, then the other side gets the same treatment and have their own magical artillery as well.

If not, a swift horse cavalry will still make short work of your casters from the flanks while the martials are being skewered out in front.

And +4 AC to target because row of pikeman give soft cover

Personallu, I've always felt that guns targeting Touch AC was kinda dumb, especially since Fullplate was invented afterwards and "Bullet-Proof" plate was very much a thing.
Maybe it should have targeted Flat-Foot AC instead, or maybe just be made completely different.

+3-4 dex isn't in the npc array.

Well presumably, the magic-users are what's being defended by these pike/gun lines.

Cover only applies if the cover is closer to your target than you. The gun guys are RIGHT behind them.

She tries new and exciting blends of coffee and poisons.

TFW still no game.

Read it over, did some suggestions which you saw. I actually kinda like it. I suggest some more armor-like bonuses, since it's losing out on armor- that or give the extra Second Wind abilities as part of regular progression. Not sure. It's not spectacular, but it's playable, and especially interesting as a one-level dip.

No, was just explaining that if there is a mage facing that kind of grouped bunch, he should just nuke'em rather than laugh at them from behind a wind wall.

I'm bored and tempted to start making more characters that I'll never play! What are some classes or concepts I should look up? 3rd party, first party, homebrew are all open game!

Consider the caliber of people you've got to work with. To be able to nuke that emplacement, the mage has to have a good amount of levels on those guys. And he can do it maybe once or twice, then he's tapped for the day and may as well go home.

Eldrich Scion Magus, try dipping a level into some other charisma-based classes like Swash or Sorc, see if you can do anything interesting.

more like assfinder

My Hunter can wipe out those guys with less effort and level than a fireball.

Just gotta take my Roc up above and beyond firing range and drop Feather Token: Trees on them.

Hmm paladin 2 would give good saves, eldritch scion has issues with not getting spell recall or something, right?

It'll apply when they're engaged in melee.
It'll also apply at range if they're behind non-halfling pikemen: Partial cover at the least.

Are Undead immune to morale bonuses? Or is it just negative morale effects?

I-i'm not asking for any particular reason... rattle rattle

You could try making a vigilante warlock

Yeah, no spell recall, but being Cha-based and Spon-casting make it really flexible both for multiclassing and for general purpose stuff

both.

>Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms).

d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/creature-types#TOC-Undead

Be an Archivist bard

Any Idea's for a Party face who does decent in combat no 3rd party stuff.

Be an Empiricist Investigator with Student of Philosophy to make Diplomacy pure Int

Source? Because I don't think that is how cover rule work.

In melee you only get the -4 for shooting into melee.

And you have to be CLOSER to the cover than the person shooting you to get it. If they're either side of the guy in between them, that's equal distance.

> Creatures, even your enemies, can provide you with cover against ranged attacks, giving you a +4 bonus to AC. However, such soft cover provides no bonus on Reflex saves, nor does soft cover allow you to make a Stealth check.

Pikeman provide cover.

> To determine whether your target has cover from your ranged attack, choose a corner of your square. If any line from this corner to any corner of the target's square passes through a square or border that blocks line of effect or provides cover, or through a square occupied by a creature, the target has cover (+4 to AC).

Nothing about your "having to be closer" thingy. As long as the pikeman is blocking your LoS, your target get softcover. Don't bring your houserule into conversation.

Cover is determine by the attacker's LoS/LoE not the target.

which book is the source for Student of Philosophy?

Pathfinder Player Companion: Quests & Campaigns © 2013, Paizo Publishing, LLC; Authors: Amanda Hamon and David N. Ross.

It depends if the DM rules the pikemen are counting as low cover.

"A low obstacle (such as a wall no higher than half your height) provides cover, but only to creatures within 30 feet (6 squares) of it. The attacker can ignore the cover if he's closer to the obstacle than his target."

So you can shoot over a guy in a crouch with no issues.

You can also consider Bruising Intellect, to get intimidate off int. Unfortunately, RAW you can't get both because they're social traits.

You can't quite get every mental skill to key off int, but you can get alarmingly close.

Does Greater Unarmed Strike from PoW benefit at all from a Monk's Robe? Is there other sources of making unarmed damage scale up that I could use if it doesn't?