EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL

Mono black edition.

Previous
RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
magiccards.info

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sydri-of-the-confusing-convoluted-combo-deck/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zedruu-jank-no-more/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ezuri-counters-of-progress-1/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/204260-the-stax-primer
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-the-cutemost/
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/597109-azami-lady-of-scolls-knowledge-is-power
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/561850-selvala-she-has-returned
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for Chainer, king of monoblack.

Fugg these guys both look really fun to play

>tfw you have both but don't like chainer at all

>Online store is selling Journey into Nyx cheaper than cost of two boosters - it's gambling time
>Only Fates Foreseen left
>Be a BW player buy gf is mainly UR so buy her one to just for fun inb4 intros are shit - yeah, they are but it's still a pretty much fun to play with them
>"user, it's nice of you - take my boosters"
>"Ok, but If I pull Keranos, you have to play EDH"
>Mfw I have no face when pic related from her second booster
Shiet, Anons - what is the best way to run this fucker on budget?

>Want to make a deck around my favorite Legend: Endrek Sahr
>Don't really have enough good cards to make him work
>Think of going Lizolda, the Blood Witch in stead
>Same
>Maybe I should go with Kresh, the Bloodbraided?
>See how far I've strayed from my original idea
>Cut everything back to mono-B

I've gone through this cycle 3 times now, send help.

>send money
ftfy

>my favorite Legend: Endrek Sahr
user why

MLD Stax. Brutal but effective. Otherwise you really can do whatever with him, he's pretty versatile.

r8 h8 appreci8

I've recently cleared up a few flex slots in zedruu, so I'm looking for janky enchantments or enchantment control stuff.

Post Sydri and Zedruu lists

would I be wrong for switching to pic related?
either one could easily grab the other from a graveyard, and I currently run both

I like to suffer

The spicy help is on the way, user.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/sydri-of-the-confusing-convoluted-combo-deck/

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/zedruu-jank-no-more/

They're both somewhat outdated but you get the general idea as it were

Don't forget Haakon for unlimited, exile-free Unearths.

Why is this not red?

Making copies is more blue than red

Red has a bunch of copy cards

It doesn't have haste, nor does it come in tapped and attacking. So presumably it's more for copying an opponent's creature and killing it when it attacks on their turn

Secret tech for Endrek: Assault Suit. You can just choose not to pass him around and never have to sac him. Spit out Thrulls all day with no downside.

>mfw kaladesh legendary artificer is blue / anus and it's abillity is mostly related to new artifact creatures with devoid

Thanks guys, appreciate the help!
I also found Spawning Pit, to get rid of excess Thrulls.

user that wouldn't work. Once someone hits 7 Thrulls they'd have to sacrifice Endrek, but they can't because of Assault Suit, so the ability just triggers infinitely and the game never ends

>mfw Eldrazi Moon will have a legal Emrakul

I would be fucking pissed

Dear mono red players, what's your favorite way to draw cards?

Daretti. I fucking love discard two mountains draw two mountains.

What a coincidence, I just helped a friend build a Jor Kadeen Myr tribal as his first edh deck.

No.

Wheels and looting

Artifacts and Daretti are good too

That "exile -play until end of turn" mechanic sucks

Yes, actually. Unless you can pay a cost that sacs enough thrulls to put you to less than seven, the trigger will just keep going off. Check the gatherer rulings.

I wonder if they played around a little more with the exile-play thing it could be better. Something like exiling more cards at once but not playing all of them.

Yep

Unless you can bring it down to less than 7 Thrulls at instant speed in response to the trigger, it will go off forever

just stick with conspiracy, works better than assault armor

If you could add one color to a mono-colored Legendary creature, what would you do?

All this talk about Endrek Sahr made me think he'd fit pretty well in WB.

I have only played MTG online so far. What's the real MTG playbase like?

Pizza-faced Autistic Turbovirgins.

Well yeah, you need an out for the Thrulls or the game ends in a draw. Still saves you from needing to sac and recast your commander every other turn.

Wow, sounds like you have some seriously shit-tier local game stores.

Nefarox might make a fun Voltron general if he had White.

Godo would be rad in Boros. He'd be cooler if he was (not that he isn't anyway). Both colors for Samurai, two of the better artifact colors, lots more access to instant-speed removal

You know how you can imagine the worst about people online when you don't have to see them face to face. How you can imagine their self serving thought process through the filtered pure and direct information you get with an electronic medium?

If you've ever thought the worst about someone then just do that, but multiply it several times over. Only then will you have something approaching a standard magic player in real life.

Plus they have all the cards you can't afford.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/ezuri-counters-of-progress-1/

R8?

So identical to the MtGO playerbase but you have to look at them

Ezuri/10. Not doing anything wrong but not really bringing anything new and exciting to the table.

Different user here.
>want to run this combo in current Endrek
>don't believe anons
>look it up myself
>holy shit infinite loops with no close draw the game
Welp. I don't know what I was expecting.

Been out the card game circuit for a while now. There was a Game of Thrones card game I played a few years back where a certain deck archetype was all about resource denial: either lowering the opponent's resources to the point of making it impossible for them to play stuff, while keeping your own stuff cheap and playable, or outright stealing resources from other players to use as your own.

Is there anything that can do this in MTG/EDH? It was the biggest asshole deck in the format and it was rewarding as fuck to play. Really tough to pilot well and really fun

You could probably go down a few lands. Night Soil is pretty spicy though, gonna steal this idea for my own deck

Yes. That style of deck is quite possible in MtG. It is somewhat more difficult to pull off in EDH due to it's generally multiplayer focus but can still be done well.

This link should provide you with most of what you'll need to get started.

mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/204260-the-stax-primer

In M:tG it's called Stax. Stax is a polarizing strategy in some social circles because it's an example of one of the ways you can "break" EDH. EDH is wide open and the banlist is not intended to prevent every possible dick move like the way banlists from competitive formats are made. It's unquestionably effective in high-power games provided you don't get hated out.

grand arbiter, Augustus
I hope you die in a horrible car accident on your way to buy it.
jk

I actually like the assault suit idea as a way to force people to not cast spells lest they make the game a draw.

Sure there's going to be the duckweed that does anyway but a way in mono black to stop people from casting creatures is cute

Wheels are the best way to go besides Skull Clamp, which is easy to fuel with things like Kher Keep and Trading Post.

I've actually had pretty good experiences with the exile mechanic, particularly with Chandra/Outpost Siege. However, Commune with Lava is really good because it's until your NEXT turn.

>Mikaeus as my Commander
>local league starts today
>points system punishes infinite combos
I tend to play a control match and finish with some sort if drain and gain. What does Veeky Forums recommend for the deck to help me win without an infinite combo?

Let me guess - you want R/U artificer?

Yes

I know it's going to be underwhelming but the colors are my two favorites. Plus a proper RU artificer would be nice and not Jhoira

Gary and Kokopuff recursion seems like the best way to win without infinites. That said, you might just be better off going for a different commander and moving Mike to the 99 if you're just using him for value and not trying to go infinite.

Slap it on Zegana or E.Wit, man this card can be value I swear.

Oh yeah this looks like my shit. Choke (as it was known in AGOT) played really similar to this, and when you got going it was almost impossible to get out from. Gonna build this and draw a giant target right on my forehead when I bust it out.

Sry bb but I'm going in dry

Make Zada R/G or R/W so I can actually play funner spells.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anafenza-the-cutemost/

Anything I should add? I asked last thread and got a few good suggestions for wincons. Does this Abzan Goodstuff have good enough stuff? I might add Midnight Guard+Presence of Gond Combo for the sake of it, but I'm not sure that's even good enough to add.

I want it to, to be honest but
>Fire magic is strictly banned, and pyromancy punishable with a death sentence.

I have those two but you have a point. It's a recursion deck that is surprisingly hard to win with without Triskelion.

There were red artificers in Origins though. That one uncommon that gave artifact creatures haste was red and pretty good

Red isn't just fire. It's also passion and invention. Kaladesh is ripe for red creatures that show other sides to the color. Stuff like Felden of the Third Path

Maybe try mono Sidisi in the command slot instead. She can get you Mikaeus on curve if he's what you want, but lets you build more of a toolbox deck. Also she works great with recursion herself.

I made this almost exact same deck with the same support of +1/+1 counters and its really slow and easy to kill you may want stuff like fleece-mane lion and stuff like rootborn defenses and Golgari charm to keep your board safe from wraths.

Is there a way to reliably flicker Hokori during your turn so you can untap all your lands, then bring him back EOT to affect the board again?

Ah, golgari charm! I knew i was forgetting something obvious. Thank you for reminding me! Fleecemane Lion seems like a really solid option, too. Thanks! Does anything stand out as prime material to be cut out? I'm having a hard time seeing what is sub-par for the general strategy.

Eldrazi Displacer?

Doesn't work. Hokori will always be present for his ability to trigger.
Something that keeps things gone till end of turn would work though.

Fuck me running but you are right. Still, imo artifact creatures with devoid would be interesting

Unburial Rites is better than Zombify, I believe.
The same goes for Ambition's cost, unless you think opponent losing 3 life from Harrowing Journey would matter.

Roon might be your best bet, but I'm assuming you want Hokori as your general

Skybind could probably work if you're running some pillowfort-y stuff

My bad, misread Displacer. Try Flickerform then.

'walker Venser is entirely capable of this. Shame that there aren't many effects that have a delayed return on the flicker, but I imagine it'd be incredibly easy to abuse if they did

Ah, right. Ambition's Cost is much better. Unburial Rites too. Maybe add Entomb and something like Dread Return, to create a secondary Reanimator strategy that's easier to set up.

>Not wanting a red/white artificer

Daghatar is pretty mana intensive not always worth it, you could prob use forgotten ancient in that spot it that's what you want. You could prob run varolz instead of deadbridge Goliath if you really want to scavenge. I'm trying to keep this budget for ya since you I imagine you don't wanna spend much but you could use a scavenging ooze and green sun. Theirs so much you can do with Ana tho so do you man she's fucking hype I'm rebuilding her again myself .

If I sac with ashnods altar, that goes on the stack and someone uses path to exile in response, can I just trigger ashnods again to put it on the stack again to keep my creature from getting exiled or do I need a different sac outlet trigger

You sac your creature as a part of the cost, so it's impossible to respond.

Sac is part of the cost, by the time they get priority the creature is already dead.

Actually, I'm running one as pauper EDH commander

How well does it work?

Still working on it and making some changes but it's mainly everything with affinity for artifacts/plains, metalcraft etc

Do you run Atog?

That sounds like stax

And if you're completely new to EDH, stax might not be the best way to start. You'll draw immense hate for it. But go for it if that's what you really want to build

Nope - I want to use only "recent" cards because I will probably want to buy this deck on paper and local stores has not this old sets

>GJ Choke
>biggest asshole deck
>implying Martell Bloodthirst wasn't a million types worse

Also, as a general rule; mana abilities can't be responded to.

Targeted Cantrips

With a shitty rule like that I'm gonna assume it's a very casual meta. Personally I'd still use triskelion, but I wouldn't go infinite. Remove all the counters pinging things, then use him as a chump blocker. Or use him with limited sac outlets like High Market and Vampiric Rites. It's still tons of value, you just don't combo out. If anyone calls you on that shit you could act like you had no idea it could be infinite in the first place.

Expedite becomes "R: Creatures you control gain Haste. Draw cards equal to the number of creatures you control."

My Shu Yun deck has the same problem that your Atarka deck has but I enjoy it anyway

It varies. I've generally had good experiences with people I've met at LGSs and GPs albeit they're usually a bit spergy

Use this as a death-or-glory finisher

I personally don't like Tears for 2 reasons:
1) Fatal Frenzy is better with Zada, since it's cheaper, gives trample, and is harder to counter
2) On it's own Tears is a smaller pump than the rest of my spells, giving somewhere between 1 and 4 power. If I had other pump spells and the mana to use them along with Tears it just seems like a winmore spell with a huge downside should they have a fog. Compare it to overblaze, which is the same CMC, has splice (if your build can take advantage of it it's surprisingly relevant), does effectively the same thing with zada out, and has no downside.

Do you guys think Momir Big would be good in Newzuri. I feel like he'd be great..

Hokori stax: Y/N? That effect is crazy but mono-white is weak on its own

simic +1/+1 counters is on its way boys

What would be the best premade edh deck to pick up as my first? I generally like playing control, namely white/blue, but am open to try anything fun.

From my rather minimal experience playing I believe that I would want to build towards
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/597109-azami-lady-of-scolls-knowledge-is-power
or
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh/multiplayer-commander-decklists/561850-selvala-she-has-returned

though im open to any suggestions.