Hey there Veeky Forums I'm bored so I started looking for real-world places that sound like they should be found in...

Hey there Veeky Forums I'm bored so I started looking for real-world places that sound like they should be found in Veeky Forums related materials. Bonus points for cool backstory.

Here's a couple to get started:

Lichfield: name translates literally as "field of bodies/ the dead" legend has it that 1000 villagers were massacred here for reasons unknown

Isle of Wight: random island stuffed to the gills with high-level undead beasties, dungeons, loot and, bizzarley, a sailing competition

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unusual_articles#Places_and_infrastructure
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cat's Ash, (Wales) where after the burning of witch has a disturbing increase of black cats...
When someone tries and kills one, it dissapears in a puff of smoke and leaves ashes behind.

There is actually a field in england called "battle".

It was used as a place to perform tournaments during the medieval period and It is said that when english knights challenged each other to combat "on the field of battle" they were specifically referring to that one field.

Aokigahara, a forest in Japan where a lot of people commit suicide

Oh wait the back stories were suppose to be real...
Xolocinitil.

Suicide Forest is a pretty apt name.

Black Mountain, also known as Kalkajaka, "place of the spear'. Nickname is "Mountain of Death".

>it resembled a lump of coal, left by a gigantic dump truck in the midst of the vast green expanse of trees. Only this 'pile' was almost two miles (over three kilometers) long, and what looked like pieces of coal were in reality great black boulders, up to 20 feet (over six meters) long.

>full of chasms that go down to unsounded depths.

>There have been numerous accounts of mysterious disappearances of people and animals in the Black Mountain. The first documented disappearance, involving European Settlers, occurred in 1877. Since then, there have been many cases of people, horses and even herds of cattle disappearing within its many crevices, caverns, caves and rock formations, never to be seen again.

>The rocks give off a curious metallic ring when struck.

>These rocks can become extremely hot. Colder rains falling on the dark, heated granite boulders causes the boulders to progressively fracture, break, and slowly disintegrate, sometimes explosively.

>The only living things there are black rock wallabies and enormous pythons 16 feet or more long and able to swallow a wallaby whole. The ridge is honeycombed with caves, nearly all unexplored.

>Another strange thing about the black mountains is that a creature is said to be lurking within. Described as being cat-like it has been spotted clambering over the boulders on quite a few occasions. Now dubbed the Queensland Tiger this beast is attributed to the cattle mauling and disappearances within the vicinity.

>"Towards the summit of the ridge we heard a deafening noise set up by countless frogs: this fact indicated the existence of water among the boulders at no great depth below the surface."

>pilots report aircraft turbulence and magnetic effects over Black Mountain (thermal currents), and people have reported loud bangs (cracking boulders) and mournful cries (wind and water through the caves).

Phoenix. Just like the American equivalent, it's hot as fuck, in the middle of the desert, and getting hotter. An ancient city, Phoenix has been around since before recorded history in some form. No one is sure how old it is. Every 1000 years the heat cycle resets in a blast of flame originating from the city center, decimating everything and leaving behind miles of lush fields.

I live in "The Black Country" which is in the West Midlands of England.

It's literally the place that inspired Mordor.

Industrialization was pretty heavy here round Tolkein's time.

India IS a cyberpunk setting. Brazil too.

>Brazil too.
How so?

Mano, agora vocĂȘ vai ter que me explicar essa.

>Mfw I went to Army Training Regiment Lichfield
>Mfw I thought the same thing
>Mfw I was smoking outside the barracks one night and heard a long groan
>Thought it was a Lich
>Turns out one of the new guys was suffering an appendicitis and nearly died looking for the med center
>Mfw I still suspect a lich.

I think about this every time I drive to or through Lichfield, to be honest

>Newcastle, Wallsend
>Hadrian's Wall not built to keep out the Picts and inbred, ginger Scotsmen
>Was built to contain Hadrian who went mad in Caladonia and turned to slaughtered all his men
>The Wall was built hastily to prevent him returning to Rome and ruling the Empire due to his horrific fear of water.
>The Ninth Legio Victrix that was lost in Scotland was turn apart by Hadrian alone as a way to stall him.

oh hey Lawec

As an inbred, ginger Scot, this is awesome.

Dun Schathaich: the Fortress of Shadows. Standing on the mist-shrouded Winged Isle it is reputably the home of a warrior witch who slew so many gods, heroes and monsters that death itself was afraid to take her. Some ven say she slew death and became the new goddess of the dead.

I'm not even making it up, I grew up a dozen miles from this place.

You must take The Ring back whence it came. To the darkest region of Middle Earth, the surface Hell, the cesspit of the world... Coventry.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Unusual_articles#Places_and_infrastructure

Pictured: Coober Pedy, literally a mining town where it's so hot outside that people live in caves.

Tsingy National Parks in Madagascar. Translated as "Forest of Knives" the two Tsingy areas contain 70 meter tall spures of jagged, razor sharp limestone that shred safety gear as easily as flesh. It's easy to get lost in, and the south area (covering 666 sq. km) is accessible only by helicopter. On top of that, the whole of Tsingy sits above what may be the largest cave system on Earth, almost entirely unexplored.

This place is scary as fuck. Even Aboriginal trackers and people who knew the outback really well disappeared into that place and never came back.

Ok, no way those places don't have gaunts, shoggoths or some lovecraftian nightmare.

is the new protagonist that will go mad when he pokes at the unknown.

Combine them all together.

On the Winged Isle there stands a labyrinth of stone razors that stab the sky, hiding the Spear Mountain at the heart of the jagged maze. Atop the mountain stands the Fortress of Shadows and a single, cursed man, doomed from birth and now possessed by an ancient warrior hag, seeking an opponent more worthy than Death itself.

Having banged a couple of the local Lichfield girls, I can say the name is quite apt too.

Jokes on you though, I'm a Geordie, I've drank my brain in to a state ot moderare, albeit semi-permanent, torpor.

Cripple Creek, Colorado.

It lies in the highlands of the Colorado mountains, It's been abandoned, rediscovered, claimed to be haunted, built on a Native American burial ground, 90% of the buildings were built 100+ years ago, and the only way in and out of the town is via a 80 year old steam engine.

>Ireland
>Scattered around the countryside are the remains of old Celtic forts
>The wooden stakes rotted and now trees grow from where they once stood
>This created large rings of trees in the middle of nowhere
>Farmers don't cut them down as a whole load of shit will go down if you do
>Stories of fields becoming barren, milk souring, windows being broken after the "Fairy fort" is destroyed

>The ring-woods are made to contain the rampaging sprits that the Sidhe bound, should they be released heavy industrialization will follow.

>I've drank my brain in to a state ot moderare, albeit semi-permanent, torpor.

That just means you'll last longer, building up insanity until it bursts like squid ink from your orifices.

Cthulhu wants your bodily fluids user. Lacing them with alcohol won't stop IT from claiming what's HIS.

See this, a lovely little stream in the north of England?
Looks nice, right?

No-one who has fallen in has survived

This innocent-looking brook is basically what happens when a river flips on its side, going from about 60 to 6 feet wide as the path of the river abruptly goes into a rocky gorge.
No-one knows how deep it is, thanks to undercurrents and fast swirling flow, courtesy caverns, rock formations and pockets that hold a huge amount of water, which make it impossible to measure.

Add undercut banks, slippery rocks and the fact that it looks just about narrow enough to leap or stride across, and it's pretty damn dangerous.
There's a fair number of unrecoverable corpses pressed against the walls by rushing water in the lightless tunnels beneath the Strid

Tom Scott pls go