/wip/ - Painting - Converting - Modeling - General

OP has a question Edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
[YouTube] Build A Light Box On The Cheap, Take Gorgeous Photos!

>How to Moldlines
[YouTube] Removing mold lines from models

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
[YouTube] How to Magnetize a Tyranid Carnifex
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Ventilate, motherfucker
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
youtube.com/watch?v=aEQM9sbQ4fk
youtube.com/watch?v=PEmqJBcQ2lg
santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.co.nz/2008/01/how-to-make-simple-rivets-with-pva-glue.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I need some help wip.

I'm converting a heavy weapon team but I am unsure about the pose for this guy. I want him to look like he just sighted an enemy and is yelling to the other guy but I just don't know about the position of his hand over his chest like that. Thoughts?

>OP has a question Edition

So... what's yer question, and what the hell happened to the Youtube links in your OP, OP?

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo

>While the enemies of The Emperor still draw breath, there can be no peace.
youtube.com/watch?v=aEQM9sbQ4fk

Found this guy in a drawer and built him up, gonna go paint him
He looks very silly

>He looks very silly

Does not!

I guess it might be seconded edition syndrome

> Owning this many Wraithlords
> In 3rd Edition

You monster.

Yeah sorry I don't know if I have the current op saved so I just copied it from the other thread. Thank you for posting them.

>metal wraithlords
>all their arms have fallen off

Some serious nostalgia for playing at my old GW when I was 11 right here

Anyone have some good music that that they paint to? I'm cranking out an entire space wolf airforce + land raider for a friend and made pic related progress so far. Need some background noise to keep things going.

I like ambient electronica normally. Lots of Aphex Twin, Tycho, etc.

Although currently I'm painting to this...
youtube.com/watch?v=PEmqJBcQ2lg

Dude listen to Horus Heresy audio books. You can just download them online

now listening to Selected Ambient Works 85-92 from Aphex. smooth stuff. thanks user

castlevania-theme VC army underway, next update will be when I've finished the unit

>spend all day at work reading WIP, looking at pictures, reading guides
>get hyped up and can't wait to get home and get painting
>work finishes, I get home sit down at my desk and all my motivation is gone, and no longer can be bothered
>oh well I'll just fap I guess

Why is life so difficult

Posting and getting harsh criticism or no replies at all should be all the motivation you need.

I don't know if you have the space, but have all your paints and tools out and start to paint something. When you are finished for the day, don't put anything away, just leave it there or put it to the side. The next time you'll come home it will take 5 minutes to continue painting. I do this and it works.

Deadbolt OST
Risk of Rain OST
if you like them, listen to both albums' commentary. awesome

Has anyone converted the Khorne Bloodbound to 40k? I want to use them alongside my Khornate IG as Renegades and Heretics but Im at a bit of a loss as what to count everything as and what to add to them. I particularly want to use the Lord with the Flesh Hound but he seems beefy for a Demagogue and the Hound would end up being a fluff bit.

Have GW finally jumped the shark? It's a Hordes warbeast I've converted with wargames factory skeletons so I can double tap on the model for an army theme

perhaps he should have his gun shouldered or by his side and should be pointing at the target with his scope hand, while still holding it.

stop forcing this mini like its a gods gift to men

where should my hatch be?

middle or back and should it be centered or offset?

I was thinking back and offset to the side but I am not sure.

kv-2 is that you?

that is the intent.

KV 2, fighting for the Emperor for 38.16k years

is the tracks too much or do I need more gubbinz and other bits on my turret?

Is there a way you could add rivets?

I have never tried rivets, Do you know a way of making them?

I have now given my special wraithlord a pet

Tubes of plasticard, or use the end of Spears and cut them off very thin to make thin circles

What's the best way to thin paints?

No matter how much water I add, they never seem thin enough.

What technique are you using to thin? Are you thinning your paints on your palette or on your brush?

>buy pic related
>model has weird texture to base resin, rough and details obscured
>everything is warped, spend an hour trying to get stuff into position via dipping in boiling water
>fail
>spend another two and a half hours assembling rickety model and cleaning mould lines, slowly going insane
>Fuck it, lets just start it
>Missed at least half the mould lines
>Don't care, drunk robot gives no fucks

He's getting dunked, highlights, blue cores and then getting tossed in the cabinet. Worst god damned kit ever, and I have 4 more on the same chassis to do. And yes, the paints are thinned - that's one thin metal coat of a light spraying, you can see how the model surface was fucked to begin with.

GG Pirvateer Press

semen

GLORIOUS KV-2, STRONK TENK FOR EMPEROR!

best goddamn quality you are gonna find man.
Isn't there a way to get a refund? try looking into it instead of telling us.

Definitely wouldn't center it, if it was me. The guy standing there would get in the way of the breech, if it was. IMO, place it as far to one side of the turret as possible.

An (arguably) easier way would be to drill a hole where the rivet is going, glue in a short length of matching plastic rod, then file down to the correct height when dry. Preslicing rod sections is great for ork stuff, but anything else wants a bit more precision and plotting.

Eh, I got it sealed from a guy on Bartertown who apparently bought an army, then decided he didn't want it, so no way to get a refund.

Still gonna make the best of it, but it was damned irritating. If the other kits are as wonky, I might run with it a bit and build them as goofy as possible, then give them the best paintjob I can. Could be fun.

hi /wip/, i am trying here since it seemed like the best place, is there any major site to buy used minis in europe? Something like bartertown, the only thing i ound are minor forums which obviously dont have nearly enough choice unless you only look for warhammer

I will remember that.

How is this for hatch placement?
Also is the spot light on the gun too much and should I move the radio antenna to the back?

Hatch is perfect there, I think. As for the radio, it can work fine there, but if you're going to have a pintle mounted weapon, consider that if it were to rotate, it would probably hit it on the way. Moving it to the back would alleviate that problem.

The spotlight is adorable, I like it.

>try to paint mud onto mini's feet
>Makes it look like she's walking on marshmallows
This isn't even worth taking a picture of. Not going to strip, got two more and it's just enemy fodder anyways.

I need to work on my manual dexterity for dry brushing. I applied way too much force and smeared out water.

On my palette. Just adding watch to a bit of paint.

Just need to add banners and other details...

thanks, I will move the radio to the back.

like so

hi /wip/, i recently picked up some nurgle units (a plaguelord and some nurglings) and I'm thinking about a maggot-white flesh with red washes and details as a sort of albino colour, to avoid the typical green.

how hard is it to paint a really maggoty-white fleshtone, what citadel paints should I use, and is it difficult to do without it looking under-detailed?
I would appreciate any opinions, thanks

Give him a pistol or a free hand, the bayonetted up lasgun is too busy and could better be used on a model that isn't meant to be doing something entirely unrelated to a bayonetted up lasgun.

you could get a spare tank commander hand if you have a chimera/russ kit handy. the hands are meant to be resting on the tank hatch, but if you rotate it you can make it look like he's signalling a direction

I like it.

The robes look too dirty so I'll re-do them, and some other stuff needs to be fixed, but I like it.

nice, I was going to start on one of the older models you have in the back here, soon.

So new question. Which looks better Stormbolter or heavy stubber?

Also I now have a rear mounted lasgun on the turret. I'm getting soviet up in this bitch.

>nice, I was going to start on one of the older models you have in the back here, soon.

Now that Eldar Dreadnoughts can carry multiple big shootas without giving up an arm to do so, I should really think about recasting some left arms, heavy weapon exhaust vanes, and the double shoulder joiners if I ever want to rehabilitate those ladz.

Heavy Stubber looks better.

Mine has the arms and the rest of the stuff, but no guns. Figured it would just run around slapping things.

thats what I was thinking, so thanks

It should have a packed by number in the box. Contact PP and quote the number and the model code.

They have a whole system for this.

I use facebook groups. Just join as many relevant ones as you can find then let your feed fill with wallet draining goodies.

Ooooh, I like this idea. What other colours/mobs you planning?

/r/miniswap on reddit is my go-to (I'm American though). don't tell anyone though

Did a rushed paint job on this Sigmarine I got for free in order to test a colour scheme. Paint job's shitty, but what does /wip/ think of the colour scheme? I was trying to go for something that'd fit in with my Sylvaneth and woodland free guild.

Hey all.

Bought some paints yesterday and started to give altering mtg a shot. Decided to try with a card that seemed easy.

Holy fuck this is hard.

Also colorblind, so hopefully not too bad.

I think at this point i need to make a light gray and start making the ground under the puma better. And then blend into dark bottom.

Really not sure what I'm going to do with that 1/2 guy on the left.

the color I'll be using to tie the army together will be a garish pastel purple, the specifics I have in mind are a Gaibon-like terrorgheist (the red/blue concept art, not the sprite) and SotN-colors Dracula x Mannfred

I did this thing as my Wight King and posted it in a thread a few days ago because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

for those of you from last night's thread curious about the size of the scibor mini's, here are two of the ones i have next to a guardsman for scale.

I just finished assembling the one on the left, which i've dubbed Brother-Captain Shitkicker, Murderer of Orks

Thanks for that. Yeah, that is massive. The height of a baneblade pretty much, might work as a counts-as Abaddon but even then it'd be humongous. Maybe Daemon Primarch with some conversion, but still.

He has literally the same expression.
I couldn't resist!

I do this too.
>Tonight is the night I'm definitely going to finish those Rhinos.
>Tonight rolls round, God damn I'm tired!

My WIP Rhinos and Razorback for the curious. Insides are done. I've about 50% left to do on the outside then some weathering to finish them off.

>Finally get a new Duncan video after four Emmas in a row, each 20+ minutes long
>It's a 4-minute video about a new technical paint

desu I'm too happy finding out that Duncan still works there to be pissed, but goddamn

Inside. All the doors are hinged except the top hatch on the Razorback and the driver/gunner hatches.

I can't get the damn picture to rotate though.

That is called procrastination.
Jokes aside and included, the only cure for that is to
JUST DO IT
Clean your area completely. Put everything away that isn't "those Rhinos" and just do some. Even for an hour
There is a FB group for just that 1HourANight. Maybe that will help you. But, action begets motivation, not the other way around.

Anyone here play Grey Knights? What did you do for your Librarian(s)? Surely you didn't use the same resin smurf all the normal chapters do.

>Actually doing the insides

You are a better man than me, user.

Alright. Time for bed. I think this is the best I can do for now.

the resin heads I ordered came today. The faces look pretty decent, but the hair is a travesty. Anyone know any good hair sculpting tutorials?

My GS attempts usually turn out terrible. It ends up lumpy rather than smooth, sticks to everything but the model, and even when just filling gaps I can never seem to get a flush finish. How do they do it?

I've heard of some people putting tiny drops of PVA (white/elmers glue i believe) and building them up like that.

get a very thin rod of plastic (look up plastruct on amazon), slice it really thin, and use tweezers and thin plastic cement to apply.

some people use the tip of a very sharp hobby knife instead of tweezers. That may be easier if your rivets are very very small.

santacruzwarhammer.blogspot.co.nz/2008/01/how-to-make-simple-rivets-with-pva-glue.html

that lighting is very yellow so it kind of hard to tell the actual colors.

Daylight LED bulbs are just a few bucks each. They not only are good for painting, but they made my living room be a much nicer place to be too.

>The robes look too dirty so I'll re-do them

no. new chapter. filthy marines

not dedicated to nurgle just really demotivated and too poor to have chapter serfs to clean for them.

>Also colorblind, so hopefully not too bad. The colours seem to mostly match besides that the light blue in the sky is more of a purple/mauve

No!

Keep the robes that way!

Make your entire army look like that! You could have a seriously nice looking army.

Knights Humilitus

16th Founding Ultramarines Successors.

They believe firmly that it they are no better than any common man, but they have been entrusted with the sacred duty to be The Emperor's angels of death. They cover their armor with simple robes and tabards spun from coarse cloth, which they refuse to wash, as a show of humility. Similarly, they avoid lavish trinkets and ornamentation commonly worm by other chapters.

Dunno about the lord, but the hounds could be used as chaos hounds in a renegade ogryn squad.

How the fuck am i supposed to base this nigga?

None of the flat surfaces even touch the base, only the tips of the legs, not enough surface for the glue to work properly desu

I just smacked a clump of greenstuff under his robes and glued that to the base.

Sounds good, gonna have me buy some of that stuff.

Until then, no base 4 you techpriest

Which model is that?

>techpriest
u tell me bruh

Well, "bruh", it's 5 AM and I wasn't sure if there are multiple techpriest models available.

Games Workshop have been kind enough to put together a website cataloging all the models they currently sell.

Placed a little bit of glue under every leg and tangent that touched and gently set in on the base.

Then I painted the base again so any spillover glue looked like the terrain.

Oh look, there's the Tech-Priest Dominus and the Techpriest Enginseer.

So I'll ask again, WHICH MODEL?

It's the Techpriest Dominus, not sure why the other guy is being such a cunt about it.

One of those has legs, one of them has a horrific betentacled robe asshole. The original picture wasn't exactly the sole of someone's boots.

Calm down nikka